JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#426)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-13-2022, 11:24 AM

You're not supposed to adjust duty bias, and only supposed to lower FF in increments of 5.

I'd need to see the log myself for any tuning advice.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#427)
Old

Car: 2022 Kia stinger
Default 05-13-2022, 11:39 AM

Thanks Terry, once I get this squared away it's back to my traction issue which you did mention to try 6-3-0 boost by gear. Than it's time to activate my wmi.
(#428)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-13-2022, 01:49 PM

Yes, boost by gear does wonders for RWD traction! Our diff brace helps too.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#429)
Old

Default 05-18-2022, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
You're not supposed to adjust duty bias, and only supposed to lower FF in increments of 5.

I'd need to see the log myself for any tuning advice.
I had to go all the way down to 20 FF. Is this normal?
(#430)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-19-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posjr408
I had to go all the way down to 20 FF. Is this normal?
No, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. Most over boost situations are resolved at FF = 40.

Burger Motorsports

(#431)
Old

Car: 2021 Kia Stinger GT2
Default 05-19-2022, 01:19 PM

How do you know you're overboosting? Is it by simply looking at the logs or when the JB4 triggers a safety?
(#432)
Old

Default 05-19-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baluchitherium4
How do you know you're overboosting? Is it by simply looking at the logs or when the JB4 triggers a safety?
Car goes into limp mode. I get no codes and my log shows me hitting 20-21psi.
(#433)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-19-2022, 01:25 PM

Quick example of using the JB4 to manage boost targeting and specifically "over boosting" that will often lead to a limp mode and/or p0049 fault code. Note this only applies to those with EWG connectors installed. If you don't have JB4 EWG connectors installed, none of these settings will do anything. So add EWG if you need to fix an over boost or other boost targeting issue.

The JB4 is running what we refer to as integrated wastegate control on the 3.3L platform, which means the ECU is doing the heavy lifting on boost control with the JB4 dynamically adding or subtracting from the wastegate position to fine tune it. The JB4 controls the wastegates through a PID controller.

WGDC represents the JB4 offset to the wastegate position, which is scaled roughly 0-100 in JB4 logs = -15% to +15% dutycycle. A value of 50 in JB4 logs means no offset at all. Wastegate position refers to the position of the flapper in the turbocharger turbine (exhaust side wheel) which is used to control how fast the turbocharger is spinning.

FFPID (FF) in JB4 logs represents the "base" offset applied (feed forward), which is calculated based on internal JB4 mappings and user tweaked using duty bias by RPM and FF globally. Default values for duty bias are 50 across the board, and default for FF user adjustable is 50 across the board.

PID Gain represents the gain portion of the PID control loop that governs the WGDC output, with ECU_PSI being the process variable and DME_BT being the set point. ECU_PSI is the boost signal sent back to the ECU, DME_BT is the modeled boost target. This basically governs how far above or below FF WGDC is allowed to roam. The larger the number the more WGDC can diverge from FF. The default setting is 20 and generally doesn't need to be changed.

When ECU_PSI goes above DME_BT as have an "over boost" situation which the JB4 reacts to by lowering WGDC to lower boost. When ECU_PSI is below DME_BT we have an "under boost" situation which the JB4 reacts to by raising WGDC to increase boost. It can only raise or lower WGDC a certain amount above or below FF as set by PID gain.

I left a lot of the details out above but wanted to give a little background for those familiar with tuning and PID control specifically as to what is going on behind the scenes.

This is the important part: The one user adjustable FF is setup as a global scaling and can be raised or lowered by the user to scale the entire boost targeting algorithm. So generally speaking if you're over boosting lower FF. If you're under boosting raise FF. We've designed the system so that some under boost is desirable. We can get in to why that is in another post down the road.

Here is a customer log from a car running modified exhaust. He started with FF = 60 (higher than default). Notice WGDC is close to 90, meaning the JB4 is adding a lot of WGDC. And predictably boost is way over target, triggering a limp mode. Note boost was not high enough to trigger a JB4 safety map as he set his JB4 safety system at 24psi.

In the second log that same customer lowered FF to 40, which brought the JB4 down to a neutral level of WGDC, around 50, and this resolved his over boosting problem all together. Just with that one simple JB4 setting change.

There is a lot more complexity to the system but TLDR: If you're over boosting make sure JB4 EWG connectors are installed and lower FF until you stop over boosting. Some customers need to go down to 35, 30, and even 20. If you get to 20 and its still happening then probably something else is wrong and at that point contact me with a log of the issue so I can help you further.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#434)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-19-2022, 03:39 PM

Another EWG example, both logs running map2. One with FF = 50, another FF = 40. Note was not enough over boosting to trigger a code or issue but you can see the impact FF changes with no other changes.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#435)
Old

Car: 2019 AWDGT2
Default 05-20-2022, 03:23 AM

I see a slight increase in overall timing too good stuff
(#436)
Old

Car: Kia Stinger GT1 AWD
Default Yesterday, 06:44 AM

Hey I have an odd scenerio. so I have a fully moded 2021 GT1 with JB4 and meth. I added the EGW wires. Prior to adding the wires, I had 0 issues with p0049. Car ran good, but my brother has them in his stinger, and he told me they help with top and and boost spool so I figured, 100 bucks, fook it.

When I first installed the EGW cables, I only hooked them to the JB4. I pinned them into the wiring harness, and left the actual connectors on the other side, just dangling loose in my engine bay, for another day when I had time to pull the air boxes and actually connect them fully.

Anyway, shortly after that I started to have issues with the p0049 error. I assumed because I hooked the pins to the JB4, maybe even without setting any settings, it was trying to control boost, but since, the actual cables were not hooked to the car it couldnt yet, hence the boost error.

Well yesterday I hooked the cables to the car. I just mirrored what my brother has running on his stinger with the same mods. ill add the screenshots in a sec.

Regardless, it made the issue worse. I cant even really floor the car without it going into limp mode or pulling hte 0049.

On a side note, If I have my cell connected to the JB4 and I am looking at all the gauges like MWI flow and RPM, etc, they work until I floor my car, then the app freezes. Like the WMI will stay at 100, the RPM freezes almost like the app is locking up. Now if i disconnect then reconnect it will be back to working, until I floor it again. When I am just crusing or 75 throttle, the app never freezes. If I am taking a log, when the app freezes the log stops.

any idea what would be causing this?
(#437)
Old

Car: Kia Stinger GT1 AWD
Default Yesterday, 06:52 AM

here are the settings see the post above

p.s. i just changed the base settings you see in the screenshots not the stuff at the top with each rpm and gear do i need to do that ( where my brother has the 45 duty cycle stuff
Attached Images