N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
Go Back   N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion > Model-Specific Engine Tuning & Modification Discussion > N54
Reload this Page Any manual trans JB4 owners having issues with bog when shifting really fast?

(#26)
Old

Car: 2008 BSM 135i
Default 04-23-2018, 12:11 PM

I was able to test this and all I can say is... IT WORKS! I'm thrilled. The car finally reacts to super fast shifting abilities. Was so painfully slow before!

Check out the throttle, pedal, and boost levels between the 3-4 shift.

2008 BMW 135i 6MT - Doc Race Single Turbo 6266
752whp/691wtq @ 30psi, weighs 3260lbs

Complete build info: my1series.com
YouTube channel: youtube.com/jakespence135
Instagram updates: instagram.com/jakespence
N54 t-shirts, etc: bimmerstreet.com
(#27)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-23-2018, 12:12 PM

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#28)
Old

Car: S2000
Default 04-23-2018, 10:44 PM

It DEFINITELY works!!!!!! Thanks to BMS again for the platform support. I can post my before and after logs as soon as I figure out how to post pics. The error I’m getting is the screenshot is too large.
(#29)
Old

Car: 2009 E92 n54, 7''fmic, ********, jb4g5 2step relay, bms dci occ chargepipe synapse bov
Default 04-27-2018, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
If so we've got something new for you to test.

Side Effects:

1) As implemented, the JB4 is not currently reading gear, so boost by gear has been changed to boost by speed. Where 1st is < 40mph, 2nd is 60mph, and 3rd is 86mph. We've got some ideas to correct this back to true boost by gear we'll need to flush out.
2) With the DME no longer seeing the clutch position cruise control doesn't work.
3) The clutch safety start logic appears fully functional. Test and let me know if you find otherwise!
4) You'll have a shadow code stored for clutch pedal signal not active. Just ignore it.

would this side effect affect the BMS PI controller ?
(#30)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 04-27-2018, 09:47 AM

Hey terry will this affect the manual shift bog that mhd gives with the backend flash !?
(#31)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 04-27-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyyardie
Hey terry will this affect the manual shift bog that mhd gives with the backend flash !?
Makes no difference, that setting is supposed to help shift bog but many users still had issues.

The way this is implemented is different but it works 100%. Give it a try, you wont be disappointed!

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#32)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 04-27-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgu40
would this side effect affect the BMS PI controller ?
It should not have any, I am using this on my car with BMS PI. You just can't use the NLS/2step RELAY, DO NOT NLS.

Burger Motorsports

(#33)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 04-27-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Makes no difference, that setting is supposed to help shift bog but many users still had issues.

The way this is implemented is different but it works 100%. Give it a try, you wont be disappointed!
Loading it up as we speak.
Will my boost by gear remain the same boost pressure although itís mph now. As in will it still be 10 psi 1st and 12 psi 2nd
(#34)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 04-27-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Will my boost by gear remain the same boost pressure although it’s mph now. As in will it still be 10 psi 1st and 12 psi 2nd
Yes, but it is still in development. Needs a bit more work to be accurate. Works Via Speed.

Burger Motorsports

Last edited by Payam @ BMS; 04-27-2018 at 12:40 PM..
(#35)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 04-27-2018, 11:47 AM

Exciting. I'll load it tonight and do a test. Will try to get a log to show effect on stock turbo fbo pump. Getting hard to do high speed logs around here thanks to revenue ticketing.

2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread
(#36)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-27-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Will my boost by gear remain the same boost pressure although itís mph now. As in will it still be 10 psi 1st and 12 psi 2nd
No, it will now reflect on speed instead of gear, as indicated in the first post.

Burger Motorsports

(#37)
Old

Car: e92 n54 pre lci
Default 04-28-2018, 04:14 PM

This is great news Terry! I can't wait to try this out. Hopefully it won't rain tomorrow. I have shift bog bad wot and 3-4 post shift. It doesn't really occur if I shift slow but that's just really annoying to do. I thought about contacting my tuner about torque limiting but I'll just give this firmware a try first.

Look at this 4th gear post bog with my throttle cut
Attached Images

(#38)
Old

Car: 07 335i
Default 04-28-2018, 05:25 PM

Flash only people, can we just remove out clutch wire from the dme?
(#39)
Old

Default 04-28-2018, 08:32 PM

This fix helped my car out big time. Much cleaner shifts.
(#40)
Old

Default 04-29-2018, 12:37 PM

Great job Terry! After a couple of pulls, it looks like it completely fixed my bog issue. These are with fast shifts too btw.
Attached Images

FBO MT N54 w/stock turbos-tuned by Trebila
(#41)
Old

Car: 2008 135i
Default 04-29-2018, 02:24 PM

I just exploded my intake manifold over the weekend working on my e85 tune. But I was having major shift bog issues. Once my DocRace manifold shows up I'll give this a whirl.

DocRace Top Mount w/ Precision BB 6266 - JB4 G5 - BMS Pump flash - 650HP AD-E Intercooler - BERK Race Exhaust - Fuel-It Stage 2 Fuel pump - ER Chargepipe w/ TIAL BOV - 560whp @ 20psi on 93 octane only
(#42)
Old

Car: 09 135i
Default 04-29-2018, 06:17 PM

Will this works with a custom backend flash? Thanks

09 135I MT jb4 g5 iso 32.5, mhd Trebila backend flash. 7" vrsf intercooler, ETS chargepipe with synapse BOV, MMP-E relocation inlets and outlets, fuelit stage 2 lpfp, vrsf **** **. AP midpipe, berk race axleback, ngk 5992 .022, 3.5 bar sensor w/ bms adapter
(#43)
Old

Default 04-30-2018, 07:19 AM

Just to be clear if I have the 2 Step/NLS relay wired in right now this will not work right? Also with a custom BEF there is no impact either where it is just the clutch wire?
(#44)
Old

Car: 2008 BSM 135i
Default 04-30-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce 135i
Just to be clear if I have the 2 Step/NLS relay wired in right now this will not work right? Also with a custom BEF there is no impact either where it is just the clutch wire?
I have the 2-step/NLS relay and a custom backend flash, but the shiftbog fix still works. The 2-step and NLS will NOT work, so don't try to use them.

2008 BMW 135i 6MT - Doc Race Single Turbo 6266
752whp/691wtq @ 30psi, weighs 3260lbs

Complete build info: my1series.com
YouTube channel: youtube.com/jakespence135
Instagram updates: instagram.com/jakespence
N54 t-shirts, etc: bimmerstreet.com
(#45)
Old

Default 04-30-2018, 07:29 AM

Will this eventually work with the NLS / 2-step? It's clearly still in development, so will that be the plan?

DocRace Top Mount w/ Precision BB 6266 - JB4 G5 - BMS Pump flash - 650HP AD-E Intercooler - BERK Race Exhaust - Fuel-It Stage 2 Fuel pump - ER Chargepipe w/ TIAL BOV - 560whp @ 20psi on 93 octane only
(#46)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-30-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnilKram
Will this works with a custom backend flash? Thanks
It should work with any BEF.

Burger Motorsports

(#47)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-30-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xshadows
Will this eventually work with the NLS / 2-step? It's clearly still in development, so will that be the plan?
The 2STEP is still active with it. The JB4 NLS logic itself (cutting power to the coils) is currently disabled, although I'd be curious to see how the DME reacts to a NLS with it.

Burger Motorsports

(#48)
Old

Default 04-30-2018, 01:19 PM

I'm tuned by trebila running this firmware. Anyways, while driving this daily I've noticed the throttle engagement is a lot more noticeable when initially pressing your foot on the gas. My car can get a little jerky. I assume that's a natural drawback to the firmware for the bogfix. Not a big deal. Terry, do you think you'll be able to work around the cruise control? Also, I haven't tried anti lag on this firmware. Is that advisable? Haha. Thanks again.

Keith

FBO MT N54 w/stock turbos-tuned by Trebila
(#49)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 04-30-2018, 03:08 PM

Did some 1/2 mile Shift bog testing yesterday. I have a bunch more videos I will need to edit and put together.

I was trying to get some good runs but my transmission decided otherwise. It wouldn't let me fast shift into second or even shift into it at some points. I was mostly doing slow shifts into second to get some good traps but didn't even try for records.

Burger Motorsports

Last edited by Payam @ BMS; 04-30-2018 at 04:28 PM..
(#50)
Old

Default 05-05-2018, 11:21 AM

Also curious if 2step (for launching) and anti lag would be functional later on. Also, if I were to go on long road trip, would it be easy enough to plug in the clutch wire and keeping using the firmware, then just pull the pin back out after the trip? My car isnt a daily so cruise controll is rarely used but, it is still handy for the highway.