N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2014 650i Gran Coupe
Default Getting 21.8 PSI on N63TU Map 1 & 4 with MAF installed..? - 11-20-2019, 07:09 AM

So this is my first post and I have been emailing with Burger to get some feedback but wanted to get some second opinions before I make any changes. Logs attached.

I purchased the unit in June and finally got around to installing it last week. Pulled the IC and installed the BCM's as well. And immediately the car was transformed to a beast. I was easily hitting 21 PSI and had left the MAF's in by mistake but throwing no codes. I did however get booted out of Map 1 into Map 4 but with no safety code? The AFR's didn't seem crazy lean, and my overboost safety is set at 24 psi. Also I am running 93 Octane

The really odd part is.. I still hit 21 PSI in Map 4.. Has anyone experienced this? Technically this works out great.. I can stay in Map 4, MAF's in, no codes, and hit 21 PSI which is spinning into 3rd!?

I have been told to install the latest firmware, but I want to get a second opinion since the car appears to be running great, with plenty of power and no codes. I figure best to just update but still curious if anyone see's anything that explains why its doing this. The target does seem weird.. just at 4 the whole time.. isn't that supposed to be target boost? Is that a +4 psi target?

Also, anyone have any estimate on what kind of power I should be getting at this boost level? All stock N63TU w/ JB4 (BCM installed) on 93 octane.

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited by HiRide; 11-20-2019 at 07:16 AM..
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-20-2019, 03:52 PM

You're reading boost against a closed throttle body so it's inflated.

For your model to work properly the MAF sensors need to be unplugged.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 11-20-2019, 07:36 PM

Gotcha, thanks. So I have updated the firmware and unplugged MAF's. Good news is the MAP 4 is a safety map again and targets 0 psi over ecu.

I am still hitting 21 PSI but I am not sure what you mean by reading against a closed throttle body. I am at WOT, which I understand is pedal position but the throttle position is that the throttle figure in the logs? If so, why is the throttle not fully open? Sorry I don't know much about the details.

I did notice something. The system still drops to MAP 4 from MAP 1 but only when I am using WOT and the kickdown button. I have two logs with a drop to map 4 and two without and I finally noticed it.. is that the actual reason or a coincidence and any idea why or what I did to cause that?

Also, do the AFR's seem high now?
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-11-20 21_03_00_Map-1.csv (12.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: csv 2019-11-20 21_03_29_Map-1.csv (16.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: csv 2019-11-20 20_55_16_Map-1 TO SAFETY 4.csv (12.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: csv 2019-11-20 21_07_29_Map-1 TO SAFETY 4.csv (7.2 KB, 3 views)
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-20-2019, 08:24 PM

Something is still wrong here. For the next log change duty bias all to 0 across the board, FF to 0, and do a log on map1 again. Don't need multiple logs.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 11-21-2019, 04:37 PM

Ok logged a run with all set to zero. Boost levels are lower but quite a bit and it doesnít feel as intense but the throttle is opening up into to 90ís so I think I get what you mean by the false reading with throttle closed . But it really does feel slower. That said no drop to map 4 regardless of pedal or gear that I can tell.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-11-21 17_58_56_Map-1.csv (7.2 KB, 6 views)
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-21-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRide
Ok logged a run with all set to zero. Boost levels are lower but quite a bit and it doesnít feel as intense but the throttle is opening up into to 90ís so I think I get what you mean by the false reading with throttle closed . But it really does feel slower. That said no drop to map 4 regardless of pedal or gear that I can tell.
Good, at least things are looking more normal. Let's crank it back up a bit now. Set duty bias to 10 across the board and relog map1.

Burger Motorsports

(#7)
Old

Default 11-21-2019, 08:50 PM

Way ahead of you! I realized itís the boost level from duty thatís knocking it into map 4. When the ecu is reading 17+ lbs of boost the throttle backs off. So Iíve been tweaking duty to maximize area under the curve and part throttle boost without causing throttle to close. I may have taken duty up to 90 by 3000 rpm but back down to 0 by 6000 rpm and itís utterly violent. And usually doesnít trip me into map 4. Itís ridiculous.!!! Iím hitting full boost by 3000 rpm and just lighting up the tires into 3rd. Iím too high for sure and backed off since the throttle is still closing up but Iíll get it dialed in a load up a new map. Right now I ramping up to about 60 by 3000 rpm and back down to 0 by 6000 rpm.
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-21-2019, 09:04 PM

The boost safety can be raised to around 19psi.

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old

Default 11-21-2019, 09:07 PM

Ok cool Iíll dial it in to max out around there and then send another log where hopefully we get the boost without dropping to safety.