N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 bmw 335i
Default Turbos - 11-14-2020, 09:55 AM

I'm looking to see if anyone knows of anyone with turbos in-stock I ordered a set of cg lites over a month ago and they still haven't shipped and the date keeps getting pushed back im thinking of canceling the order and getting some thing that is in stock. Any help would be appreciated
(#2)
Old

Car: BMW
Default 11-14-2020, 01:43 PM

I'm pretty sure Pure and RB have them in stock. If you wait until Black Friday Pure has 15% off.

2013 335is: V8Bait tuned, M4 DCT flywheel, E50 + AEM meth kit with dual BM5 nozzles, PR relocated inlets, VRSF outlets, CTS 7" IC, BMP Stage 2 fuel pump, PR coils, 3" DP, BMS charge pipe
2018 340i: Pure Stage 1 turbo, BMS meth kit, BMS intake, JB4 + MHD, DP
2011 335d: BRR tuned
(#3)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 E93
Default 11-14-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockman1228
I'm looking to see if anyone knows of anyone with turbos in-stock I ordered a set of cg lites over a month ago and they still haven't shipped and the date keeps getting pushed back im thinking of canceling the order and getting some thing that is in stock. Any help would be appreciated
Yeah, been difficult to get things from China lately.
(#4)
Old

Car: 2008 bmw 335i
Default 11-14-2020, 07:41 PM

I didn't know vargas turbos were from China?
(#5)
Old

Car: e93 335i
Default 11-14-2020, 10:17 PM

Have had multiple friends order 19t turbos from China and receive them in less than 2 weeks so not sure if China is the issue.
(#6)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 11-15-2020, 11:03 AM

Pretty much the entire N54 market has gone Chinese, cast a logo into a housing and they show up on a pallet to be repackaged. Much easier process than building them one by one by hand using ones own machinery, that they may or may not even have pending on the vendor in question. This usually helps a vendor keep up with the high demand this platform brings along with it, and allows for a typical "On the shelf ready for shipping with no cores required" type of marketing.

I do believe RB is the only one left standing in the regard of building using Authentic parts and high end balancing machinery, a timely process that can wind up with some lengthy turn arounds pending on the state of our backlogs; which is a process that does have a core charge.

Ultimately it is pretty easy to tell who is doing what: Either you get the tank heavy cast turbofolds that look brand new day 1 and then rust in a couple days, or the OE MHI authentic stainless housings that may look refurbished that are stamped with the BMW roundel and Boysen on the manifold.

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 11-15-2020 at 11:09 AM..
(#7)
Old

Car: 2003 Forester
Default 11-16-2020, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
Ultimately it is pretty easy to tell who is doing what: Either you get the tank heavy cast turbofolds that look brand new day 1 and then rust in a couple days, or the OE MHI authentic stainless housings that may look refurbished that are stamped with the BMW roundel and Boysen on the manifold.
You are definitely more informed that me but I was under the belief that the CHRA and compressor cover are built by MHI and shipped to BMW where they are married to the Boysen turbofolds, cats, catback.

I thought this was the issue with the wategate bushing going bad being made by Boysen. I've had TD03/04/05 MHI turbos with 200k miles on them that still function perfectly. Wastegate included.

When I shipped my OEM turbos back for a core there was zero axial play and the standard amount of radial play for a journal bearing turbo but the wastegate bushings were toast as well as the arm ovaled out severely.
(#8)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 11-16-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatupVR4
You are definitely more informed that me but I was under the belief that the CHRA and compressor cover are built by MHI and shipped to BMW where they are married to the Boysen turbofolds, cats, catback.

I thought this was the issue with the wategate bushing going bad being made by Boysen. I've had TD03/04/05 MHI turbos with 200k miles on them that still function perfectly. Wastegate included.

When I shipped my OEM turbos back for a core there was zero axial play and the standard amount of radial play for a journal bearing turbo but the wastegate bushings were toast as well as the arm ovaled out severely.
If you are requesting the precise build strategy of the Authentic OEM's, it would be like this:
1) Boysen produces the exhaust manifold, double wall insulated air gap design.
2) MHI produces the entire turbocharger (Compressor housing, CHRA, Turbine housing/internal wastegate assembly)
3) One or the other above receives the counter component, or perhaps even another 3rd party; and both items are married to one another.

Regarding OEM N54 turbo failures, coming from one who has without question dismantle more of them than anyone else in the world (literally in the thousands), the failure modes are in this order:
1) Wastegate Wear- Nearly every unit has some degree of wastegate wear, most of them very large amounts and very few low amounts. It is inherent in time due to the vacuum control wastegate assemblies, as the hardware is left open most of its life and is subjected to constant unlubricated movement even in its "inactive" states (ie. it only gets a "break" at very high WGDC's).
2) Turbine seal and ductility- With many thousands of heat cycles and over many years of service, the seals simply lose their tension and effectively can not keep a good seal with the Centersection. This is noted as nearly every unit, close to all of them, I disassemble the piston ring turbine seal simply snaps into pieces (ie. brittle) when trying to remove. Also most all of them are squeezed into the groove, with zero "outward spring" remaining.
3) Thrust bearing failures- Many core units do come back with thrust bearing wear. Most are likely from tuned N54's and thus were pushed over some amount of time. If one were to run OE boost levels this likely would not ever be much of a concern.

Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 11-16-2020 at 09:31 AM..