N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: bmw 335i
Default Initially overshooting boost target in map 6 with hybrids - 11-25-2019, 06:38 PM

Hey, just need some help adjusting settings in map 6 for my new hybrid turbos. Sorry this log is not the best, I forgot to turn off traction control but you get the idea. Hopefully this log will suffice.

I have set map 6 to the recommended settings for hybrid turbos but I don't know what to adjust from here to fix this. As you can see, boost initially overshoots the target then it's ok. If I do a wot pull from 1st 2nd 3rd it's even worse and will overshoot enough to put me into map 4. Please let me know what direction to head in to adjust this. Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-11-25 overboost_Map-6.csv (6.6 KB, 47 views)
(#2)
Old

Car: 07 E90 335i
Default 11-25-2019, 07:11 PM

Probably need a better log to fully see what’s going on 3rd gear 2k to redline

Start with Map 1 or 2 until you have things dailed in

Good to list all mods and fuel type

07 E90 AT - xHP
JB4 G5 - Trebila BEF
FBO
Hybrids
(#3)
Old

Default 11-25-2019, 07:26 PM

I have this better log from yesterday. It wasn't doing it nearly as bad as usual that time but maybe this will help:
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-11-24 21psi taper_Map-6.csv (8.9 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by kyle_rg85; 11-25-2019 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: typos
(#4)
Old

Default 11-25-2019, 07:29 PM

Oh and some car info:

-335i auto
-JB4 with MHD hybrid race BEF
-Dynamic Autowerx stage 4 turbos
-Replaced boost solenoids with OEM units
-Have vacuum canisters still installed
-Full bolt on (intercooler, turbo outlet, inlets, charge pipe with Tial BOV etc)
-water meth injection

On a mix of about 40% e85 and 60% 91 octane
(#5)
Old

Car: 08 E60 535i
Default 11-25-2019, 07:49 PM

I think Dave was trying to have you do another log with map 1 in your other post. I'd start there as you'll get the issue resolved faster sticking with just one thread and doing the instructed log. Hard to tell what's going on unless you start with the basics so I'd leave map 6 alone till map 1 points things out. Just my opinion though.

Brandon
Hayden, Idaho.

* 08' 535I. * JB4 W/ Bluetooth Connect & custom tune. * Billy Boat 535I 3.5" *****-back exhaust W/ resonator delete. * BMS DCI. * NGK 2 step colder plugs @ .020" (And I mean .020" on money!). * New Eldor coils. * BMS BOV adapter and BMS Vac side OCC. * BMS Chargepipe. * TIAL BOV W/ Hard 1/4" Vacuum line W/stock spring. * XHP Stage 2 * C-@-T TUBES.

[/SIGPIC]
(#6)
Old

Default 11-25-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbelstad
I think Dave was trying to have you do another log with map 1 in your other post. I'd start there as you'll get the issue resolved faster sticking with just one thread and doing the instructed log. Hard to tell what's going on unless you start with the basics so I'd leave map 6 alone till map 1 points things out. Just my opinion though.
ok cool. Yes I did have another post, different boost issues though because I was a dumbass and didn't set things correctly lol. I did some pulls in map 1 and 2 and boost looked on target from what I remember but I will post a map 1 log if you guys think it will help
(#7)
Old

Default 11-25-2019, 08:27 PM

Dave or one of the others will get you fixed up and burning off tired straight away. They always do. Just if they need to see a specific map they have a good reason I suppose. Your turbos are working well though!

Brandon
Hayden, Idaho.

* 08' 535I. * JB4 W/ Bluetooth Connect & custom tune. * Billy Boat 535I 3.5" *****-back exhaust W/ resonator delete. * BMS DCI. * NGK 2 step colder plugs @ .020" (And I mean .020" on money!). * New Eldor coils. * BMS BOV adapter and BMS Vac side OCC. * BMS Chargepipe. * TIAL BOV W/ Hard 1/4" Vacuum line W/stock spring. * XHP Stage 2 * C-@-T TUBES.

[/SIGPIC]
(#8)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 11-26-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_rg85
I have this better log from yesterday. It wasn't doing it nearly as bad as usual that time but maybe this will help:
Tbh don’t see much wrong with the log here at all- boost goes slightly over target barely around the 4xxx mark, & a few cyl 6 corrections - that clean up.

LPFP looks to be near / at limit dipping into the upper 50s- but besides that, this looks overall ok.

What are you wanting to do? Tbh you need to drive the car / let it adapt - vs changing settings each pull.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#9)
Old

Default 11-26-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Tbh don’t see much wrong with the log here at all- boost goes slightly over target barely around the 4xxx mark, & a few cyl 6 corrections - that clean up.

LPFP looks to be near / at limit dipping into the upper 50s- but besides that, this looks overall ok.

What are you wanting to do? Tbh you need to drive the car / let it adapt - vs changing settings each pull.
oh ok thanks, maybe I'll just do some driving in map 1 and 2 and let it adapt? It was overshooting by 3-5 psi in the 3500-4500 rpm region when doing pulls from 1st-3rd gear on map 6. You can see on my first log what it does sometimes, but maybe that's normal before it adapts?
(#10)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-26-2019, 11:27 AM

When making map changes & boost changes in map 6- it does take a few WOT pulls to adapt.

The advice I give most- change maps as little as possible. Find a map the car likes, make some small adjustments as needed & leave it.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#11)
Old

Default 11-26-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
When making map changes & boost changes in map 6- it does take a few WOT pulls to adapt.

The advice I give most- change maps as little as possible. Find a map the car likes, make some small adjustments as needed & leave it.
ok cool thanks, your help is much appreciated. So would you say the recommended duty bias settings seem ok for me so far? And I guess if it is still over boosting in a certain rpm range after driving for a while I could lower the duty bias a bit?
(#12)
Old

Default 11-26-2019, 12:15 PM

oh and when running a 3.5 bar map is the boost scaled differently on my gauges? Before it was 0-20psi on my oil temp gauge, is now like 0-30psi or something? Doesn't seem to be maxing out even though I'm a little over 20psi
(#13)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-26-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_rg85
oh and when running a 3.5 bar map is the boost scaled differently on my gauges? Before it was 0-20psi on my oil temp gauge, is now like 0-30psi or something? Doesn't seem to be maxing out even though I'm a little over 20psi
Yes.

And you can adjust duty bias sure. Try to not make changes super drastic between the RPM ranges. For example if your duty bias is 50 @ 4K, I wouldn’t set 4.5k to “70”.

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old

Default 11-26-2019, 03:03 PM

ok thanks Dave, I will do some more driving and post better logs if there are still issues
(#15)
Old

Default 11-26-2019, 04:09 PM

Easy peasy!

Brandon
Hayden, Idaho.

[/SIGPIC]