N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 335i
Default WTB N54 Valve Cover - 11-29-2016, 08:14 AM

Recently went to change the gasket on my valve cover and noticed a small chip in the groove that holds the gasket. Went ahead and installed the new gasket in hoping that the gasket would seal the small chip, seeing as how small it was but unfortunately it is leaking from that exact spot. I've searched online for a Valve cover but everyone wants $400+ which seems a little high for a piece of hard plastic designed to crack. Dealership wants an arm and leg at $750. Thought I'd check with you all to see what was out there. Car is 08 335i N54. Also wanted to see if there is a better aftermarket solution? Thanks in advance!
(#2)
Old

Car: 2009 335i Coupe 6MT
Default 11-29-2016, 09:43 AM

They are very overpriced! I got mine from a BMW dealer on eBay during the summer for $360. Supposedly, the new ones were revised in some way and should not crack. Probably why they doubled in price over the past few years. haha!
(#3)
Old

Default 11-29-2016, 09:51 AM

It's crazy but I guess it is/was a good marketing decision to go with the hard plastic. I may even see about hitting up a few local junkyards to see what they have to offer. I've seen a few on ebay but am somewhat worrisome buying one from there. Easy to hide hairline fractures
(#4)
Old

Car: 2009 335i Coupe 6MT
Default 11-29-2016, 09:59 AM

I would advise against a used one, unless you don't plan on keeping the car much longer. I reused my cover after replacing the gasket, and it cracked within a month.
(#5)
Old

Default 11-29-2016, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely keep that in mind and avoid used.
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Car: 2009 335i AT
Default 11-29-2016, 08:15 PM

Why don't you try a gasket sealer to glue your new gasket into your existing cover.
Or you could use JB Weld to repair your current cover.

Should be worth a shot considering how much a new cover costs.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Default 11-30-2016, 06:57 AM

I thought about it but my father was helping me when cleaning the valve cover and gasket surface area. He took the cover to blow out any debris with an air nozzle and that's when he noticed the small chip blow out. We searched for the small chip but couldn't find it. I thought about the jb weld idea also but was curious to if that would be a reasonable fix or if it may create more problems. I guess I could always sand it flat but was slightly worried about taking this route. What are y'alls thoughts?
(#8)
Old

Default 12-05-2016, 07:38 AM

I went ahead and bought a new one with gasket and bolts included on ECS Tuning for $379 to give myself peace of mind of not having to deal with a used one being warped or leaking. Thanks to everyone for the input and info!