N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: e92 BMW 335
Question Precision Racework Stage 3 Modular Pump? - 11-28-2016, 12:29 AM

What's going on everybody? This past weekend, during the Black Friday Sale, I was fortunate enough to order Precesion Raceworks new Stage 3 Modular Fuel Pump (LPFP) . During that time, I had the opportunity to talk to one of the employees about the new system. One of my main questions was how will the second pump get activated, since they don't supply a Hobbs switch just as Fuel-it does? He told me that I would have to order a Hobbs switch or I could use the Jb4 to activate the second pump, either by using the meth screen or the nitrous screen, since not too many people use nitrous on this platform. I want to know has anybody used the JB4 instead of the Hobbs switch while using the Fuel it stage 3 lpfp or should I just stick with what works for now? Finally a cheaper stage 3 lpfp soultion! Thank gawd for competition!

E92 Chameleon AT 335I/ MMP Stage 3 turbos/ EOS manifold w PI/ PR Stage 3 Modular LPFP/ JB4 G5 + MHD/ BMS DCI/ BMS Cowl Filters/ BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve/ BMS OCC/ BMS Meth Kit/MMP inlets and outlets/ER CP w/ Synaspe BOV/ M2 Exhaust/VRSF DP/ETS FMIC/ /N20TMAP/ R1 Concept Rotors and Brakes/ST V1 Coilovers/ 888Concept headlights/
(#2)
Old

Car: E90 LCI 335i
Default 11-28-2016, 02:50 AM

I'd use the exhaust flap solenoid wires to trigger a relay for the second pump and you can tweak the torque request % for exhaust flap actuation in the DME flash.
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 11-28-2016, 05:23 PM

Just a few things to consider. Yes it's a little cheaper but there are reasons for that and once you start to weigh them out...

1. DIY: It's a DIY, so you have to break down your own bucket and do the install yourself. We break down hundreds of buckets and that doesn't always go well. If you damage yours in the process...now what?

2. Testing: Once you do get the pump(s) assembled, how do you test it and know the pumps are good and that the venturi hasn't been clogged in the process?
Pump: While Walbro 450 pumps are pretty robust a small percentage are bad out of the box. This typically presents itself as vibration and low flow, something you'd only catch on a flow bench.
Venturi: About 10% of our pump assemblies end up with clogged venturi's, this means the bucket will run dry and can burn up the pumps. This is why we test all of our pump assemblies for flows, current draw, and venturi functionality, so we know we are sending you a good working pump assembly.
3. Our pumps are sent with everything needed to install them and are plug and play, no sourcing additional parts.

4. Tech support, as you noticed, you didn't get the answers you needed, hence the reason for this post.

5. We've been asked numerous times to do a DIY option, we choose not to for many of these reasons. If we are offering technical support we want to know that you are starting with a good pump assembly and not be troubleshooting that as well.

We understand wanting to save a few bucks, but at the end of the day once you start factoring time, additional cost, and tech support, the savings could evaporate very quickly.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Car: 2009 335i AT
Default 11-28-2016, 05:52 PM

+1^ All good points.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 11-29-2016, 09:40 AM

All valid & good points Steve.

I'll add, i imagine a decent amount of our stage 2 owners get the "itch" for more power and outgrow his or her stage 2 pump & need a stage 3 option. For our current Fuel-It! Stage 2 customers, we have a really nice trade in/upgrade policy in place for you guys (policy here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=509794 ).

Saving a few dollars initially on paper sometimes seems like a solid idea, but as we all know when modifying things don't always go as planned. I'm not sure if any of you have actually looked at our LPFP buckets, it's an extremely tight fit & not a fun or easy process. If you factor in time, trouble shooting/backtracking, and heaven forbid anything breaks, attempting to save a little $ up front can actually end up costing you more + leaving your car down too.

-Dave

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.