N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2009 535xi
Default log help - 11-23-2016, 11:19 AM

Just got my 09 535i back after swapping a used motor in. Old one had a spun bearing. My question is what map should I log in? I want to see whats going on with this new "used" motor before doing any aggressive pulls. I did new spark plugs, valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, belt, and cleaned out the intake.
thanks
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Car: 2009 335i AT
Default 11-23-2016, 04:46 PM

Try map 4 (just for logging) for a start if you want but then go to map 1 for some real data. Do logs in third gear starting at 1500 rpm up to 6000 rpm.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 11-25-2016, 01:16 PM

Set all the JB4 settings back to default as well.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#4)
Old

Default 11-30-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell @ BMS
Try map 4 (just for logging) for a start if you want but then go to map 1 for some real data. Do logs in third gear starting at 1500 rpm up to 6000 rpm.
Sorry this took so long. I was finally able to log in map 4 and do some 3rd gear pulls. Last time I posted a log with the old motor Steve@bms said to enable 6 cylinder timing I could not find that setting.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 161130_1000.csv (23.7 KB, 98 views)
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Car: 2009 335i AT
Default 11-30-2016, 05:08 PM

For 6 cyl timing go to the User Adjustment tab. In the bottom right corner you will see "6-cyl timing Logging" where you enter either a 4,5 or 7 to enable logging depending on your DME program. If your not sure which program you have just try entering 4,5 or 7 until you get all cylinders recording timing values.

Your logs look normal. I would go to map 1 and do some more logs will all cyl timing active.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Default 11-30-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell @ BMS
For 6 cyl timing go to the User Adjustment tab. In the bottom right corner you will see "6-cyl timing Logging" where you enter either a 4,5 or 7 to enable logging depending on your DME program. If your not sure which program you have just try entering 4,5 or 7 until you get all cylinders recording timing values.

Your logs look normal. I would go to map 1 and do some more logs will all cyl timing active.
Thanks. So right after that log I just posted I went back to work. When I came back to leave hours later I got a check engine light which I have had before but only with this engine (2D2E angle of throttle valve - intake pipe underpressure. correlation). Every time I get this which has happened maybe 5 times now I delete the code and everythings all good. But this time it was running like complete crap. So I popped open the laptop and bing bam boom even more codes. Misfire on 5 and 6 and also a code for multiple misfires. I deleted them restarted the car and off I go no problems. I did however notice some semi-rough idle at stop lights.

I checked all of the hoses to see if something got missed maybe something loose but everything looks fine. This Engine was just put in not even 300 miles ago so working the kinks out?....sigh

I dont know but I will go to map 1 and log and post tomorrow if the weather is ok. And I just remembered I did not reset the jb4 to default..going to that.
Thank You for the help

Last edited by Jaynote; 11-30-2016 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: left out a thank you lol
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-01-2016, 10:51 AM

Sounds like it may be a boost leak.

We've seen this before when our CP o-ring mysteriously went missing.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#8)
Old

Default 12-01-2016, 11:48 AM

Thanks Steve I did read that post about the o ring missing. I will have to check that out. I also noticed my idle rpm is a little higher than usual but still under 1000 rpm. Could be because of a boost leak.

I believe I figured out how to enable 6 cylinder timing. I had to enter 5. I am totally new to this so hopefully I am not being annoyingly newbish lol.

attached is my log in map 1. I am curious does anything reflect a boost leak. Or a reason for the misfires.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 161201_1209.csv (25.2 KB, 90 views)
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-02-2016, 08:39 AM

You'll need to do logs at wide open throttle and it looks like you could use some better fuel.

(#10)
Old

Default 12-02-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
You'll need to do logs at wide open throttle and it looks like you could use some better fuel.
Okay I will go wot all the way through first, second and third gear. I filled up at the same gas station I always use. mobile by my work and I always fill up with 93 octane.....do I need to have a little talk with the gas station owner....makes me want to test the gas I am getting and PAYING FOR. I mean who really knows what they are getting. If you mean better than 93 octane then I am interested.

No codes or misfires since the other day and seems to be running good.

Thanks again Steve I will post another log this weekend sometime.
(#11)
Old

Default 12-02-2016, 03:44 PM

Here is my log wot map 1. Forgot my traction control was on in the beginning I immediately turned it off. I am going to check my cp tonight for the o ring or any other kinds of leaks. I am still not happy with my high idle. my bmw shop told me to stay away from mobile gas and stick to shell.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 161202_1634.csv (27.2 KB, 104 views)
(#12)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-04-2016, 10:44 AM

Per the logging directions, logs should be taken in 3rd gear for better analysis and adaption.

Other than some timing corrections it looks pretty normal.

(#13)
Old

Default 12-05-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Per the logging directions, logs should be taken in 3rd gear for better analysis and adaption.

Other than some timing corrections it looks pretty normal.
Thank you Steve. I have an automatic trans. Even in sport mode manually shifting it wants to down shift when given 100% throttle in 3rd gear. I got annoyed and just logged from a dead stop and did 100% throttle.

What is your opinion of octane boosters? After I burn through this tank of mobile one I will be filling up with shell gas and maybe post a log for the hell of it.

As always Thank You for your time and have a good one!
(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-05-2016, 10:25 AM

The kickdown can be defeated in the flash or you can get a kickdown blocker from BMS.

No first hand experience with octane boosters as we always run ethanol.

Others may have some input though.