N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2007 335xi 6MT Sedan
Default N54 Flashable 2-Step Launch Control (335 6MT) - 12-20-2015, 09:52 AM

Hello everyone, Justin here. Kinda the new guy here on the forums but happy to be here. Anyway, I've been poking around the boards making post here and there helping out where I could and etc. and through poking around i noticed that any mention of a 2-step launch control for the N54 the end result was one of a few things.

1. Buy a JB4
2. Buy a Procede
3. Buy a WOT Box

Maybe missed a couple, but you get the point. Anyway, so I decided to start doing some of my own testing and poking around tables in the DME using the XDF repository and I believe i have what is the beginning of implementation of Two Step Launch Control via factory DME flash programming.

This is still VERY VERY early stages of my testing, but i am in contact with MHD Tuning about all my findings. and i will post updates here as well as I progress. Hopefully the end result winds up being with the help of MHD Tuning we can bring about mass implementation of Flashable Two-Step launch control on the N54.

But all talk and no proof, what is that worth? So here is a log Showing it in action....

3500rpm two step launch from 1st into 2nd gear

http://***********/u/twistedtuning/la...?log=0&data=24

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgqx4N03OFE

Test Number 2:

http://***********/u/twistedtuning/tw...?log=0&data=24

Video:
https://youtu.be/IuP6t9VN2-Y
Attached Images

"Increasing the Area Under The Curve"
Custom Performance ECU Calibration
www.twistedtuning.com
twistedtuned@gmail.com

Last edited by TwistedTuning; 12-31-2015 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: updating/resizing picture attachments
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-20-2015, 10:20 AM

Replied to the other thread but I'll just make the same post here since I check this forum more often.

What you want to have happen during the 2STEP is boost set point set to a normal value & throttle open so the WG will close and turbos will spool up. Then when you let off the clutch there is boost on tap to carry it forward.

Setting the gear=0 RPM limiters in the flash I don't think will allow for a target and otherwise normal operation at least not without some logic change. Also, is there a side effect like when letting pushing in the clutch at higher RPM or during shifts?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 12-20-2015, 10:23 AM

Thank god someone is finally figuring this out!

~MHD Stage 2+~3.5 Bar Tmap~PR Ignition Kit~VTT Inlets~VTT Cast Valve Cover~VTT Dual CC~XClutch Twin Disk~BMS Short Shifter~ER Competition FMIC Kit w/ HKS SSQV~3"AR DP's~3" Custom exhaust~Fuel-It Stage 2 Bucket~
(#4)
Old

Default 12-20-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Replied to the other thread but I'll just make the same post here since I check this forum more often.

What you want to have happen during the 2STEP is boost set point set to a normal value & throttle open so the WG will close and turbos will spool up. Then when you let off the clutch there is boost on tap to carry it forward.

Setting the gear=0 RPM limiters in the flash I don't think will allow for a target and otherwise normal operation at least not without some logic change. Also, is there a side effect like when letting pushing in the clutch at higher RPM or during shifts?

Holding boost is definitely being worked on. again, this is the first few days of working on this. i've gotten from holding no boost to about 1psi. Which isn't much but its progress and still decreases spool time rather than not having any boost on tap at all. I'm currently making small single or two changes so i can get full transparency on the results of the change.

EDIT: i've gone through gears up to 4th leaving using the 2 step with no ill effects.

www.twistedtuning.com
twistedtuned@gmail.com
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-20-2015, 02:35 PM

You'd need some way to get the DME raise its target in gear 0 for it to work right. Might be doable with a logic change. I'm not sure.

When its in gear 0 doesn't it engage the limiter any time its over your setting?

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Car: 2010 135i 6MT
Default 12-21-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
You'd need some way to get the DME raise its target in gear 0 for it to work right. Might be doable with a logic change. I'm not sure.

When its in gear 0 doesn't it engage the limiter any time its over your setting?
The logged INPA gear param vs. the internal ram addr for gear report differently. The ram addr which is used for table lookups is only 0 when rpm/mph = 0. aka, when you are going 0mph.

Enjoying the new tables discovered and the XDF progress made? if you'd like. Every bit is appreciated!
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-21-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyamona
The logged INPA gear param vs. the internal ram addr for gear report differently. The ram addr which is used for table lookups is only 0 when rpm/mph = 0. aka, when you are going 0mph.
That is interesting. I wonder why. The PID shows calculated gear=0 any time the clutch is pressed in. AFAIK the DME has no way to really know what gear you're in and is only guessing based on road speed, engine speed, and clutch pedal input.

So if I set the gear=0 RPM limiter to 3000rpm that only applies when road speed is also 0? e.g. if if rolling down the road and I push the clutch in and floor it, the rev limiter for gear 0 does not kick in?

Burger Motorsports

(#8)
Old

Default 12-28-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
That is interesting. I wonder why. The PID shows calculated gear=0 any time the clutch is pressed in. AFAIK the DME has no way to really know what gear you're in and is only guessing based on road speed, engine speed, and clutch pedal input.

So if I set the gear=0 RPM limiter to 3000rpm that only applies when road speed is also 0? e.g. if if rolling down the road and I push the clutch in and floor it, the rev limiter for gear 0 does not kick in?
I wouldn't really call it guessing what gear its in. It knows what gear its in based on vehicle speed vs rpm in reference to the programmed gear ratio on the DME. no real guesswork at all, its all calculated. So long as the wheel/tire total diameter remains what it is stock and the gears aren't changed. But even then you can adjust for gear ratio in the DME tables its seems if there was a gearing change.

www.twistedtuning.com
twistedtuned@gmail.com
(#9)
Old

Car: '07 335i 6MT
Default 12-28-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedTuning
I wouldn't really call it guessing what gear its in. It knows what gear its in based on vehicle speed vs rpm in reference to the programmed gear ratio on the DME. no real guesswork at all, its all calculated.
I think stating the DME calculates what gear the vehicle is in is the best way to state it. It isn't guessing but at the same time it does not "know" as there is no sensor to state what gear it is in (which sucks, as implementing a remote start solution for a 6MT car would benefit from the car actually KNOWING what gear it is in).