N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#851)
Old

Car: 07 e92 335i
Default 01-19-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyb29
Does this mean you could damage something? For someone with 93 and a dci, whats the next mod you would recommend to make map 2 safer?
DP's
(#852)
Old
Turbo Lover

Car: 300zx TT, 1M
Send a message via Skype™ to SlicktopTTZ
Default 01-19-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor008
DP's
Yes, take some backpressure off the motor. Meth would be the ultimate mod for knock resistance though.

(#853)
Old
KGB

Car: 2007 335i coupe
Default 01-20-2011, 12:17 AM

hey Terry, sorry to be a pain in the a**. Maybe this question has been answered, but i just cant read 36 pages on here to find out.

in your sticky post on page one you say: (4) JB4 has cold/hot oil protection built in. So expect stock like boost until oil temps are > 160 degrees. Same goes for oil temps > 280 degrees.)

does that mean that when i get up in the morning and leave for work, my car would act like stock? I mean I only have like 8 miles to drive and by the time the oil warms up, i am already at work, so now I won't get to enjoy the high boost on my morning drive?

usually my drive to work and back is the only time i am on the highway and can expect to do some joy riding. is there a way to turn that feature off? or maybe I have the whole thing misunderstood??

I guess to summarize, does the JB4 itself automatically prevent (not allow) anything higher than stock boost if oil temp is low? Thus, if i want to go WOT, on lets say, Map 2, then it won't let me?

thanx

JB4 / BMS DCI / AR DP's / AMS FMIC / FORGE DV's / Etc...

Last edited by 335Caliber; 01-20-2011 at 12:25 AM..
(#854)
Old

Car: 335i e92
Default 01-20-2011, 12:20 AM

i think the stock function of the engine is designed so it doesn't even ramp up to full boost until at a certain temp. besides, even if you could, you wouldn't want to be hitting high boost numbers until everything is at operating temp anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335Caliber
(#855)
Old
KGB

Car: 2007 335i coupe
Default 01-20-2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu
i think the stock function of the engine is designed so it doesn't even ramp up to full boost until at a certain temp. besides, even if you could, you wouldn't want to be hitting high boost numbers until everything is at operating temp anyway.
you may be right. i just want to double check that its just how any car would function, rather than a "block" so to say from JB4.

I hope the oil warms up faster than the needle moves, because its just starting to move when i am halfway to work already

JB4 / BMS DCI / AR DP's / AMS FMIC / FORGE DV's / Etc...
(#856)
Old
on JB3 2.0 Map5 now!

Car: E92 335i M-Sport, Porsche 944
Default 01-20-2011, 01:19 AM

so makes the JB4 Map1 the same power/HP like the JB3 2.0 Map5??

Last edited by Robmaster; 01-20-2011 at 08:33 AM..
(#857)
Old

Car: '07 SGM 335i
Default 01-20-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
you may be right. i just want to double check that its just how any car would function, rather than a "block" so to say from JB4.

I hope the oil warms up faster than the needle moves, because its just starting to move when i am halfway to work already
My EVO IX MR had a similar safety mechanism, would only provide partial boost until a specific oil temperature. I can also attest that it does indeed take a good 10 minutes (in winter) to reach 160°F, which is halfway to work for me as well. Just hope nobody tries to mess with you before then, otherwise you have to give them the "Oh yeah? Wait until my car warms up!" excuse.

Last edited by DCTepper; 01-20-2011 at 02:04 PM..
(#858)
Old
M3 Eater (m3eater)

Car: 07 E90 Non Sport...Sleeper
Send a message via AIM to mobilefitt
Default +1 - 01-20-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor008
DP's
+1
(#859)
Old

Car: E90 335xi 6MT
Default 01-20-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
hey Terry, sorry to be a pain in the a**. Maybe this question has been answered, but i just cant read 36 pages on here to find out.

in your sticky post on page one you say: (4) JB4 has cold/hot oil protection built in. So expect stock like boost until oil temps are > 160 degrees. Same goes for oil temps > 280 degrees.)

does that mean that when i get up in the morning and leave for work, my car would act like stock? I mean I only have like 8 miles to drive and by the time the oil warms up, i am already at work, so now I won't get to enjoy the high boost on my morning drive?

usually my drive to work and back is the only time i am on the highway and can expect to do some joy riding. is there a way to turn that feature off? or maybe I have the whole thing misunderstood??

I guess to summarize, does the JB4 itself automatically prevent (not allow) anything higher than stock boost if oil temp is low? Thus, if i want to go WOT, on lets say, Map 2, then it won't let me?

thanx

Trust me, long term you do not want to turn this feature off. Not sure if you're familiar with how multi-weight oils work (what pretty much everyone uses these days), but when you see an oil rated at let's say 5W-30, the two numbers listed are for viscosity levels. The first number is for viscosity levels when cold, the second for viscosity levels at full operating temperature. In a nutshell, modern day oils have friction modifiers that allow us to run a thinner oil weight at startup, which helps pretty drastically with cold starts and cold start emissions.

The downside of this is that the lower viscosity "cold" weight offers very little in the way of lubrication/viscosity/engine protection, which is why it is a good idea to drive your car very conservatively until it comes up to full operating temperature (typically 160+ degrees is fine). Not waiting for your oil temps to come up to operating temperatures until going WOT full make life a little rough on your bearings (rods, turbos ect), among other moving components. It will also not allow for full expansion/tolerances. Typically this will not have a drastic effect short term on most modern vehicles, but it will ultimately effect the vehicle's long term reliability.

If it's a lease vehicle, I suppose you can knock yourself out haha (at the next owner's expense), but if you plan on actually keeping the car, it's a good idea to let the car come up to full operating temperatures before you start beating on it. Just my $.02

-B
(#860)
Old
Turbo Lover

Car: 300zx TT, 1M
Send a message via Skype™ to SlicktopTTZ
Default 01-20-2011, 09:37 AM

Yes, oil protection is good. Have y'all ever heard a journal bearing turbo that is dying from being pushed too hard cold? Once those bearings get a few scratches or they heat up and warp slightly, Game Over.

Usually they will still spool, it takes a lot of abuse to actually physically lock one up, but getting there is EXTREMELY annoying, sounds like the police is constantly chasing you, and you lose efficiency (horsepower).

(#861)
Old

Car: 09 E90 335i
Default 01-20-2011, 11:04 AM

Terry, any ETA on autotuning?

Trying to decide when to throw the car on the dyno, and if it's within the near future, I'd rather wait so I can try different things (auto-tuning vs various maps).
(#862)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-20-2011, 11:26 AM

No set ETA. It's something we're working on. If you want to dyno tune you can always play with map 6. It's a lot of fun!

Autotuning is not going to be a very dyno friendly sort of thing. It takes several pulls to adapt. The dyno with lower load and lower airflow may throw it off as well.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#863)
Old
Tuner

Car: 2009 335i AT
Cool 01-20-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
You must be new to Vegas. Don't worry.... in about 4 or 5 months, low oil temperatures will be a very distant memory.
(#864)
Old

Car: 09 E90 335i
Default 01-20-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
No set ETA. It's something we're working on. If you want to dyno tune you can always play with map 6. It's a lot of fun!

Autotuning is not going to be a very dyno friendly sort of thing. It takes several pulls to adapt. The dyno with lower load and lower airflow may throw it off as well.
I didn't mean my comment in the sense that I'd go from a standard map to autotuning, rather I'd like to see what my car (presumably daily driven on auto-tune mode so thus adapted pre-dyno) is putting down, as compared to a stock map...

But map 6 experimenting does sound tempting!
(#865)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 01-20-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:

thanx
If that is correct, its saving your engine.
(#866)
Old

Default 01-20-2011, 02:03 PM

Terry - What about some sort of indicator letting the driver know when 160F has been reached? I've found that my eyes are glued to the temp gauge until I reach that point.
(#867)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-20-2011, 02:06 PM

We could include one if you guys want. Have it flash the blinkers when the oil temp is > 160? Or maybe have it roll open the windows and moon roof, and crank the radio up to max?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#868)
Old

Default 01-20-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
We could include one if you guys want. Have it flash the blinkers when the oil temp is > 160?
I think its a great idea! (not only because I thought of it)

Quote:
Or maybe have it roll open the windows and moon roof, and crank the radio up to max?
That would wake me up on my commute to work! (high of 12°F today)

Last edited by DCTepper; 01-20-2011 at 02:29 PM..
(#869)
Old

Car: E90 335xi 6MT
Default 01-20-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
We could include one if you guys want. Have it flash the blinkers when the oil temp is > 160? Or maybe have it roll open the windows and moon roof, and crank the radio up to max?

Terry, while I'm assuming you're mostly being sarcastic, if you do contemplate adding some sort of feature that "indicates" when temps go above 160 degrees, I implore you to please not make it a "standard" feature

Maybe I'm an oddball, but I have no problem watching my oil temp gauge that starts at 160 degrees prior to beating on the car

Coming from a number of performance oriented vehicles that don't even have an oil temp gauge stock (stupid cheap coolant temp gauges!), I am just happy to have an OEM oil temp gauge, no need for other indicators, I can wait for the gauge to move just fine
(#870)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 135i
Default 01-20-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Haha...almost like a Bumble Bee type reaction...what about a "super cruise control" and it automatically engages...set to 155mph?

2014 BMW 335i Sedan 8 Speed Auto
JB4 Map 7/Intake/E40
12.49 @113 mph with Continental DWS All-season tires
(#871)
Old

Car: e90 335i
Default 01-20-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTepper
Are there any tricks to getting your car to warm up more quickly (i.e. keep your heater turned off)?
I doubt the heater has anything to do with oil temps.

Typically the coolant warms up fairly quickly, heater on or not.
(#872)
Old
Oh yes I did.

Default 01-20-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninsoldier83

Maybe I'm an oddball, but I have no problem watching my oil temp gauge that starts at 160 degrees prior to beating on the car

Coming from a number of performance oriented vehicles that don't even have an oil temp gauge stock (stupid cheap coolant temp gauges!), I am just happy to have an OEM oil temp gauge, no need for other indicators, I can wait for the gauge to move just fine
Hey hey hey there! Don't forget about us N54 535 owners! We don't have no stinkin temp gauge! When I PLAN on beating on the car, I drive with the laptop to watch the temp (partly b/c I wasn't sure whether the failsafe was implemented on all maps yet). Even with the failsafe implemented, that means that the only way I can know if the temp is adequate is to floor it and see if she holds back on me.

Last edited by n54-5&3; 01-20-2011 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: video didn't show what I thought...
(#873)
Old

Default 01-20-2011, 02:29 PM

Are there any tricks to getting your car to warm up more quickly (i.e. keep your heater turned off)?
(#874)
Old
Oh yes I did.

Default 01-20-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTepper
Driving at, say, 50% throttle warms it up a lot more than just cruising and waiting for the car to warm up...
(#875)
Old

Car: 335i Coupe
Question 01-20-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Map 2 may be pushing it a bit otherwise stock on 93.
Terry, if this is the case, does that conflict with the page 1 info?

"Map 2: 14.5psi (suggested for 93 octane)"

Also, I believe JB3 Map 3/5 is suggested for basically stock 93 octane, and that's in the same 14-15 psi range...so I would think Map 2 is the "equivalent" in the JB4?