N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i coupe
Default Need help installing my steering rack - 04-13-2020, 10:42 PM

Hey guys, I'm completely new to this forum and any forum for that matter. So if I'm posting this in the wrong place. Then my bad.
I just bought a 2007 335i coupe w/manual it was pissing oil out the turbo seals and wastegates were rattling, etc. So I took the turbos out rebuilt them stage 1 billet wheels the works and went FBO. Also re-sealed the motor, a long with a lot of other things but let me get to the point here.
I got the sub frame back in and I can't get the steering rack to bolt in to place because the shaft
Seems way too long. I understand that it telescopes but I had my brother pulling up on it and it still way to long. So I marked the spline and pulled it out on the upper u joint and bolted the rack in place, but it's still way too long to get the spline back in. What am I doing wrong here? Lol this whole overhaul has gonna smooth as butter till now. I'm almost ready to fire it up and any help would be awesome. Thanks
(#2)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Vert (E93, N54)
Default 04-14-2020, 06:14 AM

Hey JonWayne,

Welcome to the forum.

That's some serious work you're doing. Awesome.
Before I respond to the actual question, can I inquire what you mean by "re-sealed the motor"? Like new Oil Pan Gasket, or?

As for the steering rod, I just reassembled mine and have yet to put the pinch bolt in the collar that holds the steering shaft to the rack. (ordered one that I will pickup today, as the original was quite stripped)

I have infinite pictures of it all, from an E93 perspective, which should be identical in this regard (including removing the steering wheel, resetting the clock spring, etc).

So, I had no issues with mine not telescoping back and giving room.
That said, I initially thought the steering shaft itself telescoped (looks like it could, with the steps it has), but it doesn't appear to.
Rather, it 'compresses' at the firewall, behind the boot.
If yours does not politely and smoothly 'compress' at that point, I would focus there.
I left my steering wheel's tilt/in-out feature locked, and all steering shaft 'truncation' happens at the firewall behind the boot.

Speculation: I didn't hyper extend my steering shaft, and I wonder if you accidentally have and caused it to pop off the spline behind the firewall. You could check to some degree by turning the steering wheel a quarter turn to see if the steering rod follows. Don't loose center of wheel. If you even think there is a 1% chance you did, just verify the clock spring by popping this apart. It's an easy task, and failure to correct results in broken electrical.

I did install my subframe, then put steering rack in place, then pulled the steering shaft onto the spline. It was butter to put it back (I cleaned it very well and added copper antiseize to spline for easy removal next time) , but a nightmare to pull (hammer) it off.

Summary: Focus on the the retraction at the firewall region. I've not tried, but may it's separated internally, and thus not able to correctly retract.

Need any pictures or a me to look at mine - not an issue, let me know.

2008 335i Convertible, E93, N54, A/T (200,000+ km)
Wheels: 322 | Tires: R.275/35r18, F.245/40r18
TUNE: JB4/Trebila | 24 PSI | 100% Meth via dual CM5 | 94 Octane
BMS: JB4, Map 6 | WMI | 5" FMIC | OCC | DCI | Cowel Filters
RB: Inlets | PCV Valve
VRSF: DiPis | CP
HKS BOV
xHP Stage 3
NGK-97506 @ .020

Maintenance:
2018 - A/T Replaced | Ign Coils | Walnut Blast
2019 - Index 12 Injectors | VCG | OFHG & O-rings | TStat
2020 - OPG | Battery | IBS | Water Pump | Plugs | Alternator
(#3)
Old
Legend

Car: 335i E92 2009
Default 04-14-2020, 06:44 PM

I dropped my subframe 3 times before and the last time I dropped it to install my turbos I got into this same issue, the steering rack seems pulled out and ended up trying all sort of things to let it push nack inside as its too long, I even removed the whole steering assembly from the cabinet, I searched the forums and saw many guys ended replacing the streeting column stating the steering rack once locked out you are done and replace it with used one thats still not stretched, then i discovered it a simple process, once you drop your subframe and rack get pulled any small movement on the shaft will shift the column while its pulled out and there is 12 teeth i believe and will slide back in with 1 position option and the remaining 11 position will slide in but not fully so it won't set in and will be always too long, so I had to pull out rotate to 1 teeth and push in again until I found the correct position so it slided in and job done.

The easiest way to work it from the cabine by removing the steering assembly or also you can access it on top of your brake paddle when you remove the under steering cover you will see the rack column with the grooves so pull out all the way and rotate and push in until you find the correct groove that will slide in completely, i believe its also marked with small cut on the shaft.

Hope this help you to sort it or at least give you the issue why it doesn't slide in to install the streeting rack

09 E92 335i - Hot-Climate Middle East package, M Sports suspension, 19" Rims, 6AT fully built internals, bushings, raybestos clutches and sonnax with xHP stage 3, Differential lockdown, New RB Turbo CHRA, JB4 - Map 3 70 adder with N20 TMAP - MHD BMS Race Flash with Tuned Duty Bais and PID - BMS Oil Cooler Valve - RB PCV - K&N DCI - AFE Air Scoops - 98 Super Fuel - WAGNER FMIC - 3" down's, RB Inlets- BMS charge pipe With Tial BOV - BMS Meth Kit with FSB, 30/70 Water/Meth on CM12 nozzle

Last edited by Rushan; 04-14-2020 at 06:52 PM..
(#4)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 E93
Default 04-14-2020, 08:20 PM

Yep, either one of these 2 guys above me can help you out.
Codesx has pics that may help you out...he has TONS of pics.
Hes worse than me , lol
(#5)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i coupe
Thumbs up 04-14-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codesx
Hey JonWayne,

Welcome to the forum.

That's some serious work you're doing. Awesome.
Before I respond to the actual question, can I inquire what you mean by "re-sealed the motor"? Like new Oil Pan Gasket, or?
What I meant was by re-seal the motor was the oil pan gasket, yes. But not just that I also did every other gasket on the motor. Just because there was a lot of grease built up all over it. So it was hard to say which ones were actually bad, that and I don't know when they all were done last. The car has 90k on it but besides the oil leaks the motor seems like it's been take good care of before me.
As for the rack I took a break from working on that earlier to finish doing the oil filter gasket and the oil cooler thermostat gasket and I cleaned out the oil cooler and replaced the o-rings on the lines and found that the bolt that holds the lines on the top side was finger tight... No wonder it was so greasey on the front of the motor. I appreciate the help tho guys I'm going to look at it again here in a few minutes before I call it a night I think I might have it figured out. I'll let you know what I come up with

(#6)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Vert (E93, N54)
Default 04-15-2020, 07:45 AM

Image of Splines from the steering wheel side, and how it's keyed.
Image of Steering Rack Splines and how it's keyed (plastic guide where splines are removed).

The one thing I don't have is the splines inside the firewall. I would have imagined similar, but given everything else is keyed, I'm sure it would be too.
Attached Images

2008 335i Convertible, E93, N54, A/T (200,000+ km)
Wheels: 322 | Tires: R.275/35r18, F.245/40r18
TUNE: JB4/Trebila | 24 PSI | 100% Meth via dual CM5 | 94 Octane
BMS: JB4, Map 6 | WMI | 5" FMIC | OCC | DCI | Cowel Filters
RB: Inlets | PCV Valve
VRSF: DiPis | CP
HKS BOV
xHP Stage 3
NGK-97506 @ .020

Maintenance:
2018 - A/T Replaced | Ign Coils | Walnut Blast
2019 - Index 12 Injectors | VCG | OFHG & O-rings | TStat
2020 - OPG | Battery | IBS | Water Pump | Plugs | Alternator