N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: N54 E89
Default Oil cooler bleeding?? - 03-27-2020, 08:15 PM

Hey guys, got a busted oil cooler hose and replacing it when i get the parts. Do I need to do a bleed or "burp" for this?
(#2)
Old
Legend

Car: 335i E92 2009
Default 03-28-2020, 03:42 AM

Had the oil cooler pipe pinhole that goes from oil cooler housing to oil cooler intercooler, replaced it directly with no issues, after few months the other pipe got the same and replaced it also, I would suggest doing both at once,

Note that the new pipe comes without the orings so better to order new orings at once also instead of using the old orings

09 E92 335i - Hot-Climate Middle East package, M Sports suspension, 19" Rims, 6AT fully built internals, bushings, raybestos clutches and sonnax with xHP stage 3, Differential lockdown, New RB Turbo CHRA, JB4 - Map 3 70 adder with N20 TMAP - MHD BMS Race Flash with Tuned Duty Bais and PID - BMS Oil Cooler Valve - RB PCV - K&N DCI - AFE Air Scoops - 98 Super Fuel - WAGNER FMIC - 3" down's, RB Inlets- BMS charge pipe With Tial BOV - BMS Meth Kit with FSB, 30/70 Water/Meth on CM12 nozzle
(#3)
Old

Default 03-28-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushan
Had the oil cooler pipe pinhole that goes from oil cooler housing to oil cooler intercooler, replaced it directly with no issues, after few months the other pipe got the same and replaced it also, I would suggest doing both at once,

Note that the new pipe comes without the orings so better to order new orings at once also instead of using the old orings
Wait you can get a single pipe? I thought realoem.com shows the whole assembly as 2 hoses together. Did you have to bleed it? Reason I'm asking because I saw it's going to a cooler like a radiator so I'm thinking it gotta be bled like the coolant. Also where did you get your part? Mine has a pin hold as well.
(#4)
Old
Legend

Car: 335i E92 2009
Default 04-01-2020, 06:11 PM

Engine oil cooler pipe, flow 117227567207 the one with curved end under the oil cooler housing.
Engine oil cooler pipe, return117227567208 the one with straight end

They are separate parts numbers, no need to bleed as one the oil pump start with engine it will flow the oil as it's not like water fully sealed loop to trap air bubble.

As I was stranded on highway with pinhole and oil shooting out, I had to wrap it with rubber and put hose clamps 3 next to each other to drive it home and I purchased the pipe from local parts dealer

09 E92 335i - Hot-Climate Middle East package, M Sports suspension, 19" Rims, 6AT fully built internals, bushings, raybestos clutches and sonnax with xHP stage 3, Differential lockdown, New RB Turbo CHRA, JB4 - Map 3 70 adder with N20 TMAP - MHD BMS Race Flash with Tuned Duty Bais and PID - BMS Oil Cooler Valve - RB PCV - K&N DCI - AFE Air Scoops - 98 Super Fuel - WAGNER FMIC - 3" down's, RB Inlets- BMS charge pipe With Tial BOV - BMS Meth Kit with FSB, 30/70 Water/Meth on CM12 nozzle
(#5)
Old

Car: BMW 335I / VW 2.0T
Default 04-01-2020, 06:54 PM

I have used lines from 2010 n54 with 75k if interested
(#6)
Old

Default 04-02-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwetish
I have used lines from 2010 n54 with 75k if interested
Probably doesnt fit a E89 N54. It seems to be different.
(#7)
Old

Car: BMW 335I / VW 2.0T
Default 04-02-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhatnguyen14
Probably doesnt fit a E89 N54. It seems to be different.
To my knowledge they are interchangeable.
(#8)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 04-17-2020, 09:34 PM

If you remove and drain the oil cooler. Then install it and fill the car with oil. If you are at max, you will see the oil level drop to half once the oil cooler fills. However when the oil cooler gets oil in, the car is expecting the same amount of oil out. I know some people had issues after replacing the oil filter housing gasket without priming the oil system before. I figured the same thing could happen or maybe premature head wear if there is a lack of oil flow to the head for a few seconds while driving. I used a large food syringe and filled the oil cooler with oil before connecting the oil cooler lines to the oil thermostat housing. On the e60 chassis, I unbolted the left oil line to the oil cooler so I could rotate the line so that the other end would be the highest point. I did this so when I filled the oil cooler via the oil line, all the oil would drain into the oil cooler and not overflow before filling due to the bends in the line. I think I filled it with like 1/3-1/2 of a quart of oil.

DON'T buy VRSF D.Ps or inlets! FBO, E85 Walbro 450, xHP trans flash
(#9)
Old

Default 04-18-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpro88
If you remove and drain the oil cooler. Then install it and fill the car with oil. If you are at max, you will see the oil level drop to half once the oil cooler fills. However when the oil cooler gets oil in, the car is expecting the same amount of oil out. I know some people had issues after replacing the oil filter housing gasket without priming the oil system before. I figured the same thing could happen or maybe premature head wear if there is a lack of oil flow to the head for a few seconds while driving. I used a large food syringe and filled the oil cooler with oil before connecting the oil cooler lines to the oil thermostat housing. On the e60 chassis, I unbolted the left oil line to the oil cooler so I could rotate the line so that the other end would be the highest point. I did this so when I filled the oil cooler via the oil line, all the oil would drain into the oil cooler and not overflow before filling due to the bends in the line. I think I filled it with like 1/3-1/2 of a quart of oil.
I didn't drain the oil cooler, just had to replace the oil lines due to pin hole and replaced the oil housing gasket while at it. I didn't prime it like you said, but lost only about 1/2-1 quart doing the job so hopefully that doesn't affect anything.
(#10)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 04-24-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhatnguyen14
I didn't drain the oil cooler, just had to replace the oil lines due to pin hole and replaced the oil housing gasket while at it. I didn't prime it like you said, but lost only about 1/2-1 quart doing the job so hopefully that doesn't affect anything.
I hope you're saying you also topped off the engine with the amount of oil you think you lost.

DON'T buy VRSF D.Ps or inlets! FBO, E85 Walbro 450, xHP trans flash