N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#3701)
Old

Car: 2014 335i m-sport
Default 09-12-2019, 09:18 PM

@Terry not sure if anyone mentioned this, but with newest firmware the gauges do not actively show proper menu settings when toggling through the main menu's and then throws itself out of the menu by itself after a minute or so.

F30 335i | ER Chargepipe | ER Down-Pipe | Wagner Intercooler | BMS Intake | Meisterschaft Exhaust | MHD BEF JB4 Map 3 / 30% e85 / 50:50 Meth
(#3702)
Old

Car: m135i
Default 09-18-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauzins
@Terry not sure if anyone mentioned this, but with newest firmware the gauges do not actively show proper menu settings when toggling through the main menu's and then throws itself out of the menu by itself after a minute or so.
Yep i'm seeing this on JB4_F_EWG_17_T2 . Chucks you out after about 15 seconds. When re entering the menu again the taco points to map 1 / 1000 ( what i'm on) .. but so does every subsequent menu until you cycle through the individual options so theres no real way of knowing whats selected unless you cycle through options and save it there and then. Going back through the menus and all options will revert to '1000'.
(#3703)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-18-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauzins
Sounds like a bug we need to work on. Drop me an email if you have it and we'll work on it! terry@burgertuning.com

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3704)
Old

Car: F10 535i
Default 09-23-2019, 01:19 PM

Hi

Please could someone share some experience here:
Is the partial throttle lag/no boost 100% fixed with INT version?
Could I get over of this partial throttle lag/no boost feeling when upgrading to INT fw?
What are the downsides of going form ISO to INT? Some ex-PWG N55 ISO owner could share some feelings?

2011 F10 535i M-Sport PWG // Deep sea blue //
//JB4 PWG_INT_13 + BMS BEF PWG1_RACE_3 // M Performance mufflers// 3,5" cless dowpipe
(#3705)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-12-2019, 08:45 AM

For EWG cars made a change to the menu system to attempt to fix a bug in v17. If someone has the problem load this and let me know if its working better.
Attached Files
File Type: hex JB4_F_EWG_17_T10.hex (83.5 KB, 225 views)

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3706)
Old

Car: 2011 535i
Default 10-17-2019, 09:47 PM

Would I need to change 6-cyl timing logging (0-6) from 0 to 6
And when would I need to set bit5 - Test Duty Bias Learning Algorithm on?

2011 535i pwg intake ******* intercooler 91oct
(#3707)
Old

Car: 2011 535i
Default 10-17-2019, 09:58 PM

Would I need to change 6-cyl timing logging (0-6) from 0 to 6
And when would I need to set bit5 - Test Duty Bias Learning Algorithm on?

2011 535i pwg intake ******* intercooler 91oct
(#3708)
Old

Car: F30 335i 6MT Sport Package
Default 10-25-2019, 11:38 AM

I've been running version 12 of the PWG firmware, and ever since I installed it (a few months ago), whenever I'm WOT in 2nd or 3rd gear, the throttle does this weird cutting off thing where it like hiccups at least once, sometimes 2 or 3 times in 2nd gear. I tried to pull a couple of logs last night to capture what's happening. Is anyone familiar with what I'm talking about? I'm running a downward piipe, but I was running map 1 to see if that fixed it, and it did not.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-10-24 20_59_48_Map-1.csv (10.7 KB, 95 views)
File Type: csv 2019-10-24 21_03_48_Map-1.csv (75.9 KB, 84 views)
(#3709)
Old

Car: BMW M135i xDrive 2013
Default 11-23-2019, 11:08 AM

Anything new comming for pwg cars? Anything under development?
(#3710)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-08-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esapetteri
Anything new comming for pwg cars? Anything under development?
Nothing planned for PWG cars at the moment. If you need tuning advice post a JB4 log and we can always check how your specific car is running.

Burger Motorsports

(#3711)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-08-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siim138
Hi

Could I get over of this partial throttle lag/no boost feeling when upgrading to INT fw?
What are the downsides of going form ISO to INT? Some ex-PWG N55 ISO owner could share some feelings?
We migrated back to integrated firmware awhile ago. A few hold outs prefer ISO but generally speaking the latest integrated firmware for PWG vehicles has been a winner. All updates going forward will be integrated firmware. So if you're having issues with ISO resolder the diode and update.

Burger Motorsports

(#3712)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-08-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Blake
I've been running version 12 of the PWG firmware, and ever since I installed it (a few months ago), whenever I'm WOT in 2nd or 3rd gear, the throttle does this weird cutting off thing where it like hiccups at least once, sometimes 2 or 3 times in 2nd gear. I tried to pull a couple of logs last night to capture what's happening. Is anyone familiar with what I'm talking about? I'm running a downward piipe, but I was running map 1 to see if that fixed it, and it did not.
Looks like DSC or traction control kicking in. You see RPM shoot up indicating tire spin and DME BT the flash target immediately drop.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#3713)
Old

Car: 2016 435ix GC
Default 12-25-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
NOTE: We've moved EWG firmware to the main F Series N55 Thread.

Hey guys,

Have made rather significant break through in controlling BMW's new electronic wastegates found on 2014+ N20 and N55 engines. Figured I'd make this thread to centrally locate all the information. I'll update this thread as more info is available.

The new electronic wastegate is used on most 2014+ N20 and N55 motors. They mixed it in to some 2013 models and seems to be present in every 2014 model except the F10. It replaced the old pneumatic vacuum canister/solenoid wastegate we've all grown to know and love since the 335 was first released in late 2006. In theory this new electronic wastegate eliminates a lot of "slop" and unnecessary hardware from the boost control. So this should be a positive upgrade. But unfortunately the new style is much more difficult to alter via piggyback. Perhaps intentionally. Which means without special extra control when tuning duty cycle is limited to maybe 10% over stock values. Another way of putting that is tuned boost has been limited to roughly 2-5psi over stock depending on the engine and speed.

Fortunately for us we recently found an electronic "vulnerability" in this new control scheme which allows us to fool the wastegate in to running a modified (and dynamically higher) duty cycle electronically. This is done through a combination of a digital signal manipulation and CANbus data. The new control channel is then connected to our JB4 PID duty cycle control system which is returned for the new wastegate control. The net result is with this new control the JB4 can now make as much boost as the turbo will safely support. Just like the older pneumatic cars.

Some random thoughts:

1) This post is only relevant to those with electronic wastegates. Those with pneumatic wastegates please move along. Nothing to see here.

2) To add this functionality you'll need a JB4 using special firmware & an add on harness similar to the FF add on harness. With the N55 JB4 board (shared by both the N20 and N55) we had the forethought to add a lot of extra random input and output capacity to the board. Which means we can accommodate this via firmware and harness changes only.

3) For the N20 motor the wastegate harness is relatively easy to reach but there is little benefit to be had. The JB4 can control up to map 2 levels well and the N20 motor is not reliable at higher boost levels. For these reasons we've not done much N20 EWG development.

4) For the N55 motor the wastegate harness is difficult to reach but the gains are considerable for more aggressive enthusiasts running absolute maps 5+. Even if installed the EWG connector is not active on maps 1 or 2. This is suggested for those who want to use race gas, meth, E85, etc.

5) The EWG harness is $35 and can be ordered here: http://www.burgertuning.com/N55_JB4_upgrades.html

6) To use the EWG add on harness the FF add on harness is also required.

7) As a general rule EWG cars are not very E85 friendly. If reliability is a concern no more than 30% E85 should be used and the highest map used should be map 2. Using map 5 or map 7 with E85 mixtures may result in boost running high enough to exceed your fueling capacity triggering various codes and/or JB4 safety map 4 switches. If you are more experienced and able to analyze your own logs you are welcome to play around, but we've instructed technical support NOT to provide assistance or advice to anyone exceeding map 2 when using E85 with the EWG platform. If you run map 5 or 7 on E85, run in to problems, and ask for help, you'll get the company line of "for E85 use no higher than 30% and map 2". For more power consider race gas instead of E85, or add in a methanol kit allowing use of map 3.

Install Directions

I'll post install notes here for use by those helping with testing.

1) Before updating the harness you should update the JB4 firmware. The correct firmware for the new wastegate will have a EWG in it which stands for "electronic waste gate". For example the N55 firmware is "N55_EWG" and the N20/N26 firmware is "N20_EWG". After uploading the firmware you can disconnect the negative battery cable to perform the remaining steps. Firmware is attached. Set pid gain to 12.

2) The new harness has two long wires coming from it. Purple and blue. Each will have a gold DSUB pin which is to be inserted in the JB4 harness similar to how the FlexFuel connector is added.

3) The purple wire (going to the male pin on the wastegate harness) connects to position #9 on the DB25 connector.

4) The blue wire (going to the female pin on the wastegate harness) connects to position #16 on the DB25 connector.

Note if equipped with a BMS methanol kit then the FSB blue wire going to the FSB must be relocated. If you do not have a methanol kit installed disregard this note. If using an older PWG board (firmware version does not end in //5) then relocate the blue FSB wire to the DB9 (usb cable) position #9. If using a newer EWG specific board, connect the blue FSB wire to position #14 on the DB25 connector.

5) The connector itself must be routed to the wastegate. We'll add some addl reference photos of where that is based on model. Unplug the OEM connector, attach it to the male connection, and plug the new female connection in to the wastegate.

6) Do a few datalogs to adapt the JB4/car and ensure boost is close to target.

EWG Firmware

Firmware is posted in the main F Series JB4 thread. Be sure you use the firmware starting with "EWG" in the file name.

Here's a video showing how to avoid a possible startup code bug with the EWG harness in place.

Is there an update on this with firmware. I have used the method described in video to avoid the fault code at start and still happens. I have a 2016 435 xi F36 N55. I have the JB4 BEF and running JB4 Map5 with EWG.

running the EWG_16 firmware

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe
HRP Cold Air Intake, Charge Pipe, Turbo Up Pipe, Turbo Intake Pipe, BMS Intercooler, Axle Back Exhaust, JB4
H&R Springs, Sways, Strut Tower bar, 19"x10 Rotiforms, Too much carbon goodness
(#3714)
Old
Vintage

Car: F10 N55 PWG
Default 12-26-2019, 06:38 PM

Any plans to make Map2 for pwg cars an additive map? Im so use to my old S55 with 2 additive map options.

Any reason why Map 2 for PWG is absolute?

2014 F10 535i N55 PWG
(#3715)
Old

Car: 2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55
Default 12-27-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siim138
Hi

Absolutely no issues going from ISO to INT for me, I was a bit apprehensive but I got an updated board (v2) from BMS and sent them back my ISO modded board and I have had no issues, INT is flawless for me.

2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG
Injen CAI/ER CP/VRSF C-less DPipe/Active A FMIC/JB4 v3 - Map 7/e50/Custom tuned exhaust/stock turbo/Resonator Delete/MHD & JB4 e85 BEF/Stage 2 LPFP Walbro 450
Summer '20 install: Speedtech BW 8374/PI & Tune by Trebila
(#3716)
Old

Car: M2
Default 01-06-2020, 12:57 AM

@Terry

Is there any way to go back on updates?

Both EWG_17 don't seem to allow dash hijack.

Settings don't save, the needles make no sense. It doesnt even let you go to setting 8.

On the T10 revision the needle will stay put...but about every 8ish seconds it flickers to zero then goes right back to its original placement.

EWG16_Test doesn't save the dash hijack setting either.

EWG_16 worked just fine on the N55 M2
(#3717)
Old

Car: 2014 BMW 435i
Default 01-21-2020, 07:56 AM

Can anyone give me advice on this boost drop mid acceleration?
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2020-01-21 09_42_22_Map-5.csv (10.6 KB, 77 views)
(#3718)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 01-21-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky1e
Can anyone give me advice on this boost drop mid acceleration?
Pedal is not 100% at that moment where boost was over target, so it started pulling back. Log looks okay, you need higher octane gas IMO. You have timing pull up top.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

(#3719)
Old

Default 01-21-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Pedal is not 100% at that moment where boost was over target, so it started pulling back. Log looks okay, you need higher octane gas IMO. You have timing pull up top.
Hey, thanks for you prompt reply. I appreciate it. Timing pull up top sounds like a bad thing, do you have any resources on more info to remedy it? Also I currently use 93 most of the time and then about once every two weeks I do a full tank of 110. I dont know of any gas stations in the St Petersburg Florida area that does anything in between. I'll look for a local shop that has a dyno and try to get a better log.
(#3720)
Old

Car: M235i
Default 01-31-2020, 09:38 AM

Hello all, I have the newest version of the JB4 installed in my F22, seems to be working fine thus far! I went ahead an pulled the trigger on a Bluetooth connect kit and installed it which was very simple as well as this again is the newest version so there is no need to tap into the JB4s' power wire,just plug in, secure and go! Problem is the device does not connect ! am I missing something? are there special in app settings?
(#3721)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 01-31-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky1e
Hey, thanks for you prompt reply. I appreciate it. Timing pull up top sounds like a bad thing, do you have any resources on more info to remedy it? Also I currently use 93 most of the time and then about once every two weeks I do a full tank of 110. I dont know of any gas stations in the St Petersburg Florida area that does anything in between. I'll look for a local shop that has a dyno and try to get a better log.
Do you have any e85 around you? A few gallons of that mixed with 93 will really help, that's the best remedy to the timing pull up top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumaurier7
Hello all, I have the newest version of the JB4 installed in my F22, seems to be working fine thus far! I went ahead an pulled the trigger on a Bluetooth connect kit and installed it which was very simple as well as this again is the newest version so there is no need to tap into the JB4s' power wire,just plug in, secure and go! Problem is the device does not connect ! am I missing something? are there special in app settings?
What's coming up when you try to connect?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

(#3722)
Old

Default 01-31-2020, 01:05 PM

Nothing, it says device not found.
(#3723)
Old

Default 01-31-2020, 05:53 PM

still don't work!
(#3724)
Old

Default 02-01-2020, 06:04 AM

Anyone?????
(#3725)
Old

Default 02-01-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Do you have any e85 around you? A few gallons of that mixed with 93 will really help, that's the best remedy to the timing pull up top.
I found some e85 and put 2.5gallons in with the rest 93. Also I added the EWG addon, not sure if that makes a difference. Here's a new log. Going to the Dyno next weekend.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2020-02-01 19_14_49_Map-5.csv (6.1 KB, 98 views)