N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 09 335xi
Default Cylinder 1 timing skips and advance - 02-13-2020, 06:32 PM

I have a 335xi ST stock coils and NGK 1 step colder plugs. cylinder 1 coil started going and misfiring so i swapped coil and plug and verified it followed the coil and plug became fouled as a result. Installed and old but good plug and coil and got it back to my shop and car was running fine but at idle cylinder one ignition was a little jumpy at idle and during cruising at steady throttle it would stick at 33.3 while all other cylinders were at 4.7. i figured it may be the old oem spark plug i was using in the meantime.

Upgraded my coils to Precision and NGK 97506 gaped to 0.22. Still have the same condition with cylinder 1 all afr in bank one and 2 look stable. When i accelerate and give it over 1/4 throttle or full all the cylinders fall in line and hold correct timing with no variances across all 6 cylinders. Anyone experience anything like this before or any ideas? maybe a bad spray pattern in the cylinder 1 injector? cant imagine a leaky injector or my afrís would be off no? Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2020-02-13 16_33_03_Map-6.csv (14.1 KB, 8 views)
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 02-14-2020, 09:00 AM

.22 or .022 gap?

If .22 close they down to .022, or even .020

Unlikely an injector, your Plug likely would have been a little wet when you pulled it

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 02-14-2020, 05:59 PM

I’m putting together a few more pieces to the puzzle. The week spark plugs in cylinders 1 and 2 were def running way more rich then 3-6. When I cold start it’s got a heavier stumble till it starts to warm up and I get a faulty low pressure fuel sensor code only on cold starts (sensor replaced 30k ago). It’s got me thinking a leaky injector may be dropping my line pressure and when I cold start the sensor is reading too low on start up. Also could explain why it only skips on steady cruise and idle rather than accelerating when fuel demand increases. Car has 166k and it’s still on the original index 8’s
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-14-2020, 07:25 PM

Let the car sit overnight & pull those plugs- see if they’re wet

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 02-17-2020, 09:56 AM

Def leaky injectors in cylinder 1 and 2. Pulled the brand new plugs and after only idling 4 times from cold start and 1/2 mile of driving they are already fouling and a clean spot on the piston top right under the injector. New injectors and oil change should have me going again. Thanks for the help.
(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-17-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyab00sta
Def leaky injectors in cylinder 1 and 2. Pulled the brand new plugs and after only idling 4 times from cold start and 1/2 mile of driving they are already fouling and a clean spot on the piston top right under the injector. New injectors and oil change should have me going again. Thanks for the help.
No worries- enjoy the week!

Burger Motorsports