N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: renualt
Default Any N55 owners with an upgraded turbo? - 09-24-2020, 04:22 AM

Currently debating going the next step with the Pure Stage 2 turbo on my 335i and I had a few questions for those with an upgrade turbo.

This car is my daily. Currently has 82k miles and is FBO running a custom 92 octane tune. My goal is to make a more enjoyable power band with more power up top. Right now it's a torque monster that tends to die off around 5500.

My questions to those who have upgraded:

How is the daily drivability? I'm assuming the only difference while cruising is boost takes a bit longer to build.

How much more stress (if any) would this be putting on the motor? My N55 already runs 20 peak PSI, but will running 16-17psi in the upper range put a significantly harder strain on the motor?appvalley tutuapp tweakbox

Is it worth it to upgrade even if I only have access to 92 octane?

Is it recommended to run boost by gear with upgraded turbos to avoid high torque loads in higher gears?

Finally, is a LSD necessary to put the power down with a RWD car?

Thanks!

Last edited by okelmape6; 09-24-2020 at 11:23 PM..
(#2)
Old

Car: 2013 335i xDrive Coupe
Default 09-24-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okelmape6
Currently debating going the next step with the Pure Stage 2 turbo on my 335i and I had a few questions for those with an upgrade turbo.

This car is my daily. Currently has 82k miles and is FBO running a custom 92 octane tune. My goal is to make a more enjoyable power band with more power up top. Right now it's a torque monster that tends to die off around 5500.

My questions to those who have upgraded:

How is the daily drivability? I'm assuming the only difference while cruising is boost takes a bit longer to build.
Great. Change steering menu 12 to 3100 and the response is great.

Quote:
How much more stress (if any) would this be putting on the motor? My N55 already runs 20 peak PSI, but will running 16-17psi in the upper range put a significantly harder strain on the motor?
All I can say is the same boost is more power with bigger turbos, and "probably" not much harder on the engine.

Quote:
Is it worth it to upgrade even if I only have access to 92 octane?
Better, but worth it depends on how much you like money and hp.

Quote:
Is it recommended to run boost by gear with upgraded turbos to avoid high torque loads in higher gears?
Yes, and I'd ramp boost with rpm too, to minimize torque (and stress) further. You already have a car with too much torque at 3500 and not enough at 5500, so using as much boost as you can at 3500 is just stressing parts

Quote:
Finally, is a LSD necessary to put the power down with a RWD car?
I don't know!
(#3)
Old

Car: 11 135 coupe
Default 09-27-2020, 02:41 PM

With 92 you will need to run meth, if you can't, don't bother upgrading.
I have run 25psi on the VT S2 for years, no turbo related problems. I did run meth, worked well. (E85 now)
I think my LSD was my best upgrade.
Drivablity will stay A O K.
PS2 would be lots of fun.
(#4)
Old

Car: 335i 6MT RWD
Default 09-28-2020, 09:13 AM

I've never driven or ridden in a PS2 car but I think it would be worth it just to get rid of that high RPM taper. It's so annoying and really kills a lot of the fun. It's like the last 2500rpm is useless. Plus you'd still make more power at the same boost everywhere else as well
(#5)
Old

Car: 2014 335i m-sport
Default 09-28-2020, 09:24 AM

just for the LSD side, I think its 100% worth installing, even with my stock turbo, I put down power a whole lot better than before LSD

F30 335i | ER Chargepipe | ER Down-Pipe | Wagner Intercooler | BMS Intake | Meisterschaft Exhaust | MHD BEF JB4 Map 3 / 30% e85 / 50:50 Meth
(#6)
Old

Car: 2015 M235i
Default 10-08-2020, 05:39 PM

I recently upgraded to ps2. I had MAJOR ISSUES with drivability and performance on flash only. As soon as I got my jb4/bef back on, it’s been great. I strongly recommend the jb4. Great for a daily and that 5,500 drop off will be history. There is a touch of lag but nothg major. With your pump gas situation, likely need to add a meth kit. I have a BMS kit and it’s great, everythg works with the jb4. I don’t have an lsd, I’m sure they’re good. You can put the power down with a good tire, somethg 200 tread wear or less.
(#7)
Old

Car: 335i 6MT RWD
Default 10-09-2020, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffmcdou
I recently upgraded to ps2. I had MAJOR ISSUES with drivability and performance on flash only.
Who was tuning your custom MHD map? You shouldn't have had any issues at all
(#8)
Old

Car: E90 N55
Default 10-19-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stools
With 92 you will need to run meth, if you can't, don't bother upgrading.
Damn. I am actually planning to pull the trigger on the PS2 when their Black Friday sale hits. Anyone else agree this upgrade isnít worth doing without meth? I also would be using this as a daily.

KENNETHAVERY.COM - Portland Real Estate

Wagner Evo 1 IC // Active Autowerke CP // JB4 + BEF // CAtuned Coilovers // E46 OE CSL Wheels // (AR D/P and PURE Stage 2 w/ wedge next!)
(#9)
Old

Car: 2013 335i xDrive Coupe
Default 10-19-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaper
Damn. I am actually planning to pull the trigger on the PS2 when their Black Friday sale hits. Anyone else agree this upgrade isnít worth doing without meth? I also would be using this as a daily.
I don't agree with that. The stock turbo, among other things, is intentionally stunted because people were having too much fun with N54s and making M3s look silly. If I were given an N55 car and had to choose a single mod it would be the PS2, even before JB4. It lets it breathe.