N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
bandook bandook is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 23
Join Date: Aug 2020
Car: 2013 335i
Default Fuel pressure issue, what pump do I need? - 09-16-2020, 06:39 PM

Fuel pressure is dropping. Trying to run e30 when I saw the drop, filled up with around e20 and it's still doing it. There is a fast, dull ticking noise coming from under rear seat. Think lpfp is on its way out, maybe. What is a go to lpfp for f30 335i? In my log you can see it dip out when it shifts to 4th, but the AFR goes rich. I figured it would lean out? Only had the car a month so I'm learning. Jb4+bef map 2.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P12_M2_R1_200916_193525.csv (7.1 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote
(#2)
Old
zole2112 zole2112 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 122
Join Date: Jul 2017
Car: 2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55
Default 09-21-2020, 12:18 PM

the ticking is interesting. I was running a stage 2 with a Walbro 450 for about a year. on my 2013 335xi I'm running stock at the moment though. you can get a stock assembly for about $160


2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG
Injen CAI/ER CP/VRSF C-less DPipe/Active A FMIC/JB4 v3 - Map 7/e50/Custom tuned exhaust/stock turbo/Resonator Delete/MHD & JB4 e85 BEF/Stage 2 LPFP Walbro 450
Summer '20 install: Speedtech BW 8374/PI & Tune by Trebila
Reply With Quote
(#3)
Old
bandook bandook is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 23
Join Date: Aug 2020
Car: 2013 335i
Default 09-21-2020, 01:57 PM

Yeah It's quiet on a cold star but after I bring it back home after a few runs it's ticking pretty noticeably. Definitely coming from the tank though. Yeah I've decided I'm just going to get a walbro and install it myself in the stock canister. Did you ever have any issues with the EKPS?
Reply With Quote
(#4)
Old
Terry @ BMS's Avatar
Terry @ BMS Terry @ BMS is offline
Tuner
 
Posts: 32,340
Join Date: Jan 2008
Default 09-21-2020, 03:13 PM

There isn't a low pressure sensor on the car that makes diagnostics tricky. I know fuel-it will have a sensor upgrade out some point to better diagnose issues like this.


Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
Reply With Quote
(#5)
Old
zole2112 zole2112 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 122
Join Date: Jul 2017
Car: 2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55
Default 09-21-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandook
Yeah It's quiet on a cold star but after I bring it back home after a few runs it's ticking pretty noticeably. Definitely coming from the tank though. Yeah I've decided I'm just going to get a walbro and install it myself in the stock canister. Did you ever have any issues with the EKPS?
Like Terry said, it sucks we don't have a low pressure sensor.

I had no issues with my EKP in the year I was running my Walbro, I know the E series guys have an issue but I don't know about the F series other than my own experience. I was thinking about putting a small fan or other heat sink on mine but haven't done it yet. The Walbro won't fit in the stock sleeve in the canister, you have to split it. I'm planning on rebuilding my stage 2 to make it a stage 3 with a stock pump primary and Walbro outboard for my PI.


2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG
Injen CAI/ER CP/VRSF C-less DPipe/Active A FMIC/JB4 v3 - Map 7/e50/Custom tuned exhaust/stock turbo/Resonator Delete/MHD & JB4 e85 BEF/Stage 2 LPFP Walbro 450
Summer '20 install: Speedtech BW 8374/PI & Tune by Trebila
Reply With Quote
(#6)
Old
bandook bandook is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 23
Join Date: Aug 2020
Car: 2013 335i
Default 09-21-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zole2112
Like Terry said, it sucks we don't have a low pressure sensor.

I had no issues with my EKP in the year I was running my Walbro, I know the E series guys have an issue but I don't know about the F series other than my own experience. I was thinking about putting a small fan or other heat sink on mine but haven't done it yet. The Walbro won't fit in the stock sleeve in the canister, you have to split it. I'm planning on rebuilding my stage 2 to make it a stage 3 with a stock pump primary and Walbro outboard for my PI.
Did you look at my log? I'm just wondering if it's normal to see the HPFP dips out like that. It's a lot better now that the boost is not spiking, but it drops to 6-8 some times. But always after a shift, not at high rpm. You are on e50 with stock hpfp? And map 7? I'd like to get where you are.
Reply With Quote
(#7)
Old
zole2112 zole2112 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 122
Join Date: Jul 2017
Car: 2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55
Default 09-22-2020, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandook
Did you look at my log? I'm just wondering if it's normal to see the HPFP dips out like that. It's a lot better now that the boost is not spiking, but it drops to 6-8 some times. But always after a shift, not at high rpm. You are on e50 with stock hpfp? And map 7? I'd like to get where you are.
I'm not adept at deciphering logs sadly but I'll look at it, Terry can you check it out? Every car is different so the level of ethanol you can run will likely be different than mine.


2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG
Injen CAI/ER CP/VRSF C-less DPipe/Active A FMIC/JB4 v3 - Map 7/e50/Custom tuned exhaust/stock turbo/Resonator Delete/MHD & JB4 e85 BEF/Stage 2 LPFP Walbro 450
Summer '20 install: Speedtech BW 8374/PI & Tune by Trebila
Reply With Quote
(#8)
Old
zole2112 zole2112 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 122
Join Date: Jul 2017
Car: 2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55
Default 09-22-2020, 06:10 AM

Did you throw any codes? I will get an occasional drivetrain malfuntion and throw a code for low fuel pressure. It's at wot and I'm sure it's because on map 7 with e50 my HPFP can't provide enough fuel so I get a low pressure code. that is a large drop in your log from 13 to 9 then all the way to 6.

I attached a recent log I did, I notice I am at FOL 85 vs you at 50 and if I remember correctly I started at FOL 50 and had drops in my fuel pressure in my logs and I raised it several times settling at 85. I see your duty biases (if that's the correct term) are different than mine as well...maybe Terry can comment.

I also think I may have a boost leak, going to address that with the O-ring upgrade soon.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P12_M7_R2_200910_1559.csv (11.3 KB, 11 views)


2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG
Injen CAI/ER CP/VRSF C-less DPipe/Active A FMIC/JB4 v3 - Map 7/e50/Custom tuned exhaust/stock turbo/Resonator Delete/MHD & JB4 e85 BEF/Stage 2 LPFP Walbro 450
Summer '20 install: Speedtech BW 8374/PI & Tune by Trebila

Last edited by zole2112; 09-22-2020 at 06:18 AM..
Reply With Quote
(#9)
Old
bandook bandook is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 23
Join Date: Aug 2020
Car: 2013 335i
Default 09-22-2020, 08:08 AM

No codes for me. I'll look at yours for comparison when I can thanks. I haven't messed with fol because my assumption was that fuel pressure is mechanical and there isn't much Jb4 can do about that. I think only thing Jb4 can do is affect fuel injector timing by telling the DME the trims are high. I have all settings at stock now just for testing. I was experimenting with them when I had boost spikes. Set them back to stock and found out I needed wdp at 0 to get rid of spikes.
Reply With Quote
(#10)
Old
zole2112 zole2112 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 122
Join Date: Jul 2017
Car: 2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55
Default 09-22-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandook
No codes for me. I'll look at yours for comparison when I can thanks. I haven't messed with fol because my assumption was that fuel pressure is mechanical and there isn't much Jb4 can do about that. I think only thing Jb4 can do is affect fuel injector timing by telling the DME the trims are high. I have all settings at stock now just for testing. I was experimenting with them when I had boost spikes. Set them back to stock and found out I needed wdp at 0 to get rid of spikes.
Yeah now that I think about it the FOL was to address my trims which were maxing out.


2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG
Injen CAI/ER CP/VRSF C-less DPipe/Active A FMIC/JB4 v3 - Map 7/e50/Custom tuned exhaust/stock turbo/Resonator Delete/MHD & JB4 e85 BEF/Stage 2 LPFP Walbro 450
Summer '20 install: Speedtech BW 8374/PI & Tune by Trebila
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright 2007 - 2020, N54tech.com