N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2007 e90 335i
Default Where can i go to get dyno tuned ? - 04-23-2020, 02:54 PM

I'm in the Los Angeles area. With my civic/ evo and turbo s2000 i normally just go to a shop and they dyno tune my car for me. I do all labor on all my cars myself but i dont feel comfortable with tuning and i don't feel comfortable with logging my runs on the street and email some stranger out of state and loading new tunes on my car remotely

i have a 2007 manual 335i with all the bolt ons with a spec stage 2+ clutch with pure stage 2 turbos with inlets as well with a stage 2 fuel pump with out port injection.

i run a jb4 with the mhd back end flash for hybrid turbos for e85. I run 50%91 octane with 50% e85 which normally comes out to about e45-e48.

I have been driving the cars for year like this and its ok but it need some fine tuning. on map 7 sometimes it will throw me into map 4. The boost targets are off. I would like a custom tune to get the boost targets right and to get the car at maximum power for my fuel setup.

I cannot find anyone in my area that will tune my car. Road race which tunes my evo will not touch my bmw. Shawn church who tunes my hondas wont tune my car. I called ssr performance and european auto source and these are bmw tuning shops with in house dynos and they said they do not tune n54 cars!!!

what gives?? Where can i go for someone to get my car fined tuned???

2007 e90 335i
pure stgae 2 DD turbos, rb inlets, bms 4 bar map sensor
Jb4 with mhd hybrid e85 back end flash, vrsf down pipe vrsf 7" intercooler, vrsf charge pipe with tial bov and afe intake. Fuel it stage 2 pump and fuel line/ethanol content kit.
spec stage 2+ clutch with new oem dmfw
(#2)
Old
Legend

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 04-23-2020, 09:11 PM

Honestly, it's probably not worth those shops' time because there's so many low cost and "free" methods of custom/fine tuning the N54 now. I don't have any tuning experience with any of those shops, but having had an N54 and a B58, I wouldn't let any shop tune either of those on a dyno because it's so (relatively) easy to have someone tune it remotely. Plus, a dyno will not fully simulate being on the road, especially an inertia based dyno like a Dynojet. Forget trying to find a shop with a load based dyno, like a Mustang Dyno, that REALLY knows how to set them up properly and also wants to take the time on your car.

Dyno tuning is hit and miss, in my opinion. Keep in mind that those businesses are basically "on the clock" the entire time your car is on the dyno, or otherwise taking up the shop's resources. So they want to get your car done with as quickly as possible. I come from the Mustang world, and I was so happy when I found the JB4 and this forum for helping me tune my own vehicle. There's no way you can get this type of support for "free" on any non-JB4 platform. Dyno tuning is so overrated, even without a JB4.

Personally, I had Trebila custom tune my N54 after I tried the BMS OTS flashes (both Cobb and MHD). Trebila fine tuned it very, very quickly, but my issues were more with timing at that point. Fine tuning boost control should all be done with the JB4, for the most part. Which you can easily get tons of free support on this forum with.

I am very particular about my cars, but I also don't consider myself a real "tuner". But the JB4 gives me pretty much all the tools I need to get my car running exactly the way I want it.

2018 Audi RS3 | APR Stage 1 E85 and 91 Flashes | JB4 for Logging

SOLD: 2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#3)
Old

Car: 2007 e90 335i
Default 04-23-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt1841
Honestly, it's probably not worth those shops' time because there's so many low cost and "free" methods of custom/fine tuning the N54 now. I don't have any tuning experience with any of those shops, but having had an N54 and a B58, I wouldn't let any shop tune either of those on a dyno because it's so (relatively) easy to have someone tune it remotely. Plus, a dyno will not fully simulate being on the road, especially an inertia based dyno like a Dynojet. Forget trying to find a shop with a load based dyno, like a Mustang Dyno, that REALLY knows how to set them up properly and also wants to take the time on your car.

Dyno tuning is hit and miss, in my opinion. Keep in mind that those businesses are basically "on the clock" the entire time your car is on the dyno, or otherwise taking up the shop's resources. So they want to get your car done with as quickly as possible. I come from the Mustang world, and I was so happy when I found the JB4 and this forum for helping me tune my own vehicle. There's no way you can get this type of support for "free" on any non-JB4 platform. Dyno tuning is so overrated, even without a JB4.

Personally, I had Trebila custom tune my N54 after I tried the BMS OTS flashes (both Cobb and MHD). Trebila fine tuned it very, very quickly, but my issues were more with timing at that point. Fine tuning boost control should all be done with the JB4, for the most part. Which you can easily get tons of free support on this forum with.

I am very particular about my cars, but I also don't consider myself a real "tuner". But the JB4 gives me pretty much all the tools I need to get my car running exactly the way I want it.
Thanks for the info. I guess Iím just lazy to learn and to do all the research on how to log and read the logs and to learn how to adjust all the boost target settings on the jb4. What It comes to modding cars I do 99% everything my self from swapping engines to building engines. The only things I donít do weld, custom fabricate and tune. I just donít feel like learning. Being in so cal I would think that would be a shop that can fine tune my car for the maximum output given my fueling limitations and to fine tune the boost control.

2007 e90 335i
pure stgae 2 DD turbos, rb inlets, bms 4 bar map sensor
Jb4 with mhd hybrid e85 back end flash, vrsf down pipe vrsf 7" intercooler, vrsf charge pipe with tial bov and afe intake. Fuel it stage 2 pump and fuel line/ethanol content kit.
spec stage 2+ clutch with new oem dmfw
(#4)
Old

Car: 2010 e92 335i msport
Default 04-24-2020, 12:57 AM

Don't be afraid to remote tune. I also run a Trebila tune myself. Sure, he's out in France and I'm here in Socal. But that's perfect for me because I'll usually log at night when roads are clear. I'll shoot the logs over after 9pm PST and I usually will have the revision back from him the next day.

Plus, I think logging on the street is better than on the dyno. You'll get real-world loads to work with.
(#5)
Old

Car: M240i
Default 04-29-2020, 09:18 PM

Split Second supports BMW's and will often provide tuning services if asked. If they cannot, they may be able to provide you a contact that can. Their great. Mark has worked on many of my vehicles.

https://splitsec.com/

I'm surprised that Road Race wouldn't assist. Mike generally takes all comers for tuning. However, they do remain very busy on the dyno. As other's have mentioned, don't be afraid of remote tuning. Often, some members can get you tuned via the forum if you're patient.

AFE Drop-in Filter
BMS Meth Kit (100% M1)
Muffler Delete
CA 91 Piss Gas...
(8oz Boostane 95ish Oct)
E85 (2Gal/Fill)
BEF (Race_WMI)
JB4 (Map 7 - Add 45... 19-20psi)