N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2010 E60/535i AT ó FBO+WMI
Default List of dumb questions, if anyone is bored... - 01-02-2020, 05:39 PM

Hi.

Iím N54 FBO + WMI. Iím about to do the xHP Tranny flash tomorrow (?).

1. what is the logical, economical, non-problem-causing next step? Iow, I cant afford new turbos or anything like that. Wondering what most people do next, but the car is also my needed daily driver, so that has to be considered ó canít destroy it.
2. What is the most common cause of an AFR lean safety. Seems like when my safeties happen, itís usually that one.
3. What will replacing the LPFP with a stage 2 or 2+ do for my car as itĎs currently built? Or is that only beneficial in conjunction with other, more aggressive, upgrades?
4. I searched for xHP on the forum but no hits. Question is: once I do the tranny flash, what happens to the SPORT button, and/or moving the stick to the left/sport mode. Do they still do something or is the tranny just flashed consistently to its xHP ďstageĒ regardless of button/stick selection. Just curious.
5. xHP flash... I keep my 6th gear, right? Since SPORT takes it away, Iím not sure about this. (Told you these were dumb questions)

Ok, thatís enough ignorance exposing for one night.

Thanks,
// Radar //

--------------------------------------------------------------
2010 535i M-Sport w/Sport AT/6-spd xHP Stage3, Alpine White w/Natural Leather, type-135 wheels w/spacers & Coilovers --- JB4 G5 ISO Trebila (Map-6/BEF) Custom Tune, Custom Meth Setup (link) , VRSF 3" free-flow D/Ps, MMPe DCIs, Wagner 1060 Stepped FMIC, VRSF Chargepipe/Tial BOV, BMS Oil Cooler Valve
(#2)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 01-03-2020, 09:28 AM

1. Just stop where you are if it is your DD and you are happy with it.
2. Usually fuel trims max out. Sometimes can be fixed with open-loop adjustments, sometimes you have just maxed out the system. Occasionally can be a failing LP or HP pump or injector problems. A bank-to-bank lean problem can be injectors, sensors, or bad port/meth flow.
3. Probably not needed with pump gas if you run meth as well. If you want to run E85 or port injection you'll need it.
4&5. I am a 6MT guy but have been around. Would start with the most basic one and see how you like it. It changes a few shift points, torque targets, shift speed, and line pressure usually. Plus a few logical things. The higher end versions are much more aggressive and might not work for DD.
(#3)
Old

Default 01-04-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB
1. Just stop where you are if it is your DD and you are happy with it.
2. Usually fuel trims max out. Sometimes can be fixed with open-loop adjustments, sometimes you have just maxed out the system. Occasionally can be a failing LP or HP pump or injector problems. A bank-to-bank lean problem can be injectors, sensors, or bad port/meth flow.
3. Probably not needed with pump gas if you run meth as well. If you want to run E85 or port injection you'll need it.
4&5. I am a 6MT guy but have been around. Would start with the most basic one and see how you like it. It changes a few shift points, torque targets, shift speed, and line pressure usually. Plus a few logical things. The higher end versions are much more aggressive and might not work for DD.
Thanks!

I appreciate the great response. Sometimes thereís no good place just to think out loud, and unfortunately I donít have any knowledgable BMW friends. Iím the guy who knows the most... isnít THAT scary!

Good info about the leaning. Worries me a bit.
Could be my meth, except it flows perfectly disconnected (purge), and I even pulled the spray head, cleaned it completely and then sprayed it out of the Chargepipe just to make sure all was good.
Injectors and plugs were replaced 40k ago...? Pumps are all OEM original with 105k on them.

I flashed to Stage1 yesterday, took for a drive. Very nice... amazing how smooth it is in D (didnít go far, never switched to S/M, never ďpushedĒ it). Flashed to Stage3 this morning. Figured Iíd start out too aggressive then back off from there if desired vs creeping up and looking for differences. Iím thinking Iíll end up at Stage2, but according to xHP, in ďDĒ thereís not much difference among the stages except for faster gear changes. Weíll see.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
V/r

// Radar //

2010 535i M-Sport w/Sport AT/6-spd xHP Stage3, Alpine White w/Natural Leather, type-135 wheels w/spacers & Coilovers --- JB4 G5 ISO Trebila (Map-6/BEF) Custom Tune, Custom Meth Setup (link) , VRSF 3" free-flow D/Ps, MMPe DCIs, Wagner 1060 Stepped FMIC, VRSF Chargepipe/Tial BOV, BMS Oil Cooler Valve
(#4)
Old

Default 01-06-2020, 08:58 AM

In case anyone is reading this ref the xHP flash...
Went straight to Stage 3 and it is so smoooooooth in “D”. Can’t wait till a couple hundred miles have passed so I can begin pushing it a little more *via the instructions from xHP.