JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#4626)
Old

Car: 18 gt rwd
Default 09-29-2021, 09:06 AM

i know i have seen rwd gts run good, i went to the local 1/8 mile track (non prepped) and ran 8.44 with a 2.1 60 ft and times got worse as the air/track got colder. i feel like i can do better with the setup I have.
(#4627)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-29-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamneagle96
Im new to all this and just wanted to ask, hopefully its the right place. I have a 18 gt rwd with jb4 (fuel wires installed), intake, denso plugs, burger brake snip and just wanted to see how you all are launching these cars, I have boost reduced in 1st and 2nd and still blow the tires off it. I love that the power is there , just need to get it on the ground, they are the stock michelin 19s. Thanks for any input!
Our diff brace helps a bit too!

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4628)
Old

Car: 2020 Kia Stinger GT1 AWD
Default 09-29-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
they are the ps4's, im probably launching it wrong, i brake boost it until around 2800 and it starts spinning the tires sitting still in both map 1 or 2. Im going to try to get them hot today and reduce air pressure to see if that helps.

Try a little less 2300-2500 can't imagine you'll lose much in time but will probably stop spinning.

2020 Stinger GT1 AWD CERAMIC SILVER W/RED INTERIOR
JB4 W/FUEL WIRES & EWG WIRES
BMS INTAKES
BMS WMI KIT
BMS OCC
FUEL IT FLEX FUEL KIT
BORLA EXHAUST
STOPTECH FRONT AND REAR PADS
DENSO 5346
SEIBON CARBON FIBER OEM HOOD
NICHE 20" WHEELS MATTE BRONZE
LLUMAR STRATOS CERAMIC WINDOW TINT
STEK DYNOSHIELD FULL FRONT CLEAR BRA
ROAR CERAMIC/GRAPHENE/POLYSILAZANE COATING
OEM PUDDLE LIGHTS INSTALLED AFTERMARKET
OEM FRONT AND REAR SPLASH GUARDS
DRONE MOBILE REMOTE START
(#4629)
Old

Default 09-29-2021, 09:28 AM

thanks guys! Terry thanks for the great product!
(#4630)
Old

Car: Kia Sportage SX Turbo
Default New User - 09-29-2021, 03:13 PM

Hello all,

I have a 2020 Kia Sportage 2.0 Turbo. I have the JB4 and Bluetooth module. I have replaced my plugs with HKS gaped at .26. Not going to lie I just wanted to make more power and have some fun when I put my foot into the petal. Anyways I was out day and did 3 runs. One with the system off, 2nd with map 1 and 3rd map 2. I have attached the logs. Admittedly they seem to be combined and I am sorry for that but My main questions is I notice that when in the maps I floor it and start to hear like a clicking noise during shift changes and they are not present with the system off, however they get louder with the increase in maps. Just some help would be appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P21_M0_R3_210929_1549.csv (96.3 KB, 67 views)
(#4631)
Old

Default 09-29-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicboi
Hello all,

I have a 2020 Kia Sportage 2.0 Turbo. I have the JB4 and Bluetooth module. I have replaced my plugs with HKS gaped at .26. Not going to lie I just wanted to make more power and have some fun when I put my foot into the petal. Anyways I was out day and did 3 runs. One with the system off, 2nd with map 1 and 3rd map 2. I have attached the logs. Admittedly they seem to be combined and I am sorry for that but My main questions is I notice that when in the maps I floor it and start to hear like a clicking noise during shift changes and they are not present with the system off, however they get louder with the increase in maps. Just some help would be appreciated.

Please do full throttle pulls 40-80+ mph. Pedal to the floor from 40 mph to at least 80 mph (safely)

BMS INTAKES
BMS WMI KIT
BMS OCC
FUEL IT FLEX FUEL KIT
BORLA EXHAUST
DENSO 5346
(#4632)
Old

Car: 2020 Stinger
Default No wheel spin - 09-29-2021, 04:03 PM

I have the other problem. I can't get wheel spin barely at all. Mine runs 12.8 on the qtr mile but 60ft times of 2.23. Top speed off 112mph so it reckon it will go faster if it launched harder. I swear the computer still gets in the way. I've even got a throttle controller on it, even on most aggressive setting it won't give what feels like full throttle until like half a second after pressing the pedal, also the throttle response mod in the latest jb4 firmware doesn't feel like it improves the throttle response off the line.
Is it possible Aus cars or some cars have a more restricted throttle response and even throttle controller or jb4 will never be enough to overcome it completely?

I've almost felt like the first time I turn on the throttle controller or jb4 performance is improved but then it returns to 'kia' safe performance. So much so that I tried unplugging the computer overnight to reset it and then run the throttle controller again but never seemed to regain that throttle response / performance boost like using the throttle controller for the first time.

I just wanna lay some rubber! Haha

Quote:
they are the ps4's, im probably launching it wrong, i brake boost it until around 2800 and it starts spinning the tires sitting still in both map 1 or 2. Im going to try to get them hot today and reduce air pressure to see if that helps.
(#4633)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-29-2021, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynevans
I have the other problem. I can't get wheel spin barely at all. Mine runs 12.8 on the qtr mile but 60ft times of 2.23. Top speed off 112mph so it reckon it will go faster if it launched harder. I swear the computer still gets in the way. I've even got a throttle controller on it, even on most aggressive setting it won't give what feels like full throttle until like half a second after pressing the pedal, also the throttle response mod in the latest jb4 firmware doesn't feel like it improves the throttle response off the line.
Is it possible Aus cars or some cars have a more restricted throttle response and even throttle controller or jb4 will never be enough to overcome it completely?

I've almost felt like the first time I turn on the throttle controller or jb4 performance is improved but then it returns to 'kia' safe performance. So much so that I tried unplugging the computer overnight to reset it and then run the throttle controller again but never seemed to regain that throttle response / performance boost like using the throttle controller for the first time.

I just wanna lay some rubber! Haha
RWD? Let's see a log, never heard of a RWD car having issues lighting em up!

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4634)
Old

Default 09-29-2021, 04:14 PM

Yeah Aus only gets rwd. I'm no stranger to laying rubber just never had to try doing it in a modern car. Even with traction and stability off the computers get in the way of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
RWD? Let's see a log, never heard of a RWD car having issues lighting em up!
Attached Files
File Type: csv JB4 Mobile Logs 22 sept 2021 drags.csv (113.0 KB, 77 views)
(#4635)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-29-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Yeah Aus only gets rwd. I'm no stranger to laying rubber just never had to try doing it in a modern car. Even with traction and stability off the computers get in the way of fun.
You'd make another 20-30hp with fuel wires enabled! But the data side seems good. I see IAT is up there so maybe its just warm enough that the tires are extra grippy? Done the brake boost switch?
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#4636)
Old

Default 09-29-2021, 04:50 PM

Thanks Terry. No magic answers to how I drop some skids!!? Will look into the brake boost switch again. Seems a bit scary but haven't looked into heaps.
I have recently purchased the extra wire connectors so I can add the fuel wire without positapping the original wire. Will be adding them soon but car will be going to dealer for a windscreen soon so holding off. I've also done denso 1 colder plugs gapped to .022. That was done since the drags.

All the power is good, it will wheel spin a bit on road launches but not off the line, maybe 3m/10ft then can lose a little traction. So annoying. I swear I got a dud car somehow. Extra strict nanny power in the computer killing the fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
You'd make another 20-30hp with fuel wires enabled! But the data side seems good. I see IAT is up there so maybe its just warm enough that the tires are extra grippy? Done the brake boost switch?
(#4637)
Old

Default 09-29-2021, 05:36 PM

Probably a dumb question but just got back in from trying stuff out with boost reduction set at 5.0 psi in 1st, does it only reduce if in manual shift or work when in D as well? I had it in D and it went up to 16 psi off the launch. Thanks for any info.
(#4638)
Old

Default 09-30-2021, 11:48 AM

I think I figured it out with the help from Jeff at burger, those guys are the best and are so helpful , thanks! I guess I thought the boost reduction would work in all maps not just map 6, with that being said and now that I am understanding more what would be a base setup for boost under map 6 from 1500 to 7000 rpm, I know that map 2 says around 5 psi increase over stock and taper at high rpm, would I put boost at 5.0 psi from 1500 rpm to say around 5,000 rpm and taper to 4 or 3?i I will send logs , just wanted to get a base on it and get the log looked over by Terry later on.
Thanks again to Jeff and the team from burger motorsports!
(#4639)
Old

Default 09-30-2021, 11:51 AM

mods are of course jb4, intakes, 1 step plugs, brake snip, occ
(#4640)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-30-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks Terry. No magic answers to how I drop some skids!!? Will look into the brake boost switch again. Seems a bit scary but haven't looked into heaps.
I have recently purchased the extra wire connectors so I can add the fuel wire without positapping the original wire. Will be adding them soon but car will be going to dealer for a windscreen soon so holding off. I've also done denso 1 colder plugs gapped to .022. That was done since the drags.

All the power is good, it will wheel spin a bit on road launches but not off the line, maybe 3m/10ft then can lose a little traction. So annoying. I swear I got a dud car somehow. Extra strict nanny power in the computer killing the fun.
The data side seems OK, I think the higher temps and lack of fuel wires are sapping power (and boosting traction) a bit. The brake boost switch will definitely help launches.

Burger Motorsports

(#4641)
Old

Default 10-01-2021, 07:50 PM

Here is a log from tonight at the 1/8 mile track, would love for you to look over terry if possible to see if everything looks ok.
Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: csv P21_M6_R2_211001_1921.csv (46.6 KB, 66 views)
(#4642)
Old

Car: Kia Stinger
Default 10-02-2021, 01:54 PM

Hey Terry - looking for a log review please.

GT2 AWD, 91 Octane, Denso Plugs gapped with your tool, K&N Intake, Map 2, fuel wires and EWG installed, 4th gear 2-6k RPM.

Please note this is at 5300ft elevation.

Can you please advise what the critical numbers you're looking at specifically for the stingers? I'm a mechatronics engineer and have a small amount of experience with ECUs.

I could hear the boost oscillating/surging around 2-3k rpm but it smooths out after that, can't "feel" it in the pull though.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P21-M1-R9-211002-1349.csv (71.9 KB, 81 views)
(#4643)
Old

Default 10-02-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonger

GT2 AWD, 91 Octane, Denso Plugs gapped with your tool, K&N Intake, Map 2, fuel wires and EWG installed, 4th gear 2-6k RPM.

Can you please advise what the critical numbers you're looking at specifically for the stingers? I'm a mechatronics engineer and have a small amount of experience with ECUs.

I could hear the boost oscillating/surging around 2-3k rpm but it smooths out after that, can't "feel" it in the pull though.

Timing corrections there.. What is your gap set at? Any E85 in your area a couple gallon splash and that will clear up a lot of that I’m sure.

BMS INTAKES
BMS WMI KIT
BMS OCC
FUEL IT FLEX FUEL KIT
BORLA EXHAUST
DENSO 5346
(#4644)
Old

Default 10-02-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybone
Timing corrections there.. What is your gap set at? Any E85 in your area a couple gallon splash and that will clear up a lot of that Iím sure.
Whatever the recommendation was with the JB4, I canít recall.

Whatís the suggested e85 ratio on an empty tank now, without running a sensor full time so I can give it a try? E.g. 3 gallons e85 and the rest 91? I canít get more than 91 up here in Colorado.

Iím happy to grab a sensor i can wire into the jb4 for long term reliability- whatís the defacto standard solution there these days?
(#4645)
Old

Default 10-02-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Whatever the recommendation was with the JB4, I can’t recall.

What’s the suggested e85 ratio on an empty tank now, without running a sensor full time so I can give it a try? E.g. 3 gallons e85 and the rest 91? I can’t get more than 91 up here in Colorado.

I’m happy to grab a sensor i can wire into the jb4 for long term reliability- what’s the defacto standard solution there these days?

Fuel it flex fuel sensor will allow you to see E level and auto adjust the tuning of the jb4. Otherwise you can always dump in 3 gallons of E and the rest 91. Or you can get a test kit and test your E at the pump and then can dial it in that way as E levels vary greatly station to station. I have the fuel it and like the auto tuning it does and the E level in my area is consistent so I know 5 gallons of E and the rest 92 octane in my area

BMS INTAKES
BMS WMI KIT
BMS OCC
FUEL IT FLEX FUEL KIT
BORLA EXHAUST
DENSO 5346
(#4646)
Old

Car: Stinger
Default 10-03-2021, 06:35 AM

Quote:

Looks like you have a map 1 log here. Definitely upgrade your fuel before you go to 2. I would upgrade the fuel and check another map1 pull before heading to 2.
(#4647)
Old

Default 10-03-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncbilly
Looks like you have a map 1 log here. Definitely upgrade your fuel before you go to 2. I would upgrade the fuel and check another map1 pull before heading to 2.
It’s map 2 - 4th gear run is at the end of the log, but you’re right it does start on map 1.

I put 3 gallons of e85 that was labeled as e70 today and topped off the rest with 91.

Pulled back onto the highway at 9000ft elevation, pulling up a reasonable steep incline on map 1 in sport mode with cruise control on around 70mph and it went into limp mode and threw a CEL again, same code as my previous post asking for help - P25A0.

It sounded like the cruise control had rolled into the throttle gently and it was under high load in a high gear with low rpm, like the gearbox should have kicked down but it didn’t. I could hear a lot of induction noise and the turbos spooling a lot but not a lot of torque coming through. Perhaps I should leave it in map 0 on cruise control if it’s going to behave like this.

I cleared the code and babied it in comfort and map 0 for the rest of the trip at elevation.

Still have half a tank of this ethanol mix and I’ll try another 4th gear log on map 1 and see what it looks like some time this week.
(#4648)
Old

Car: Stinger
Default 10-04-2021, 05:27 AM

Try adding more E. I use 20 litres e85 to 40 litres CDN chevron 94 which isn’t much if any better than your 91. I would go 5 gallons of your E to the 91. Cheers
(#4649)
Old

Default 10-04-2021, 05:43 AM

Quote:
It’s map 2 - 4th gear run is at the end of the log, but you’re right it does start on map 1.

I put 3 gallons of e85 that was labeled as e70 today and topped off the rest with 91.

Pulled back onto the highway at 9000ft elevation, pulling up a reasonable steep incline on map 1 in sport mode with cruise control on around 70mph and it went into limp mode and threw a CEL again, same code as my previous post asking for help - P25A0.

It sounded like the cruise control had rolled into the throttle gently and it was under high load in a high gear with low rpm, like the gearbox should have kicked down but it didn’t. I could hear a lot of induction noise and the turbos spooling a lot but not a lot of torque coming through. Perhaps I should leave it in map 0 on cruise control if it’s going to behave like this.

I cleared the code and babied it in comfort and map 0 for the rest of the trip at elevation.

Still have half a tank of this ethanol mix and I’ll try another 4th gear log on map 1 and see what it looks like some time this week.

That's weird you got that code again. If I remember correctly that is the same thing I was doing had my cruise control activated and then then I went to take over nothing there but turbo spool and very little acceleration. Put on a couple thousand miles driving the same as before and knock on wood hasn't come back.

BMS INTAKES
BMS WMI KIT
BMS OCC
FUEL IT FLEX FUEL KIT
BORLA EXHAUST
DENSO 5346
(#4650)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-04-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:

Main issue are the timing corrections. May need to lower the boost target if octane can't be improved. Also, you're not going 100% pedal.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports