N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default Not More Inlet options!! RB EVO Style Inlets Sneak Peak!! - 03-24-2016, 06:48 AM

Yes I know... it is getting very old already. Inlets Inlets Inlets.

Anyway this was set in motion quite a while ago so figured I'd share. These are now out for 3rd party test fitting and feedback as we try to button up contents and cost of the kit. In the meantime I figured I'd share a few pics of the new option.

Quick note: These are not going to be el cheapos, but will be for the more discerning crowd looking for passenger side silicone inlets.

Thanks,
Rob
Attached Images

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#2)
Old

Car: 2008 BSM 135i
Default 03-24-2016, 07:01 AM

I like the single filter design. Your front inlet looks to be routed better than other kits.

What other hardware/accessories will come with the kit? Estimated price point?

🚀 My 750HP 135i build: my1series.com
🔧 My budget 335i build: bmw335i.com
📷 Follow me on Instagram: instagram.com/jakespence
🎬 Watch me on YouTube: youtube.com/jakespence135
🌟 Support me on Patreon: patreon.com/jake_spence
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
(#3)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-24-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful
I like the single filter design. Your front inlet looks to be routed better than other kits.

What other hardware/accessories will come with the kit? Estimated price point?
There are quite a few extra bits with this kit, so it will certainly not be cheaper than our driver side silicone inlets. In short it is not going to be cheap or able to compete with some of the other passenger side inlets on the market, otherwise we'd be selling them at a loss. There are numerous high quality custom CNC'd parts involved with this kit. I too like the single filter but it was more difficult to produce due to numerous custom adaptations that have to be machined, which also includes (not easily seen in the pictures) a top mount shield to protect the filter from vented hoods water and also gives a nice finished look when the hood is popped. Everything aluminum is anodized and all clamps are high end stainless marine grade with long pig tails to protect the hosing. Cutting cost to achieve a great advertised price was not our concern.

We will hammer down the specifics when we have it all figured out, but if one is looking for a sub $500 amount there are other options out there for you (ie. our driver side inlets for example).

Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#4)
Old

Car: 2009 135i Coupe
Default 03-24-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
There are quite a few extra bits with this kit, so it will certainly not be cheaper than our driver side silicone inlets. In short it is not going to be cheap or able to compete with some of the other passenger side inlets on the market, otherwise we'd be selling them at a loss. There are numerous high quality custom CNC'd parts involved with this kit. I too like the single filter but it was more difficult to produce due to numerous custom adaptations that have to be machined, which also includes (not easily seen in the pictures) a top mount shield to protect the filter from vented hoods water and also gives a nice finished look when the hood is popped. Everything aluminum is anodized and all clamps are high end stainless marine grade with long pig tails to protect the hosing. Cutting cost to achieve a great advertised price was not our concern.

We will hammer down the specifics when we have it all figured out, but if one is looking for a sub $500 amount there are other options out there for you (ie. our driver side inlets for example).

Rob
I won't miss the group buy this time !

f*** v-bands clamp
(#5)
Old

Car: '07 335i
Default 03-24-2016, 07:49 AM

'07 E90 MT Sports Package l FBO l RB Next Gen Plus l JB4 G5 with DPT E85 BEF l N20 MAP Sensor l MMP Inlets l RB Outlets l Custom Exhaust l NLS & 2-Step l MFactory 3.46 LSD l 335is Clutch with MFactory SMFW l Walbro 450 l Direct Port Meth Injection

Best 1/4 ET: 11.4
Best 1.4 Trap: 127.7
(#6)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-24-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traf
I won't miss the group buy this time !
If enough parties are still out there who are inlet-less then we could probably make this happen to help with whatever the cost would otherwise be.

Rob

(#7)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 03-24-2016, 08:13 AM

Wow nice clean setup there. What if anything needs to be relocated from that side?
(#8)
Old
Got Boost?

Car: 2010 135i
Default 03-24-2016, 08:16 AM

My one concern with this design is turbulence in the filter between the two inlets and the lack of incorporated velocity stack in the filter outlet (assuming this since most filters with two outlets don't).

Why didn't you join the inlets prior to the filter or use two separate filters?

2009 BMW 135i MT, Jet Black, ///M Sport, Premium - JB4|JB4 Backend Flash|BMS DCI|Raceland cattless ***|BMS Chargepipe|TiAL BOV|Golf Tee|Tint|Breyton GTS-R Wheels|Nitto NT05s
SOLD - 2010 BMW 135i AT, Alpine White, ///M Sport - JB4|BMS DCI|Macht Schnell 3" cattless ***|Golf Tee|33% Tint|Nitto NT555s|///M Pedals

2015 MkVII GTI MT, Pure White - Forge BOV|Nitto NT555s --DD / Wifey's Car--
(#9)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-24-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB
Wow nice clean setup there. What if anything needs to be relocated from that side?
The coolant reservoir needs to move over to the driver side, typical of passenger side inlets. The perk of this kit though is that the vacuum canisters can stay on the same bracket and location, but the bracket does need "modified" and moved forward (towards the headlight). Still looks really clean in their same OE-like location though.

The bummer with all of the passenger side inlets (which few every seem to discuss at least in any detail) is that there is excess labor in the details (ie. kind of a PITA).

Rob

(#10)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-24-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forced Air
My one concern with this design is turbulence in the filter between the two inlets and the lack of incorporated velocity stack in the filter outlet (assuming this since most filters with two outlets don't).

Why didn't you join the inlets prior to the filter or use two separate filters?
I think your concern is a bit over the top. Personally I like this design and it powered the first stock frame car into the 10's last year. I have no doubts that car will go mid 10's this year, and it could go faster even yet but ultimately I do not think the inlet system is going to be its weak link. So in short I think it should suffice on most everyones 11-14sec cars.

All in all it's just an option, don't like it don't buy it- there are a gazillion to choose from these days.

Rob

(#11)
Old

Car: 535xi Wagon
Default 03-24-2016, 08:39 AM

Rob,

What does that inside of that filter look like? I wonder if there is a partition at all between the outlets or if there is some design to help it is simply a large/long cone filter with separate outlets. I am a huge fan of the single filter inlet!

It looks like that heat shield would work on any stock or hybrid turbo setup, any chance of selling that individually?

Evan

EDIT: I didn't see the last 2 posts before I typed mine so sorry for being redundant but I am still curious about the internal design of the filter!

N54 Powered M5 Wagon:
- M5 Driveshaft, M5 LSD, M5 Axles, M5 Brakes, M5 Rear Suspension
- M5 Front End, M5 skirts, M5 Mirrors, M-Tech Rep Rear
- KW V3, RD Sport Sways, UR Strut Braces, Forgestar F14 SDC
- Manual Trans Swap, MFactory SMFW, Spec Stg 3+ Clutch, UUC SSK
- EOS Port Injection Manifold, Fuel-It: Stg 2 LPFP +Lines +Ethanol Sensor
- JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Inlets, AR ***, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP, Tial BOV, RB Ext. PCV, BMS OCC
(#12)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-24-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
Rob,

What does that inside of that filter look like? I wonder if there is a partition at all between the outlets or if there is some design to help it is simply a large/long cone filter with separate outlets. I am a huge fan of the single filter inlet!

It looks like that heat shield would work on any stock or hybrid turbo setup, any chance of selling that individually?

Evan
Thanks sir. I will snap a pic of the filter and adapter next time I assemble one, should be fairly soon. But the filter has dual inlets built into it. The custom adapter is simply a means to connect both sides (filter and inlets) to keep everything stationary and also allow for mounting of the upper filter shield.

Rob

(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-24-2016, 08:52 AM

Cool idea. That's probably how I'd do it if I were ever making a kit. Is there a way to make it work without having to relocate the coolant tank though? That would be the ultimate drop in setup.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#14)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-24-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Cool idea. That's probably how I'd do it if I were ever making a kit. Is there a way to make it work without having to relocate the coolant tank though? That would be the ultimate drop in setup.
Thanks Terry! Unfortunately no. The only real way to do a drop in setup (i.e. without any unneeded relocations) is this route, which is another great option!
http://www.rbturbo.com/products/acce...ilicone-inlets

(#15)
Old

Car: n54 335i
Default 03-24-2016, 09:13 AM

This is a nice product and hassle free for installation. There wont be any headaches after installation with these silicone inlets.

Rob, any plans to bring your silicone outlets as shown here?
With these inlets and those outlets, it will be a fantastic combination
(#16)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-24-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neroneuman
This is a nice product and hassle free for installation. There wont be any headaches after installation with these silicone inlets.

Rob, any plans to bring your silicone outlets as shown here?
With these inlets and those outlets, it will be a fantastic combination
This thread is about our new RB "EVO Style" inlets for stock frames (available in 1.75" or 2" versions), which are made nearly identical to what we include with our Super RB EVO's (as pictured). The outlets in your picture are specific to the Super RB EVO's (which have a different and much larger compressor housing), but we will be eventually making stock compressor housing outlets too. Don't wait up for those though, they will be a bit of time yet. Also don't sweat it too much as keep in mind they can always be added later.

One last thing about outlets: They are going to be found to be largely over rated on stock compressor housings. Cool to have but don't expect too much out of them.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 03-24-2016 at 09:58 AM..
(#17)
Old
Got Boost?

Car: 2010 135i
Default 03-24-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I think your concern is a bit over the top. Personally I like this design and it powered the first stock frame car into the 10's last year. I have no doubts that car will go mid 10's this year, and it could go faster even yet but ultimately I do not think the inlet system is going to be its weak link. So in short I think it should suffice on most everyones 11-14sec cars.

All in all it's just an option, don't like it don't buy it- there are a gazillion to choose from these days.

Rob
Wasn't by any means trying to say that there are issues with it. I was more just curious why you did it the way you did...

I don't think it will be the weak link either by any means, but if there is improvement available somewhere without a reason not to do it....

I remember looking at AEM's flow bench videos back in the day showing how a good filter with built in velocity stack would flow more than removing the filter and running an open pipe. (which people used to do a lot at the strip) This may not be a big of an issue with turbos as opposed to engine vacuum though.

The turbulence between the pipes was more of an afterthought...without running it through a CAD program any effect is probably unnoticeable.

I will probably pick one up from you...

-cheers

2009 BMW 135i MT, Jet Black, ///M Sport, Premium - JB4|JB4 Backend Flash|BMS DCI|Raceland cattless ***|BMS Chargepipe|TiAL BOV|Golf Tee|Tint|Breyton GTS-R Wheels|Nitto NT05s
SOLD - 2010 BMW 135i AT, Alpine White, ///M Sport - JB4|BMS DCI|Macht Schnell 3" cattless ***|Golf Tee|33% Tint|Nitto NT555s|///M Pedals

2015 MkVII GTI MT, Pure White - Forge BOV|Nitto NT555s --DD / Wifey's Car--

Last edited by Forced Air; 03-24-2016 at 10:13 AM..
(#18)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-24-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forced Air
This may not be a big of an issue with turbos as opposed to engine vacuum though.
Precisely, application matters!

Too much silly stuff taken out of context these days on the forums and internet. Things such as "Run a 3" Inlet on your 1.5" Compressor and a 2" Outlet on your 1" Turbo Outlet to make big POWA! It FLOWS MONSTER, LOOK AT THE MEGA FLOW BENCH FIGURES IT'LL SUPERCHARGE YOUR TURBO!!!"

Anyway there is a time to simply just upgrade the mechanism chiefly responsible for the airflow which is obviously the turbos. Now minute changes can always be made (really indefinitely) but there is also a point where you realize it does not really matter on the street.

In short I have no reason to believe this system will be lacking for this application in anyway whatsoever.

Rob

(#19)
Old

Car: n54 335i
Default 03-24-2016, 11:29 AM

Sounds good. Thanks Rob
(#20)
Old

Car: N54 135i
Default 03-24-2016, 12:10 PM

These look great. I was leaning PR's, but always wondered how silicone would hold up to the heat. Like the heat shield, alleviates that concern.

2008 Montego Blue 135i Coupe // Sport Package // JB4 G5 Iso in passive mode with custom e30 MHD tune // Bluetooth e85 content analyzer with JB4 integration // Walboro 255 inline pump // BMS downp|pes // VRSF 7" FMIC // ER charge pipe // Turbosmart BOV // Injen intake // M-Factory SMFW // F10 550i clutch // Vorshlag camber plates // Hotchkis FSB // Turner adjustable drop links // AST 5100 coilovers // Hawk HPS pads // Ti backing plates // Stoptech stainless lines // Turner 15mm front spacers
(#21)
Old

Car: 2009 135i Coupe
Default 03-24-2016, 12:39 PM

Will it come with a relocating kit ?

f*** v-bands clamp
(#22)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-24-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traf
Will it come with a relocating kit ?
If it makes or breaks marketability we will at least add in the $15 worth of junk we could call "a relocation kit".

Although my hope is to take a nicer approach and offer a separate 335d coolant reservoir relocation. Of course anything we do that is nice just costs more which means it loses marketability. Which brings back to picking battles on whether to send $15 of junk or to do things nicely in the first place (and not sell them because of the cost). Uhhgg lol.

Anyway as stated we will work on this with the 3rd party installer. This is just a sneak peak and not a full release.

Rob

(#23)
Old

Car: 2008 135i AT
Send a message via Skype™ to OldBooster
Default 03-24-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Precisely, application matters!

Too much silly stuff taken out of context these days on the forums and internet. Things such as "Run a 3" Inlet on your 1.5" Compressor and a 2" Outlet on your 1" Turbo Outlet to make big POWA! It FLOWS MONSTER, LOOK AT THE MEGA FLOW BENCH FIGURES IT'LL SUPERCHARGE YOUR TURBO!!!"

Anyway there is a time to simply just upgrade the mechanism chiefly responsible for the airflow which is obviously the turbos. Now minute changes can always be made (really indefinitely) but there is also a point where you realize it does not really matter on the street.

In short I have no reason to believe this system will be lacking for this application in anyway whatsoever.

Rob
Fingernails on the blackboard. Obsessed with discovering the best filter supported by meaningless comparative flow data (what time, what day, what temp, what humidity, what gauge, what operator, what agenda ...) it is ordered and protected with great care until it can be tested at the track.

The first run without the new filter yielded a 12.45 ET at 116 mph. Then, with great fanfare, the queen of all filters is installed while friends and hangers-on gawk with heightened anticipation.

The car, again staged with filter secured, blasts out of the hole to run a best of 12.45 ET at 116 mph. WTF??

Terry's unmatched dedication to the N54
Held #1 on www.DragTimes.com:
First to run 11.012 @129.30
(#24)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 03-24-2016, 01:09 PM

Awwww shiiieeeet

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#25)
Old

Car: 2008 BSM 135i
Default 03-24-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shot
These look great. I was leaning PR's, but always wondered how silicone would hold up to the heat. Like the heat shield, alleviates that concern.
The "heat shield" won't help to keep things any cooler. It is on top of the filter, not between the pipes/filter and turbos/manifold. I'm not sure I would call it a heat shield. More so a shield that keeps water, dirt, and debris off of the filter. It should does look good though!

Something else to keep in mind, there is a fair amount of things needed to relocate the coolant and power steering reservoirs, along with the boost canisters. PR includes all necessary hardware, brackets, and harnesses.

Rob, I would include everything needed if I were you. If this kit is supposed to be the cream of the crop, you might as well just do it all up nice and charge accordingly. People that buy the highest quality parts at higher prices will be your target market.

🚀 My 750HP 135i build: my1series.com
🔧 My budget 335i build: bmw335i.com
📷 Follow me on Instagram: instagram.com/jakespence
🎬 Watch me on YouTube: youtube.com/jakespence135
🌟 Support me on Patreon: patreon.com/jake_spence
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com