N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 E60
Default Replacing Injectors - 08-20-2019, 01:03 PM

Been chasing down a misfire, and after replacing sparks and coils @ 95k miles, got better for a while, and then back to a really rough idle/run. it seems that I'm still getting a misfire in cyl6. kWould sometimes clear itslef out and then come back. Now it's seems to be permanently here for the past couple of days.

From dealer records, 5 of 6 injectors (along with the HPFP) were replaced March 2011 @ 35k. Not sure why not all 6, but whatever. Car is beyond the 10yr/120k so no free injector replacement.

Found some injectors Index 9, and wondering if there's anything terrible about index 9 other than I may end up exactly where I am in another 50k miles?. I can do all 6 for about the cost of 2 Index 12. Don't know what index the current ones are, but since it's from 2011 recall, Index 9 seems like a likely candidate, maybe 8. They used 13-53-7-585-261.

Other options is remanufactured/refurbished, but not sure what that means, or what to expec. For a full set of Index 12 about $300, maybe it's worth a shot? At least I'll replace 4-6 for now and have some spares?

Thanks in advance,

Carlos.

2008 E60 535i AT
Upgrades - MHD Stage 1, xHP Stage 3
Path to 500 - CP/BOV, DCI, JB4, Stage 2 LPFP, MHD Stage 2+, Inlets, Outlets, FMIC, Down tubes
(can't use d followed by p or the actual p word...lol)
(#2)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Vert (E93, N54)
Default 08-21-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosmp
For a full set of Index 12 about $300,

Hey carlosmp,

Are you stating you found a full set of Index 12 for approx $300, or $300 for each of the 6? ($1800)

If 300 for the set, please PM me and I'll by immediately.

Index 9 appear to have the worst track record, statistically, and thus whey Amazon is littered with them.
Index 12 is current and thus believed to be the best.

My original Index 8 are leaking more frequently, at 195,000km.

2008 335i Convertible, E93, N54, A/T (200,000+ km)
Wheels: 322 | Tires: R.275/35r18, F.245/40r18
TUNE: JB4/Trebila | 24 PSI | 100% Meth via dual CM5 | 94 Octane
BMS: JB4, Map 6 | WMI | 5" FMIC | OCC | DCI | Cowel Filters
RB: Inlets | PCV Valve
VRSF: DiPis | CP
HKS BOV
xHP Stage 3
NGK-97506 @ .020

Maintenance:
2018 - A/T Replaced | Ign Coils | Walnut Blast
2019 - Index 12 Injectors | VCG | OFHG & O-rings | TStat
2020 - OPG | Battery | IBS | Water Pump | Plugs | Alternator
(#3)
Old

Car: 2008 E60
Default 08-21-2019, 09:44 AM

I wish it was "new" index 12...That was for set of 6 Index 12 Reman/refurb/used...for around $300 on fleabay. Not sure what to expect.

Ordered 3 of the index 9 and we'll see what shows up. One has to be better than what I have causing the misfire. If that fixes the issue, i'll run with that, and when the next one leaks, i'll make a decision to go to 12's or not. Or if i decide to get more power quicker...

2008 E60 535i AT
Upgrades - MHD Stage 1, xHP Stage 3
Path to 500 - CP/BOV, DCI, JB4, Stage 2 LPFP, MHD Stage 2+, Inlets, Outlets, FMIC, Down tubes
(can't use d followed by p or the actual p word...lol)
(#4)
Old

Car: e92 n54 pre lci
Default 08-21-2019, 09:44 AM

Yeah, 300 bucks for all 6 index 12s is a crazy deal if true. I would steer away from index 9s. I bought 3 new index 12s and 3 used ones off ebay all. Installed them myself. Working great. No more exhaust blow by or fuel in oil.

FBO MT N54 w/stock turbos-tuned by Trebila
(#5)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 08-21-2019, 11:37 AM

beleive index 9 are the most prone to fail hence why they have been popping up - I'd stay awya from the 9s

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Car: 2009 335xi E90
Default 08-23-2019, 07:08 PM

From my very first hand, and recent experience, DO NOT BUY REBUILT INJECTORS of any index.

My car had a full set of index 9, which were already replaced under warranty with another set of index 9 (prior to my ownership of the car). Bank 3 got stuck open right at the same time the LPFP went out. Got the LPFP replaced, and I needed the car at least running, so I bought a $40USD rebuilt index 9 with similar pattern numbers. Popped it in, coded in the new values, and car ran "okay" at stock for the next 6-9 months. I could not go above 10psi no matter what. Stock it would still misfire often, but at least it wasn't stuck open.

Fast forward to the past few weeks. Bank 3 started to get misfires again, so I bought an entire set of index 12, brand new injectors for $1200USD. This log thread details details the info and logs with the new injectors. This link describes the differences with index 9/12.

Now the car is running pretty good on map 5.

Long story short: if you want to run above stock, DO NOT get rebuilt injectors no matter what their index. If someone is selling a "rebuilt" index 12 injector, they are lying and they are not index 12 (get the part number in full and reference the link above), or it is index 12 and its a bum injector with new ring sets installed and cleaned up to "look" rebuilt. Shiny does not mean it works
(#7)
Old

Car: 2009 335xi E90
Default 08-23-2019, 08:29 PM

Was trying to find my other injector links in my favorites. Found em!

Pelican had some info about Index <= 10, and Index >= 11 differences. There isn't much material there to read, but it's another source.

The last source for injector issues, though not index related, is broken mounts and mounting tabs.