N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: BMW 135i
Default Flywheels - 07-08-2016, 08:43 PM

Hello guys...

I can't not decided which flywheel I will buy spec or mfactory. I will go with spec 2+ clutch..

Any recommendations
(#2)
Old

Car: 07 335i mt
Default 07-09-2016, 01:27 PM

I have the MFactory flywheel with the spec stage 3+ clutch. I have no issues with it and love working with mfactory. I went with the uuc reccomendation on trans fluid and raised the idle and it's virtually noise free.
(#3)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 07-11-2016, 04:25 AM

I have MFactory too and must say that as a DD all the noises are annoying. On all gears it is noisy from 2000 to 2800rpm and on 5th it is nearly unbearable from 3000 to 3400. As these are ranges you normally drive when not "racing".. I find it annoying.

There are two groups of people with SMFW. One that is OK and second.. that has severe problems with noise and vibrations..

E92 335i N54, Hexon RR500, JB4, DCI, MMP inlets, ER chargepipe, Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV, ATM IC, Wagner downp*pes, MPerformance exhaust, oil cooler, trebila flash (via MHD Flasher), E60, M Performance 370mm brakes, styling 313 wheels, M Performance suspension, Fuelit Stage2, MFactory LSD, MFactory SMWF
(#4)
Old

Car: BMW E92 M3
Default 07-11-2016, 04:56 AM

Noise from an SMFW is directly proportionate to the weight of the flywheel (the lighter it is, the more you are going to hear the noises/NVH), and both SPEC options are lighter than the MFactory option.

Just an FYI only. Both SPEC and MFactory are good flywheels, and you won't go wrong with either.

MFactory / YCW Engineering (LSD's, Gears, Flywheels, Clutches, Driveshafts, Axles) - www.teammfactory.com
YCW Suspension (Mid-Range Coilovers) - www.ycwsuspension.com
SWIFT Springs Europe (Exclusive Distributor) - www.swiftspringseurope.com
SWIFT Springs Asia (Exclusive Distributor) - www.swiftspringsasia.com
(#5)
Old

Car: 2010 135i 6MT
Default 07-11-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksebik
I have MFactory too and must say that as a DD all the noises are annoying. On all gears it is noisy from 2000 to 2800rpm and on 5th it is nearly unbearable from 3000 to 3400. As these are ranges you normally drive when not "racing".. I find it annoying.

There are two groups of people with SMFW. One that is OK and second.. that has severe problems with noise and vibrations..
I think this is just something wrong w/ yours and mine unfortunately. I have now swapped trans bushings, rear diff bushings, inspected guibo and csb, and changed trans fluid and it remains. I am going to work w/ MFactory on swapping my flywheel. I am just waiting til I have to swap my clutch disc as well (soon) so I don't have to take things apart twice.

Enjoying the new tables discovered and the XDF progress made? if you'd like. Every bit is appreciated!
(#6)
Old

Car: BMW 335I / VW 2.0T
Default 07-11-2016, 09:45 AM

I have come to conclusion that any SMFW will rattle will OEM style clutch because the disc is not spring loaded. In EU we have German and Swedish made SMFW that do not require spring loaded disc to be rattle free but they are not much lighter than the OEM DMFW either, like 3kg or little over 6lbs. Only benefit is cost > cheaper to buy initially and could be easily resurfaced later on if needed.
(#7)
Old

Default 07-11-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwetish
I have come to conclusion that any SMFW will rattle will OEM style clutch because the disc is not spring loaded. In EU we have German and Swedish made SMFW that do not require spring loaded disc to be rattle free but they are not much lighter than the OEM DMFW either, like 3kg or little over 6lbs. Only benefit is cost > cheaper to buy initially and could be easily resurfaced later on if needed.
Do you have a link?
At higher power levels 550whp and up, SMFW works better than DMFW.
(#8)
Old

Default 07-11-2016, 12:32 PM

Rattle is not caused by the clutch; it is simply noise from the transmission being transmitted through the drivetrain

MFactory / YCW Engineering (LSD's, Gears, Flywheels, Clutches, Driveshafts, Axles) - www.teammfactory.com
(#9)
Old

Default 07-11-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk
Do you have a link?
At higher power levels 550whp and up, SMFW works better than DMFW.
We have a lot better variety in EU
http://www.tuningwerk.de/tuningwerk/...uf5ME3kGs83Ee0
http://www.race-clutch.com/3552/486/...i-8-0kg-detail
http://www.zweimassenschwungrad.com/...l-5,7kg-detail
http://www.zweimassenschwungrad.com/...l-8-0kg-detail
http://www.zweimassenschwungrad.com/...o-stahl-detail
(#10)
Old

Default 07-11-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFactory
Rattle is not caused by the clutch; it is simply noise from the transmission being transmitted through the drivetrain
Yes, I'm not saying is from the clutch, is from the transmission and the internal condition of it, but if the disc is spring loaded vs not the noise would be muffled. It is a constatation based of my observance.
(#11)
Old

Default 07-11-2016, 06:10 PM

It shouldn't matter whether the hub is sprung or non-sprung, as that only comes into the equation when you actually use the clutch, which has nothing to do with the drivetrain rattle.

From what I've gathered from your previous post, the main reason why you are hearing "less" rattle is due to the heavier weight of the flywheel (see my post above yours)

(#12)
Old

Default 07-11-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFactory
It shouldn't matter whether the hub is sprung or non-sprung, as that only comes into the equation when you actually use the clutch, which has nothing to do with the drivetrain rattle.

From what I've gathered from your previous post, the main reason why you are hearing "less" rattle is due to the heavier weight of the flywheel (see my post above yours)
Is the combination of the two, weight and disc design. Users with spring loaded disc are reporting issues with noise far less.
(#13)
Old

Car: BMW 135i
Default 07-11-2016, 07:59 PM

thank you guys...
(#14)
Old

Default 07-12-2016, 05:18 AM

But the "flywheel noise" has nothing to do with the clutch, and a hub (whether sprung or non-sprung) is part of the clutch and only comes into effect when the clutch is used. A sprung hub will dampen some NVH during clutch engagement/disengagement, but this is not the same as transmission rattle, which is what the OP is asking about.

(#15)
Old

Car: 2009 135i
Default 07-12-2016, 07:17 AM

I have a spec 3+ and spec steel flywheel. It's been an absolute pleasure to drive with these installed. Yes people sometimes ask what that noise is, but I don't care. There is some high load/low rpm chatter but again, I don't care. Performace parts make your car loud, that's just what happens. If you don't like extra noise, keep your car stock.
(#16)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 07-12-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyamona
I think this is just something wrong w/ yours and mine unfortunately. I have now swapped trans bushings, rear diff bushings, inspected guibo and csb, and changed trans fluid and it remains. I am going to work w/ MFactory on swapping my flywheel. I am just waiting til I have to swap my clutch disc as well (soon) so I don't have to take things apart twice.
Sorry to hear your measures did not lead to improvement..
Good news you began to work with MFactory on it. Please keep me informed when you change the smfw, it would such a relief if the drone went away...

I too had a theory about sprung hub etc. but there are many people with 550i clutch and smfw without issues...

E92 335i N54, Hexon RR500, JB4, DCI, MMP inlets, ER chargepipe, Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV, ATM IC, Wagner downp*pes, MPerformance exhaust, oil cooler, trebila flash (via MHD Flasher), E60, M Performance 370mm brakes, styling 313 wheels, M Performance suspension, Fuelit Stage2, MFactory LSD, MFactory SMWF