JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#4951)
Old
N00b

Car: 2017 Q60 3.0T
Default 12-17-2019, 02:43 PM

Just got my bottle of Boostane Professional. Added 3.5ounces to around 5gal of 91 to test. Should be around 97 octane going by their mixing chart. Did a map 6 run without fuel wires enabled from 2nd to 3rd gear. How does this look? Safe to go up to +8?
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-12-17 13_31_55_Map-6.csv (11.0 KB, 216 views)

2017 Q60 3.0TT

Megan Lower down pipe
Custom 2.5" Magnaflow Exhaust
AMS Intakes
FrozenBoost 101
HKS BOVs
Crappy tires
(#4952)
Old

Car: q50
Default 12-18-2019, 05:48 AM

I think you need some fuel wires if youre going to run boostane. Your AFR goes FAT once you get out of lean spool mode. Otherwise looks ok.

Q50 Premium RWD
BMS JB4 w/ FW, WMI, EWG
C@less D 0wn P 1pipes, Y pipe, Mid pipe
BMS HE
Low cost LSD
Z1 billet subframe bushing collars
(#4953)
Old
N00b

Default 12-18-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnspider
I think you need some fuel wires if youre going to run boostane. Your AFR goes FAT once you get out of lean spool mode. Otherwise looks ok.
I mean I have the fuel wires installed, just disabled.

2017 Q60 3.0TT

Megan Lower down pipe
AMS Intakes
FrozenBoost 101
HKS BOVs
Crappy tires
(#4954)
Old

Car: q50
Default 12-18-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.moosh
I mean I have the fuel wires installed, just disabled.
I'd turn them on and log again.

Q50 Premium RWD
BMS JB4 w/ FW, WMI, EWG
C@less D 0wn P 1pipes, Y pipe, Mid pipe
BMS HE
Low cost LSD
Z1 billet subframe bushing collars
(#4955)
Old
N00b

Default 12-18-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnspider
I'd turn them on and log again.
Gotcha will do! Thanksss

2017 Q60 3.0TT

Megan Lower down pipe
AMS Intakes
FrozenBoost 101
HKS BOVs
Crappy tires
(#4956)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-18-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.moosh
Just got my bottle of Boostane Professional. Added 3.5ounces to around 5gal of 91 to test. Should be around 97 octane going by their mixing chart. Did a map 6 run without fuel wires enabled from 2nd to 3rd gear. How does this look? Safe to go up to +8?
Log looks generally OK to me. Usually around +7psi is as much as you can go before you stop adding boost and start adding timing.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4957)
Old
N00b

Default 12-18-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Log looks generally OK to me. Usually around +7psi is as much as you can go before you stop adding boost and start adding timing.
Gotcha. +7psi capped it is. Thanks Terry! I'll repost with fuel wires enabled.

2017 Q60 3.0TT

Megan Lower down pipe
AMS Intakes
FrozenBoost 101
HKS BOVs
Crappy tires
(#4958)
Old
N00b

Default 12-18-2019, 10:26 PM

Ok so how does this Map6 look? 91 octane and Boostane Based one what I've been learning about reading logs, this seems relatively clean. This boostane is pretty incredible. Mixed literally 3oz with 10gal of ****ty 91 and it worked wonders. Anyone know if it's okay to run this regularly or is it better to cycle it with just regular gas?

Thank you in advance!
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-12-18 21_22_01_Map-6.csv (6.2 KB, 192 views)

2017 Q60 3.0TT

Megan Lower down pipe
AMS Intakes
FrozenBoost 101
HKS BOVs
Crappy tires
(#4959)
Old

Car: 2019 Q50 Luxe
Default 12-19-2019, 06:59 AM

I used one can of Boostane and I don't plan to run it anymore.

From another forum I am on:

Quote:
Do a search on Boostane. Wide variety of issues on different platforms reported like fouled plugs and bad cats using Boostane. I'm ******* but still going to pass on that.
Quote:
Boostane is essentially MMT, which will foul your plugs, valves and cats. Your warranty coverage may be affected if the damage can be attributed to MMT.
Quote:
The Society of Automobile Engineers has publish over 30 papers on the effects of MMT on vehicles. Their latest $8 million study on the effects of MMT was conducted jointly with the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, the Association of International Automobile Manufacturers and the Canadian Vehicle Manufacturers' Association.

That study showed that MMT increased tailpipe emissions, spark plug fouling, catalyst damage and impairment of On Board Diagnostic systems. The testing was done on 56 different vehicles from 6 different manufacturers that drove over 3.6 million miles over a 6 year period.

MMT is a complex organomanganese compound that is volatilized and burned in the engine. I don't care how they say they suspend it, the MMT combustion products are manganese sulfate, manganese phosphate and manganese tetraoxide. It's these combustion products that deposit on plugs, sensors, and catalysts.

Why do you think Boostane states that their product is not street legal? It's designed for track and racing cars that have no cats and they are maintaining their engines more rigorously than the typical consumer's car. Legally, MMT can be used in gasoline in the US up to a concentration of 1/32 of a gram per gallon. However, the oil companies stopped adding MMT to US gas as a result of pressure from automobile manufacturers and the scientific community. Adding Boostane (and other MMT products) will likely raise the concentration of MMT above the allowed limit so that's why companies who make MMT octane boosters state that it is for off-road use only.

2019 Q50 Luxe RWD *JB4 with Bluetooth, Fuel Wires & EWG Connectors*BMS Intakes*AMS Downers*Frozen Boost 101*Megan Y Pipe*ADD W1 Oil Catch Can*HKS BOVs*275/40/19 Firehawk Indy 500s*
423 whp, 450 tq at 16.8psi with E30/JB4/FW/Intakes
12.64 @114mph
0-60 4.46
(#4960)
Old
N00b

Default 12-19-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serstylz2

Oh wow didn't know all that. In that case definitely not a daily thing. If anything a track day/kill map thing. Cool thanks!

2017 Q60 3.0TT

Megan Lower down pipe
AMS Intakes
FrozenBoost 101
HKS BOVs
Crappy tires
(#4961)
Old

Car: 2016 q50 premium
Default dyno day - 12-22-2019, 09:11 PM

hello, I was looking for some help with logs. I have been having a "cutting" issue. it seems to only happen in 1st and 2nd gear I thought I might be spinning and TC is cutting in, but on the dyno it happened too. the cut issue can be seen in run#2 map5. as he starts a pull the car builds a ton of boost almost instantly and falls on its face, after a second or 2 he was able to make a full pull. included are logs from (run 1 map 0 / run 2 map 5 / run 3 map 6). also take a look at map 6 and notice how my IGN drops for 4deg. it does come up as boost tappers off. my max is 7.5psi on map 6. any input is appreciated!

note she made 409hp and 420ftlbs on map 6 stock w/ axleback
12-6 dyno1Map-0.csv

12-6 dyno2Map-5.csv

12-6 dnyo3Map-6.csv
(#4962)
Old

Car: Q50 3.0
Default 12-23-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liveseyd238
hello, I was looking for some help with logs. I have been having a "cutting" issue. it seems to only happen in 1st and 2nd gear I thought I might be spinning and TC is cutting in, but on the dyno it happened too. the cut issue can be seen in run#2 map5. as he starts a pull the car builds a ton of boost almost instantly and falls on its face, after a second or 2 he was able to make a full pull. included are logs from (run 1 map 0 / run 2 map 5 / run 3 map 6). also take a look at map 6 and notice how my IGN drops for 4deg. it does come up as boost tappers off. my max is 7.5psi on map 6. any input is appreciated!

Attachment 91981

Attachment 91982

Attachment 91983
That sounds EXACTLY like mine. I see it more when I am aggressively accelerating BUT not mashing the pedal 100%... but also when I do mash the pedal without ramping the boost up gradually enough IMHO. When I was using the canned maps it was driving me nuts. It seems easier to get rid of it or minimalize it using MAP6. I am ramping up to around +6 PSI right now. I do run E30 sometimes. Right now I am running a tank of 91 and I have a gallon of Lucas additive to run 8 ounces in a tank once in a while. I think I had the cut just the other day. It is not TCS as far as I can tell. It happens with TCS off.
(#4963)
Old

Car: 2017 Q50 3.0T Premium RWD
Default 12-23-2019, 01:02 PM

Quick question/test: Have either of you tried the following feature of the v7 firmware to see if this helps alleviate the symptoms you are describing?

...linear pedal mapping option under FutureUseD Bit7. Turn on to smooth out boost targeting as a function of gas pedal input.

2017 Q50 Premium RWD
  • BMS JB4 w/ Fuel Wires
  • BMS WMI w/ DO7s
  • Pure Stage 2 Turbos
  • Z1 PU Motor Mounts
  • AMS HX w/ Aux Tank & IC Pump
  • AMS HPFP (RA338) & LPFP
  • AMS Flex Fuel Kit v2
  • AMS Catted FDP
  • AMS CAI
  • Fast Intentions Res. Touring 2.5 CBE
  • Mishimoto Oil Catch Can
  • EcuTek Dyno Tune (Hussain @ Racebox)
(#4964)
Old

Car: Q50 3.0
Default 12-23-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobohm
Quick question/test: Have either of you tried the following feature of the v7 firmware to see if this helps alleviate the symptoms you are describing?

...linear pedal mapping option under FutureUseD Bit7. Turn on to smooth out boost targeting as a function of gas pedal input.
I will try that today! Thanks.

If someone sees something in the logs, please let me know. I have not had the JB4 installed very long, and the only experience I have had is with an Accessport and Cobb ATR software.

I did try that and the first run it showed the issue again... power cut right after I mash the throttle 100%... maybe 1 second after. I thought I saw a gap between PEDAL and THROTTLE as a hole in the throttle in some previous logs where I caught it, but I logged this one and I can't find the same gap.

Car is a 2018 Silver Sport, AWD, stock, 91 in it right now. Definitely have had the issue with E30 as well. Power cut is right after I take off (no brake boost) from a stop car jerks quite a bit then starts accelerating again - only does it once. Doesn't always do it.

I had the issue one more time to day from a roll and mashed pedal, problem right after - didn't log.

Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-12-23 13_11_04_Map-6 bit 7 on problem.csv (7.5 KB, 177 views)
File Type: csv 2019-12-21 18_50_04_Map-6.csv (7.1 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by crufflers; 12-23-2019 at 06:09 PM..
(#4965)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-23-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liveseyd238

It's throttle closure from boost being over target at the shift. The heavy boost taper to redline is probably party to cause. Try a map6 with say 4psi to redline as a quick test to see if it's related.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4966)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-23-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serstylz2

MMT cuts your plug life in half and turns things orange. But it works at boosting octane. E85 is a better option if you have easy access. Otherwise, the MMT boosters work well with minimal side effects. I run them all the time on our cars to mitigate the crappy 91 octane around here.

Burger Motorsports

(#4967)
Old

Car: 2016 q50 premium
Default 12-27-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
It's throttle closure from boost being over target at the shift. The heavy boost taper to redline is probably party to cause. Try a map6 with say 4psi to redline as a quick test to see if it's related.
I saw that too, I thought it was normal because at the exact same time the ign cuts too. thought it might be to avoid the torque hitting the trans so hard.
will try the 4psi when I get the car back!
(#4968)
Old

Car: 2016 Q50 Red Sport
Default 12-28-2019, 07:48 PM

Is there an install video for the BMS HX on a Red Sport? The RS has the oil cooler and it would be good to see how it fits with the new brackets. Mine is arriving next weekend and all I can find are non Red Sport videos. The RS is a bit more complicated.

2016 Q50 Red Sport
Ecutek tuned
Infiniti Sport Mufflers
(#4969)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-29-2019, 10:04 AM

We just have the one video but the OC part is pretty straight forward.

Burger Motorsports

(#4970)
Old

Car: 2016 Q50 Red Sport
Default 12-30-2019, 06:35 PM

Can I use the oem HX with the BMS or will the oil cooler block the air flow since it will be relocated? I'd line to use the oem in series with the BMS.

2016 Q50 Red Sport
Ecutek tuned
Infiniti Sport Mufflers
(#4971)
Old

Car: 2016 RS400 RWD
Default 12-31-2019, 06:33 PM

On a 2016 RS400 RWD w/ Stillen CBE and AMS intakes, 93 octane, what would be an ideal Map 6 (in Texas so it'll be fairly cool for a few more months)? Ideally 4-5 psi over stock, just not sure about the different settings. I've never made any adjustments to any of those fields, thanks!!! And what kind of RWHP/torque should I expect?
(#4972)
Old

Car: 2017 Q50 3.0T Premium RWD
Default 12-31-2019, 06:47 PM

RS - recommend starting with Map1 - get some logs posted here for review before moving to more aggressive maps / custom Map6. For reference, my SS on E30’ish fuel and stock fuel system and exhaust (also in NTX) put down 423whp / 454 wtq.

2017 Q50 Premium RWD
  • BMS JB4 w/ Fuel Wires
  • BMS WMI w/ DO7s
  • Pure Stage 2 Turbos
  • Z1 PU Motor Mounts
  • AMS HX w/ Aux Tank & IC Pump
  • AMS HPFP (RA338) & LPFP
  • AMS Flex Fuel Kit v2
  • AMS Catted FDP
  • AMS CAI
  • Fast Intentions Res. Touring 2.5 CBE
  • Mishimoto Oil Catch Can
  • EcuTek Dyno Tune (Hussain @ Racebox)
(#4973)
Old
N00b

Default 12-31-2019, 10:47 PM

Anyone else unable to launch without spinning through 3rd gear? Running Pilot Super Sport 265/40/19 in the rear with basic FBO and map 6 with +7 max psi. I lose traction when shifting into 2nd and it literally just spins like crazy.

2017 Q60 3.0TT

Megan Lower down pipe
AMS Intakes
FrozenBoost 101
HKS BOVs
Crappy tires
(#4974)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-01-2020, 09:51 AM

Time for drag radials! Or to limit boost in lower gears.

Burger Motorsports

(#4975)
Old
N00b

Default 01-01-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Time for drag radials! Or to limit boost in lower gears.
Ahhhh no drag radials! Maybe for the strip though haha. I guess I either gotta limit the boost or feather the throttle more

2017 Q60 3.0TT

Megan Lower down pipe
AMS Intakes
FrozenBoost 101
HKS BOVs
Crappy tires