JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default New Fuel-It! FI-650HP LPFP and FI-650HP Port Injection Kits - 04-23-2018, 08:44 PM

Hey everyone!

We'll be using this thread as our support thread for the new FI-650HP kits and posting install guides, pictures, updates, answering questions, etc. Initially I'll leave the introduction in the first post but then move it down to the second post once everyone gets more familiar with the new offerings. Feel free to post questions in this thread as it will serve as our customer support thread and discuss the products but do not request support for other products or those posts will be deleted.

Now on to the good stuff...

Over the last few years we've been adapting our products to changes that take place in the market, our own experiences, and the trends we see with regards to performance, tuning, reliability, innovations, customer needs, etc.

A lot has changed in those last few years! For example, remember the days when 400whp was a big deal? 600whp is now common place and the N54, the N55 platform is getting there and both are more affordable than ever as they continue to age and rack up the miles.

Based on those trends, observations, and customer inquiries, we have developed a new product line to support the increased power levels and address some of the weaknesses that have surfaced as time went on.

Our first offering in the new line of products is FI-650HP series. As you may have already guessed, FI-650HP stands for Fuel-It! 650 HorsePower. That is the power level these kits are designed to support and to do so they make the most out of the stock components, minimize customization, and in general keep things as stock as possible since stock is typically the most reliable.

In this FI-650HP line we currently offer two products with minimal options to reduce confusion, keep prices down, and still supply you the modifications you need to achieve your goals. All of them are E85, race gas, and pump gas compatible.

First is the FI-650HP and FI-650HP-F LPFP upgrades for the E-Series N55 and F-Series N55 cars.

Name:  complete kit front_top view edited with BG reduced.jpg
Views: 1602
Size:  85.6 KB Name:  FI-650hp-f reduced.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  87.8 KB

For those that are interested, here is a little history on the development of those kits.
This concept is not new to us and we started implementing it on the S55 platform a couple years ago. In that application we retain the stock LPFP and add additional capacity to the fuel system by adding a second pump assembly that is secured by the stock bucket assembly with no modifications made to the stock pump, venturi, or wiring harness. We chose to go that route for a couple reasons but first and foremost was reliability. By not interfering with the stock harness or upgrading the stock pump we didn't have to address EKP issues or worry about the long term affects on the stock systems. Second, it was easily reversible but provided us with the additional capacity we needed for the cars that ultimately ended up making 700whp (now common), then 800whp, and ultimately IIRC 900whp (with nos).

For the F-series N55 platform as those started to age we started seeing issues with the EKP's failing prematurely, likely due to the extra current draw of the upgraded pumps, EKP's overheating due to reduced capacity and overheating. To address this we used the same technique we did for the S55, we utilized the stock pump for everyday use and added the secondary pump to support the additional fueling needs under boost. This was a win/win and has served us well. No more EKP issues, no error messages, and we utilized the flows the stock pump had to offer instead of just 86ing the pump.

Another benefit to this was that the DME on both the N54 and especially the N55 are sensitive to the additional demands the upgraded pumps place on the EKP and will alert the driver via an i-drive message that continued driving was possible but to consult your dealer. In most cases this is just a warning and can be ignored or alternatively the EKP can be re-coded to raise the current limit to eliminate those errors. However, this new design eliminated the issue and we no longer have to tolerate the message, exclamation point or have to code the EKP.

Naturally the progression once we started seeing more EKP's fail was to begin implementing this on other platforms and the FI-650HP concept was conceived. For the N54 platform we will also be releasing the FI-1000HP but that is a few weeks out as are other options for this modular kit.

Another benefit of this kit on the N54 platform, other than actually putting the additional pump assembly in the tank and installing the plug and play wiring harness, there is no DIY aspect to it. The stock bucket remains untouched, no tearing it down, no sending it in for upgrade, no core deposits, etc. In addition, pricing is very similar to that of the Stage 2 pumps (they start at $399.95) but for that instead of getting 1.1-1.2GPM of flow, you get approximately 1.8GPM of flow to support 650whp provided your stock pump is in good condition. If you are currently running our Stage 2 LPFP and want to upgrade to stage 3, you can still add this upgrade option for approximately 2.2 gallons of flow per minute.

Name:  pump front_top view edited with fuel line and bg reduced.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  83.8 KB Name:  Complete in tank reduced.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  202.1 KB

Second in the line up are the FI-650HP Port Injection Kits for the N54 and N55 cars.

These kits are configured to support up to 650whp and come with the necessary haredware to do so. To simplify the ordering process and confusion, we have limited the additional options to adding a Bluetooth Ethanol Sensor, your choice of port injection controllers, and optional return kit.

All port injection kits include:

*Fuel-It! silver anodized custom spacer for the intake manifold with angled injectors to eliminate the cylinder 1 offset and improve atomization and distribution
*Fuel-It! silver anodized custom fuel rail with integrated brackets
*Machined o-ring grooves to original factory intake manifold specs
*6 flow matched Bosch 550cc injectors
*6an fuel supply port
*6an fuel return port plug
*1/8" NPT boost reference port (cyl 6)
*Six OEM manifold gaskets
*Seven extended length zinc coated bolts
*Seven zinc coated washers
*Two nylon rail and manifold alignment pins

The silver anodizing on these kits makes them compatible with all fuels and includes the complete upgraded fuel lines that will replace all the stock lines with 3/8" E85 compatible lines. In addition the kits include all of our latest anodized custom billet fittings including our exclusive Cam-Lock style fittings for the HPFP connection and ethanol sensor should you decide to include it. These new designs not only eliminates any plastic clips in those fittings but also makes it much easier to verify that the fitting is installed properly and locked in place. Our anodized custom Y fittings also eliminate all the threaded fittings and possible leak points associated with off the shelf fittings that can require up to four fittings to do what we do with one.

Link to the E-series kits can be found by clicking here and the Link to the F-series kits can be found here

Name:  complete PI and LPFP kit with BG reduced.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  94.0 KB Name:  complete PI and LPFP kit for F-Series with BG reduced.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  91.8 KB

Pumps and port injection kits can be purchased separately so that you can upgrade as need, time, and funds allow.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#2)
Old
Demigod

Car: Bmw M2
Default 04-24-2018, 09:09 AM

Hey Steve, is a FPR required with this kit? Just worried that when the Hobbs switch triggers the second pump it'll build up too much pressure in the fuel loop.

2017 BMW M2 - Alpine White, 6MT, Fully Loaded
Mods: Stock for now
(#3)
Old

Car: 2011 335i Convertible
Default 04-24-2018, 10:23 AM

Hi Steve,
I'm currently running the Stage 2 LPFP and I get the EKP messages. I've met my goals with the car but I would like to get rid of the EKP messages. Do you sell a whole package with the stock pump? I don't have my stock pump anymore because I traded it back in when I upgraded to the Stage 2 pump.

It sounds like this setup with a stock pump would give about the same flow as the stage 2 pump but without the EKP messages?

2011 335i - JB4 ISO | MHD E85 PI BEF | Exhaust Mods | CP | 5" stepped FMIC | BMS Meth Injection | BMS Intake | Pure Stage 2 | Pure Inlet | FF wires | Fuel It Stage 2 | DV+ | N20 TMAP | Ethanol mix
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-24-2018, 10:24 AM

For the F-Series, no the stock FPR is retained with the FI-650-F LPFP upgrades.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-24-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tho
Hi Steve,
I'm currently running the Stage 2 LPFP and I get the EKP messages. I've met my goals with the car but I would like to get rid of the EKP messages. Do you sell a whole package with the stock pump? I don't have my stock pump anymore because I traded it back in when I upgraded to the Stage 2 pump.

It sounds like this setup with a stock pump would give about the same flow as the stage 2 pump but without the EKP messages?
Yes, for the E-series you can add a new stock pump to your order and receive the complete kit.

This setup will flow about .6GPM more than your current stage 2 setup and you are correct, no EKP messages.

Here's an example of how you'd place the order.

That includes:
-New stock primary pump
-Walbro 450 secondary pump
-Wiring harness
-Hobb's switch (If you're already running a Hobb's switch for your TBI, you can use that to trigger the secondary as well.)

Name:  order example.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  78.4 KB

(#6)
Old
Demigod

Default 04-24-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
For the F-Series, no the stock FPR is retained with the FI-650-F LPFP upgrades.
Hey Steve,
Could I just run your optional fpr and return anyways for the sake of prevent fuel "surge" or back pressure when the injectors close when I go off throttle?

(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-25-2018, 09:56 AM

You could but it would require a different LPFP setup or modifications to your current one. It's only an option we offer with our Stage 4 kits on the F-Series.

(#8)
Old
Demigod

Default 04-25-2018, 10:12 AM

I see, what's up with the warning on the pumps saying it cannot be run full time? Does that mean us track guys can't use it? Because most of the time when I'm on the track my PI would be running and the lpfp would be on as well. If it helps the warning also recommended a Hobbs switch, so I'm not sure if it's related to when PI is off, or if the pump is only supposed to be on for short durations (i.e. not good for track use).

(#9)
Old

Car: 2011 335i Convertible
Default 04-25-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Yes, for the E-series you can add a new stock pump to your order and receive the complete kit.

This setup will flow about .6GPM more than your current stage 2 setup and you are correct, no EKP messages.
Steve, thanks for the response.

How does the stock pump handle running ethanol? Does it become an issue with this setup if I'm running E40-E50? My layman understanding is that because E85 has less energy(?) than regular gas, more of it has to be pumped. The main reason why I upgraded to the stage 2 pump was to be able to run higher concentrations of ethanol. Is this not an issue at lower boost where only the stock pump is being utilized?

2011 335i - JB4 ISO | MHD E85 PI BEF | Exhaust Mods | CP | 5" stepped FMIC | BMS Meth Injection | BMS Intake | Pure Stage 2 | Pure Inlet | FF wires | Fuel It Stage 2 | DV+ | N20 TMAP | Ethanol mix
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-26-2018, 06:36 AM

Correct...with ethanol you need more volume. We have a 4psi and 15psi hobb's switch available. For most the 15psi will be sufficient but for those that may exceed the stock pumps capacity due to the torque they are making and not running the BMS port injection controller, we'd recommend the 4psi hobb's switch for the secondary. If using the BMS controller to trigger the secondary, it's a mute point as it will kick on the secondary when the injectors begin firing.

(#11)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 08-02-2018, 11:47 AM

Quick question on this. I upgraded to a stage 1 a couple of years ago. Can I still add this kit ?
(#12)
Old

Car: 2013 335i xDrive Coupe
Default 08-03-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaN54
Quick question on this. I upgraded to a stage 1 a couple of years ago. Can I still add this kit ?
I think it would be advisable to remove the stage 1, as it would only hinder the flow from two more powerful pumps in parallel.

I have a question of my own since I put a 650hp in the tank and plan to wire the relay in tomorrow: What's a good way to verify everything's working properly from a log, is it that Trims should drop when it kicks in? Using JB4 as external trigger, thought I'd use 3500rpm and 50% pedal.

Two questions I guess, what if any of the other settings on the WMI tab (not under ET) affect a port injection system? Min flow boost for example, does that apply or not?