JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: BMW
Default Crying over this oil leak - 09-03-2017, 01:17 PM

Hi guys how's it going? This is my second n54 bmw and this one is leaking way worse then my first 335i. I have a 2010 535i thats leaking oil. Its pretty bad; a massive puddle of oil on the ground . Anyone know where it's leaking from?Also it syas oil lvl at min add oil now. What oil should i put? i'm getting a oil change but thats afterwards i need to add oil to get the car to the shop.
Video: https://youtu.be/7s55eSMCDas

Last edited by Wuz; 09-03-2017 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: extra info
(#2)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i
Default 09-03-2017, 02:47 PM

That looks pretty bad, could be valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, or oil cooler housing gasket.
For the prices, I would just do all 3 if I was you and if they've never been done before.

Also you should be really careful with that leak because if oil contaminates your serpentine belt it can cause it to fail and get wrapped around your crank pulley, it gets shredded and pulled into your engine through the front crank seal, it can ruin your entire engine because the shreds get jammed in your timing chain and cause the timing to be thrown off... Pistons can hit valves.
(#3)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 09-03-2017, 05:16 PM

OFHG as mentioned would be my first guess. Also check the two VANOS solenoids. The wind coming in the front can blow it all over. Would need to remove the engine cover to check head/cover.
(#4)
Old

Default 09-04-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opo
That looks pretty bad, could be valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, or oil cooler housing gasket.
For the prices, I would just do all 3 if I was you and if they've never been done before.

Also you should be really careful with that leak because if oil contaminates your serpentine belt it can cause it to fail and get wrapped around your crank pulley, it gets shredded and pulled into your engine through the front crank seal, it can ruin your entire engine because the shreds get jammed in your timing chain and cause the timing to be thrown off... Pistons can hit valves.

Thanks for the reply. I took it to a shop and they suspect it to be the oil filter housing.
(#5)
Old

Default 09-04-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB
OFHG as mentioned would be my first guess. Also check the two VANOS solenoids. The wind coming in the front can blow it all over. Would need to remove the engine cover to check head/cover.
yep, thats what the shop said, but they'll still check the rest.
(#6)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 09-06-2017, 02:02 PM

it's amazing how big of a mess the OFHG can make.

2017 AMG C63 - JB4 - 11.69 @ 127 (dragy)
2009 BMW 535i - 548 whp - sold
(#7)
Old

Default 09-06-2017, 07:54 PM

[QUOTE=LessIsMore;557467]it's amazing how big of a mess the OFHG can make.[/QUOTE
oh yeah, the person fixing up my car said someone tried using silicone paste to make a gasket and runined it.