JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default n55 fueling issue? Any help will be greatly appcreciated! - 05-24-2016, 05:47 PM

Please be patient with me, I'm still learning and I've reached the point where I need some second opinions.
Car info:
2011 e90 n55
91 oct, no e85
NO flex fuel wires yet
Jb4 g5
Vrsf dp
Er chargepipe
Bms intake
*update Bms flex fuel wires now installed
Car was previously flashed with ppk.

So the issue is when I run the car in map5. When I go to do a third gear pull, it simply does not like to have wot/heavy throttle at lower rpms. Basically I have to ease into the throttle until about 3-3.5k rpms, then I can start to plant my foot down. If I give it to much throttle (say around 2-2.5k rpms) the car starts to cut out and wants to die on me. It almost feels like fouling a plug on a dirtbike, the same sensation of the motor cutting out but, with lots of backfires. It basically feels like the fuel is cutting in and out.

Today I also mimicked the same issue but in map1 second gear. I was in low rpms around 2k and when I started increasing the load I could hear it start to cut out and backfire.

I have been receiving two codes and multiple limp modes.
2C01- low fuel pressure(I believe)
2BE9- low hpfp pressure (I believe)

Ill attach my logs. Laugh if you want... lol it was my first time.

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to read all this crap.
Attached Images

Last edited by I<3Boost; 07-25-2016 at 04:57 PM..
(#2)
Old

Default 05-24-2016, 05:53 PM

The car will sometimes give me a longer than normal crank on cold starts but, not all the time. Occasionally I will get a weird idle for 30 seconds or so and then back to normal. I replaced the plugs last week for the hell of it, when I first was aware of the issue. Also note that on the very last log that I posted above, that was with me easing into the gas pedal and I did not not receive any codes or limp mode.
(#3)
Old

Car: f30 335i
Default 05-24-2016, 06:16 PM

Hi there, you will have to attached the csv files

F30 335i | BMS JB4 | ER ***** DP | Akrapovič Exhaust | ER FMIC | BMS Intake | ER CP |Platinum Fuel-it TBI-Kit (triggered via FSB) with inline ethanol sensor | Fuel-IT LPFP Stage 3 | Pure stage2 Turbo| Pure Turbos Intlet | GFB DV+ | RennZport boost pipe | RennZport Thermostat | Bootmod3 BEF | N20 gapped plugs |

N54 135i | FBO with JB4 and MHD BEF|
(#4)
Old

Default 05-24-2016, 06:20 PM

Hey lol thanks! I wasn't aware I could attach the actual file. I'll post them right now. Please keep in mind that the last log posted, titled "log5 map5" was with me easing into the throttle.
Attached Files
File Type: csv Log 1 Map5 misfire.csv (10.8 KB, 290 views)
File Type: csv Log 2 Map5 couple runs then more mis.csv (29.8 KB, 288 views)
File Type: csv Log4 map5 popped code 2BE9.csv (1.8 KB, 304 views)
File Type: csv Log5 Map5 Good runs no issues.csv (12.6 KB, 324 views)

e90 n55
Jb4 iso
Vrsf dp
Er cp
Bms intake
(#5)
Old

Car: f30 335i
Default 05-24-2016, 06:44 PM

Trims are almost maxed out, looks like you are running lean. I would increase the FOL and experiment with it. fph also a bit low experiment with the FOL and see how it goes.

F30 335i | BMS JB4 | ER ***** DP | Akrapovič Exhaust | ER FMIC | BMS Intake | ER CP |Platinum Fuel-it TBI-Kit (triggered via FSB) with inline ethanol sensor | Fuel-IT LPFP Stage 3 | Pure stage2 Turbo| Pure Turbos Intlet | GFB DV+ | RennZport boost pipe | RennZport Thermostat | Bootmod3 BEF | N20 gapped plugs |

N54 135i | FBO with JB4 and MHD BEF|
(#6)
Old

Default 05-24-2016, 06:51 PM

Thank man, I really appreciate you taking a look. I'll ajdust the settings tomorrow and update the thread with the results.

e90 n55
Jb4 iso
Vrsf dp
Er cp
Bms intake
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 05-25-2016, 06:50 AM

3rd gear boost limit is set to 1, change that to 0.

In addition, you don't have the FF wires installed so we can't see what is going on with the fuel system nor can we adjust it. I'd recommend getting those installed.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#8)
Old

Default 05-25-2016, 11:27 AM

Hi steve, thank you very much for replying in a timely manner. I have ordered the flex fuel wires(just waiting on them) and I will change the 3rd gear boost limit like you said. Thanks!

e90 n55
Jb4 iso
Vrsf dp
Er cp
Bms intake
(#9)
Old

Default 05-25-2016, 02:29 PM

I changed the 3rd gear boost setting from 1 to 0 like you suggested Steve. Results were interesting. I took a couple logs. This first log, in run number 1 the car ran all the way through the gear no problems. Run number 2 and 3 I could feel the car start to cut out up top in the higher rpms. Then on the last couple runs in this log, the car started cutting out in the lower rpms (under heavy throttle) around the 2500-3000rpm mark.

e90 n55
Jb4 iso
Vrsf dp
Er cp
Bms intake
(#10)
Old

Default 05-25-2016, 02:36 PM

On this second log, the original problem came back and the car is cutting out around the 2500 rpm mark. I received code 2c01(again) and limp mode. The car literally starts shaking as it dies. It feels like some of the cylinders are shutting down, that is the only way I can think to describe it.

e90 n55
Jb4 iso
Vrsf dp
Er cp
Bms intake

Last edited by I<3Boost; 05-25-2016 at 02:46 PM..
(#11)
Old

Default 05-25-2016, 02:45 PM

This last log that I have is a couple rough runs in the beginning, I let the car sit for a minute and then I had a couple good runs. Then on the very last run I receive limp mode and code 2be9(again). Thanks again, any help or opinions I can get is always appreciated. This car is my pride and joy and it's extremely frustrating having it sometimes work and sometimes not.

e90 n55
Jb4 iso
Vrsf dp
Er cp
Bms intake

Last edited by I<3Boost; 05-25-2016 at 10:20 PM..
(#12)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-26-2016, 06:41 AM

You really need those FF wires installed. On log 7 you went very lean and this was why you started misfiring and car died. Maybe a bad LPFP, HPFP, or

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#13)
Old

Default 05-26-2016, 11:59 AM

Thank you steve. I'm sure you are extremely busy, you taking the time to help me is greatly appreciated! Flex fuel wires are on their way and in the mail. Received shipping confirmation today. I'll update you further when after it arrives.

e90 n55
Jb4 iso
Vrsf dp
Er cp
Bms intake
(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-26-2016, 02:02 PM

(#15)
Old

Default 06-03-2016, 03:58 PM

So today I installed the flex fuel wires. Put half a tank of 91oct and just under 3 gallons of e85 in. The car misfires a lot easier and more frequent but, strangely it isnt around the 2k-3k rpms anymore. Now it misfires from 3k-5k rpms and up. I've noticed that is misfires depending on how much throttle you give it. I can get through a 3rd gear pull if im light on the throttle/boost. If I am heavy on the throttle, it starts breaking up in the higher rpms.

I have two logs to show. This one is very short and only shows my two first attempts to do a 3rd gear pull. The car instantly began to break up and misfire. Figured id post it anyways just for extra info.

Second log is a couple more attempts at 3rd gear pull only to be disappointed with the follwing codes. (still looking these up by the way).

2EFE
2F00
2F01
2F03
2F04
2EE0
2EE2
2EE6
2EE7
2EEC
00F1
277A
29D0
2BE9
2EF4
I'm so in love with this car right now... *sarcasm* lol

e90 n55
Jb4 iso
Vrsf dp
Er cp
Bms intake
(#16)
Old

Car: 2011 335i
Default 06-03-2016, 05:25 PM

I sometimes get that exact same string of codes on my N55. It's a bunch of misfire stuff and complaints about the MAP sensor wiring. It is caused by the JB4 but I don't know why. I have thoroughly inspected the board and all connectors under a microscope and found no issues.

With the JB4 removed it runs perfectly with no codes ever. JB is ISO v8.
(#17)
Old

Car: 135i n54
Default 06-03-2016, 05:31 PM

Your hpfp is dipping low. Plus you've got a code for it. Guessing it's that?
(#18)
Old

Default 06-04-2016, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa
I sometimes get that exact same string of codes on my N55. It's a bunch of misfire stuff and complaints about the MAP sensor wiring. It is caused by the JB4 but I don't know why. I have thoroughly inspected the board and all connectors under a microscope and found no issues.

With the JB4 removed it runs perfectly with no codes ever. JB is ISO v8.

Yeah my car runs fine in map 4 (stock boost). I can also run map1 and 2 but I randomly get misfires in the higher rpms sometimes. I'd like to apologize to Steve and the rest of you guys trying to help. Some of my logs have been kind of short and today I was told by a friend how annoying that can be. I'm still new at this, so your patience is very much appreciated.

Anyways, so I have two good logs that my buddy took for me. I will attach them to this post. I would also like to mention that these two logs are with 2 gallons of e85 and the rest of the tank filled with 91 oct. Basically the only thing I can come up with is that my hpfp is completely maxed out, I have already changed plugs and checked coils. Im curious if running a higher octane will ease the work load of my hpfp or if that will in fact make it work harder? You guys are the best and thanks for taking the time out of your day to help me out!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2016-06-03 22_01_37.csv (8.2 KB, 312 views)
File Type: csv 2016-06-03 22_08_12.csv (5.5 KB, 293 views)

e90 n55
Jb4 iso
Vrsf dp
Er cp
Bms intake
(#19)
Old

Car: 2013 335i XDrive coupe
Default 06-05-2016, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3Boost
Yeah my car runs fine in map 4 (stock boost). I can also run map1 and 2 but I randomly get misfires in the higher rpms sometimes. I'd like to apologize to Steve and the rest of you guys trying to help. Some of my logs have been kind of short and today I was told by a friend how annoying that can be. I'm still new at this, so your patience is very much appreciated.

Anyways, so I have two good logs that my buddy took for me. I will attach them to this post. I would also like to mention that these two logs are with 2 gallons of e85 and the rest of the tank filled with 91 oct. Basically the only thing I can come up with is that my hpfp is completely maxed out, I have already changed plugs and checked coils. Im curious if running a higher octane will ease the work load of my hpfp or if that will in fact make it work harder? You guys are the best and thanks for taking the time out of your day to help me out!
Are you running outdated FW?
I think you are right, your hpfp is not liking the E85, i would get those same codes prior to my LPFP upgrade. When your fp_h gets to 8-9 you'll feel what you are describing. At 7 I believe the JB4 goes into fail safe and you trigger all those codes.
(#20)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-05-2016, 08:03 PM

This is non-ISO N55 firmware.

Ultimately if you are looking to make more power, I'd recommend switching to ISO and updating your firmware. In your one good log the HPFP looked okay.

(#21)
Old

Default 06-06-2016, 02:58 PM

I played with my user settings today (as suggested) but, it didnt help. Car still breaks up and misfires in the higher rpms. I am still recieving the same codes 277A, 29D0, and 2Be9. I know most of you can run map 5 on the stock fuel system, so I am thinking that my hpfp is failing. If it is failing though, shouldn't it be acting up on map 4 also? I am ready to take it into the dealership and let them deal with it. Do you guys recommend that I remove the jb4? All my other stuff will still be on the car.

e90 n55
Jb4 iso
Vrsf dp
Er cp
Bms intake
(#22)
Old

Default 06-06-2016, 06:27 PM

Alright I am with out a doubt certain that my hpfp is toast! Earlier today I found that my sensor going into the intake wasnt fully clipped in. So I fixed that and updated my ISO to the latest version in hopes that my problems would be solved. Took the car out, did three or four runs and was then stopped with the same two codes (2be9, 2c01) that Ive been receiving for a two weeks.This time it was so bad that I almost didn't make it back home from logging. If I give it more than I'd say around 40-50% throttle, the car will shut down into limp mode and barley even go. Tomorrow ill be stripping her down and taking her into the dealership for hpfp replacement. Thank you all for your help and I will update you guys when I get her back, just to confirm that was the issue. Cheers!

P.S. Here is my log from earlier today. The first two or three felt pretty good!
Attached Files
File Type: csv new.csv (16.1 KB, 331 views)

e90 n55
Jb4 iso
Vrsf dp
Er cp
Bms intake
(#23)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-06-2016, 08:58 PM

Did you cut the diode before switching firmware?

HPFP is crashing...could be HPFP or LPFP, hard to tell on the N55 without the LPFP sensor.

Strange thing is that if those are truly your rail pressures, you should have had misfires long before you got to the upper RPM ranges.

(#24)
Old

Default 06-13-2016, 01:16 AM

Hi Steve, sorry for the late reply. I cut the diode and updated to the latest firmware but it didn't help. I put the jb4 in map4 and map0 and still had the same issue. The next day I woke up and the the car really struggled to start and even stalled after it initially fired up. At this point I figured it was time to take the car in and they confirmed it was the hpfp failing. I've had an X1 as a loaner vehicle for the past few days. I will update the thread after I put the jb4 back on and log. Thanks again.

e90 n55
Jb4 iso
Vrsf dp
Er cp
Bms intake
(#25)
Old

Car: 2013 335i XDrive coupe
Default 06-17-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3Boost
Hi Steve, sorry for the late reply. I cut the diode and updated to the latest firmware but it didn't help. I put the jb4 in map4 and map0 and still had the same issue. The next day I woke up and the the car really struggled to start and even stalled after it initially fired up. At this point I figured it was time to take the car in and they confirmed it was the hpfp failing. I've had an X1 as a loaner vehicle for the past few days. I will update the thread after I put the jb4 back on and log. Thanks again.
Cool dealer! Update?