N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#26)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-24-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa200
Well I've got some not so encouraging news. I took the car out for a few pulls, and on pull three we most definitely has issues.

I ran the car in mode 0 (disabled) and twice in mode two (+4psi). The first time things went without a hitch. Drove a couple of miles and went to pull again, and about half way through a WOT pull I got a solid check engine light that went off after finishing the pull (got up to 80Mph and let off). Slowed down to make the turn onto another road, and when I gave the car a little throttle to start speeding up I started getting misfires and the check engine light was back on. Drove the remaining mile to my house in that condition, and when I placed it in park, she was idling very rough, definite misfire.

Fired up the laptop and set the tune back down to mode 0 (disabled) and gave the car a few minutes, then fired it back up. Car ran as normal. Gave it a few hard accelerations in park up to 5krpm, and everything still ran fine as can be, with no check engine light.

I've got the entire sessions (all three pulls) recorded on my snapon diagnostics setup (should be able to be watch on the free ShopStream Connect software, and pictures of the maximum pre-chip MAP sensor voltage for each of the pulls as well.

I've enclosed a zip that has the session file, the software to view it, and a picture of the max map sensor voltage reading named to match the mark where the max boost occurred on the SnapOn Playback.

Misfires at higher boost levels are not unexpected on the platform from what I've heard. You will probably need new plugs with a tighter gap at some point. How many miles do you have? Read and share the specific codes you're getting when you can.

For data appreciate what you tried to collect but none of it is useful for us. We only need logs from the JB4 itself using the interface in the first post, as anything boost or voltage related from the OBDII port won't be accurate anyway. And the JB4 outputs all the raw sensor outputs we need.

I've also added updated JB4 firmware to the first post to correct a scaling issue on the boost logging. Load that and log map1.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#27)
Old

Car: Kia Stinger GT1
Default 03-24-2018, 08:36 PM

Yeah, unfortunately I wasn't running the logging for the JB4 at the time, so I'll have to give it a go again running it as well. Was doing the engine stats off the snap-on and pre-JB4 MAP voltage readings because I figured having that would be helpful as well, and from what I can see, the JB4 can't poll any of that in it's logger as of now (aside from the ecu psi and boost that a noticed it was logging) since the canbus module isn't ready for the stinger yet.

Was wondering if the plug issues would rear it's head or not after getting heavier into the boost settings.

Ran map 1 earlier today while I was playing with logging and didn't hit any issues while running those settings. Boost seemed to trend stock about 3 pounds through high rpm as expected, and was holding a boost a touch longer when letting off throttle than stock settings.

I'll do the firmware update and some logging on map1 tommorow and see if any issues pop back up, as I went out just a bit ago and ran the car through it's paces on map0 and it never acted up.
(#28)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-24-2018, 09:10 PM

Ah got it, OK I'll check the OBDII data out you grabbed when time permits. I removed the file from the forum as 23mb is more space than I want to store on the forum server. For large files like that in the future email them but for smaller files like JB4 CSV logs those can be attached. Actually if you can take your OBDII data and throw it in to a chart format the JPG is all I'd need to see. RPM, fuel trims (bank1 is fine), AFR (again bank1 is fine), Cyl1 timing, throttle, and pedal, will get us started there.

Yes getting the CANbus active is on the short list of things to get done! And lets us enable several unique safety systems the JB4 has including run lean protection, autotuning based on timing feedback, etc.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#29)
Old

Car: Kia Stinger GT1
Default 03-24-2018, 11:04 PM

Yeah having the canbus access will be great (I can also probably probe out some of the values while I have the OBDII logger on hand). If not I'll probe them later with my GPIO setup.

No issues on removing the upload, figured I better supply a way to read the data at least once lol. The session itself was fairly small thank goodness. I'll swap out the graphed information to match any of the values you need. I can snapshot in the program, so instead of running the whole session I will zoom in on the area coming in and out of WOT and get a jpeg screenshot. I know most of what you asking for is accessible via the scanner, I'll let you know what all isn't there. This scanner is a software version behind unfortunately, but I've been told even the most recent is missing this car right now (go figure).

What really ticks me off is this unit has a 4 channels DMM with a logging function, that I had plans on using to grab the pre and post JB4 module voltages on TMAP and MAP, so that i could log them in sync with the rest of the data (essentially what the JD4 would be doing with canbus active, except we'd have to do the voltage to psig conversion from the sensor datasheet). HOWEVER, the dang thing won't do DMM logging and OBDII logging at the same time! Its either one or the other,
(#30)
Old

Car: 2018 Kia Stinger GT
Default 03-26-2018, 05:55 AM

So some good news and bad news..

1. Good news- I received it yesterday and it took all of 5 minutes to install... The first impressions were amazing.. IMO, this is how aggressive it should be out of the gate.. speed is immediate and it moves with purpose.. Only using Map 1.

2. Bad news - it started sputtering and the check engine flickered a few times during normal acceleration on the highway to work this morning.. So bad, I pulled off to a remote parking lot and removed it. It was in the 30’s last night, 42 degrees this morning and the car was at normal operating temperature.

I ordered the REV3 this morning for Map changing and data logging. It’s going to be cold and rainy for the next week or so and I want to get as much data logged and sent to Terry.
(#31)
Old

Default 03-26-2018, 06:23 AM

I also just ordered the HKS M45iL Spark Plugs just to be safe..
(#32)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-26-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallK
I ordered the REV3 this morning for Map changing and data logging. Itís going to be cold and rainy for the next week or so and I want to get as much data logged and sent to Terry.
The BMS data cable is perfectly suitable for logging as only boost is active for logging now. You just run it in the window or door jamb when needed.

Burger Motorsports

(#33)
Old

Default 03-26-2018, 09:55 AM

So what you are saying Terry is to stop being a pansy and man up?... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
The BMS data cable is perfectly suitable for logging as only boost is active for logging now. You just run it in the window or door jamb when needed.
(#34)
Old

Car: kia stinger
Default 03-26-2018, 02:47 PM

Hello everybody, I received my JB4 Friday night for the Stinger and installed it Saturday morning to test it out (default map). All I got to say is WOW this car is a whole different animal, throttle response is a lot better and it just pulls when you floor it, it just feels like its in race mode. Shifts are smooth and other mode work as they should but when you put it in sport mode(Beast mode) hold on! So I spent most of the day just testing it out on PCH, Topanga canyon, Mulholland, long freeway runs and the highest that I pushed it was 140mph( in Mexico ) before I let off, smooth shifting and no problems unfortunately I did not data log, my laptop was at my parents house.
Now comes Sunday, I go to the high desert to get my laptop from my parents house so I can data log the tune and test other tune on the jb4. After I left my parents house with the laptop(not charged) I took a quick run down route 66 to do some wot pulls and that's when I experienced a quick engine check light(turned off right away) and misfire ( I assume) I did another pull and same thing but no check engine light this time, it would do this every time I WOT. I took it off and everything worked fine no problem, drove back to LA. I will put it back on once im ready to log with my laptop(fully charged).
(#35)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-26-2018, 03:23 PM

If everyone gets misfires at higher boost levels we may have to start stocking spark plugs for the motor.

Be sure to update the firmware and let me know how map1 does. One of our goals is to have a map1 that will not misfire even on weak plugs (assuming the stock tuning doesn't misfire), and then the higher maps are for those who want to experiment with higher power levels, ,knowing plugs may become an issue.

Burger Motorsports

(#36)
Old

Car: Gt Stinger
Default 03-26-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice guy
Hello everybody, I received my JB4 Friday night for the Stinger and installed it Saturday morning to test it out (default map). All I got to say is WOW this car is a whole different animal, throttle response is a lot better and it just pulls when you floor it, it just feels like its in race mode. Shifts are smooth and other mode work as they should but when you put it in sport mode(Beast mode) hold on! So I spent most of the day just testing it out on PCH, Topanga canyon, Mulholland, long freeway runs and the highest that I pushed it was 140mph( in Mexico ) before I let off, smooth shifting and no problems unfortunately I did not data log, my laptop was at my parents house.
Now comes Sunday, I go to the high desert to get my laptop from my parents house so I can data log the tune and test other tune on the jb4. After I left my parents house with the laptop(not charged) I took a quick run down route 66 to do some wot pulls and that's when I experienced a quick engine check light(turned off right away) and misfire ( I assume) I did another pull and same thing but no check engine light this time, it would do this every time I WOT. I took it off and everything worked fine no problem, drove back to LA. I will put it back on once im ready to log with my laptop(fully charged).
What octane fuel are you running?
(#37)
Old

Default 03-26-2018, 05:17 PM

Thanks Terry, I will get the firmware updated.. what plugs do you suggest? I ordered a set of HKS M45iL Spark Plugs this morning and shortly after was messaged by a Kia tech about some horror stories with these very expensive plugs... I want to get these swapped so that I am getting maximum benefits from the JB4 and not let sub par plugs ruin it.

Quote:
If everyone gets misfires at higher boost levels we may have to start stocking spark plugs for the motor.

Be sure to update the firmware and let me know how map1 does. One of our goals is to have a map1 that will not misfire even on weak plugs (assuming the stock tuning doesn't misfire), and then the higher maps are for those who want to experiment with higher power levels, ,knowing plugs may become an issue.
(#38)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-26-2018, 06:04 PM

We haven't tested or evaluated any of the plug options yet, so no advice to offer yet. But we will!

Burger Motorsports

(#39)
Old

Car: kia stinger
Default 03-26-2018, 07:01 PM

91 octane
(#40)
Old

Default 03-26-2018, 07:10 PM

Hey all, when downloading the JB4 program to my laptop I ran into a "Your administrator has blocked this application because it potentially poses a security risk to your computer" this is a known issue when it comes to third part applications and here is the solution:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vis...rompt-behavior

Last edited by RandallK; 03-26-2018 at 07:15 PM..
(#41)
Old

Default 03-26-2018, 07:47 PM

Update... I installed the newest firmware that is on the bottom of the first post “1B.hex”.. It still stutters on MAP 1. So I came back home to grab my laptop and log, but the cable is to short and will need to order an extension.

Last edited by RandallK; 03-26-2018 at 08:21 PM..
(#42)
Old

Car: Kia Stinger GT
Default 03-27-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
We only need logs from the JB4 itself using the interface in the first post
Any feedback on the logs I posted this weekend? I want to make sure Iím logging everything correctly before updating the maps and getting more data.
(#43)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-27-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CursingDingo
Any feedback on the logs I posted this weekend? I want to make sure I’m logging everything correctly before updating the maps and getting more data.
Logs look fine, although the zero point on the absolute sensor looks off, so the boost readings are low in the log. Update to the firmware in the first post.

Burger Motorsports

(#44)
Old

Car: Stinger
Default 03-27-2018, 02:44 PM

Any news on the Stinger fuel system having enough capacity to run e85 with an appropiate tune?
On a related topic the Stinger comes with a 2.0 turbo as well - which is the same engine in the new hyundai n30 hot hatch. Will BMS be releasing a JB4 for this car?
(#45)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-27-2018, 06:50 PM

Yes, we plan to cover all Kia models. It appears the same hardware is compatible and we'll just need to refine the software.

For the fueling capacity we need to get CANbus active to better monitor everything over a wider range of vehicles so that's the next step!

Burger Motorsports

(#46)
Old

Car: 2018 Kia Stinger 3.3
Default 03-28-2018, 05:34 AM

Terry - is it ok to buy the JB4 in its current state for the 3.3TT Stinger? My buddy and I want to get them but all the misfires are making me want to wait till the kinks are ironed out.
(#47)
Old

Car: 2018 STINGER GT1
Default 03-28-2018, 07:03 PM

One thing you can try with this with the factory plug is try grabbing a Iridum plug gap tool and gap it down to .28 .27 maybe even .25 see if that stops the blowout because I am sure that is the missfire your talking about. it is an easy way of testing the current plugs you have and with my many years of tuning experiance there are plenty of tricks and I really hope I can help with this as well I am waiting for my JB4 to show up for my Stinger and going to get to work and see if I can build and even send files
(#48)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-28-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDangles
Terry - is it ok to buy the JB4 in its current state for the 3.3TT Stinger? My buddy and I want to get them but all the misfires are making me want to wait till the kinks are ironed out.
Absolutely OK. On the misfires it's a power thing so if you get them you need to turn down power (grab a BMS data cable or JB4 mobile for that) or to close the gap on the plugs down.

Burger Motorsports

(#49)
Old

Default 03-29-2018, 07:14 PM

Hey Terry, I purchased the REV3 and downloaded the App, it wonít let me connect as the engine for the Stinger isnít available. Can this be updated so that I can start logging and change Maps with ease?

THank you!!

Quote:
Absolutely OK. On the misfires it's a power thing so if you get them you need to turn down power (grab a BMS data cable or JB4 mobile for that) or to close the gap on the plugs down.
(#50)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-29-2018, 07:21 PM

Engine selection has no effect on anything for Kia. Select anything you want there or use the default selection.

Burger Motorsports