JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1301)
Old

Car: '21 Mazda 3 Turbo Hatch
Default 05-16-2022, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncanny M
Also, is there like a glossary or cheat sheet for what all of the various gauges are, what they do, etc?
2nd this. New to all this and finding it confusing what most the stuff in the app means.
(#1302)
Old

Car: Mazda CX-5 2.5t 2019
Default 05-16-2022, 08:05 PM

Ordered a corksport boost tube for the CX-5, hoping for better throttle response. Are there any big gains to be had from other bolt on mods for CX-5 beyond map2 on stock? Have already done suspension/wheels/tires.
(#1303)
Old

Car: 2022 Mazda CX-30 Turbo
Default 05-17-2022, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3TAl
2nd this. New to all this and finding it confusing what most the stuff in the app means.
For example, it'd be nice to have something that identifies the abbreviation, has a brief description, as well as key thresholds/values to aim for or stay within. For example:

AFR: Air-to-fuel ratio, measures how rich (the lower the number) or how lean (the higher the number) your engine is running. Ideally, you want 14-15 at idle and 12-13 at WOT.
AFR2: ...
Boost: ...
Boost2: ...
CalcTorque: ...
CANFlap: ...

...and have that for the various gauges available, as well as for the various parameters in the Settings > Tuner > User Adjustment window. That would be my wish!
(#1304)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-18-2022, 07:33 PM

Not everything applies to the platform, but we can make a Mazda specific logging thread when time permits.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1305)
Old

Default 05-20-2022, 07:26 AM

That would be great!
(#1306)
Old

Car: 2017 Golf TSi 1.8L
Default 05-20-2022, 08:44 PM

Just a quick update for now, I have more experimenting to do, but wanted to share my results... Keep in mind I have a lot of experience on the JB4 coming from the VW community, not an *expert* but know the important stuff to focus on.

So first, setting fuel bias to 25 on pump gas seems very excessive. I was hitting AFR's as rich as 9.8 with that setting, a full point lower than it should be at most under WOT, with Map 2 I think starting with a fuel bias of 10 is a good start and log and watch AFR's under WOT and adjust from there

I finally got some e85.. Now when I say e85, I'm talking the small batch gourmet stuff that is a full 88% ethanol, not this ~70% stuff most of the country gets. It's not cheap at $5.20 a gallon but damn, seems to be well worth it! So that said I just put 2 gallons in along with the rest Northwest 92+ and under Map 6 with a boost curve maxing at +4.5 it wiped out all Ign_2 numbers and *clearly* felt much faster with more throttle response and urgency. I really think there will be some good custom Map 6 ability on these cars, seems like Terry could be selling the potential a little short here!

I mean, most turbo cars do have a nice response to adding ethanol, as long as you can up the boost to take advantage of it either through a full ECU flash or the wonderful JB4 device. I had my expectations tampered a bit with all the info before saying that there wasn't much gains to be had beyond Map 2, and this is absolutely not what I'm experiencing at all, in a good way!

I'm going on the Corksport sponsored Mazda cruise tomorrow, I know I'm looking forward to meeting Havok and anyone else on here that is also going. I'd like to try to dial in my Map 6 even more overnight on my "no work to do tonight anyway" night shift when I have a safe strip of "Mexico" very close to my work for test runs. Anyway, I'll update more soon, but I'm hoping we can go a little deeper here in this thread, I mean it already *is* a tuning thread right?

Mazda 3/CX-30 BETA tester BMS267264 - '22 Platinum Quartz Metallic M3TH - Performance mods: 235/40/18 on 18x8 wheels, strut tower brace, JB4, CorkSport Intake w/heatshield, CorkSport axle-back exhaust, waiting for mid-section on backorder.
(#1307)
Old

Car: 2021 Mazda3 Turbo AWD
Default 05-20-2022, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbfree
Just a quick update for now, I have more experimenting to do, but wanted to share my results... Keep in mind I have a lot of experience on the JB4 coming from the VW community, not an *expert* but know the important stuff to focus on.

So first, setting fuel bias to 25 on pump gas seems very excessive. I was hitting AFR's as rich as 9.8 with that setting, a full point lower than it should be at most under WOT, with Map 2 I think starting with a fuel bias of 10 is a good start and log and watch AFR's under WOT and adjust from there

I finally got some e85.. Now when I say e85, I'm talking the small batch gourmet stuff that is a full 88% ethanol, not this ~70% stuff most of the country gets. It's not cheap at $5.20 a gallon but damn, seems to be well worth it! So that said I just put 2 gallons in along with the rest Northwest 92+ and under Map 6 with a boost curve maxing at +4.5 it wiped out all Ign_2 numbers and *clearly* felt much faster with more throttle response and urgency. I really think there will be some good custom Map 6 ability on these cars, seems like Terry could be selling the potential a little short here!

I mean, most turbo cars do have a nice response to adding ethanol, as long as you can up the boost to take advantage of it either through a full ECU flash or the wonderful JB4 device. I had my expectations tampered a bit with all the info before saying that there wasn't much gains to be had beyond Map 2, and this is absolutely not what I'm experiencing at all, in a good way!

I'm going on the Corksport sponsored Mazda cruise tomorrow, I know I'm looking forward to meeting Havok and anyone else on here that is also going. I'd like to try to dial in my Map 6 even more overnight on my "no work to do tonight anyway" night shift when I have a safe strip of "Mexico" very close to my work for test runs. Anyway, I'll update more soon, but I'm hoping we can go a little deeper here in this thread, I mean it already *is* a tuning thread right?
I had to cancel my trip over the mtn tomorrow 😢 ill try to make the next drive...
(#1308)
Old

Car: 2020 Mazda 6 2.5T
Default 2020 Mazda 6, sensor #2 - 05-20-2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turki
Mine is a 6, it has the same connector, you dont have to cut anything, the tape does not hold the connector into the sensor it just seems to hold the wires together, the connector should unplug just like the other 2, its juat a little tight, try pressing the connector lock and get a flat head screwdriver and lodge it between the connector and the sensor and try to use it as a lever to push the connector outward, it should just pop out a little and you can then pull it out with your hand, this worked well for me, good luck and try not to break anything
"I did successfully pop off the panel in the bumper that allows me this view and access to the connector."

I'm new to the forum, and looking for info on accessing the sensor on the passenger side tank of the intercooler. What panel is being referred to in the line above? I'm trying to avoid having to remove the bumper cover. Any help here will be much appreciated!!
(#1309)
Old

Default 2020 Mazda 6, sensor #2 - 05-20-2022, 10:26 PM

pic from earlier post
Attached Images

(#1310)
Old

Default 05-20-2022, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok
I had to cancel my trip over the mtn tomorrow 😢 ill try to make the next drive...
That's too bad but understandable, life and other priorities happens!

Mazda 3/CX-30 BETA tester BMS267264 - '22 Platinum Quartz Metallic M3TH - Performance mods: 235/40/18 on 18x8 wheels, strut tower brace, JB4, CorkSport Intake w/heatshield, CorkSport axle-back exhaust, waiting for mid-section on backorder.
(#1311)
Old

Thumbs up 05-21-2022, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbfree

This is such valuable info! Do you mind sharing what boost / RPM values you are using on Map 6 to get this result?
(#1312)
Old

Default 05-21-2022, 09:08 AM

Quote:
This is such valuable info! Do you mind sharing what boost / RPM values you are using on Map 6 to get this result?
I'm still experimenting, but I'm headed out in the cruise now so I will be topping off with fuel and experimenting more. I did get some corrections while intentionally pushing it, so I'm gonna go for a full E30 mix and see what happens, I'll report back tonight. But to start with at 1500 I begin with 2.5 and ramp up to 5psi by 3000, stay there for a few spots and then fade down to 3.5@6000. Using fuel bias 20 for all spots and AFR is about 10.8 under WOT.

(#1313)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-21-2022, 10:33 AM

Note on v4 firmware user adjustable fuel bias is disabled unless enabled via option bit0. In most cases we don't suggest playing with it unless you know how to review logs, etc.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1314)
Old

Car: 2020 Mazda 6 Signature
Default 05-21-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF's2020Mazda6
"I did successfully pop off the panel in the bumper that allows me this view and access to the connector."

I'm new to the forum, and looking for info on accessing the sensor on the passenger side tank of the intercooler. What panel is being referred to in the line above? I'm trying to avoid having to remove the bumper cover. Any help here will be much appreciated!!
I meant the small (kinda triangular) plastic cover, there is one to the left and one to the right of the intercooler opening, inside the cover there is another cover held by a single clip, I uploaded a vido a while ago, sorry for the horrible quality but i only have two hands so hope it helps even a little, i don't know if the forum allows pasting urls, i'll try anyway.

TMAP.mp4 - Google Drive
(#1315)
Old

Default 05-21-2022, 08:31 PM

Thank you so much!! That was a great video, exactly what I was looking for!
(#1316)
Old

Default 05-22-2022, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF's2020Mazda6
Thank you so much!! That was a great video, exactly what I was looking for!
You are welcome, im glad it helped
(#1317)
Old

Default 05-22-2022, 05:09 PM

So i've seen a couple of you above mentioning ign2, well, for me in map1 it gets to about 9, and on map2 it gets all the way to 22!, this is bad from what i understand, but how bad exactly? I know it's mostly the fuel that i'm using, ( i have access to only 91 ) but i saw some of you running map1 on 91 with no issues, maybe the fuel that i use is a really bad quality fuel?, does anyone know what does the number on ign2 mean exactly?
(#1318)
Old

Default 05-23-2022, 01:42 PM

Quote:
So i've seen a couple of you above mentioning ign2, well, for me in map1 it gets to about 9, and on map2 it gets all the way to 22!, this is bad from what i understand, but how bad exactly? I know it's mostly the fuel that i'm using, ( i have access to only 91 ) but i saw some of you running map1 on 91 with no issues, maybe the fuel that i use is a really bad quality fuel?, does anyone know what does the number on ign2 mean exactly?
Like you, I have more questions than answers for most of these parameters, as I am new to this and trying to learn without damaging my vehicle. It's a guess, but I believe Ign 2 measures some sort of ignition timing compensation.

Higher octane gas doesn't have more "power" than regular gas, it simply helps prevent the gas from igniting too early (can happen with aggressive ignition timing and high boost pressure). When you have the higher octane, you can safely increase these things to get more power, but trying to do that without the right stuff in place can result in a blown engine.

I think Ign 2 is tied to that somehow. When the CPU sees the possibly of early detonation (aka knock) it might be trying to adjust things on the fly to help prevent it -- and the higher the number, the more the CPU is having to "step in" to keep things safe. A little may not be an issue because the CPU can handle it when it needs to. A lot may indicate that things are getting too aggressive for the CPU to account for.

Last edited by Uncanny M; 05-23-2022 at 01:52 PM..
(#1319)
Old

Default 05-23-2022, 02:00 PM

On an unrelated note, more toward the app itself, it would be amazing to have some widget options for fast changes. For example, maybe a "map" widget where you can press it to connect to the JB4 (if you aren't already) and switch maps with a single press, and without having to go into the app itself and click around.

I feel like I drive around on aggressive maps more often than I would just to have that power "on tap". Trying to open the app, connect to Bluetooth, click the map gauge, select an option, etc -- can be cumbersome while on the road. But if there was, for example, a "map 2" button on my home screen that would fast-track those steps, muah it would be beautiful.
(#1320)
Old

Car: 2021 Mazda 3 Turbo Sedan
Default 05-23-2022, 02:19 PM

Made an account to show support for the project and thank everyone here for the discussion so far. I'm excited to see the developments.

I was looking at the high flow intake and noticed that there aren't dynos for stage 2. Only factory tuning and Map2 for stage 1. Were stage 2 readings ever posted? Do you expect the readings to be significantly different?
(#1321)
Old

Default 05-23-2022, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propaganda Hour
Made an account to show support for the project and thank everyone here for the discussion so far. I'm excited to see the developments.

I was looking at the high flow intake and noticed that there aren't dynos for stage 2. Only factory tuning and Map2 for stage 1. Were stage 2 readings ever posted? Do you expect the readings to be significantly different?
I think stage two dyno runs were posted on page 36.
(#1322)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 05-23-2022, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propaganda Hour

No difference in power between stage 1 and stage 2. Just depends on what you prefer and if you want "cooler" air from the fender well. I dyno tested both same day while on the dyno.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

(#1323)
Old

Default 05-23-2022, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Note on v4 firmware user adjustable fuel bias is disabled unless enabled via option bit0. In most cases we don't suggest playing with it unless you know how to review logs, etc.
Thanks for that info and yes, please do tell more. As long as you give appropriate warnings for novices, there are those of us who want to do more adjustments. There was lots of transparency on the VW side, sure, not 100% due to siding with caution sometimes, but with its own FB group ran by George and it's own forum mostly user led, we were able to learn a lot in how useful the JB4 can be for more advanced usage too. I personally like looking over logs as a spreadsheet to watch trim levels/AFR's as they are closely related and ignition corrections to dial in Map 6 settings. It's actually quite easy to learn the basics.

So, not sure if officially still "Beta" but enabling tenths or even half psi levels of boost adjustment for Map 6 would be nice, is there an option bit for that or can you add to the next firmware? An advanced user guide or shoot, at least a basic option bit and logging category glossary with clear warnings where needed for novices would be great! I mean, I clearly saw an option bit to override overall safety stuff, so people can already mess things up if they were irresponsible, so at least a full glossary would be nice so we can decide where we want to go with our knowledge and comfort level.

This is coming from a customer that appreciates you even offering this on the Mazda! Normally I lurk and wait for a used device to become available at a big discount but I bought this new right away as I want to help progress the tuning with this car. I don't know if this thread is mostly for install and basic usage but I'd like to go more in-depth as the JB4 does have some very decent capability.

(#1324)
Old

Default 05-23-2022, 11:21 PM

Quote:
You won't damage anything, but you're relying on the ECU to cut boost and timing when getting so many large corrections. SW/Cali 91 has been shown to be pretty bad in my experience tuning over my last few cars. I would travel from Oregon down to Cali and even using 91 tunes would get corrections on 91 gas that I didn't see at all using northwest 92 on *93 tunes*. I'm not sure if you have checked to see if e85 is available or not in your area, but 22 is really pretty bad, and even 9 for map 1 is kind of surprising, but does make sense based on what I was just mentioning, that 91 sucks unfortunately. With my Mazda now I only hit in the 5's, max, for Ign_2 running Map 2 meant for 93 with our NW 92. You should notice the "Target" (added) psi drop very quickly when getting a few negative corrections in a row, unfortunately that kind of negates the JB4 usefulness. If all you have is 91, period, do not push it and stick to Map 1, which is already borderline with how poor quality the 91 fuel is unfortunately. I hate to say this, but a JB4 is almost pointless unless you have at least high quality 92 to 93+, so if you can, try to find e85. It's subsidized and pretty cheap compared to gas in Cali, you could even just add 3 gallons per full tank and likely get very little corrections, if any, on map 2. Yes, the actual alcohol percentage can vary based on time of year, but at the 3 gallon quantity it is enough to help but also not run too lean.

(#1325)
Old

Default 05-23-2022, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Like you, I have more questions than answers for most of these parameters, as I am new to this and trying to learn without damaging my vehicle. It's a guess, but I believe Ign 2 measures some sort of ignition timing compensation.

Higher octane gas doesn't have more "power" than regular gas, it simply helps prevent the gas from igniting too early (can happen with aggressive ignition timing and high boost pressure). When you have the higher octane, you can safely increase these things to get more power, but trying to do that without the right stuff in place can result in a blown engine.

I think Ign 2 is tied to that somehow. When the CPU sees the possibly of early detonation (aka knock) it might be trying to adjust things on the fly to help prevent it -- and the higher the number, the more the CPU is having to "step in" to keep things safe. A little may not be an issue because the CPU can handle it when it needs to. A lot may indicate that things are getting too aggressive for the CPU to account for.
Yes, it has been confirmed that Ign_2 are negative corrections. When viewing a log as a spreadsheet, too many in a row per line of data while under 100% WOT then you will see added boost being pulled back by the JB4 and ultimately, from there the ECU will dial things back as far as needed to keep things safe. But, when you have poor fuel that causes boost to be pulled even with Map 1, then that honestly negates the value of even using a JB4, as you're not even able to max out the stock power available. With how the Mazda stock ignition strategy is, off throttle corrections are not a big deal as it hunts for as much timing advance possible for light throttle power and is normal.