N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2010 BMW 535i
Default Cylinder 5 misfire & O2 sensor codes. Please advise. - 10-09-2017, 05:04 PM

I have a 2010 335i with JB4, DCI, Charge Pipe and BOV. Last week I started misfiring in cylinder 5. I checked cylinder 5 when I got home and there was oil in the plug. So I replaced the gasket and the plugs and cleaned up everything. Well now I'm getting the misfire I cylinder 5 plus 2C3F, 2C9C, 2C9D, 2C9F. I took a log if the car as well while it was idling. Idk if it'll help but just in case it does I'll attach it. Please advise on how to fix this problem. Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2017-10-09 16_50_45.csv (26.4 KB, 129 views)

2010 535i Stock -
2010 E92 335i JB4 - DCI - Active Autowerkes Charge pipe & BOV - 19" Verde Staggered Rims
www.blacktiedetailingco.com
IG - @BlackTieDetailing
Black Tie Detailing
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 10-09-2017, 09:27 PM

Would need the description of the other codes.

Did you swap the coil pack, or just the plug?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 10-09-2017, 10:21 PM

2C3F - DME internal error: Lambda probe, evaluation component
2C9C - Lambda probe heating in front of catalytic converter, input signal
2C9D - Lambda probe heating in front of catalytic converter 2, input signal
2C9F - Lambda probe heating behind catalytic converter 2, input signal

Only replaced the plugs. However I did move my cylinder 5 coil pack to see if the misfire would move with the coil and it did not.

2010 535i Stock -
2010 E92 335i JB4 - DCI - Active Autowerkes Charge pipe & BOV - 19" Verde Staggered Rims
IG - @BlackTieDetailing
Black Tie Detailing
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-10-2017, 07:53 AM

Looks like your o2 sensor went bad- if you look @ the log, AFR 1- stays pegged at 20.0 while bank 2 is reading normal.

I’d replace the sensor & go from there.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 10-10-2017, 08:11 AM

Okay, I'll get on that. Is it possible that the o2 sensors is causing the misfire even though I had the misfire prior to them going bad?

2010 535i Stock -
IG - @BlackTieDetailing
Black Tie Detailing

Last edited by DoobiieDripp; 10-10-2017 at 10:40 AM..
(#6)
Old

Default 10-10-2017, 09:25 AM

This might be a dumb question but which o2 sensor(s) should I be replacing? I know there's 4 of them. Should I be changing bank 1 pre-*** or post-***?

2010 535i Stock -
IG - @BlackTieDetailing
Black Tie Detailing
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 10-10-2017, 07:13 PM

As Dave suggested I'd start with bank 1 and since your AFR is pegged at 20, that would be pre-***. Based on your codes, I'm not completely sure what the issue is and I'd probably put a little time in to troubleshooting before throwing parts at it or at a minimum, order the pre-*** sensor with the long cable so it will work on both banks.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#8)
Old

Default 10-10-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
As Dave suggested I'd start with bank 1 and since your AFR is pegged at 20, that would be pre-***. Based on your codes, I'm not completely sure what the issue is and I'd probably put a little time in to troubleshooting before throwing parts at it or at a minimum, order the pre-*** sensor with the long cable so it will work on both banks.
Thank you Steve, what troubleshooting measure should I take? I've been searching high and low for the answer to that question to no avail. The only thing I see around is to change the o2 sensor. I just find it odd that it'll fail and all I did was unplug it to change my valve cover gasket. If you have any suggestions as far as troubleshooting I'm all ears, if not I'll figure it out.

Thank you!

2010 535i Stock -
IG - @BlackTieDetailing
Black Tie Detailing
(#9)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-10-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobiieDripp
Thank you Steve, what troubleshooting measure should I take? I've been searching high and low for the answer to that question to no avail. The only thing I see around is to change the o2 sensor. I just find it odd that it'll fail and all I did was unplug it to change my valve cover gasket. If you have any suggestions as far as troubleshooting I'm all ears, if not I'll figure it out.

Thank you!
Iíd double check to make sure the connection is good. Once thatís confirmed, Iíd possibly try a quick adaptation reset.

If that doesnít do the trick, replace the sensor

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old

Default 10-10-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ Fuel-it!
Iíd double check to make sure the connection is good. Once thatís confirmed, Iíd possibly try a quick adaptation reset.

Thank you Dave. I'll give that a shot tonight. I appreciate the help.

2010 535i Stock -
IG - @BlackTieDetailing
Black Tie Detailing
(#11)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-10-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Thank you Dave. I'll give that a shot tonight. I appreciate the help.
No worries

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Default 10-12-2017, 10:07 PM

Okay so I tried troubleshooting and it did not work. I'll pick up a new sensor tomorrow morning, install it, and provide an update. However, I'm also getting a lighting system error code on the iDrive. I got my battery checked and charged at AutoZone and they said it was good. My car starts no problem, my exterior lights work but my cabin lights and Windows do not. Any clue what could be the cause?

2010 535i Stock -
IG - @BlackTieDetailing
Black Tie Detailing
(#13)
Old

Car: Bmw 535i - 2011
Default 10-13-2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ Fuel-it!

how to reset adaptation ?

2011 F10 535i N55 PWG 8AT | "Pureboost.de Tune" + MHD Flasher | xHP Stage 3 transmission Tune | N20 3.5bar TMAP Sensor | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | GFB DV+ | Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP | 93 Octane Fuel | BMS Intake | ER 4" CLess D/Pipe | ER 3" Charge-Pipe | Wagner-Tuning Competition Intercooler | Custom Turbo Inlet Pipe | https://i.imgur.com/iR4wm3I.jpg |
(#14)
Old

Default 10-13-2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaqasRiyami
how to reset adaptation ?
Use the jb4 steering wheel controls. Go to menu 1 (Speedo at 10mph) option 7 (tach at 7k rpm) then exit steering wheel controls and voila.

2010 535i Stock -
IG - @BlackTieDetailing
Black Tie Detailing
(#15)
Old

Default 10-13-2017, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Use the jb4 steering wheel controls. Go to menu 1 (Speedo at 10mph) option 7 (tach at 7k rpm) then exit steering wheel controls and voila.
will this reset the dme adaptations ? or the JB4 adaptations ?

2011 F10 535i N55 PWG 8AT | "Pureboost.de Tune" + MHD Flasher | xHP Stage 3 transmission Tune | N20 3.5bar TMAP Sensor | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | GFB DV+ | Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP | 93 Octane Fuel | BMS Intake | ER 4" CLess D/Pipe | ER 3" Charge-Pipe | Wagner-Tuning Competition Intercooler | Custom Turbo Inlet Pipe | https://i.imgur.com/iR4wm3I.jpg |
(#16)
Old

Default 10-13-2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaqasRiyami
will this reset the dme adaptations ? or the JB4 adaptations ?
It resets octane, o2 sensor, and AFR adaptations. Not sure if it resets those in the DME or just the JB4

2010 535i Stock -
IG - @BlackTieDetailing
Black Tie Detailing
(#17)
Old

Default 10-13-2017, 01:21 AM

Quote:
It resets octane, o2 sensor, and AFR adaptations. Not sure if it resets those in the DME or just the JB4
It seems that the adaptation reset is only for E-series cars not for F-series

As stated in the N55 Jb4 thread by terry
'***************************************
'OBDII In Dash Menu
'***************************************
'0 map menu, map shown on tach. Note map guide above.
'1 Not used for this model

(#18)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-14-2017, 11:06 AM

You'll need to reset adaptions via a BT or other OBDII device.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#19)
Old

Default 10-14-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
You'll need to reset adaptions via a BT or other OBDII device.
I have the REV.3 bluetooth
Can i do it with that ?
I Have the F10 N55 2012 , with the JB4 android app

Last edited by WaqasRiyami; 10-14-2017 at 11:45 AM..
(#20)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-15-2017, 03:19 PM

No, unfortunately not.

(#21)
Old

Default 10-19-2017, 05:17 PM

So I figured out why I initially was getting the lambda codes. I pinched and cut my Bank 1 O2 sensor wires in my valve cover when I put it back on. However replacing that sensor did not clear my problems. I reset the adaptations and cleared the codes but the problem still persists. Where should I look now? I've attached two new logs of the car idling.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2017-10-19 16_34_15.csv (15.2 KB, 102 views)
File Type: csv 2017-10-19 16_33_01.csv (912 Bytes, 108 views)

2010 535i Stock -
IG - @BlackTieDetailing
Black Tie Detailing
(#22)
Old

Default 10-29-2017, 01:34 AM

Update: Misfire has been solved, it was an ignition coil. However my LAMBDA codes still persist. I have replaced sensors, ensured all connectors are connected snugly, and reset adaptations multiple times. It seems as if my o2 sensors signal is not making it to the ecu. Does that sound possible? Any input is appreciated.

2010 535i Stock -
IG - @BlackTieDetailing
Black Tie Detailing
(#23)
Old

Car: 07 335i
Default 10-30-2017, 07:25 AM

Having a similar issue, the issue that sounds like the O2 sensor signal is not making it to the DME....

2007 335i ~ Atmosphere CCV ~ CCV Head Ports Sealed ~ 2.5 Custom Exhaust ~ Fiber Wrapped –Pö ~ 25x12x4 FMIC ~ Custom 2.5in Chargepipes ~ T-Bolts Clamps ~ Synapse BOV ~ K&N Intakes on Pass/Side ~ NCI S1 Coilovers ~ MFactory LSD ~ Michelin PSS ~

Watch my videos here.
(#24)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-30-2017, 09:06 PM

Have you re-seated your DME connections to the JB4?

(#25)
Old

Default 10-30-2017, 09:10 PM

I've removed the jb4 to eliminate that as an issue. I use the mhd app to read the codes.

2010 535i Stock -
IG - @BlackTieDetailing
Black Tie Detailing