N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#26)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 07-11-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper260687
So would it be better to start off just with 91 map 2?

Then go from there with a blend?

Sorry, coming from an RS3 on FULL E85, the power is very much wanted on the 718
Yes, start with map 1 or 2 with 91 octane. Then do an e85 blend and get a log on map 2 and we'll go on from there.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#27)
Old

Car: 718 cayman s
Default 07-11-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Yes, start with map 1 or 2 with 91 octane. Then do an e85 blend and get a log on map 2 and we'll go on from there.
Okay sounds good.

I have the mobile app.

What email or to whom should i send the log to?
(#28)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-11-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Okay sounds good.

I have the mobile app.

What email or to whom should i send the log to?
Post the CSV file here or you can email me directly.

Payam@burgertuning.com

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#29)
Old

Car: 718 cayman s
Default 07-20-2019, 05:56 PM

I sent an email with some concerns about the logs.

I starting logging today but had way too many logs after pressing the button only once
(#30)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-22-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I sent an email with some concerns about the logs.

I starting logging today but had way too many logs after pressing the button only once
Got it! Working with you in the emails

Burger Motorsports

(#31)
Old

Car: Porsche 718 Cayman
Default 09-18-2019, 03:51 PM

Contacted your support via Chat and they recommended I ask the questions here.

Im looking for a way to mildly increase the power of my base 718 without changing the ECU to avoid problems with possible warranty work down the road. You guys have a good reputation so was interested in learning more about your system.

What does it have control authority over? i.e:

Timing? retard timing if knock occurs? Reduce timing further than stock when boost is increased above stock boost?

Lambda? Can it control (increase fuel) for increased boost above stock?

(Not sure if timing or Lambda needs to change for a few more lbs boost)

Safety features: What is most important to me, is that all the factory safety features remain active and that if something goes wrong due to bad fuel, sensor or injector failure etc, that the engine can protect itself. Does this still remain fully intact? Any limitations here?

When Knock occurs does the ECU still pull timing as it should protecting the engine?

It appears your unit monitors the ECU through the ODB port and that may be what allows your unit to understand if something is not working going well, like knock or running lean?

I see with the mobile app you can do some data logging. Can you check for knock and other PIDs that would allow one to monitor how the Tune is working?

If still in Beta, are there any concern you might have using this product on a 2018 vehicle given it would be use for a stage 1 or mild boost in power as mentioned before?

Re clearing codes in ECU, I've read on forums for other platforms your unit can clear the codes or readings that may alert the factory that car may have had a piggy back on it. Does this apply to the Porsche 718 platform as well?
(#32)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-19-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB
Contacted your support via Chat and they recommended I ask the questions here.

Im looking for a way to mildly increase the power of my base 718 without changing the ECU to avoid problems with possible warranty work down the road. You guys have a good reputation so was interested in learning more about your system.

What does it have control authority over? i.e:

Timing? retard timing if knock occurs? Reduce timing further than stock when boost is increased above stock boost?

Lambda? Can it control (increase fuel) for increased boost above stock?

(Not sure if timing or Lambda needs to change for a few more lbs boost)

Safety features: What is most important to me, is that all the factory safety features remain active and that if something goes wrong due to bad fuel, sensor or injector failure etc, that the engine can protect itself. Does this still remain fully intact? Any limitations here?

When Knock occurs does the ECU still pull timing as it should protecting the engine?

It appears your unit monitors the ECU through the ODB port and that may be what allows your unit to understand if something is not working going well, like knock or running lean?

I see with the mobile app you can do some data logging. Can you check for knock and other PIDs that would allow one to monitor how the Tune is working?

If still in Beta, are there any concern you might have using this product on a 2018 vehicle given it would be use for a stage 1 or mild boost in power as mentioned before?

Re clearing codes in ECU, I've read on forums for other platforms your unit can clear the codes or readings that may alert the factory that car may have had a piggy back on it. Does this apply to the Porsche 718 platform as well?
This tuning device is very basic, but has lots of gains.

The stuff you're referring to is mostly for flash tuning.

The JB4 will increase boost, the ecu will compensate for fuel on the other end. All factory safeties and tuning is all still in place so it feels like a stock car until you step on it.

Burger Motorsports

(#33)
Old

Default 09-19-2019, 11:35 AM

OK got it, thank you. Tried to send you a PM, but the account wont let me apparently.

Once the device is removed and codes cleared(if any) is there any trace left in the Porsche ECU of the JB4?

Can you log on the device to see if there is any knock happening to verify the tune # selected is safe?

Do you know if the 718 has wideband or narrow band from the factory?

I see mention of running more ethanol, does the factory ECU have an ethanol sensor to make adjustments ?
(#34)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-19-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB
OK got it, thank you. Tried to send you a PM, but the account wont let me apparently.

Once the device is removed and codes cleared(if any) is there any trace left in the Porsche ECU of the JB4?

Can you log on the device to see if there is any knock happening to verify the tune # selected is safe?

Do you know if the 718 has wideband or narrow band from the factory?

I see mention of running more ethanol, does the factory ECU have an ethanol sensor to make adjustments ?
You can email me directly if you need to

Payam@burgertuning.com

No trace when removed, as you stated.

Yes, the JB4 has logging which you can do from your laptop with data cable or phone via Bluetooth add-on. That's how we can monitor fuel trims, AFR, boost, timing etc.

IIRC, this would be a wideband. Terry would know better, so I'm not 100% on this.

No, we will monitor fuel trims, fuel pressure, and AFR with ethanol blends to ensure it is safe and can keep up with the mild blends we are mixing in.

Burger Motorsports

(#35)
Old

Default 09-19-2019, 06:15 PM

Thank you!
(#36)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-19-2019, 07:47 PM

Fueling is full time closed loop with wideband like all other modern turbocharged engines.

Burger Motorsports

(#37)
Old

Default 09-19-2019, 10:16 PM

Great, thanks Terry!

Is there a way to log or derive if the ECU detects knock with the JB4?

On a base 718 Cayman with 91 octane, do you have any dyno results from either your or your customers testing? Hoping to make a safe ~45hp if possible. Ive only found the 2.5 liter results posted.
(#38)
Old

Car: 718 Cayman
Default 10-04-2019, 07:01 AM

With the new maps now supporting meth, how would one go about setting this up? Which injection settings should we use for each maps? Des the tune do everything automatically?

I also can't find a kit for Porsches on your website, is it the same kit that you sell for bimmers? How safe is it mechanically, not accounting for possible leaks?
(#39)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-04-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred V
With the new maps now supporting meth, how would one go about setting this up? Which injection settings should we use for each maps? Des the tune do everything automatically?

I also can't find a kit for Porsches on your website, is it the same kit that you sell for bimmers? How safe is it mechanically, not accounting for possible leaks?

If you're mechanically inclined you can do the install yourself.
We're working on a PNP kit with a chargepipe for 1/8npt port.

If you don't want to wait, you'd have to drill into your stock stuff for that.

Methanol injection with the JB4/FSB integration is the safest option you can get! We have safety implementations programmed into the JB4 to keep the engine safe and happy. The JB4 can revert to stock mapping if it see's AFR too lean, fuel trims maxed out, no methanol flow, etc

Burger Motorsports

(#40)
Old

Default 10-04-2019, 11:09 AM

If running 91 octane, is there benefit and is it safe to run an E85 mixture on the stock map of the 718 if you are running an autocross or HPDE event? (3-4 gallons E85 to a full tank?)
(#41)
Old

Default 10-05-2019, 01:58 PM

Gents, is this the wrong place to ask questions?

I recently purchased the JB4 for the 718 and my last two questions have gone unanswered.

Payam, if you prefer to communicate via email, that works. Just assumed that the Q&A in this thread would help others going forward who may have the same questions.
(#42)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-06-2019, 07:08 PM

Email is always more direct as we don't always see every post in every thread here.

Burger Motorsports