N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Snowman Snowman is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 272
Join Date: May 2017
Car: BMW M135I
Default B58, JB4 and throttle closures? - 09-26-2018, 09:57 AM

I just picked up a used M140 and are trying to read up on the whole JB4 and throttle closure issue.
I found several threads from long ago describing the problem, but i have not been able to find any information that the problem has been fixed.
I have tried asking the question in the FAQ JB4 thats pinned up top, without any replies..

So am i simply better of waiting for MHD and other companies looking into the B58 or does the Jb4 work currently?
I have no interest in spending my money on a prototype that only makes the car run lumpy...
Reply With Quote
(#2)
Old
jrdoming jrdoming is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 44
Join Date: Aug 2014
Car: 335i
Default 09-26-2018, 01:36 PM

I have no throttle closure issues on map 1 or 2 but can't comment about map 3. From my reading the throttle closures tend to crop up with a p1pe installed.


2017 340i M Sport. JB4
Reply With Quote
(#3)
Old
JBoe JBoe is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 165
Join Date: May 2018
Car: M240i
Default 09-26-2018, 09:04 PM

I only have them when boost spikes a bit, but that's OE design. Otherwise nothing. Stock, I had more closures than with the JB4 on any map 91 Octane could handle. Finally got octane and WMI installed. Now it's a beast and my logs can prove it.

Biggest issue is that the B58 is a tricky machine to tune. Stock DME does a lot to keep it engine safe. A little overly safe IMHO. JB4 cleared up a lot and fine tuning it allowed me to go further than I ever thought I would with this engine/car.
Reply With Quote
(#4)
Old
Terry @ BMS's Avatar
Terry @ BMS Terry @ BMS is online now
Tuner
 
Posts: 26,146
Join Date: Jan 2008
Default 09-29-2018, 09:19 AM

Throttle is largely misunderstood. But if you have a specific log we can tell you if you have normal behavior or abnormal behavior you'll want to correct with JB4 EWG adjustments.


Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
Reply With Quote
(#5)
Old
Bullitt1841's Avatar
Bullitt1841 Bullitt1841 is offline
Demigod
 
Posts: 1,547
Join Date: Aug 2011
Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 09-29-2018, 05:45 PM

JB4 with EWG wires give you incredible amounts of control over the tuning and it's very easy to get rid of any throttle issues that may show up.


2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4 | BMS Meth Kit (Dual CM5) | BMS Intake | BMW 513M Wheels | Dinan Shockware

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
Reply With Quote
(#6)
Old
Snowman Snowman is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 272
Join Date: May 2017
Car: BMW M135I
Default 09-30-2018, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Throttle is largely misunderstood. But if you have a specific log we can tell you if you have normal behavior or abnormal behavior you'll want to correct with JB4 EWG adjustments.
I asked these questions because i was thinking of getting the JB4 and put it on the car.
However ive done some research now and there seems to be quite alot of reports of throttle closue issues when you combine JB4/tuning boxes and *****ted *********, which i intend of fitting.
So i will just wait for MHD to release their fix and stay away from JB4 at this point.
I have no intention of paying lots of money on a unit that causes my car to run jerky.
Reply With Quote
(#7)
Old
Bullitt1841's Avatar
Bullitt1841 Bullitt1841 is offline
Demigod
 
Posts: 1,547
Join Date: Aug 2011
Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 09-30-2018, 07:23 AM

Did you not read my post?


2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4 | BMS Meth Kit (Dual CM5) | BMS Intake | BMW 513M Wheels | Dinan Shockware

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
Reply With Quote
(#8)
Old
Terry @ BMS's Avatar
Terry @ BMS Terry @ BMS is online now
Tuner
 
Posts: 26,146
Join Date: Jan 2008
Default 09-30-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman
I asked these questions because i was thinking of getting the JB4 and put it on the car.
However ive done some research now and there seems to be quite alot of reports of throttle closue issues when you combine JB4/tuning boxes and *****ted *********, which i intend of fitting.
So i will just wait for MHD to release their fix and stay away from JB4 at this point.
I have no intention of paying lots of money on a unit that causes my car to run jerky.
So you don't have a JB4 yet nor a log of how your specific car is running but want me to provide you with "hypothetical" JB4 tuning advice? Generally, if running exhaust modifications you'll need to set FUA = 20 to offset dutycycle causing boost to go over target and corresponding excessive throttle closure.

In my testing the exhaust mods added zero power or benefit, I would not suggest them in most situations, whether tuning with JB4, flash tuning, or both.


Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
Reply With Quote
(#9)
Old
bavarianmw bavarianmw is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 12
Join Date: Aug 2018
Car: 17 320i, 16 M3 (outgoing), 18 340i (incoming)
Default 09-30-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt1841
JB4 with EWG wires give you incredible amounts of control over the tuning and it's very easy to get rid of any throttle issues that may show up.
Hey bullitt, do you mind looking at the logs / questions in my post history? I have a feeling I can get my p1pe setup tuned in better with the "control" you speak of, just I do not know what to try. It's already running pretty well on 11test, map 6, 16 lbs but I wonder if it could be even better. Only thing I've changed is FUA 10, just saw Terry suggested 20. Might try that.
Reply With Quote
(#10)
Old
jrdoming jrdoming is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 44
Join Date: Aug 2014
Car: 335i
Default 09-30-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
So you don't have a JB4 yet nor a log of how your specific car is running but want me to provide you with "hypothetical" JB4 tuning advice? Generally, if running exhaust modifications you'll need to set FUA = 20 to offset dutycycle causing boost to go over target and corresponding excessive throttle closure.

In my testing the exhaust mods added zero power or benefit, I would not suggest them in most situations, whether tuning with JB4, flash tuning, or both.
Terry is there ever a point where you *need* to modify your pipe/exhaust due to concern over exhaust gas temp etc? Much like the stage 2 "tunes" saying you need some type of aftermarket ******** to run them long term.


2017 340i M Sport. JB4
Reply With Quote
(#11)
Old
Snowman Snowman is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 272
Join Date: May 2017
Car: BMW M135I
Default 09-30-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
So you don't have a JB4 yet nor a log of how your specific car is running but want me to provide you with "hypothetical" JB4 tuning advice? Generally, if running exhaust modifications you'll need to set FUA = 20 to offset dutycycle causing boost to go over target and corresponding excessive throttle closure.

In my testing the exhaust mods added zero power or benefit, I would not suggest them in most situations, whether tuning with JB4, flash tuning, or both.
Yes i was interested in peoples general opinion with Jb4 and the B58 platform, perhaps im the only one that wants to know what to expect before buying this?
Or is that why there seems to be reviews or basicly every product available to purchase?

I'm not interested in power benefits with the *****, i want the added sound and a car that performs as before. So if adding a Jb4 would make the car run jerky, i would not be interested in it...

Had no idea that asking for opinions and peoples experience would be considered such a strange question
Reply With Quote
(#12)
Old
Snowman Snowman is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 272
Join Date: May 2017
Car: BMW M135I
Default 09-30-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt1841
Did you not read my post?
Oh yes i did.
However i've done some research now and there are more people with JB4 with or without dec@t that are experiencing jerky/lumpy power delivery during WOT than people with positive experiences.
So at this point im staying clear of JB4 until the results seem to be more clear.

The guy i bought the car from even had tried a JB4 on the M140 and the same unit on a 440i and a 320 B48, all cars behaved strangely with jerky power output during WOT.
I have no intention on forking out 600-700usd on something that makes the car worse. Im sure it will be resolved in the future, but until that point im staying away.
Reply With Quote
(#13)
Old
Nugs Nugs is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 395
Join Date: Apr 2013
Car: 2011 135i
Default 09-30-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdoming
Terry is there ever a point where you *need* to modify your pipe/exhaust due to concern over exhaust gas temp etc? Much like the stage 2 "tunes" saying you need some type of aftermarket ******** to run them long term.
I'm running a "stage 2" flash tune and a ** only got me an extra 10whp.
But I figure the reduced back pressure is better for the engine and turbo long term.
I have no data to back that up though.
Reply With Quote
(#14)
Old
JBoe JBoe is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 165
Join Date: May 2018
Car: M240i
Default 09-30-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman
Yes i was interested in peoples general opinion with Jb4 and the B58 platform, perhaps im the only one that wants to know what to expect before buying this?
Or is that why there seems to be reviews or basicly every product available to purchase?

I'm not interested in power benefits with the *****, i want the added sound and a car that performs as before. So if adding a Jb4 would make the car run jerky, i would not be interested in it...

Had no idea that asking for opinions and peoples experience would be considered such a strange question
I've been reading these boards for a bit now and haven't seen the issues you're referring to in any except when:
1) Users try to jump to higher maps without octane/fuel to support it.
2) Users don't have default settings prior to using the unit.
3) Users try to tune their car without posting logs for help and don't listen when help is provided.
4) Users don't allow FF to fully learn.
5) OBD cable issues.
6) User install issues and/or connector issues.
7) Rare few have had an issue with older boards. BMS provided free replacements in each instance I've read about.

After all that, what you tend to see are user issues. If you want a slap it on and go box... get JB+. You still have to let DME learn a bit, but user error side is removed if installed properly. If you want the most you can get, you'll need to tune.

That's what JB4 offers. It just happens to give you a few starting maps to build off of and from there you need to tune it in for more. This forum/BMS offer some of the best support I've ever seen for FREE! I've been building cars and tuning for years with Split Second, AEM, Emanage, Holley, Fast, etc. None of them offer map/log reviews and support for free.

It seems more like you came on the site with a negative agenda and nothing was going to change that. In the end, intentional or not, that's how it's coming off. It's your money and choice. My advice would be not to discredit the JB4 until you've actually tried it. Instead, ask your questions... get your answers... say thanks and move on. Complaining about something you haven't even tried, goes back to childish notions that benefit no one.
Reply With Quote
(#15)
Old
Snowman Snowman is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 272
Join Date: May 2017
Car: BMW M135I
Default 10-04-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoe
I've been reading these boards for a bit now and haven't seen the issues you're referring to in any except when:
1) Users try to jump to higher maps without octane/fuel to support it.
2) Users don't have default settings prior to using the unit.
3) Users try to tune their car without posting logs for help and don't listen when help is provided.
4) Users don't allow FF to fully learn.
5) OBD cable issues.
6) User install issues and/or connector issues.
7) Rare few have had an issue with older boards. BMS provided free replacements in each instance I've read about.

After all that, what you tend to see are user issues. If you want a slap it on and go box... get JB+. You still have to let DME learn a bit, but user error side is removed if installed properly. If you want the most you can get, you'll need to tune.

That's what JB4 offers. It just happens to give you a few starting maps to build off of and from there you need to tune it in for more. This forum/BMS offer some of the best support I've ever seen for FREE! I've been building cars and tuning for years with Split Second, AEM, Emanage, Holley, Fast, etc. None of them offer map/log reviews and support for free.

It seems more like you came on the site with a negative agenda and nothing was going to change that. In the end, intentional or not, that's how it's coming off. It's your money and choice. My advice would be not to discredit the JB4 until you've actually tried it. Instead, ask your questions... get your answers... say thanks and move on. Complaining about something you haven't even tried, goes back to childish notions that benefit no one.

You are just so full of **** that it makes me laugh out loud while reading your post.
I assume you have not read any of my posts?
Do you seriously think that i have been at this forum since early 2017 and made 271 posts about how bad JB4 is?
If i would have been bashing JB4 nonstop for 271 posts i would surely and rightfully have been thrown out from here.

I have had Jb4 or 3 different cars, N55 EWG, VAG EA888.3 and N54, all with great success.
I'm aware the B58 is a brand new engine with a new and advanced DME, which is why im asking these questions, which would be common sense for ANYONE.
Who doesnt research a larger investment or that might affect a larger investment?

I'm well aware of the ups and downs with the Jb4 in general. But since the B58 is a new engine im also aware that ANY product will have to be adapted for the new usage. If one would compare the initial software release of the B58 Jb4 with where we are today, im sure there would be a large diffrence and BMS will surely continue updating the software and algorithms inside the JB4 adding more features and performance along the road.

To my knowledge MHD is working on the same tool that was used to unlock and flash the F-series N55, for the B58.
Once that is released im sure it wont be long untill BMS has released a BEF that will unlock the full potential of the B58+Jb4 combo.
Untill that happends or im 100% that the Jb4 will provide a smooth power delivery, i wont be buying a JB4.

Also in general i would agree about the BMS support. However in the B58 case i asked some questions in the FAQ thread, that were just basic questions. They all got overlooked until i got tired of waiting for a proper answer from any staff, even though they posted several times in that thread. Now i have received a reply on my questions, that was however from a forum member and not from anyone from BMS.
If i just could have gotten a reply on the questions that i initially asked, i could have bought a jb4..

Also im fairly sure that the issues my friend experienced with Jb4 and the M140, 440 and B48 320 could have been corrected with EWG-wires and newer software. But the fact is that the issue with jerky power delivery is still there and the Jb4, as it is priced currently, would cost more than a MHD unlock+flash, while not really adding much benefits except the possibilty to change boost settings on the fly.
Reply With Quote
(#16)
Old
Bullitt1841's Avatar
Bullitt1841 Bullitt1841 is offline
Demigod
 
Posts: 1,547
Join Date: Aug 2011
Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 10-04-2018, 03:30 PM

You need a serious attitude adjustment if you want people to listen to you here. This is not E90post.


2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4 | BMS Meth Kit (Dual CM5) | BMS Intake | BMW 513M Wheels | Dinan Shockware

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
Reply With Quote
(#17)
Old
Terry @ BMS's Avatar
Terry @ BMS Terry @ BMS is online now
Tuner
 
Posts: 26,146
Join Date: Jan 2008
Default 10-04-2018, 04:29 PM

If you add in a d@wnpipe the stock tuning will not be as smooth. You can mostly tune that out with a JB4 + EWG connection. My advice, just skip the d@wnpipe all together. As to the JB4 it's easy to try. If you're not happy with it then return it or resell it and move on to the next option. But coming in and trying to lecture guys here (myself included) who drive and tune B58s daily, seems like a waste of everyone's time.


Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
Reply With Quote
(#18)
Old
jbourne jbourne is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 9
Join Date: Feb 2018
Car: F30 320i B48
Default 10-04-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
If you add in a d@wnpipe the stock tuning will not be as smooth. You can mostly tune that out with a JB4 + EWG connection. My advice, just skip the d@wnpipe all together. As to the JB4 it's easy to try. If you're not happy with it then return it or resell it and move on to the next option. But coming in and trying to lecture guys here (myself included) who drive and tune B58s daily, seems like a waste of everyone's time.
uh oh,, so, I own 320i B48, does adding a custom c@tless d@wnpipe is a bad idea? i've been using both (jb4 + custom c@tless d@wnpipe) on map3 since the beginning.. can you please clarify on this?
Reply With Quote
(#19)
Old
dRDiesel's Avatar
dRDiesel dRDiesel is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 90
Join Date: Apr 2018
Car: BMW
Default 10-05-2018, 09:40 AM

i have a CG c@tted and never experience throttle closures. I know the c@tless experience this more and it can be adjusted with the EWG pigtail.


|2018 BMW 340i|M-sport|Track Pack|
|M Performance exhaust|CG 5" catted|BMS intake|JB4 Map 5|
Reply With Quote
(#20)
Old
Terry @ BMS's Avatar
Terry @ BMS Terry @ BMS is online now
Tuner
 
Posts: 26,146
Join Date: Jan 2008
Default 10-05-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbourne
uh oh,, so, I own 320i B48, does adding a custom c@tless d@wnpipe is a bad idea? i've been using both (jb4 + custom c@tless d@wnpipe) on map3 since the beginning.. can you please clarify on this?
With the B48 the gains are probably lower than the B58, which are already really tiny. But if you need tuning help post a log and we'll help you sort it. Using the EWG connector you can easily tune out throttle closure from exhaust mods.


Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
Reply With Quote
(#21)
Old
JBoe JBoe is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 165
Join Date: May 2018
Car: M240i
Default 10-05-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt1841
You need a serious attitude adjustment if you want people to listen to you here. This is not E90post.
Thank you, sir. He kinda proved my point. It's unfortunate written correspondence tends to reflect the reader's emotional take. I didn't mean to offend... only advise how it read. Again... my take on his words. Sometimes I just shouldn't post. Lol.
Reply With Quote
(#22)
Old
jbourne jbourne is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 9
Join Date: Feb 2018
Car: F30 320i B48
Default 10-05-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
With the B48 the gains are probably lower than the B58, which are already really tiny. But if you need tuning help post a log and we'll help you sort it. Using the EWG connector you can easily tune out throttle closure from exhaust mods.
okay, gonna make log and post later, see if i'm gonna need EWG after. thanks Terry.
Reply With Quote
(#23)
Old
kyleralph078 kyleralph078 is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 24
Join Date: Oct 2018
Car: bmw m140i
Default 10-16-2018, 11:28 AM

sorry to hijack the post but I'm just wondering if anyone could log at some logs? I'm having some issues and just curious if its something obvious I've done or some settings to change? not on here to badmouth or be negative just genuinely need some help here. any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

kind regards
kyle
Reply With Quote
(#24)
Old
dRDiesel's Avatar
dRDiesel dRDiesel is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 90
Join Date: Apr 2018
Car: BMW
Default 10-17-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleralph078
sorry to hijack the post but I'm just wondering if anyone could log at some logs? I'm having some issues and just curious if its something obvious I've done or some settings to change? not on here to badmouth or be negative just genuinely need some help here. any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

kind regards
kyle
You can make a thread and post the logs here and someone will get back to you quicker rather then in here: https://www.n54tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46


|2018 BMW 340i|M-sport|Track Pack|
|M Performance exhaust|CG 5" catted|BMS intake|JB4 Map 5|
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright 2007 - 2018, N54tech.com