N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default hesitation issue/ please review logs - 02-05-2019, 12:38 PM

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a brand new JB4 and installed it and noted hesitation issues when rolling into throttle. So to verify if it was the JB4 causing any issue, i selected map 0 and still seeing the hesitation. No check engine lights ever popped up and using the JB4 to check for any codes, i didn't have any. Car is a stock 07 335i with only an upgraded ER charge pipe.
So the other night i did a log (Map 0) and managed to capture the hesitation as i rolled into the throttle. I'm nowhere near an expert so can someone please check the log and see if anything jumps out as to what the issue could be?
One thing i noticed is I'm seeing more than stock boost levels, the boost looks to be all over the place in the 3400-3800 range, same with ign1 and trims in the same area.

Thanks!
Rube
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-02-02 21_08_41.csv (8.6 KB, 68 views)
(#2)
Old

Default 02-05-2019, 12:48 PM

just some more info on the car. 109k miles, the previous owner gave me some BNW invoices which showed the turbos were replaced at 78k miles. no wastegate rattle
Bosch plugs, delphi coils and new index 12 injectors (i coded them as well) were installed by me about 6k miles ago, when i first got the car.
(#3)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Vert (E93, N54)
Default 02-05-2019, 04:00 PM

I believe I see the 'blip' on line 24 and 25, looking at the "Throttle". Very brief.
The "Pedal" doesn't show any release.

AFR jumps immediately prior. We're talking only 200ms.
The blip is also reflected in the RPM.

So, Pedal steady, Throttle drops from 48 to 15, then spikes to 68.
Ignition drops from 15 to 1.5. Expected.

Basically, everything responds to corroborate your observed symptom.
Hard to say which is the initiating factor is based on the log. The AFR is the only field that precedes the Throttle blip.

I can't see traction control being related, as you are barely on it.

---

Well, looking at your boost, you are WAY OVER... I should have started there.
You have to figure out why your target is 1.8 and you are pushing 12.9 PSI. When target is 8, you are over 13 PSI.

Check all your settings against the Stickies.
This is Map 0. You should see no difference than w/o the JB4.
Test on Map 4 (Safety Map) and see if you are still wildly Over Target.

Enable 6 Cyl timing. (though the Target and Boost is what the focus is at this time)

** EDIT ** Also verify the FW is the latest (even though new, confirm)
Could there have been a BEF (Back End Flash) installed w/o your knowledge prior to you buying?

Did you get to drive this for a while prior to installing the JB4?

2008 335i Convertible, E93, N54, A/T (200,000+ km)
Wheels: 322 | Tires: R.275/35r18, F.245/40r18
TUNE: JB4/Trebila | 24 PSI | 100% Meth via dual CM5 | 94 Octane
BMS: JB4, Map 6 | WMI | 5" FMIC | OCC | DCI | Cowel Filters
RB: Inlets | PCV Valve
VRSF: DiPis | CP
HKS BOV
xHP Stage 3
NGK-97506 @ .020

Maintenance:
2018 - A/T Replaced | Ign Coils | Walnut Blast
2019 - Index 12 Injectors | VCG | OFHG & O-rings | TStat
2020 - OPG | Battery | IBS | Water Pump | Plugs | Alternator
(#4)
Old

Default 02-05-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codesx
I believe I see the 'blip' on line 24 and 25, looking at the "Throttle". Very brief.
The "Pedal" doesn't show any release.

AFR jumps immediately prior. We're talking only 200ms.
The blip is also reflected in the RPM.

So, Pedal steady, Throttle drops from 48 to 15, then spikes to 68.
Ignition drops from 15 to 1.5. Expected.

Basically, everything responds to corroborate your observed symptom.
Hard to say which is the initiating factor is based on the log. The AFR is the only field that precedes the Throttle blip.

I can't see traction control being related, as you are barely on it.

---

Well, looking at your boost, you are WAY OVER... I should have started there.
You have to figure out why your target is 1.8 and you are pushing 12.9 PSI. When target is 8, you are over 13 PSI.

Check all your settings against the Stickies.
This is Map 0. You should see no difference than w/o the JB4.
Test on Map 4 (Safety Map) and see if you are still wildly Over Target.

Enable 6 Cyl timing. (though the Target and Boost is what the focus is at this time)

** EDIT ** Also verify the FW is the latest (even though new, confirm)
Could there have been a BEF (Back End Flash) installed w/o your knowledge prior to you buying?
Did you get to drive this for a while prior to installing the JB4?
Thanks for looking and responding! The car was bone stock when I bought it but Now Iím wondering if maybe a Cobb tune could have been installed? I doubt it but not sure how i could even check that.
I should mention that on my very first drive after the jb4 install that the car just didnít feel right in map 1 or 5. I didnít receive any check engine light but using the jb4 I had this code
2AB4 DME Internal error: RAM-checksum
I cleared it and it never came back. I think Iíll probably physically remove the jb4 just to rule out any issues with the wiring or pins and also check the boost solenoids and related vacuum lines to rule those out.
(#5)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 02-05-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube23
Thanks for looking and responding! The car was bone stock when I bought it but Now Iím wondering if maybe a Cobb tune could have been installed? I doubt it but not sure how i could even check that.
I should mention that on my very first drive after the jb4 install that the car just didnít feel right in map 1 or 5. I didnít receive any check engine light but using the jb4 I had this code
2AB4 DME Internal error: RAM-checksum
I cleared it and it never came back. I think Iíll probably physically remove the jb4 just to rule out any issues with the wiring or pins and also check the boost solenoids and related vacuum lines to rule those out.
What is your menu 4 set to?

Make sure itís set to 4/3 since you do not have the BEF.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Default 02-06-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
What is your menu 4 set to?

Make sure itís set to 4/3 since you do not have the BEF.
Yes the menu 4 is set to 4/3. Iím Not sure if it makes a difference when map is set to 0 however as the Attached log is at map 0. Is it possible a boost solenoid or hose going bad could cause overboost issues? I havenít looked yet but Iím going to check the condition of then vac lines and vac reservoir and boost solenoids. Iíll report back
If someone else has any thoughts upon reviewing the log please let me know.
Thanks !
(#7)
Old

Car: e92 335iA
Default 02-11-2019, 05:56 AM

I had a similar issue while car was responding with a delay or rather not building the boost right of the line and it turned out to be vanos solenoid related... and it was not giving any codes at the early stage...
later it went into blimp mode and caused vanos intake, intake cam position and boost faults to come on...
Perhaps it may be an exhaust solenoid in your case causing too much of cams overlap? If you don't know their condition I'd still take them out, clean&swap them just to rule it out... it had a very positive effect on my previous ride (N53 engine) by smoothing the idle substantially... it is like 30min max procedure...
(#8)
Old

Default 02-11-2019, 07:38 PM

Problem was one of the boost solenoids was operating intermittently when i tested them. Replaced both all is well now. Thanks for the help !
(#9)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-11-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Problem was one of the boost solenoids was operating intermittently when i tested them. Replaced both all is well now. Thanks for the help !
Solved? Great- time to turn things up???

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#10)
Old

Default 02-12-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Solved? Great- time to turn things up???
Yes sir. Soon as funds are available lol !
(#11)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-12-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Yes sir. Soon as funds are available lol !

Burger Motorsports