N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Vintage

Car: F10 N55 PWG
Default N55 PWG V2 board update and new No power-wire harness - 11-23-2018, 07:36 PM

Hey guys, so i was one of the F10 N55 pwg guys who would get a random CEL and battery discharge message when the car sat for a few days.
CEL was from short to ground codes alot of us got on the old harness and board.

Been testing the newer N55 PWG V2 board with revised power setup and the updated harness which has the power wire integrated into the harness now.

I am happy to say, after a full summer of driving, it has worked flawlessly!
No more CEL and short to ground codes!

Wanna Thank Terry for the help fixing this issue and also Ando!

V2 F series N55 PWG board (labeled Rev. 4)
IMG_6123 by 5soko, on Flickr

New harness with power wire integrated for cleaner insall:
IMG_8740 by 5soko, on Flickr

IMG_0499 by 5soko, on Flickr

How has everybody else experience been with the new board?

2014 F10 535i N55 PWG
(#2)
Old

Car: 2013 535i (N55 F10)
Default 11-23-2018, 10:41 PM

I swapped mine in April, I was getting short to ground issues, and not a single one with the new board.

2013 F10 535i N55 PWG, Pure Stage 2, Wagner FMIC, ER Charge pipe, ER **, BMS Intake, JB4, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP, Fuel-It Platinum PI Kit, BootMod3 Flash, Remus Exhaust, Custom In-let, N20 TMAP.
1999 e36 M3 - Track Car
(#3)
Old
Vintage

Default 11-25-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-MCRacer
I swapped mine in April, I was getting short to ground issues, and not a single one with the new board.
Excellent! Sounds like this issue has been fully resolved!

Do you run the jb4 bluetooth connect with the new board?

2014 F10 535i N55 PWG
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-25-2018, 09:38 PM

The revised V2 PWG system took care of a lot of the little headaches the V1 PWG system had.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Car: 335
Default 11-25-2018, 09:54 PM

So are all boards sold now the V2?
I noticed on the BMS website there is no flex fuel wires for sale, does that mean V2 has integrated FF wires?
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-25-2018, 10:07 PM

Yes all PWG boards are V2 style, and all JB4 systems include fuel pressure wires. The fuel pressure add on wire for older models is still on our site, on the upgrades page, under add on connector drop down menu.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Car: 2013 535i (N55 F10)
Default 11-25-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko
Excellent! Sounds like this issue has been fully resolved!

Do you run the jb4 bluetooth connect with the new board?
Yes, I run the Rev 3 Bluetooth Connect.

2013 F10 535i N55 PWG, Pure Stage 2, Wagner FMIC, ER Charge pipe, ER **, BMS Intake, JB4, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP, Fuel-It Platinum PI Kit, BootMod3 Flash, Remus Exhaust, Custom In-let, N20 TMAP.
1999 e36 M3 - Track Car
(#8)
Old
Vintage

Default 11-26-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-MCRacer
Yes, I run the Rev 3 Bluetooth Connect.
Sounds great.. I havent added mine yet, as i wanted a clean board to start with to make sure the short to ground code were really gone with the V2.

Great to know that the REv 3 bluetooth connect works perfect with the V2 board.

2014 F10 535i N55 PWG
(#9)
Old

Car: 2011 535i M-Sport
Default 11-30-2018, 12:53 PM

I was looking into upgrading if the ISO gets reverted back to integrated. I see on the website that "Older harness require power wire relocate"

How does the new board integrate with the older harness/power wire?

2011 535i M-Sport - MHD Stage 2+ BEF w/ JB4 (logging), xHP Stage 3, BMS Intake, FMIC, ER Chargepipe, RM Motors catted d/p, Megan Racing Supremo Exhaust
(#10)
Old

Car: 2012 n55 135i
Default 12-14-2018, 05:51 PM

I just received my new board (rev4). I also ordered the fuel pressure wires but wasn’t sure they are needed for my car: 2012 e82 N55.

I’ve already moved the power wire to the boost solenoid harness but wanted to know if I need to hook up the fuel pressure harness and, if yes, what pin positions do the new wires go into?

I also have the rev3 BT adapter on my JB4.
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-14-2018, 10:00 PM

There are fuel pressure connection install directions linked around somewhere, maybe on our website. Most harnesses have them. Sure you don't already?

Not required but suggested.

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Default 12-15-2018, 04:23 AM

Terry, my JB4 and harness (B) are older and I recently had some weird intermittent glitches so I figured I'd treat myself to an upgrade.

My harness is exactly as per your JB4 installation pdf v. 6/8/17 on your website: http://www.burgertuning.com/instructions/n55_stage1.pdf

4 connectors: TMAP- used, MAP- recently disconnected, MAF- never used, Boost- always used. Fuel pressure is not part of my original harness.

I don't see any info on how to connect the fuel pressure harness on your website (ewg wires, yes, but I don't need that).

Thank you for the quick response

******* Never mind****** Further googling shows that the Flex Fuel Wires are now the Fuel Pressure Wires

instructions here (not found on the BMS site but through a forum): http://www.burgertuning.com/instruct...el_Install.pdf

This explains why my HPFP numbers are always fairly constant, despite changing demands from my PS1 at 17psi.

Last edited by drwillb; 12-15-2018 at 05:18 AM..
(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-15-2018, 12:02 PM

Oh OK I see now, yes it's pretty old! Attach the harness.

Yes without fuel pressure connector the fuel pressure in logs won't short properly.

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old

Default 01-09-2019, 07:45 AM

Prior to Christmas, I ordered the latest JB4 board, a new boost solenoid wire (my connector broke), and the fuel pressure sensor wires. I had bought my JB4 from these forums in 2016, shortly after buying my car and I didn't know much about the 1er at that point. Turns out I had a Stage 2 v1 board running my n55.

I'm glad to say I now have the n55 PWG v4 board with the fuel pressure sensor wires my harness was missing. I also removed the MAP and MAF wires since they were no longer needed, ran the JB4 +12v wire to the boost solenoid, and ran a +5v wire out for the bluetooth adapter. All was neatly packed in wire sleeving and heat shrink was used to keep things tidy.

I had bought the crimper and pin remover needed to work on the D-sub connector found on the JB4 harness but neither worked. The wire used on the harness is too thick so the pin removal tool will not work. Also, crimping new pins onto the thicker gauge wire required cutting a few strands of the copper conductor in order to make it work. I put the project aside for a week then found a D-sub connector on Amazon that uses screws to retain each wire. It's a little bigger but saved lots of headaches and cursing.

That problem solved, I then addressed the other annoying thing on the harness. The connector for the boost solenoid does not use sealed pins and is not waterproof as all factory BMW connectors. It may not seem like an absolute necessity but my 4 month old boost solenoid already had corrosion on both pins. I wire brushed those clean and then applied dielectric grease to protect them. The new fuel pressure wires from BMS were of the proper waterproof type but the old TMAP and new boost solenoid connectors were not. I used black RTV silicone to seal these up.

Prior to cutting the wires off the old D-sub, I made a diagram with wire-pin relationships. I'm glad to say that the car started right up and nothing got fried. I admit I was holding my breath and kept my fingers crossed.
Attached Images

(#15)
Old

Car: 13 f30 335i
Default 01-29-2019, 07:52 PM

I just swapped my board with the new V2 and relocated the power wire to the looped solenoid one and car has no boost at all with drivertrain malfunction error now. Boost gauge in the app doesn't read anything and everything else reads fine.
Attached Images

F30 PWG PS2 + WMI + MHD Bef/JB4 + VRSF FBO + N20TMAP. MPPK, MPE, MP-Susp, MP-Brakes, 437M, MP-Lip, MP-Diffuser, MP-Spoiler, MP-Rocker Panel, MP-Sills, MP-Pedals, MP-Grille, MP-Mats, IND Reflector.

Last edited by Yoandry; 01-30-2019 at 07:19 AM..
(#16)
Old

Default 01-30-2019, 03:35 AM

I’ve been getting intermittent low or no boost conditions since I did the solenoid wire loop tap for power. Always went away when I cycled the ignition but I just spent 4 days with low boost (3 psi) then, all of a sudden, while driving home last night, I got my normal boost levels back.

Also, I occasionally get a stumble in engine rpm while driving at very low pedal input. Like just off coasting/idle.
(#17)
Old

Car: 13 f30 335i
Default 01-30-2019, 07:31 AM

Im driving with below 1psi per the logs. When I swapped my board I didn't know about the power relocated and I installed with the regular 12v I had before. I changed to solenoid after one run but I'm still with no boost no matter where the 12v is coming from. Not sure why the 12v solenoid is better that the regular one. Hopefully Terry can figure it this one out.

Updates: Its working now. It was the 3.5bar TMAP sensor disable.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-01-30 09_02_41.csv (5.6 KB, 110 views)

F30 PWG PS2 + WMI + MHD Bef/JB4 + VRSF FBO + N20TMAP. MPPK, MPE, MP-Susp, MP-Brakes, 437M, MP-Lip, MP-Diffuser, MP-Spoiler, MP-Rocker Panel, MP-Sills, MP-Pedals, MP-Grille, MP-Mats, IND Reflector.

Last edited by Yoandry; 01-30-2019 at 05:06 PM..