N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: BMW E93 335i Msport
Default N54 Misfire!! Help!!!! - 12-27-2020, 05:30 AM

Hi All,

This is my first post in this forum as a new N54 owner. Previous BMW's were E46 330ci, E53 4.4i v8 Msport, E60 535d Msport. I have now become the owner of my favourite BMW so far, a 2009 E93 335i DCT Msport in space grey.
I have a couple of niggles with the car which annoy me the first of which I am posting here for advice, suggestions and wise words from all. Since I have owned the car I have installed a Ramair DCI and a forge charge pipe with Forge BOV and done the golf tee mod. The problem occurred the other day when driving down the motorway, I had started at home with a cold engine and I was going to travel approx 25miles to go shopping. We started from home and drove the four miles to the motor nicely as the wife hates it if I go fast etc. All good so far, got on the motorway where speed is limited to 50mph (av. speed cams). I set the cruise at 52mph. Approx 15miles in car was clearly fully warm with oil temp indicated at about 110-115 deg C the car starts to misfire really bad. I decide to go on and to the shopping centre and look at the codes with Carly.

Carly reads:
0029D1 Misfiring, Cylinder 5
Freeze-frame data:-
Motortemperatur (Engine temperature ): 90 deg C
Lastwert Feur Aussetzererkennung (Load value fire dropout detection ): 23%
Motordrehzahl (Engine speed ): 1728 rpm
Lambda Integrator Gruppe 2 (Lambda Integrator Group 2): 6%

Codes then cleared and commence shopping, finish shopping and car has cooled for about 2hrs. Car started and sounds and feels normal so start back home down the same bit of motorway in cruise control at 52mph, misfiring starts again about 7 miles from home. Ordered new spark plugs as I don't know when they were changed anyway and put six new Bosch ZGR6STE2 in and moved the coil pack from cylinder 5 to cylinder 2. Repeated the trip exactly down the motorway as before and the car starts misfiring again, I was expecting that cylinder 2 would now be the culprit so did a u-turn and went home and read the codes

Carly reads:
0029D2 Misfiring, Cylinder 6
Freeze-frame data:-
Motortemperatur (Engine temperature ): 90 deg C
Lastwert Feur Aussetzererkennung (Load value fire dropout detection ): 33%
Motordrehzahl (Engine speed ): 1568 rpm
Lambda Integrator Gruppe 2 (Lambda Integrator Group 2): 10%

I have ordered now but not fitted yet six new coils Delphi GN10571-12B1 that I will change anyway so I know they are good.
So now looking for more input from you guys due to being new to this engine
Any ideas? Thanks and sorry for the long post!