N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default BMS Cowl Filters - 08-06-2013, 04:11 PM

Can you spot the small engine bay accessory Burger labs is whipping up?

http://www.burgertuning.com/cowl_fil...w_135_335.html
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old

Car: 335XI
Default 08-06-2013, 04:26 PM

Bolt-on cabin air filters?
(#3)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 08-06-2013, 04:45 PM

in before dirty dog orders the first set for Oz
(#4)
Old

Car: 08 535xi
Default 08-06-2013, 05:00 PM

T, how much cooler does this keep under hood temps down by removing the cowls (any tests done?)? Will the a/c be not as cool in summer heat?
also will these be charcoal activated like oem?
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-06-2013, 05:12 PM

Hehe just posted this on the other forum:

I've had the cowls off our various development cars for years. Easier to hear what is going on in the engine bay from the drivers seat, better cooling, less weight, and easier access to the DME box & plugs. But every now and again a leaf will fall in or some water splash in and condense on the windshield. So these little mini vent filters are meant to help prevent that. They look a bit nicer too.

Testing them on our shop cars now and if all goes well we will move it over to production.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 08-06-2013, 05:35 PM

Looks promising

Now to test these on my ( our ) 5 series

Just let me know

2008 BMW 535i
JB4 G5, BMS Pump Flash, ( Updated FW ), DCI,
Eisenmann Race Exhaust
ER CP
E60 DP
450 HP / 480 TQ ( when running AEM 320, 50% E85 )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51z_sELokzk
(#7)
Old

Car: 08' 135i
Default 08-06-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Dirt? haha, j/k

I seem to keep getting windshield condensation that is driving me nuts. I alsways have to keep wiping my windshield every night when i get off work with a microfiber because of this. Maybe this will help?

Thanks.
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-06-2013, 06:11 PM

Yes it will!

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-06-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer
Looks promising

Now to test these on my ( our ) 5 series

Just let me know
We could try it but I think 535s are too classy to roll around without their cowl.

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old
E90post reject

Car: Overpriced Econo Box
Default 08-06-2013, 06:33 PM

Attached Images

My friend died doin what He loved,Heroin.
(#11)
Old
E90post reject

Default 08-06-2013, 06:39 PM

I wont have to worry about leaves getting into the ac fan/heater blower and make those annoying ticking sound at low speed when I get those installed.
Awesome idea, T.

Last edited by BMWpurist; 08-06-2013 at 06:45 PM..
(#12)
Old

Car: 2008 E92
Default 08-06-2013, 06:53 PM

Great idea, love it!

2008 Sparking Graphite 335i 6MT Coupe - JB4/FFTEC
2007 Montego Blue 335i 6AT Sedan
(#13)
Old
E90post reject

Default 08-06-2013, 06:55 PM

When are they going to be available?

(#14)
Old

Car: 2007 e90 335i
Default 08-06-2013, 07:16 PM

Sign me up when can I buy a set?
(#15)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-06-2013, 07:48 PM

We'll test them for a week on our development cars and then go from there. I'll update you guys when I have more info.

Burger Motorsports

(#16)
Old

Car: 09 E90 335i
Default 08-06-2013, 08:11 PM

just bought the m3 cowl/filters for the same reason :D
(#17)
Old

Car: 2009 535i
Default 08-06-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWpurist
Now that's funny ... I don't care what anybody says! (The cartoon)

2009 535i Sport, Jet Black | Cobb Stage 2 ST Aggressive | Injen DCI | AR DP's | BMS Led Angel Eyes | BMS Thermostat | Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
2008 528i (Retired)
2006 328ci (Retired)
1975 US Army (Retired)
(#18)
Old

Car: 09 E90
Default 08-06-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTZ1010
just bought the m3 cowl/filters for the same reason :D
What do the M3 cowls look like?

Quote:
Can it be made with a small hood to keep debris and water out.?
(#19)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 08-06-2013, 09:50 PM

I would have never thought of making something like this, great idea. I'll buy a set for sure once they're out. Whenever I have the hood popped at least one person asks what I've got screwed in above the motor.

E92 BMW 335i - Single Turbo BW S366 | '92 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - Single Turbo | roycormier.net | My YouTube channel

If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn....... Then, you have enough horsepower.
(#20)
Old
Demigod

Car: 2007 335i
Default 08-06-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Hehe just posted this on the other forum:

I've had the cowls off our various development cars for years. Easier to hear what is going on in the engine bay from the drivers seat, better cooling, less weight, and easier access to the DME box & plugs. But every now and again a leaf will fall in or some water splash in and condense on the windshield. So these little mini vent filters are meant to help prevent that. They look a bit nicer too.

Testing them on our shop cars now and if all goes well we will move it over to production.
Forget testing, I want 2 pair now!!!! I have been wanting this for a while now...I run without a cowl unless it rains.

JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR ***, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsort, Delrin solid subfrane bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
(#21)
Old
Demigod

Car: 2007 335i
Default 08-06-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum996
T, how much cooler does this keep under hood temps down by removing the cowls (any tests done?)? Will the a/c be not as cool in summer heat?
also will these be charcoal activated like oem?
I have seen a drop of 10 degree on oil temps....run with your cowl off and feel your windshield wipers...lot of heat comes out.

JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR ***, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsort, Delrin solid subfrane bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
(#22)
Old

Car: n54 TOOPL3SS
Default 08-06-2013, 10:58 PM

im down to give this a shot
(#23)
Old

Car: F30+ boosted E36/7
Default 08-07-2013, 07:17 AM

My concern would be wind noise/aerodynamics. Isn't that a major function of the cowl? I think some 80+mph testing is in order
(#24)
Old

Car: 135i N55 DCT
Default 08-07-2013, 07:30 AM

what about washing the car or something with a hose?

maybe should put some upper visor like shield to protect it furthermore from water damage?
it will just let it slide around and drip down to the engine when it rains

135i N55 / KW V3 / CP-E charge pipe / CP-E 5" DP / CP-E 7" FMIC / JB4 S2 / MHD / K&N inbox / Custom made 3.25" catback / Tons of other mods
(#25)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 08-07-2013, 08:06 AM

Didn't someone blow their AC running without the cowl? You are pulling in hot engine bay air and trying to cool it versus pulling in cooler outside air via the cowl induction.