N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 E90 335i
Default Can I run 87 Octane in an emergency? - 09-17-2017, 02:09 PM

Hello all, I have a 2008 335i running a JB4 here in Florida. During Hurricane Irma it was hard to find gas and impossible to find anything above 87 Octane. Is it safe to run 87 Octane in my N54? Is there a safer map to run other than map 0?
(#2)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 09-17-2017, 02:15 PM

During Matthew last year I was mixing 87 and whatever else was available. Used boost gear limits to try to stay out of boost too. No idea if it was safe, do what you have to.

2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread
(#3)
Old

Car: 07 335i
Default 09-17-2017, 03:55 PM

Yes you can use 87. The reason we run premium is the anti-pre-detonation additives, which only happens when a bunch of fuel is dumped into a bunch of air and compressed, e.g. at high throttle. Don't drag race people while on 87 and you'll be fine. I think you'd be fine anyway since the DME uses knock sensors to detect and then eliminate predetonation. The only real drawback (imo) is lower power when you're accelerating at maybe 2/3 throttle or more.
(#4)
Old

Car: 335i 6MT RWD
Default 09-17-2017, 06:51 PM

Yep I'd think just stay out of boost and don't worry about it.
(#5)
Old

Car: 535ix
Default 09-18-2017, 05:39 AM

No problem, just drive it easy. We had/have the same issues here in Houston finding premium. Getting much better though.
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-18-2017, 02:49 PM

Sure just go to map4 and avoid going full throttle.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Car: 2008 E90 335i
Default 09-19-2017, 05:34 AM

Thanks for the info everybody! That's one less thing to stress about.