N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2011 535xi
Default Bought a AFE Scorcher for my F10 535xi - 01-03-2015, 07:19 AM

Figured id toss a limited review up installing the AFE Scorcher on a 100% bone stock 2011 535xi... I was torn between "something cheap for a few hp" and "going all out with the JB4 and lots of mods", but decided im likely going to trade this in for a 550 in a year or so, so I didnt want to get too deep into mods id never get my money back out of, or spend countless thousands chasing high 12s if im lucky when the last 6 cars ive owned were in the 10s.

With all that in mind, my buddy's shop ended up being an AFE dealer, and he had one of these sitting on the shelf for my car that he really wanted to get rid of since he mostly does trucks, so the impulsive buyer inside got the best of me. At first, I was very skeptical because there are even less proven dynos with the AFE than there are with the JB4s for my car (which means instead of 1 or 2, there are just none), but I figured if it makes it a bit more fun to drive around town, im game!

Install took 3 minutes if you include zip ties, which comprised of removing the air box (loosen the main airbox/tube clamp then pull the box out of the way), installing the two harnesses, then reinstalling the air box and zip tying the module out of the way. Start it up and you get the blue LED if you did it right... if you screwed it up, get the largest hammer you can find, smack yourself in the head a couple times with it, then remove the box it all and pay someone else to do it.

I took it around the block and noticed absolutely nothing. No flash, no flair, nothing neat, no sweet noises... but I completely expected that and figured if the PCM randomly saw more boost it would have to adjust, or it would get pissed and throw in some knock retard, so I just took a couple drives and had fun. Id say after about 50 miles you started to really feel the difference. Was it night and day? ehh not really... but the first couple gears you really feel that turbo hit! I need to get something to datalog whats really going on, and maybe install a boost gauge to see what the computer is doing to boost and timing, but overall between stomping on the gas, and rolling into the throttle, you can definitely feel a difference in how the car accelerates. Biggest difference that I enjoy is rolling into the throttle after it shifts into 2nd as you can really feel the torque build, where when stock it was quite boring. Id say up top it was a negligible difference in power, but ive heard from a few people these N55 turbos get maxed out pretty quickly in the upper RPM range. The unfortunate part is the power also tends to be pretty inconsistent with sometimes the downshift hitting very hard, and other times not quite so impressive, which im sure is also to be expected with a piggy back since the computer ultimately wants to keep the car safe. Id imagine if I had 93 octane instead of 91, it would probably stay off the knock sensors better and give me more timing, but im still learning about these computers. No audible knock at all, which is good... so at least its likely somewhat safe.

As far as future plans, id really like to get this thing to the dyno. My buddy's shop is moving right now and hes the only AWD dyno I want to use, but when hes all done, I will likely make a couple visits so I can do a true before and after with giving the PCM time to learn this thing. Id probably just be depressed if I went to the drag strip, but one of my friends has a Pontiac G8 GT I need to beat, so that might be the motivation I need to go and do some before and after there.

As far as being worth the money... its hard to say without real results. Seat of the pants feeling, its more fun to drive now, but I wouldnt say its day and night faster by any means other than spirited low gear driving. I will say the module didnt affect daily driving or fuel economy at all, or to my knowledge cause any negative effects to the car. The matching AFE intake does look very nice, but for the money it costs and the likely gains of zero, I dont think I will be purchasing it.

I havent decided if im going to keep it, or sell it and go JB4, or just sell it and stay stock since it wasnt exactly earth shattering gains (im still skeptical about the JB4 as well), but if someone on here wants to send me a JB4 id be happy to do the back to back comparisons, get the dynos done on stock / AFE / JB4 without anything else done to the car, and also try the E85 stuff out since its plentiful here. I guess stay tuned for if I someday decide to get the dyno and track stuff going

Last edited by FenixMike; 01-03-2015 at 07:25 AM..
(#2)
Old

Car: 07 BMW 335
Default 01-03-2015, 08:07 AM

Well at least you realized you wasted your money. You are on the right track (sarcasm) as in most people who look at items see it cost more so it has to be better. I am sure the BMS intake is less and it will give same benefits.

I have bought many mods the best bang for buck by far is a tune. You can go with JB4 or Cobb I have used both and I currently use JB4 with a backend flash, personal preference only.

If you truly want to do something where after you install it then go take it for a test drive where you come away saying holy**** do either tune there are other tunes but these two are the most prevalent. Either will add an extra 60 hp and more with smart mods of DP's, intercooler and add in some E85 with a backend flash for E85 can net around a 100 extra hp.

I am using my experience from an N54 engine but I would think the N55 would be close for the same results.

2011 335is DCT
Pure Stage 2 Hi-Flo Turbos | PSP outlets | RB Inlets | Wagner Evo 2 intercooler | Wagner Dpipes's | JB4 G5/MHD| Precision Raceworks Coils |PFS Bucketed Double shot LPFP | Phoenix Charge Pipe with Tial BOV | JB4 G5/MHD | BMS DCI's

RIP 2007 E90 335i
Doc Race 6266 Single Turbo | TFT Charge Pipe | JB4 G5/MHD | FuelIt stg 3 LPFP | Cpe/BMS PI | 100% E85 | DSS Axles | Cpe FMIC | Tial BOV

N54 World Record ET: 10.721 | Best MPH 130.92

Last edited by deltalima0; 01-03-2015 at 08:23 AM..
(#3)
Old

Default 01-03-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltalima0
Well at least you realized you wasted your money. You are on the right track (sarcasm) as in most people who look at items see it cost more so it has to be better. I am sure the BMS intake is less and it will give same benefits.

I have bought many mods the best bang for buck by far is a tune. You can go with JB4 or Cobb I have used both and I currently use JB4 with a backend flash, personal preference only.

If you truly want to do something where after you install it then go take it for a test drive where you come away saying holy**** do either tune there are other tunes but these two are the most prevalent. Either will add an extra 60 hp and more with smart mods of DP's, intercooler and add in some E85 with a backend flash for E85 can net around a 100 extra hp.

I am using my experience from an N54 engine but I would think the N55 would be close for the same results.
The N55 is far from the same... no back end flashes available and very sub standard gains compared to even other models when comparing the 5 series to 3/1 etc. If Cobb was available id be first in line, but the only options were Dinan, the JB4, and a slew of zero proof inflated gain devices similar to the BMS stage 1 module (not bagging on the BMS, just saying the other devices are similar in that they plug and play with zero adjustability). I just happened to have a gift card from xmas and got a great deal on the AFE so figured id try it out. With the very little felt gains though, I kinda lost interest in doing dynos and track runs.
(#4)
Old

Default 01-18-2015, 05:01 PM

Update... I found a station near my work that had VP 95 at the pump, so out of boredom a couple days ago I put 10 gallons of that to about 7 of our craptastic 91 octane with 15-30% ethanol (it varies by season and manufacturer and ive never cared enough to meter it). Gave it about 40 miles of normal driving to let the knock sensors and fuel trims learn and had some fun. MAN what a difference! Its a whole different car not only down low, but also pulling up top now! Id have to say on 91, you dont feel too much other than a hard torque spike down low, but the 93ish mix I made felt great! Too bad its $5 a gallon at the pump, but the experiment worked and now I know! If I dont end up getting rid of this in a few months for a 550, I may try a JB4 out and see what difference the E85 makes vs 91.
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-18-2015, 05:03 PM

Our stage1 tune is stronger, smoother, cheaper, and just as easy to install.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Default 01-18-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Our stage1 tune is stronger, smoother, cheaper, and just as easy to install.
Your stage 1 tuner wasnt sitting in a buddies shop with a fantastic price to buy it But if you want to send me a freebie, I will eat the dyno time and get a back to back done, and send you back whichever of the two is weaker

Last edited by FenixMike; 01-28-2015 at 04:59 PM..
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-18-2015, 08:36 PM

We'll pass on that. But for anyone else looking for a simple to install setup definitely look in to our Stage1.

http://burgertuning.com/N55_Jb_BMW_P...nce_Tuner.html

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#8)
Old
Registered Users

Car: 14' F25 X3 xDrive28 M-Sport AlpineWhite DHP
Default 01-20-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixMike
Update... I found a station near my work that had VP 95 at the pump, so out of boredom a couple days ago I put 10 gallons of that to about 7 of our craptastic 91 octane with 15-30% ethanol (it varies by season and manufacturer and ive never cared enough to meter it). Gave it about 40 miles of normal driving to let the knock sensors and fuel trims learn and had some fun. MAN what a difference! Its a whole different car not only down low, but also pulling up top now! Id have to say on 91, you dont feel too much other than a hard torque spike down low, but the 93ish mix I made felt great! Too bad its $5 a gallon at the pump, but the experiment worked and now I know! If I dont end up getting rid of this in a few months for a 550, I may try a JB4 out and see what difference the E85 makes vs 91.
Never heard of VP but hey I guess the 95 octane is better than the name brand 91? I hear some 135 folks using 2-5 gallons of e85 mixed with 93 octane (without E85 wires) for once in a while test.

I am glad there's 93 here and have not yet gotten bms stage1 but am playing with RaceChip on my N20 though .. my friend got aFe scorcher for his F10 535ix as well but I don't think he let it adapt to his car but he did notice a lot of low-end torque that he enjoyed but we got RC in a group buy and it has settings similar to the maps in stage1 and jb4 but without tapping into the power, now my other friend dyno'ed it and their claim numbers are not a lie.

Hows the scorcher running? I'm sure MPG has improved with it as what I hear.
(#9)
Old

Car: BMW 335i
Default 01-20-2015, 01:00 PM

I think you should have done a little more research on these cars and products before modding. The JB4 or even JB stage 1 would have been much better for the car. You act like you don't care about modding yet you went and wasted money on a crappy tune.
(#10)
Old

Car: bmw 535i xdrive
Default 01-22-2015, 05:37 PM

+1 AFE is a joke of a company.

JB for max power, or Cobb for less power than JB but the Cobb still has a nice boost. The Cobb tune is a significantly higher quality tuning method with no risk of frying your car. There is a risk with the JB tune so you have been warned. Search the foums and make up your own mind, trust nobody, including me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Boost
I think you should have done a little more research on these cars and products before modding. The JB4 or even JB stage 1 would have been much better for the car. You act like you don't care about modding yet you went and wasted money on a crappy tune.
(#11)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 01-22-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrelnik

JB for max power, or Cobb for less power than JB but the Cobb still has a nice boost. The Cobb tune is a significantly higher quality tuning method with no risk of frying your car. There is a risk with the JB tune so you have been warned. Search the foums and make up your own mind, trust nobody, including me!
Cobb doesn't make a tune for the F10 535 cars, yet, and might not.
(#12)
Old
ex deus machina

Car: E92 N54 335i
Default 01-22-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
... or spend countless thousands chasing high 12s if im lucky when the last 6 cars ive owned were in the 10s.
please list cars and what major mods...

Daily: G30 M550i JB4
Winter Beast: Audi S4 4.2L V8, Supercharger, brakes, suspension & exhaust mods
Wifes': F15 M50d clone, DUDMD tune, WMI, MPPK front & 50i rear brakes, M50d grill and trim
Gone: E92 N54 468wtq
(#13)
Old

Default 01-28-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED
please list cars and what major mods...
98 Z28 - heads/cam, full bolt ons, 200 shot
01 Camaro SS - full bolt ons, LS6 crate engine with big cam, 200 shot
01 Z06 - full bolt ons, cam, 200 shot
05 C6 - full bolt ons, cam, 200 shot
06 SRT8 300c - heads/cam/intake, 150 shot (ok, I never made 10 second pass on this one, but I had it before tuning was really available and never bought slicks for it, so just in the 11s)
03 Cobra - whipple 3.4L, E85 and bolt ons
04 R1 - full exhaust, power commander, sprockets
12 Hayabusa - full exhaust, power commander, dyno tune locally

Cobra was by far the fastest car and went consistent 10.0s at 140+ (by consistent I mean 6-7 passes a night with identical times, then drove it home). After being banned from both local tracks for not having the proper safety equipment for 9s or 135+, I decided "fast" cars weren't for me and got into cruisers instead. Still would be nice to make some decent power though without having to break the bank, but my years in tuning has me scared of something I can't control.

edit - found a vid of the Cobra... figures the one run they video was the one time I spun. Red car was mine, This one for me was 10.0@142, my buddy went 9.98@139.

Last edited by FenixMike; 01-28-2015 at 04:47 PM..
(#14)
Old

Default 01-28-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobX3
Never heard of VP but hey I guess the 95 octane is better than the name brand 91? I hear some 135 folks using 2-5 gallons of e85 mixed with 93 octane (without E85 wires) for once in a while test.

I am glad there's 93 here and have not yet gotten bms stage1 but am playing with RaceChip on my N20 though .. my friend got aFe scorcher for his F10 535ix as well but I don't think he let it adapt to his car but he did notice a lot of low-end torque that he enjoyed but we got RC in a group buy and it has settings similar to the maps in stage1 and jb4 but without tapping into the power, now my other friend dyno'ed it and their claim numbers are not a lie.

Hows the scorcher running? I'm sure MPG has improved with it as what I hear.
VP is probably the largest manufacturer of racing fuels... they typically sponsor every racing event, supply fuel to those events, and are responsible for the race gas you find at pretty much every station that carries it. Sunoco is another large one, but I think I've seen that at one station here, VP has the rest.

Scorcher is pretty fun, it makes the car much more enjoyable to drive around town, just still falls on its face up top, but I think thats more to blame on the turbo than the tune, and the car being 100% stock other than the AFE.
(#15)
Old

Default 01-28-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Boost
I dont agree with you. There is pretty much zero evidence on anything for these cars as 99.9999999% of BMW owners do nothing more than report "it feels faster". The few reports I have seen say the AFE gives 4 lbs of boost as opposed to the 3 lbs on the JB stage 1, and I don't trust the stage 4 since I've yet to see any dyno results supporting significant gains on the F10 535is besides the ones Terry supplies on their website, or the couple on here with a LONG list of mods. I also don't like the fact that no one ever has AFRs on their graphs and no real ability to control this, especially when going into E85. Maybe I'm used to a car world where people take their vehicles to the dyno just to see what changing air filters does as opposed to most on here that take peoples words for it, but I'm just not convinced these gimmicks work unless I see some real results, or obtain the results myself.

As far as research, I've been on every BMW forum I can find, spoken with Terry over PM and email, and the answers are the same things you would get from asking SCT or Diablo about a handheld programmer and its effects to your car with the hopes of 40 horsepower gains. Some people see 40, others lose 40... Ive also yet to see any back to back dynos of the AFE vs JB stage 1 or JB stage 4 to substantiate Terrys gains.

I may, out of morbid curiosity, play with some of this stuff and do all the research myself, but unfortunately my buddies shop is in the middle of moving and the AWD dyno is down until he puts it back together. IF I did go through all the work, id want it to all be on the same dyno. Then again, with the results being less than stellar even after buying a ********, intake, tuner, building an exhaust and switching to E85, I may just not waste the money.
(#16)
Old

Default 01-28-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrelnik

Im not sold the AFE is junk other than marketing tactics by their competitors to say its junk... I really wish Cobb would get into the game, or someone that allows flash tuning and some sort of editing capability, but I don't think the F10 N55 stuff is nearly popular enough to chase that market. As far as the JB risks, thats part of hoping a tune made hundreds of miles away that works on someone elses combo will do the same for your combo, but thats part of the game if you want the end results until someone else builds something better. My buddy is a Cobb dealer and said they don't currently have plans of pursuing it, the Dinan really doesn't do enough for the cost, which leaves only a few choices.
(#17)
Old
ex deus machina

Default 01-28-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
…and I don't trust the stage 4 since I've yet to see any dyno results supporting significant gains on the F10 535is besides the ones Terry supplies on their website, or the couple on here with a LONG list of mods.
Why does it have to be on a 535? M235i and 335i/435i results should be comparable enough to draw accurate conclusions

Quote:
…As far as research, I've been on every BMW forum I can find, spoken with Terry over PM and email, and the answers are the same things you would get from asking SCT or Diablo about a handheld programmer and its effects to your car with the hopes of 40 horsepower gains. Some people see 40, others lose 40... Ive also yet to see any back to back dynos of the AFE vs JB stage 1 or JB stage 4 to substantiate Terrys gains.
I agree that you can and should be skeptical, but see comment above
Quote:
…I may, out of morbid curiosity, play with some of this stuff and do all the research myself, but unfortunately my buddies shop is in the middle of moving and the AWD dyno is down until he puts it back together. IF I did go through all the work, id want it to all be on the same dyno. Then again, with the results being less than stellar even after buying a ********, intake, tuner, building an exhaust and switching to E85, I may just not waste the money.
Without a proper tune (COBB or Dinan) or proper piggy back (JB4) the extra mods you listed and E85 will do nothing for you

Wifes': F15 M50d clone, DUDMD tune, WMI, MPPK front & 50i rear brakes, M50d grill and trim
(#18)
Old

Default 01-28-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Why does it have to be on a 535? M235i and 335i/435i results should be comparable enough to draw accurate conclusions

I agree that you can and should be skeptical

Without a proper tune (COBB or Dinan) or proper piggy back (JB4) the extra mods you listed and E85 will do nothing for you
Because I have a 535, and don't care what the others make. Terry also confirmed that the 535s tend to make less power than the other models, which even the rare few dynos online confirm with some picking up 10 rwhp.

The mods and/or E85 wouldn't be done without a tuner, the problem is spending 2K to find out it wont work properly is a lot. In a perfect world, or if Burger was down the street it might be a different story. Thats why I'm currently just going back to stock and either waiting for something else to try, or likely trading the car in for a 550 once work settles down and I'm not driving 100+ miles a day.
(#19)
Old
ex deus machina

Default 01-29-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
...or likely trading the car in for a 550...
I vote this

(#20)
Old

Default 01-29-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
I vote this
After doing the math, it made more sense... I just have a lot of work across town right now which is why I got the 535 since it does very well on the free way with fuel economy. Once that's over I can live with the thirsty 550! I put 9,500 miles on it since nov so better this than a v8 for now.
(#21)
Old

Car: 2009 535i xdrive
Default 01-29-2015, 07:33 PM

Before I realized I wanted a jb4 I had a jb+ I bought used. I used it for 4 months and sold it for the same price I bought it when I got the jb4. Maybe you could do the same thing with a jb4 if you don't like it and only be out a bit of shipping. Just an option that worked for me. Seems like the used price holds steady. The tech support is worth a new purchase though, imho.

2009 535xi - JB4 G5 ISO -BMS Race Flash- BMS Intake - ER CP- Forge DVs- Active Autowerke intercooler- Gone

Activehybrid 3 - JB4 EWG/OBD- CTS Turbo Intake- VRSF CP- Bavsound Stage 1- current
(#22)
Old

Car: 535xi
Default 01-29-2015, 07:37 PM

This can't be real life... comparing a jb4 tune to an air filter swap on the LS platform, please tell me you're joking? I know you're f10 n55 and all that but there are people making good power on the n55 too. Hey guess what... the e60 dynos less than its n54 1/3 series but a jb4 still does incredible wonders for that car
Even on map 2 93oct this thing just screams

2010 535xi
ALL black, murdered out FBO jb4+flash
Fuel It! stage 2 LPFP on the way

12.400@112.16/1.731 60'
4205lbs
(#23)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 01-29-2015, 08:06 PM

It's funny how some people come onto this board and immediately discredit everything thousands of owners have painstakingly done to achieve real world results. Including the suppliers of the tuning components as well. Logs, dyno results, track slips all mean nothing. All a big waste of time. As is Fenix Mike.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#24)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-29-2015, 08:10 PM

Looks like it's time to close thing one. If anyone wants it, apparently OP has his AFE setup for sale here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28366

Burger Motorsports

Closed Thread