N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#576)
Old
135i is in my sights...

Car: 2011 WRX STI
Default 04-04-2013, 04:57 AM

Just got the dealership to OK an intake valve cleaning under warranty and figured i would try to do as much as i can to mitigate the need in the future. I just paid for a BMS OCC and i remembered some discussion of PCVs from RB.

For an essentially stock car, if i dont feel as if i am having problems with the PCV currently, is it worth while to replace it with your unit? If i already have the cowl and engine cover off, i might as well try to do it all at once and not have to worry about it going forward.

Any insight is great!
(#577)
Old
I love me some used mods!

Car: nothing at the moment....
Default 04-04-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
If i already have the cowl and engine cover off, i might as well try to do it all at once and not have to worry about it going forward.
+1 on this....

COBB AP|CP-e|ETS|ER|Forge DVs|KW V1|M3 Sways|BBS CH|BMS|
(#578)
Old

Default 04-08-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
Guys, be very careful when tightening the cover. It does not seal by how much torque it has on it, and it is plastic. I have had a few people now in the time I've been selling these break the cover which spells major problems as I know of no way to get a new cover reliably without buying the whole valve cover.

Rob
broke mine..... trying jb weld will report back once its fully cured.

Im guessing this will cause codes and issue
(#579)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 04-08-2013, 10:18 AM

Cover is over $400 at the dealer, what you need to do is make sure the gasket doesn't come out of place when putting the cover back, just torque enough. the seal comes from the rubber gasket pressing agains the head, I didn't even put silicon when I did it. And has been working fine.

JB4 flash with JB4, 4.0 bar sensor, DocR 6870, Race InterC, FuelIT stage 3 (525), Helix OverDrv 3x, Phoenix Intake with PI (750cc) with BMS controller, PrRW coil pack kit, WaveTrc Diff. E85
(#580)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 04-08-2013, 01:05 PM

Blaze...
When I installed my IC, the car had been run stock for 24500miles and everything was coated in oil.

After installing the OCC and obviously running more boost, I got a >tablespoon of oil in a little over 1K miles. I installed this PCV a little over a thousand miles ago, if I can, I'll check my OCC and see what I get this time. Actually I'm bored...I'll give it a go now.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#581)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-08-2013, 01:30 PM

Just checked it...OCC has about a teaspoon in it, so I'd say about 1/3rd as much oil after the PCV install and with a few more miles on it than previously. At this point, I can certainly say it wasn't a bad upgrade and suspect that it has reduced my oil consumption, but that isn't 100%.

BTW, just devised a better way to empty the OCC, very quick and it's easier than going in from the top.

1. Remove DCI's
2. Remove diverter hose
3. Reach in there and unscrew the OCC

Very simple...of course BOV's or stock Airboxes may negate that advantage for others.

(somebody in a thread had asked for longer hoses...don't think that would help much)

Edit: A pic...

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.

Last edited by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!; 04-08-2013 at 01:47 PM..
(#582)
Old

Car: 2008 135i AT
Send a message via Skype™ to OldBooster
Default 04-08-2013, 01:47 PM

The "upgraded" PVC check valve doesn't do anything to cure an issue if there is no issue. The RB valve simply protects you from what might be an issue or problem in the future, which is not probable. I don't think the amount of oil you are collecting in your can is out of the ordinary. I've had the RB valve since they were first offered. The amount of oil I see in my BMS OCC is the same as before I installed it. But for the money, it's a good deal, and why not. We all like to buy stuff for our "babies."

Terry's unmatched dedication to the N54
Held #1 on www.DragTimes.com:
First to run 11.012 @129.30
(#583)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-08-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBooster
The "upgraded" PVC check valve doesn't do anything to cure an issue if there is no issue. The RB valve simply protects you from what might be an issue or problem in the future, which is not probable. I don't think the amount of oil you are collecting in your can is out of the ordinary. I've had the RB valve since they were first offered. The amount of oil I see in my BMS OCC is the same as before I installed it. But for the money, it's a good deal, and why not. We all like to buy stuff for our "babies."
Can't argue with that...I just shared my findings in as impartial and factual way as I could....nothing more...nothing less.

The amount of oil in my OCC doesn't concern me...in my intake track...that does and I know for certain that has been greatly reduced with the OCC.

(#584)
Old

Car: 2008 135i AT
Send a message via Skype™ to OldBooster
Default 04-08-2013, 02:30 PM

Oops... I thought you were talking about the RB PVC valve ... not the OCC.Sorry ;o)

Terry's unmatched dedication to the N54
Held #1 on www.DragTimes.com:
First to run 11.012 @129.30
(#585)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-08-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBooster
Oops... I thought you were talking about the RB PVC valve ... not the OCC.Sorry ;o)
I was...I just said I suspected I had seen an improvement with the RB PCV over my stock PCV, but couldn't draw a concrete conclusion based on the results thus far. Then I was saying that in contrast I was certain that the OCC was doing it's job based on my observations of less oil in the intake tract when I did my valve cleaning. I will check the valves again in a few thousand miles to see the affects.

(#586)
Old
king of the hills

Car: E92 335i
Default 04-08-2013, 04:19 PM

I thought the RB PCV was to replace the valve that directs blow-by during off boost/idle/decel conditions, and had nothing to do with the on-boost blow by (which is what your OCC is for)? Replacing the valve that RB offers should have little to no affect on the amount of oil your catch can is catching, but will help keep your valves cleaner (if your check valve was leaking).

Last edited by raceyBMW; 04-08-2013 at 04:43 PM..
(#587)
Old
135i is in my sights...

Car: 2011 WRX STI
Default 04-10-2013, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceyBMW
I thought the RB PCV was to replace the valve that directs blow-by during off boost/idle/decel conditions, and had nothing to do with the on-boost blow by (which is what your OCC is for)? Replacing the valve that RB offers should have little to no affect on the amount of oil your catch can is catching, but will help keep your valves cleaner (if your check valve was leaking).

I just had the dealer do my intake valves and the tech said that the valves were one of the cleaner ones hes done (and he specializes in the N54) so i think my pcv is working fine. No need to swap it out yet i dont think.
(#588)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 04-11-2013, 10:03 AM

Have a few orders on these still stuck in holding pattern until a bulk order of some parts are received- hopefully that happens shortly.

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#589)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 04-14-2013, 11:48 PM

Payment sent
(#590)
Old
Stalker

Default 04-14-2013, 11:53 PM

Got it thanks. Latest update said parts due in the week, so expect all to be shipped by Friday.

Thanks,
Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#591)
Old

Car: 07 e92
Default 04-16-2013, 12:16 PM

Rob sorry for my ignorance. How can I go about ordering the PCV from you? Thanks!
(#592)
Old
Stalker

Default 04-16-2013, 12:32 PM

See first post first page of this thread.

Thanks,
Rob

(#593)
Old

Car: 07 e92
Default 04-17-2013, 10:44 AM

Payment sent under sbaig711@aol.com
(#594)
Old
Stalker

Default 04-20-2013, 02:18 PM

Payment was received.

BTW, we have to be getting closer here. Parts still did not arrive though. Perhaps it will be early week. I shouldve known not to make such a large order.... grrr.

(#595)
Old

Car: 08 e90 sedan
Default 04-26-2013, 12:38 PM

Hey Rob, are these in stock again?
(#596)
Old
Stalker

Default 04-26-2013, 01:01 PM

Not yet. I'm going to call again today. They were due into the warehouse on 4/16 well that didn't happen but hopefully soon now.

(#597)
Old

Car: 335Xi
Default 04-30-2013, 11:20 PM

Any word on the PCV's Rob? I want to order one up from you, if they aren't in yet can you post up when the shipment arrives?
(#598)
Old
Stalker

Default 05-01-2013, 12:14 AM

Have approx 70 on order. It's been ridiculous I know. I will call AGAIN tomorrow. Hopefully there's at least some update, last several times its just "the warehouse has accepted the order so all must be well... But I have nothing else valuable for you at this time."

Many have paid and I'm ready to ship out- they'll go out within 24 hours... But at this point I have nothing concrete because I'm being fed nothing concrete.

Sorry, let's hope it's soon.

Rob

(#599)
Old
Stalker

Default 05-01-2013, 08:34 AM

This large order was now bumped out until 5/15 (was prior 4/16). I'm going to check around for some local sources in the interim.

(#600)
Old
Stalker

Default 05-01-2013, 11:27 AM

I checked every supplier in the St. Louis area, nothing. I am seriously thinking this backorder ordeal is semi serious and we are going to have to stick it out until hopefully no later than 5/15.

Sorry for the delays guys, hands are tied. But here with baited breath looking to get these things out... just need a delivery of a component of these assemblies.

Rob