N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2011 550i Manual
Default N63 Methanol Set-up Questions - 04-18-2019, 05:40 PM

After a few years of wanting to add meth to my 550i but not getting around to it, I am determined to get moving on it this spring. At the moment the car is just running a JB4 and a pedal tuner. Iím at 47,000 miles and I really wanted to get meth not just for the cooling effect but also the cleaning as the 63 series engines are a removal situation if valve cleaning is required. I plan to make a catch can setup also which will hopefully with the meth help me clean a little of what is there and prevent any new deposits.

My first question is should I go with a JB4 actuated setup or just use a stand-alone progressive controller. I had intended to do a BCM when I did the meth but Burger no longer has that as an option and I am curious as to what the best option is. Iíd ideally like to run 8psi increase over stock, maybe if that doesnít cause issues, Iíd get the TMAP sensors to allow me to go a little higher. If map 8 is the WMI map, what limits would that place on me?

The second question is should I mount the meth injectors pre or post intercooler? Obviously post would be more efficient as the temp delta is higher but if I mount at the bottom of the intercooler then it is next to what on the N63 is the charge air temperature / pressure sensor so I wonder if that could cause a problem. Add in the fact that doing in pre intercooler is much easier than removing the intercoolers and welding in bungs.

Third is what to do for a tank. I have the adaptive steering so the F10 stealth tank is not an option. Iím leaning toward a 10L Aquamist tank since I sadly donít have rear folding seats and I donít want to mess up my trunk space more than I need to.

Anyone have any input?

2011 550i 6MT
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 04-19-2019, 09:27 AM

For sure go with the JB4+FSB for the meth kit and safety features.

I would do pre intercooler, as you said it's easier.

Go for our 2 gallon universal tank if the stealth can fit there. It's really awesome and doesn't take up as much space as you think.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Car: 2012 550ix
Default N63 Charge pipe kit - 04-22-2019, 07:08 PM

BDJL... Note that Arm Motorsports now sell a charge pipe kit for WMI on the N63. Price is very reasonable.
(#4)
Old

Default 04-22-2019, 07:58 PM

Yeah, I saw that recently and if I go pre intercooler I'll buy that kit for sure rather than mess about. I have a set of 1 step colder NGK plugs on the bench and a Dinan boost pressure adapter and gauge set to install. It's looking like the ease will have me giving the pre cooler injectors a go at least as a start. Still looking at tanks as I'm not really happy with any. The Aquamist still looks best to me but I need to take some measurements and decide.

Using map 8 for WMI I can set my own boost values?

2011 550i 6MT
(#5)
Old

Default 04-24-2019, 03:02 PM

By far best tank that I could find is from Burger. they have a tank specifically for the F10 5 series cars that goes into the hidden cavity in the trunk. very slick.
(#6)
Old

Default 04-24-2019, 09:56 PM

Sadly, I have the adaptive steering package so I have the unit and extra battery where the stealth tank would normally go. Believe me, if that were an option I would have already ordered it.

2011 550i 6MT
(#7)
Old

Default 04-25-2019, 05:51 PM

Ah yes, Too bad. Hopefully you will find a good solution. There are quite a few other options. I had been thinking of using the washer bottle but access was difficult.
(#8)
Old

Default 05-10-2019, 08:36 PM

So I pulled the pin and ordered the ARM charge ***** today. Still need to make my mind up on the tank.

Is anyone here using map 8 for meth? Where have you ended up on your boost levels? I'm wondering what injectors would be best suited for the car. I recall others saying Dual CM10s were too much for even modded M5's and on the M5 dual CM7's seemed to be the ideal. Would Dual CM5's be the ticket or would 7's still be my best bet? No plans to drive boost crazy high but depending on how it runs, if I can get reliable ignition, I would consider going above 20PSI total. As it stands, I am thinking 5's and shooting for reliable +8 PSI would be a good start.

2011 550i 6MT
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-11-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDJL
So I pulled the pin and ordered the ARM charge ***** today. Still need to make my mind up on the tank.

Is anyone here using map 8 for meth? Where have you ended up on your boost levels? I'm wondering what injectors would be best suited for the car. I recall others saying Dual CM10s were too much for even modded M5's and on the M5 dual CM7's seemed to be the ideal. Would Dual CM5's be the ticket or would 7's still be my best bet? No plans to drive boost crazy high but depending on how it runs, if I can get reliable ignition, I would consider going above 20PSI total. As it stands, I am thinking 5's and shooting for reliable +8 PSI would be a good start.
I'd run dual BM7 nozzles. We have map8 enabled on the latest N63 firmware, and you adjust the additive to determine the boost request.

Best thing is to post a log here once it's up and running and we can evaluate it and go from there as the N63 WMI community is rather small.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#10)
Old

Default 05-14-2019, 04:37 PM

For sure. Still need to decide on the tank so I'll do some measuring when I get home again. Without the BCM offered anymore what is the boost range you'd expect to be reliable with meth? Is going beyond 8 additive to where the 3.5 bar sensors are required likely or is 6-8 probably it before issues?

2011 550i 6MT
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-19-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDJL
For sure. Still need to decide on the tank so I'll do some measuring when I get home again. Without the BCM offered anymore what is the boost range you'd expect to be reliable with meth? Is going beyond 8 additive to where the 3.5 bar sensors are required likely or is 6-8 probably it before issues?
Boost is limited. Maybe 4-5psi over stock. What people who are serious about N63 performance do is flash the cars and then use the JB4 on top of that for WMI and adding extra boost on top of the flash map.

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Default Yesterday, 04:18 PM

What is the flow rate for the BM5 and BM7 nozzles? What kind of volume of meth mixture would you expect say per gallon of fuel used, i.e. if I burned 100 gallons of gas, how much meth mix would I have likely used?

I'm not happy with any tank option really so it is going to come down to if I mount the pump down with the batteries and feed from a tank in the trunk or mount the pump on a tank mount like Aquamist.

Also, it seems to be common to have leaks with the push fit connectors but is anyone doing AN fitting lines all the way or is that just a waste?

2011 550i 6MT
(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default Yesterday, 08:09 PM

We have compression fittings everywhere but the pump itself. The pump fittings need to be push lock to simplify the install of the pump in to our tanks but I've never had any issues with those leaking. Everything else needs to be compression though. AN lines are overkill IMHO but it's only money.

BM5 is around 5 gallons per hour, BM7 around 7 gallons per hour.

The JB4 meters out WMI based on boost and demand. So, you might use 0 WMI during 100 gallons of gas, or as much as 1 gallon every 10 gallons of gas. Just depends on the mapping used.

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old

Default Yesterday, 08:46 PM

Thanks, I realize it is variable but I was trying to get an idea under street driving with the 4-5lb or so you stated.

I'm leaning toward the BM5 given the low level of boost that seems possible. Is there a good manual anywhere or is the only option to read a ton of stuff here?

2011 550i 6MT
(#15)
Old
Tuner

Default Yesterday, 09:00 PM

The N63 is the red-headed stepchild of BMW turbocharged engines due to its inherent flaws with misfires and such.. So won't find a lot of info on it. Not many running WMI with it.

I'd suggest dual BM5 nozzles to start.

Burger Motorsports