N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Legend

Car: 335i MSport DCT
Default Devils own uk - 07-03-2018, 03:38 PM

Hi everyone,
I run Vargas GC turbos with port methanol injection. The meth is from Burger Tuning. Well this week I found my solenoid to be leaking so I ordered a 12v one from Devils Own UK. The solenoid immediately got red hot and nearly set fire to my car. It's supposed to be 12v solenoid. Nowhere does it state on their site that it is or isn't for specific meth controllers.
I paid £74.80 for it and it lasted 3 seconds before partially melting. A single 3rd gear pull.
I reported this to the owner, Bruce who said it's not for use with a JB4. Again, no where does it state this on their site. I asked about a refund and now he's saying no because it has been misused. What would you guys do? This seems ridiculous to me.
I have a partially melted solenoid. It got so hot the solder must have come off shedding one of the wires.
Surely I can claim on a credit card or with PayPal if he's going to be such a dick about it?

UK FBO 335i, GCs, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, custom bucketless stage2

11.79@119mph on stockers, CP meth (UK, Santa Pod)
11.74@129mph on GCs, custom port meth injection.
(#2)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 07-03-2018, 03:44 PM

does anywhere in the ad does it say that it cant be used with a JB4?

take screenshots as he can edit the site.

then do a paypal chargeback.

- BMW 535i - Sport - Sport Auto - JB4 G5 ISO - DCI - BMS E85 BackEnd via MHD - 19in M6 Wheels -

- Suzuki GSX-R750 - Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust - Mirror Block-Offs - WoodCraft RearSets - Yoshimura Frame Sliders -
(#3)
Old
Legend

Default 07-03-2018, 04:11 PM

No. It says nowhere that it can or can't be used with any type of meth controller.
Only when explaining what had happened did he tell me it's not compatible.

Yes I did as you said and took a screen shot. He's only a reseller so I don't get why he's being so difficult. I've purchased 13 nozzles from him, port adaptor, check valve, yards of hose. It's not like I've bought a single item once.

UK FBO 335i, GCs, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, custom bucketless stage2

(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-03-2018, 04:25 PM

That specific solenoid pulls too much current, like 5 amps, and will fry an FSB and most other controllers on a solenoid circuit.

The solenoid won't melt the FSB will. Are you saying solenoid melted down? If so its just defective.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old
Legend

Default 07-03-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
That specific solenoid pulls too much current, like 5 amps, and will fry an FSB and most other controllers on a solenoid circuit.

The solenoid won't melt the FSB will. Are you saying solenoid melted down? If so its just defective.
Yes it got so hot the label melted. The solder in the solenoid melted on one of the wires. I burned my hand trying to move it after a 3 second pull.

(#6)
Old
Legend

Default 07-03-2018, 04:48 PM

(#7)
Old
Legend

Default 07-03-2018, 04:57 PM

He's saying it has melted because I used it with the coolingmist fsb

(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-03-2018, 04:58 PM

That is probably just a faulty solenoid then. Hopefully, it didn't take the FSB with it. The FSB does nothing to the solenoid other than giving it 12v to open it.

We have replacement solenoids on our site with compression fittings and filter for $60. Even with $40 shipping to UK it would not be that much more and a much better part for you.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#9)
Old
Legend

Default 07-03-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
That is probably just a faulty solenoid then. Hopefully, it didn't take the FSB with it. The FSB does nothing to the solenoid other than giving it 12v to open it.

We have replacement solenoids on our site with compression fittings and filter for $60. Even with $40 shipping to UK it would not be that much more and a much better part for you.
Yes thank you Terry. There's a fair mark up here in England.
I hope it's not destroyed the fsb as well. I just became a dad last week so money isn't as easy to come by as before. Cot, diapers, clothes, push chairs car seats etc.

I was basically wanting something quick. The o rings have gone on my 3 year old solenoid. I think I'm actually going to try drilling and tapping it first. Got the bits to do it. Just can't believe that solenoid would last 3 seconds.

(#10)
Old

Car: 2010 N54 BMW 135i
Default 07-06-2018, 09:47 AM

Hey dude,

If you're around London drop me a PM, I've got a brand new solenoid that I won't use, I'm pretty sure I won't need one for the DPMI setup as it's only used for charge pipe injection, isn't it? Not sure why you have one installed with the DPMI though. Anyway, its just a useless piece to me at this point, which I bought before the DPMI thread came around
(#11)
Old

Car: 2010 N54 BMW 135i
Default 07-06-2018, 09:59 AM

I have a FSB I won't use too if your's burnt...
(#12)
Old

Car: BMW E90 335XI
Default 07-06-2018, 11:55 AM

I’d drink a glass of cold water and never contact them again

Bmw E90 2007 AT 335xi MSD80,Jb4 G5 ISO,
Full Bolt Ons, Forged Internals, Meth PI, JB4 PI contoller, Zage Turbos, TFT inlet system,xHP Stage 3 trans Flash.

Do more with less !
(#13)
Old
Legend

Default 07-06-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebrailbakan
I’d drink a glass of cold water and never contact them again
Thanks bud,
I will try to. Unfortunately supply of these things in England is very limited.

(#14)
Old
Legend

Default 07-09-2018, 12:21 PM

Fsb is indeed fried. Ffs!!! ��

(#15)
Old

Car: 07 335xi
Default 07-09-2018, 12:43 PM

link to sale? I'm having problems with my e90, and would love to see it burn.

2007 335xi MT, JB4, bms dci, 5"vrsf stepped fmic, d_p's, vrsf full silicone inlets, er chargepipe, hyperboost diverter valves
(#16)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 07-09-2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcase
link to sale? I'm having problems with my e90, and would love to see it burn.

UK V8Bait Tuned
Built Motor
TD Turbo 335i
(#17)
Old

Car: M140i
Default 07-10-2018, 10:03 PM

Just my opinion, but why should devilsown have to say if their products are compatible with every other product?

What if a new product/controller came out next week, would devilsown have to update all their website again to let you know if it is or isn’t compatible?

I think the only way devilsown could be liable is if you asked them BEFORE purchase and they said it was compatible. If you didn’t I don’t think you have a leg to stand on unfortunately.

Also you mention about a new born (congratulations) but devilsown will be a business too with bills to pay, so I wouldn’t just expect a business to pay for my mistake, in my own opinion of course.
(#18)
Old
Legend

Default 07-12-2018, 04:31 AM

Look, I'm pretty sure that under full power, i.e. 100% duty cycle for 3 seconds, that it shouldn't melt.
Devils Own sell all kinds of parts. Nozzles, check valves, tubing etc.
This solenoid was stated as being a 12V one with a 300 psi rating and great reliability. Nowhere did it state that only a devils own controller could be used.
If I buy a meth pump off them, then I don't expect it only works with a devils own controller. It works on 12V.

(#19)
Old

Car: M140i
Default 07-12-2018, 09:07 AM

I’m just trying to give you an unbiased view mate, putting myself in your shoes and devilsown.

To me, it boils down to

-did you confirm/check first?
-if not, then I would say that’s your fault
If you did, and devilsown said it would work, then it’s their fault.

Again, only my opinion, but I would have defiantly checked first
(#20)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 07-12-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpink
Iím just trying to give you an unbiased view mate, putting myself in your shoes and devilsown.

To me, it boils down to

-did you confirm/check first?
-if not, then I would say thatís your fault
If you did, and devilsown said it would work, then itís their fault.
This is the bottom line. Like it or not.

I'd chalk it up to lesson learned, and move on.

2009 535i Sport - 548whp
Software :
JB4 G5 | MHD | Trebila Tune | XHP Stage 3
Hardware: VTT GC Lites | MFactory Helical LSD | Inlets | Outlet | VRSF 3" D-P's | VRSF 7" FMIC | Fuel-It! S2 LPFP | Fuel-It! TBI | BMS DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | Koni FSD

(#21)
Old
Legend

Default 07-13-2018, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
This is the bottom line. Like it or not.

I'd chalk it up to lesson learned, and move on.
Not quite. In the UK we have consumer laws. If something isn't fit for purpose then you get your money back.

(#22)
Old

Car: 09 335i le mans blue msport
Default 07-14-2018, 12:59 PM

You guys aren't reading the thread Terry the guy who designed the jb4 and its meth implementation is explaining that the controller simply opens a 12v circuit no pwm frequency or anything. You could take jumper cables off a 1200 amp starter box and it's not gonna fry the solenoid. Electricity isn't pushed through stuff unless increasing voltage the solenoid was defective.