N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: M235i
Default Check alignment specs - 05-14-2017, 03:55 PM

hey guys I just went in and got an alingment yesterday. I requested the specs in blue and this is what I got. Is this close enough or should I go back and ask if they can do better? I am prettt new to asking for custom alignments.

M235i with m4 LCA and TS installed.
Attached Images

2016 M235i EWG N55 - Empty exhaust - Charge Pipe - Intake - FMIC - WMI kit dual cm5+cm7 - JB4 FF and EWG Wires.
(#2)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 06-06-2017, 10:14 AM

front camber: off .3* from left to right is not great, but not a big deal - both are so far out of factory range 'spec', that shop may not be able to do any better.
Rest of front looks pretty close to what you wanted.

Rear camber: not even close to your request, but -1.5/1.6* is not that extreme even for factory hardware. If that was the most neg camber they could get, then it almost looks like rear suspension mods (don't know 2-series at all, not sure if the mods you listed are front, rear, or both) actually reduced the amount of adjustability on the rear camber.

Did you ask the tech when you picked it up and looked at the results, why they couldn't meet your specs on the ones you requested?

2009 535i Sport - 548whp
Software :
JB4 G5 | MHD | Trebila Tune | XHP Stage 3
Hardware: VTT GC Lites | MFactory Helical LSD | Inlets | Outlet | VRSF 3" D-P's | VRSF 7" FMIC | Fuel-It! S2 LPFP | Fuel-It! TBI | BMS DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | Koni FSD

2017 AMG C63 - stock

(#3)
Old

Car: M235i
Default 06-06-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
front camber: off .3* from left to right is not great, but not a big deal - both are so far out of factory range 'spec', that shop may not be able to do any better.
Rest of front looks pretty close to what you wanted.

front camber is non adjustable. I added control arms and tension struts. Is it possible the bushings will settle over time, not really sure if that is possible.

Rear camber: not even close to your request, but -1.5/1.6* is not that extreme even for factory hardware. If that was the most neg camber they could get, then it almost looks like rear suspension mods (don't know 2-series at all, not sure if the mods you listed are front, rear, or both) actually reduced the amount of adjustability on the rear camber.

no suspension mods to the rear. I am not sure why they were so far off here.maybe the tech wash rushing? I am not super familiar with alignment specs. I was going for an agressive street alignment,
that could handle a couple track days a year and some autox events.I basically found another 2 series member with a similar setup and used their specs. If you have any advice on how I could improve upon these specs for what I am looking for please let me know.

Did you ask the tech when you picked it up and looked at the results, why they couldn't meet your specs on the ones you requested?
I grabbed the paperwork and left. The tech had stayed 30 minutes after close to finish and I felt bad. Also i wasn't sure if the specs were that far off of what I had asked for so I didn't want to make a big deal about it.

I did go to a Firestone. i think the alignment was around $120. They offer a "lifetime" alignment program for around $150. I may do springs in the next couple weeks and go back in once they settle for another alignment and just ask that i pay the difference for the lifetime plan.

2016 M235i EWG N55 - Empty exhaust - Charge Pipe - Intake - FMIC - WMI kit dual cm5+cm7 - JB4 FF and EWG Wires.
(#4)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 06-08-2017, 10:30 AM

Gah, Firestone is the worst in my experience, at least around here.

I'd definitely recommend to go back and talk to that tech and/or svc mgr. I'd suggest going back before the springs, and getting it straightened out with current set up first.

Then maybe consider going somewhere else (i.e. Bimmer indy, race shop, etc.) for an alignment after the springs are on.

2009 535i Sport - 548whp
Software :
JB4 G5 | MHD | Trebila Tune | XHP Stage 3
Hardware: VTT GC Lites | MFactory Helical LSD | Inlets | Outlet | VRSF 3" D-P's | VRSF 7" FMIC | Fuel-It! S2 LPFP | Fuel-It! TBI | BMS DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | Koni FSD

2017 AMG C63 - stock