N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 535xi
Default FINALLY! officially FBO - 04-18-2014, 07:00 PM

Well, I finally did it! Got my AR ***** installed and got a walnut blast while I was there. This is the last piece of the puzzle for me to be FBO status. Now all I gotta do is get me a flash and some ms109 and it'll be game on

For those in the Chicago area, I had Anthony Pallela at A&L auto body in Palatine do the work for me. He is VERY knowledgeable about all things BMW and esp the n54 platform. Very professional, fast, and super cheap... his labor is $50/hr and my x drive DP install and walnut blast cost me $800 and prior to that the only shop I could find that was even willing to do JUST THE DP's wanted $800 and they didn't want to tackle the walnut blast

It was a 3.5 hr drive for us to take it up there but I wouldn't hesitate to go back for future work (RB's)

2010 535xi
ALL black, murdered out FBO jb4+flash
Fuel It! stage 2 LPFP on the way

12.400@112.16/1.731 60'
4205lbs
(#2)
Old

Car: F02/E82
Default 04-18-2014, 08:11 PM

Nice, let's see those times come down now
(#3)
Old

Default 04-19-2014, 04:27 PM

I think this is BMW's idea of a sick joke. All that forethought and engineering in the n54 and they put this in to connect the turbos to the exhaust
Attached Images

2010 535xi

12.400@112.16/1.731 60'
4205lbs
(#4)
Old

Car: F02/E82
Default 04-19-2014, 07:03 PM

Tell me about it
(#5)
Old

Car: 535xi Wagon
Default 04-30-2014, 07:59 AM

Any specific insight on what makes the install/removal of 535xi ********* so difficult and what special tools or techniques are needed?

I got a killer quote from my go-to shop down in SoCal but am located in the Bay Area, most shops here seem to run hourly wages of about $90/hr. Instead of paying $500+ I would prefer to spend some money at Harbor Freight on some special tools and take a day swearing and beating up my knuckles. I have embarked on some mentay and physically taxing installs so my threshold is higher for frastration.

Most install comments regarding 535xi DP installs just say it is a nightmare but don't go into great detail, I WANT GREAT DETAIL!

Any info is appreciated.

Evan
(#6)
Old
Legend

Car: 135i
Default 04-30-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black535xi
I think this is BMW's idea of a sick joke. All that forethought and engineering in the n54 and they put this in to connect the turbos to the exhaust
in fact, they work pretty well for OEM *********.
The HP gain of aftermaket DP's is not huge (barely 20HP) compared to the total amount of power the engine can deliver with them (400-420 WHP) with stock nails (barely +5%)

FBO N54 AT 135i 'vert with JB4 and Trebila Performance custom flash
(#7)
Old

Default 04-30-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
Any specific insight on what makes the install/removal of 535xi ********* so difficult and what special tools or techniques are needed?

I got a killer quote from my go-to shop down in SoCal but am located in the Bay Area, most shops here seem to run hourly wages of about $90/hr. Instead of paying $500+ I would prefer to spend some money at Harbor Freight on some special tools and take a day swearing and beating up my knuckles. I have embarked on some mentay and physically taxing installs so my threshold is higher for frastration.

Most install comments regarding 535xi DP installs just say it is a nightmare but don't go into great detail, I WANT GREAT DETAIL!

Any info is appreciated.

Evan
I asked the same thing many times and never got a real answer. I know the subframe needs to be dropped and its just a monster pain to get in there. I got under it and took off all the covers to see what I could see and it looked VERY tight... and im not a small guy by any stretch
biggest deciding factor for me was that I was gonna be dropping the car off to have the walnut blast done so figured I might as well have the ***** installed at the same time... but the guy I went to only charges $50/hr so it was a little easier to stomach the labor with him

2010 535xi

12.400@112.16/1.731 60'
4205lbs
(#8)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 05-22-2014, 06:24 PM

The *** on the E60 are mounted very close together and there is almost no room to get at certain bolts. Best bet is to support the engine with a tall adjustable stand, then remove the subframe and heat shields. Some mechanics also use a 7/8" wrench that has been slimmed down in the head.

PS, I just updated wife's wagon to the latest and greatest Wedge flash. Wow. Feels really connected. No hesitation off the throttle and it pulls very hard and fast. Especially in sport mode. Real smooth too. (Wedge updated the sport mode on the tranny as well last year.) The car has DCI, AR FMIC/CP, 93 octane. Sleeper.
Another 3 series with same mods posted 380/430 WHP/WTQ on the dyno. I don't doubt it. Plenty for easy daily driving and passing turtles on the highway.

I have been off the boards for a while as I was side tracked with several major maintenance issues. 3 injectors blew on the wagon, so replaced all 6. Also had to replace the front 02 sensors as they got messed up by all the gas that was flooding down into the exhaust.
The car also got flooded during a week-end of heavy rain. Had 5" of standing water in the wheel well where all the electronic control units are. Forgot to relocate them to the side panel as I had done on my sedan. Had to replace 7 modules! No picnic.
The water came through the hatch seal in the lift gate because the drain channels were clogged with pollen and other crap. Very common. Everyone should take precaution and relocate the control modules! I also drilled a couple of drain holes in the bottom so water can't collect.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#9)
Old

Default 05-23-2014, 07:24 AM

Wow! That really sucks man. Glad you got it all fixed, and hope to see you around more.One day my wife somehow accidentally hit the trunk button in the auto car wash... I freaked out, bc there was about 5" of water when she got home, but thankfully I had moved the stuff for my meth kit and everything was fine

2010 535xi

12.400@112.16/1.731 60'
4205lbs
(#10)
Old

Car: 2008 535Xi
Default 06-21-2014, 10:35 AM

Another Chicago area 535xi joins the FBO club. I got my AR *** and ER CP put in a couple of weeks ago. Thrilled because the ER CP took car of my random 30FF boost issues. Not too thrilled by the DP fitment from my indy guy - noisy and some fuel smell. I knew with my DP install that the previously bearable waste gate rattle would get too loud so new factory turbos are getting put in this weekend by a couple of trusted techs which means they will be able to better fit the *** while they are at it. (Yes - OEM turbos - I can't afford the hefty $ delta for RBs.)
I am also part way through a custom COBB tune - will wait for the turbos and DP re-fit to finalize the tune. Can't wait to dyno the car once it's all done.
I will have to wait for next year to afford suspension upgrades. (KW V3s)
Are there any sway bar/linkage type upgrades that work on the 535xi?
A part of me would like to do some "look" upgrades but I think for a while I am going to keep it "sleepy" looking. (I have the non-sport chrome trim and 17" factory wheels.)
Enough rambling.

2008 535xi (non-sport, AT sleeper), FBO, Wedge SAT Flash, Custom COBB/ATR Tune by Steve
(#11)
Old

Car: 535i 6MT
Default 06-21-2014, 12:41 PM

Good stuff man

2008 535i 6MT * JB4 G5 ISO * Luke performance flash * E40 * BMS 100% Meth * AR meowless DP * ETS FMIC * BMS OCC * BMS DCI * ER chargepipe * HKS bov * CDV deleted * Ksport coilovers * UUC short shift kit * AC schnitzer rear spolier *
(#12)
Old
Legend

Car: 2007 bmw 335i e90 auto
Default 06-21-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Well, I finally did it! Got my AR ***** installed and got a walnut blast while I was there. This is the last piece of the puzzle for me to be FBO status. Now all I gotta do is get me a flash and some ms109 and it'll be game on

For those in the Chicago area, I had Anthony Pallela at A&L auto body in Palatine do the work for me. He is VERY knowledgeable about all things BMW and esp the n54 platform. Very professional, fast, and super cheap... his labor is $50/hr and my x drive DP install and walnut blast cost me $800 and prior to that the only shop I could find that was even willing to do JUST THE DP's wanted $800 and they didn't want to tackle the walnut blast

It was a 3.5 hr drive for us to take it up there but I wouldn't hesitate to go back for future work (RB's)
How much do you think he would charge for install of RBs? I'm about an hour away from him and I might be interested in taking my car there!

BMW 335i
RB's 550whp
2000 Camry
2000 LS1 T56 Camaro

Koenigsegg Agera R - SOLD
Lamborghini Huracan - SOLD
2014 Bugatti Veyron - SOLD
2012 Ferrari 458 Italia - SOLD
(#13)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 06-22-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:

You should get the RD Sport swaybars. I think they cost $540 and are adjustable. Makes a big difference on roll stability. Easy DIY. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTL7JIJJq14

Sounds like your *** were not properly aligned by the midpipe flanges. If they don't line up perfectly before tightened, they will leak slightly and be loud and smelly. Bolts should be in loosely before the V-bands by the turbos are tightened, then do the midpipe connection last. Use new gaskets like these http://www.ardesign.info/store/selec...asket-kit.html
BMS also has good ones. Much thicker and sturdier than the thin, flimsy oem ones.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade

Last edited by Ocean; 06-22-2014 at 11:08 AM..
(#14)
Old

Car: 2008 535Xi
Default 06-22-2014, 11:28 AM

Thanks Ocean - I will definitely look into the RD Sport swaybars. Turbo install is getting finished up as we speak and the techs doing it have put AR *** in before and assured me they will be re-fitted perfectly. (Took a before removal picture for me and said there were slight gaps on both ends form being misaligned.)

2008 535xi (non-sport, AT sleeper), FBO, Wedge SAT Flash, Custom COBB/ATR Tune by Steve
(#15)
Old

Car: e28 m5, e34 m5, e30
Default 06-23-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete535Xi
Another Chicago area 535xi joins the FBO club. I got my AR *** and ER CP put in a couple of weeks ago. Thrilled because the ER CP took car of my random 30FF boost issues. Not too thrilled by the DP fitment from my indy guy - noisy and some fuel smell. I knew with my DP install that the previously bearable waste gate rattle would get too loud so new factory turbos are getting put in this weekend by a couple of trusted techs which means they will be able to better fit the *** while they are at it. (Yes - OEM turbos - I can't afford the hefty $ delta for RBs.)
I am also part way through a custom COBB tune - will wait for the turbos and DP re-fit to finalize the tune. Can't wait to dyno the car once it's all done.
I will have to wait for next year to afford suspension upgrades. (KW V3s)
Are there any sway bar/linkage type upgrades that work on the 535xi?
A part of me would like to do some "look" upgrades but I think for a while I am going to keep it "sleepy" looking. (I have the non-sport chrome trim and 17" factory wheels.)
Enough rambling.
Thanks for the kind words pete. Glad we couple help out with the turbo install along with valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket. All your leaks are taken care of now. Everything went smoothly except for the prior install of the down *****, fitment was poor and had multiple leaks. But we took care of that. Let us know when your ready to install the RD sway bars.
(#16)
Old

Car: e28 m5, e34 m5, e30
Default 06-23-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog7700
How much do you think he would charge for install of RBs? I'm about an hour away from him and I might be interested in taking my car there!
Install of oem or RB's through us for a IX model e60 is $1190. 2wd is $1020
(#17)
Old

Car: 535i 6MT
Default 06-23-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean
You should get the RD Sport swaybars. I think they cost $540 and are adjustable. Makes a big difference on roll stability. Easy DIY. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTL7JIJJq14

Sounds like your *** were not properly aligned by the midpipe flanges. If they don't line up perfectly before tightened, they will leak slightly and be loud and smelly. Bolts should be in loosely before the V-bands by the turbos are tightened, then do the midpipe connection last. Use new gaskets like these http://www.ardesign.info/store/selec...asket-kit.html
BMS also has good ones. Much thicker and sturdier than the thin, flimsy oem ones.
Sorry, a little off topic. If there's a little leak on the exhaust will it cause HP decrease? I'm always worry about that because I think I have a little leak from turbo to DP or DP to exhaust. There's a hissing sound on low rpm (normal driving) but couldn't figure it out where it is from....

2008 535i 6MT * JB4 G5 ISO * Luke performance flash * E40 * BMS 100% Meth * AR meowless DP * ETS FMIC * BMS OCC * BMS DCI * ER chargepipe * HKS bov * CDV deleted * Ksport coilovers * UUC short shift kit * AC schnitzer rear spolier *
(#18)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 06-24-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkninja
Sorry, a little off topic. If there's a little leak on the exhaust will it cause HP decrease? I'm always worry about that because I think I have a little leak from turbo to DP or DP to exhaust. There's a hissing sound on low rpm (normal driving) but couldn't figure it out where it is from....
If your leak is from turbo to DP, check your AFRs..it might be messing with the oxygen sensors since they're post turbo on stock cars. DP to exhaust shouldn't cause any loss in power though
(#19)
Old

Default 06-24-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog7700
Give him a call and talk to him. Super friendly guy and anyone can claim to know about a certain car but this guy owns 6 different BMW's... his shop had no less than 12 parked there for service. Mostly m3 and 335, but a few 135 and m5 as well. Dude really knows his stuff

2010 535xi

12.400@112.16/1.731 60'
4205lbs