N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2007 E92 335i 6MT
Default Injector blew on N54 - 12-28-2016, 08:16 PM

Hey guys, I've got a bit of an issue on my hands and I figured I'd try to get some advice as I look into buying parts.

Story:

Had misfires before but replaced coil packs and the misfires went away. I still had rough idle which I figured were from the old spark plugs. Got new ones and then after two weeks of use with the new ones I got misfires beyond 4.5k RPM at WOT. I put the old plugs back in and for some reason it fixed the WOT issue but the rough idle came back.

I tried regapping the new plugs and putting them back in but I still had the same issue at WOT. Then eventually I got a full on misfire in cylinder 1. Then after driving it only a few dozen more miles, a strong stench of gasoline started coming from the car.

Smoke started pouring out from the hood so I took off the plastic engine cover on the side of the road to find injector 1 not in its socket and the metal fuel line coming from the rail snapped completely off. Pools of gasoline were sitting on top of the engine.

I had already been told that I had an injector not working at its full potential by my mechanic, but that was cylinder 4 and I never got symptoms from that. The only code I had was 29F3 Fuel Low Pressure Sensor Electric. I've already ordered that sensor but I have no clue what caused the injector to blow out of the engine and snap a metal fuel line clean off.

TL;DR injector blew out of its socket and broke off the metal fuel line after having a misfire.

Anybody have any idea what might have caused this?

I had already planned to buy all new injectors for each cylinder. Now I need to buy a new fuel line, so I figured I might as well buy a new fuel rail too. Anyone have any suggestions on what else I might need?
(#2)
Old

Car: 335I Touring aut. 2010 N54
Default 12-29-2016, 03:33 AM

Hmm. Maybe caused by hydrolock from a leaking injector.?
If that is the case, you might be lucky if it "only" blew the injector out, and did make any damaged to the rod and piston.
Fingers crossed

2010 E91 335I n54 Alpina B3 flash - JB4 - ** -BMS CP -Wagner FMIC Evo2 Comp. - RB Inlets - PURE Stage 2 - EOS PI - DV Irinium 5992 -Fuel-IT Stage3 Lpfp - KW Var1.- Trebila Performance flash E50
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 12-29-2016, 09:01 AM

Was the plate for retaining cylinder 1 and 2 injectors installed and installed correctly? Got a picture?

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#4)
Old

Car: 2008 335i
Default 12-29-2016, 01:30 PM

Honestly I had this happen to mine, not sure what the cause of it was. It happened when I was about 80 miles from home in the middle of butt F*** nowhere too. Make sure when you re-install that you install the plate correctly, I also notice that the metal lines on mine seemed corroded at all connecting points, so I replaced all of them.
(#5)
Old

Default 12-29-2016, 02:29 PM

http://i.imgur.com/0eMG7yU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/31ZVgqt.jpg

Here are some pictures. The first one you can see how the high pressure fuel line snapped clean off from what I can only imagine could be from the injector shooting upwards. The second one shows the metal bracket broken on the cylinder one side. Again, this must have been from the injector blowing out of its socket. The injector at the moment can be moved around freely but part of the bracket is still holding it in from being removed.
(#6)
Old

Default 12-29-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersS
Hmm. Maybe caused by hydrolock from a leaking injector.?
If that is the case, you might be lucky if it "only" blew the injector out, and did make any damaged to the rod and piston.
Fingers crossed
I don't really think that's possible... Before the incident happened I heard a weird sound coming from the engine. It sounded like air being pumped by a cylinder, the same sound an engine makes when it has no spark plugs and it's being cranked. Air moving in and out of the engine from the piston moving, so it means the injector was already out of place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08_335i
Honestly I had this happen to mine, not sure what the cause of it was. It happened when I was about 80 miles from home in the middle of butt F*** nowhere too. Make sure when you re-install that you install the plate correctly, I also notice that the metal lines on mine seemed corroded at all connecting points, so I replaced all of them.
So what'd you do to fix the issue other than replacing the lines? Just replace the injector?
(#7)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 12-29-2016, 09:55 PM

I would assume cylinder number 2 injector could be damaged as well if the tie down wasn't tighten. I would remove and inspect. I hope u didn't burn the injector port (enlarge) so the injector seal won't work properly anymore. If the injector is loose, the combustion process started eroding away at the aluminum. Good luck.

2008 535i RB Turbos, ER Charge pipe, Tial BOV, 2.3 gal BMS Meth 75/25, Dual nozzle CM10 and CM7, BMS Race Flash, 3" Down Pipe, JB4 ISO G5, N20 Map Sensor, BMS OCC, BMS PCV Valve, JB4 Mobile App, 12.3 @ 116 mph
(#8)
Old

Default 01-03-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duracell8
I would assume cylinder number 2 injector could be damaged as well if the tie down wasn't tighten. I would remove and inspect. I hope u didn't burn the injector port (enlarge) so the injector seal won't work properly anymore. If the injector is loose, the combustion process started eroding away at the aluminum. Good luck.
What would be the solution if that is the case?
(#9)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 02-08-2017, 02:13 AM

I have the same problem my injector line on cylinder 4 started leaking from the top and my car shut off and now won't start...and still don't know what to do can someone shine some light for me??
(#10)
Old

Car: Crimson Red 135i
Default 02-08-2017, 11:15 AM

If the hole in the head has enlarged due to running the engine with loose injector, you will have to replace the head. Remove the injector and see how messed up the lower part of the injector is and see if it looks like: if it is super black and carbon built up, it means you ran for a few miles with the loose injector and damage to the seating surface of the head may have occurred.

Honestly, you first thing to do is replace the injectors and the decoupler rings and the line+rail.

As a test, you could also swap a good injector into the location of the bad injector and see if it fits nice and snug, no wiggle. I am not sure of an easy way to measure any erosion that may have occurred to the head in that location with the head on. If inspecting that location and the head material looks some what clean and not burnt/carbon filled, you may be fine.

=====================
Crimson Red 2008 N54 135i 6MT
Jet Black 2008 N54 135i 6AT (Sold)