N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2010 E61 535xi 6spd
Default Engine Failure - apparently dropped a valve, but odd symptom? - 04-04-2017, 06:15 PM

Unfortunately, my N54 decided to take a dump on me LITERALLY as I was driving it to the mechanic to diagnose what I thought was a wastegate rattle. It was actually giving valve chatter under feather-light loads. Wasn't even beating on it when I got a ton of chatter for a second and then dead. :angry:

Towed it to my indy and he found that #3 plug had been munched and the cylinder view was all cruddy. No damage pics yet as we're trying to decide between going w/ a used longblock (~$2500+install) vs a rebuild ($$???).

Now here's where it gets interesting, on sheer fluke, my mechanic found that when you open the driver's door, the #3 injector spits fuel!!!! WTF?? All injectors were supposedly replaced like 10k miles ago...has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Thx, JT
(#2)
Old

Car: '09 E92 335i
Default 04-04-2017, 06:54 PM

Mileage? Sucks man
(#3)
Old
Meat Popsicle

Car: 08 BMW 335xi
Default 04-04-2017, 07:12 PM

That's scary. My 08 335xi makes a sound when I open the door and I have terrible wastegate rattle. Just got 30ff 2 weeks ago. Low boost at low to mid rpm. No misfire. No other codes. I have an injector tick noise at times sometimes it goes awhile for a bit. Noticed that about 5 weeks ago. Makes me want to check my plugs for signs. 160k miles on mind 😒

08 BMW 335XI - CPE chargepipe - Tial BOV - Jb4 ISO - DCI - VRSF 3" Kittenless **'s - VRSF 7" FMIC - VTT GC lite - 1 Precision driver
(#4)
Old

Default 04-04-2017, 08:43 PM

I will also point out that I'm running a completely stock setup @ 90k miles, minus a Stage 1 MHD flash (less than 1k miles since)
(#5)
Old
Meat Popsicle

Car: 08 BMW 335xi
Default 04-04-2017, 08:47 PM

So besides the noise before the catasrophy. Was there an symptoms prior. Misfires hesitation long crank idle rough? And or check engine light?

08 BMW 335XI - CPE chargepipe - Tial BOV - Jb4 ISO - DCI - VRSF 3" Kittenless **'s - VRSF 7" FMIC - VTT GC lite - 1 Precision driver
(#6)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 04-05-2017, 08:41 AM

If you dropped a valve in #3 it wouldn't surprise me at all that the #3 injector was damaged as well. The fuel pump primes when you open the door, so the damaged injector is probably leaking under pressure.

I'm more surprised you had a valve failure in the first place. Be curious what caused that. Broken spring?
(#7)
Old

Default 04-05-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitbullN54
So besides the noise before the catasrophy. Was there an symptoms prior. Misfires hesitation long crank idle rough? And or check engine light?
No misfires that I could detect, cranking didn't seem significantly long, idle upon start-up was intermittently rough, but not terribly common.

I don't have the exact list of codes, but it was throwing HPFP failure, misfire, lack of boost...it was frequently going into limp mode for a couple days prior to the incident. Again, not every time and ran fine until the limp mode condition. I will say though that the chatter was definitely more noticeable when in limp mode...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB
If you dropped a valve in #3 it wouldn't surprise me at all that the #3 injector was damaged as well. The fuel pump primes when you open the door, so the damaged injector is probably leaking under pressure.

I'm more surprised you had a valve failure in the first place. Be curious what caused that. Broken spring?
Can't say yet what the exact issue is - maybe a super lean condition caused the damn thing to snap off?

Are you certain about the fuel pump priming upon opening the door? It just seems like a super odd functionality...
(#8)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i
Default 04-05-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblinfool
No misfires that I could detect, cranking didn't seem significantly long, idle upon start-up was intermittently rough, but not terribly common.

I don't have the exact list of codes, but it was throwing HPFP failure, misfire, lack of boost...it was frequently going into limp mode for a couple days prior to the incident. Again, not every time and ran fine until the limp mode condition. I will say though that the chatter was definitely more noticeable when in limp mode...

Can't say yet what the exact issue is - maybe a super lean condition caused the damn thing to snap off?

Are you certain about the fuel pump priming upon opening the door? It just seems like a super odd functionality...
Yes the pump primes as soon as the door is opened. Basically makes the car ready to start.

2007 BMW 335i Montego Blue
2011 BMW X5 35d Black Sapphire Metallic
2002 BMW 325i
2005 Yamaha R6
2002 Acura RSX Type-S
(#9)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 04-05-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:

(#10)
Old

Car: BMW 335I / VW 2.0T
Default 04-05-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d21spike
Yes the pump primes as soon as the door is opened. Basically makes the car ready to start.
The LPFP primes the HPFP. Injector will leak form pressure in the fuel rail. From HPFP to Injector. Has nothing to do with opening an door...
(#11)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 04-10-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwetish
The LPFP primes the HPFP. Injector will leak form pressure in the fuel rail. From HPFP to Injector. Has nothing to do with opening an door...

I have no clue what ur actually saying, however, when and if the hpfp fails the car will still run off the lpfp. This is fact. So it is possible for the injector to spray.

2008 535i RB Turbos, ER Charge pipe, Tial BOV, 2.3 gal BMS Meth 75/25, Dual nozzle CM10 and CM7, BMS Race Flash, 3" Down Pipe, JB4 ISO G5, N20 Map Sensor, BMS OCC, BMS PCV Valve, JB4 Mobile App, 12.3 @ 116 mph
(#12)
Old

Default 05-05-2017, 12:49 PM

Still no update on the cause. Engine is about to be pulled - probably next week.

Beyond having to settle for an 86k replacement for $2450/shipped, I've been busy sourcing "while you're in there..." parts:

- AR ___-less D-Ps
- ER Charge pipe
- VRSF 7" HD FMIC
- BMS OCC
- RB PCV
- Walnut-blasting gear and media
- new HPFP (under warranty)
- clutch
- water pump
- new #3 i12 injector (going to have them all shipped out for flow testing)

Hopefully, the turbos aren't shot. Otherwise, add them to the li$$t.

Last edited by gamblinfool; 05-07-2017 at 10:32 AM..
(#13)
Old

Default 05-06-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Hopefully, the turbos aren't shot. Otherwise, add them to the li$$t.
LOL - I'm quoting myself.

Anyway, I've been reading as much as I can on turbo options given the very real possibility of them needing replacement.

But from what I gather, it's probably more of a no-brainer that I'm going to have to replace given that they're stockers from a 90k-mile car, not to mention whose engine just took a dump, right...?

Given the whole "while you're in there" approach because of the labor associated with replacing them with the engine still in the car, I can't see how I can get away from it.

The crappy part of all of this is that I'm not in the best financial position at the moment to absorb another hit like this. But, unfortunately, it seems the writing is on the wall.

My power goals are relatively modest compared to most as I have an MT-xi E61. I'm not some kind of idiot that's going to be tracking a wagon, but I do want it to have some zip and surprise some people while staying somewhat stealth.

Other than the above mods, I don't really plan on going much further than a LPFP so I can run E85 - no PI, meth, etc...with that in mind, I'm leaning toward the (please no negativity) VTT Stage 2/2+, maybe the GC-Lites, if I had to reach, only because it seems like a more "wholly-engineered" setup vs just re-working stock housings to accept upgraded components, unless I'm mistaken. But again, $$$ comes into play. The installation kit is a must, and you pretty much have to throw in inlets...

Is my logic sound?
(#14)
Old

Car: 335i coupe
Default 05-06-2017, 03:05 PM

Very good choice going with VTT. Great product, service and ease of installation. I would definitely clean (walnut blast) valves and get inlets too. New index 12 injectors, plugs and coils

07 335i AT/CUSTOM 6870 GEN2 ST/VAC ENGINE AND STAGE 3 HEAD/FABFACTORY INTAKE W/PI/1000HP AD FMIC/FUEL IT STAGE 3 LPFP/HKS BOV/BL COILS/DUAL OIL COOLERS/RB EXTERNAL PCV/PD TRANY W COOLER/M3 FRONT N REAR SUSPENSION W/ROUGE BEARINGS/HOTCHKIS ADJUSTABLE END LINKS/ADUSTABLE REAR TOE ARMS AND CAMBER LINKS/EIBACH SWAYBARS/BC RACING BR COILOVERS AND CAMBER PLATES/AKG REAR SUBFRAME, DIFF, REAR SHOCK BUSHINGS/POWER FLEX BUSHINGS/WAVETRAC REAR DIFF WITH DEFIV BRACE AND VAC COVER/4IN EXHAUST
(#15)
Old

Car: 09 335i
Default 05-06-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
.....VTT Stage 2/2+, maybe the GC-Lites, if I had to reach, only because it seems like a more "wholly-engineered" setup vs just re-working stock housings to accept upgraded components, unless I'm mistaken....

Double check the VTT site. I believe even their Stg2 ant 2+ turbos will begin to be 'casted' housings soon. Going with a set of Stg 2+'s myself in a couple more month
(#16)
Old

Car: 2007 e60 5 series
Default 05-06-2017, 06:30 PM

Have you looks into Frankenturbos n54 cast set, there is a beta tester pushing over 500, with a great price. Before you go purchasing a motor, look into what caused your damage and make sure it's something that can be saved. Hope you get her on the road soon
(#17)
Old

Default 05-07-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichale
Very good choice going with VTT. Great product, service and ease of installation. I would definitely clean (walnut blast) valves and get inlets too. New index 12 injectors, plugs and coils
Remaining I-12's (1 yr old) and new one for #3 are all being sent out for inspection and flow tested. Coils are 1 yr old too. Plugs are a given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Clipper
Double check the VTT site. I believe even their Stg2 ant 2+ turbos will begin to be 'casted' housings soon. Going with a set of Stg 2+'s myself in a couple more month
Yup - well aware! Hopefully, they're ready to go now. Probably will have to pull the trigger within a few days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorB
Have you looks into Frankenturbos n54 cast set, there is a beta tester pushing over 500, with a great price. Before you go purchasing a motor, look into what caused your damage and make sure it's something that can be saved. Hope you get her on the road soon
Thanks - but after reading that smoldering poo-pile of a thread that guy has been running, I think I'll pass. Not saying that it isn't possible that he could put out a decent product, but I completely disagree with his approach to things. I'd rather cough up the extra $$ for peace of mind.

We moved on purchasing a replacement engine (86k, AT) because of the damage observed - completely jacked plug that was near impossible to remove and ostensible cylinder/piston damage. Later even found that the valve cover had a slight crack in it...The true cause will not be known for a few weeks (and, ultimately, may not be completely identifiable), but of course we'll be looking into it as time allows going forward. My approach is to just eliminate as many of the potential causes as possible.
(#18)
Old

Car: 2011 335is
Default 05-08-2017, 07:23 AM

Why are Pure Stage 2's not on your list? I'd highly consider those

2011 335is DCT | DocRace 6266 | HPF Gen 2 3.5" Exhaust | Stett Stage 2 Oil Cooler | CSF Aluminum Radiator | AD-E 1000 HP IC | Fuel-It Stage 3 Pump | AD-E PI | MFactory LSD | MFactory Axles | YCW Coilovers | SSP Spec R | M4 Flywheel
(#19)
Old

Default 05-08-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1320
Why are Pure Stage 2's not on your list? I'd highly consider those
I definitely considered them. Their website leaves a little to be desired from a description standpoint though.
(#20)
Old

Default 05-19-2017, 02:49 PM

VTT Stage 2 goodness arrived via UPS yesterday! :D
(#21)
Old

Default 05-19-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
VTT Stage 2 goodness arrived via UPS yesterday! :D
Lucky ass congrats dude
(#22)
Old

Default 05-19-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Clipper
Lucky ass congrats dude
Thanks! But there's big, gaping hole in my bank account now though!
(#23)
Old

Default 05-19-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks! But there's big, gaping hole in my bank account now though!
Im sure it wont hurt as much when you make your first 11.5 or lower pass at the track