N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2010 535i xDrive wagon
Default e60/61 Oil level changes frequently... - 01-31-2019, 09:23 AM

Moving this from 5series.net since there wasn't much going on with it over there...

This is my first BMW so maybe this is normal, but about two weeks ago I got an "Engine oil level below minimum" warning which was a shock because probably once or twice a week I will check the level in iDrive and it is always full.

Since then I have been leaving the oil level screen up on the iDrive screen and have noticed that it fluctuates all over the place. I typically do my testing while driving but I've also done it on flat ground. I've attached some pictures so show the various levels I've seen over the last couple of days. Is this normal? Am I missing something here? The part that scares me is that sometimes it'll show that it is full, other times it shows just above the minimum line. I don't want to add oil if it's full but at the same time I don't want to run low.

When I check the oil level I am using the suggested process in the owner's manual by driving it for "at least 6 miles".
Attached Images

(#2)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 02-04-2019, 02:19 PM

Does you car have an oil cooler?

DON'T buy VRSF D.Ps or inlets! I have them and their fitment sucks! Running their FMIC with no issues.
HKS BOV, BMS DCI, BMS Meth Kit
JB4 w/MHD-BMS E85 Backend Flash
Custom Map 6 21.5 psi (E70 mix)
Walbro 450 LPFP - 4 Bar TMAP Sensor - Muff Delete
SAT Transmission Flash/retrofit (Thanks to Wedge!)
AD Engineering Oil thermostat - Rob Beck PCV Valve
Installed all the parts myself.
(#3)
Old

Default 02-05-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpro88
Does you car have an oil cooler?
Just the stock one, nothing aftermarket...
(#4)
Old

Default 02-05-2019, 04:26 PM

Have you had any work done on your car recently?
What oil do you use?
When driven in the upper RPM range for a few min, does the oil level raise or lower? Like if you were cruising on the highway and your oil level was at 3/4th full, then you punch it for a few pulls...does the oil level go up or down?

These cars don't have a dipstick, so I'd recommend you do an oil change, pull the oil level sensor and replace it, start the car up and take it for a drive. If the cars oil level changes just like before, remove the new oil level sensor, clean it off really well and if it looks like new, return it - its a $200 part... just don't use it for a month then return it because that sh1ty.

DON'T buy VRSF D.Ps or inlets! I have them and their fitment sucks! Running their FMIC with no issues.
(#5)
Old

Default 02-06-2019, 09:32 AM

No, nothing has really changed recently (last month). The car was pretty neglected with regards to maintenance so I've been slowly bringing it back to where it needs to be.

The first thing I did after purchasing the car was an oil change using the FCP Euro kit that came with "LL-01 Liqui Moly 5W30 synthetic oil". I haven't found any real rhyme or reason as to why the levels change, but I can try your suggestion and see what happens.

I have a **** ton of parts coming in so that I can replace the water pump and oil pan gasket so while all of that is out I'll pull the oil level sensor and give it a good cleaning to see what happens.
(#6)
Old

Default 02-06-2019, 10:05 AM

I know for my 535i, whenever I pull the oil cooler off, I typically drain it so it doesn't leak all over the garage. When I put it back in the car and fill the car with oil, the oil level will say its full, then a day or two later it will say its down nearly a half quart...this is because the thermostat for the oil cooler opened thus filling the oil cooler, it doesn't do this unless engine temps are above 200 degrees (or close). I typically fill the oil cooler with new oil after I put it in and before I attach the hose from the thermostat.
If oil levels go down when you are more on the gas and go up at idle, I would say you might have clogged oil filter or something is limiting the flow of oil after the oil pump. I would look at what your oil pressure is.
Also it may sound silly, but is your car level when you measure the oil? I noticed that if i just did an oil change, the car doesn't show oil at max even when the car is leveled and has been idling for a while...then after driving the car around I typically check the oil level on the highway at a 60mph cruise, the oil level typically rises the 2nd time I measure it but doesn't drop or fluctuate like yours. I use liqui moly 0w40.

(#7)
Old

Car: E93 335i 2007
Default 02-07-2019, 03:14 PM

Last week replaced the Thermal Oil Level Sensor (located in sump) that fixed the level issues. In addition, also replaced the Oil temp sensor, along with the coolant temp sensor (below OFH), everything is sweet now!