N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Thumbs up Fixed my WG rattle with a spring and a hook. - 05-27-2016, 12:16 PM

I noticed my rattle had increased to epic proportions when I first started putting my windows down this spring. I tried all possible JB4 adjustments that I had used over the years and nothing helped. Horrible rattle especially on decel. Checked all the HW, vacuum, etc. There was a ton of side-to-side play in the rear WG arm and hinge.

So today I went back to a solution I head read about a long time ago. Hooking a spring to the WG arm.

Basically, you hook a small, flexible spring to the WG arm, and then hook it up on the metal wiring/hose shelf just above there using hooks. I had tried it before, and it didn't seem to work.

This time I tried something different. I noticed the play in the WG hinges was side to side, so I hooked the spring but instead of going straight up, went sideways towards the passenger side wheel. Then I wrapped it around the outlet pipe at a 90 degree angle and then upwards, where I attached it to the metal shelf. This pulled against the WG arm from the side, in the direction of the play, instead of upward. Firm pressure but not too tight.

My WG rattle is completely gone now! I think it may even be better than when I got the car 40k miles ago. I can't believe how much better it is. I was already preparing myself for turbo replacement. The car even feels like it boosts more smoothly especially in the lowest RPMs.

I was afraid it might interfere with the movement/function, but it seems to perfectly fine in my testing.

Low-resistance tension spring similar to this (needs to be stretchy and flexible, not too hard), plus a metal hook I made from old coat hanger. Will have to see how it holds up to engine heat, might need a bigger one if it breaks

Attached Images

(#2)
Old

Car: BMW 335I / VW 2.0T
Default 06-01-2016, 10:02 PM

Where did you get the springs from?
(#3)
Old

Car: 2008 335 AT
Default 06-01-2016, 10:06 PM

hells yes, you should make a kit, sell it, and make millions
(#4)
Old

Car: E92 335i MSport
Default 06-02-2016, 01:18 AM

How is this currently working out bud??

Does anyone know the pivot/movement of the wastegate, as in which way it moves when it opens and close?

Good thinking, really hope it doesn't cause any damage
(#5)
Old

Car: BMW 335I / VW 2.0T
Default 06-02-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky87
Does anyone know the pivot/movement of the wastegate, as in which way it moves when it opens and close?
Here you go Hank!
Attached Images

(#6)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Default 06-02-2016, 08:22 AM

I had the spring already in a box of misc springs I collected over the years. You could probably buy one at a hardware store under tension springs.

It is still working very well. I do get a bit of rattle during up-shifts which I always had even before it got worse this spring. Maybe a tiny bit still under certain light acceleration. The most horrible rattle during deceleration and revving is still gone though. I haven't changed any JB4 settings since I installed this (60/26) but the rattle could definitely not be fixed with software adjustments.

Obviously this only helps the rear turbo and not the front one, so of course I expected some would still happen.

I've driven the car a few hundred miles at least including some hard driving and haven't had any issues (at least that I didn't have before), although I haven't logged. The spring is flexible so I don't think it should affect the in and out movement. The pulling force is firm but not enough to cause undue friction in the system, I can still move the WG by hand easily including a little side to side play. Might cause a little more friction in the hinges due to the force applied, but I can't imagine that would be worse than the damage the rattling causes.

I'd be interested to see if this actually helps someone else with this type of rattle or if mine is just a one-off. Normal disclaimers apply of course.
(#7)
Old

Default 06-03-2016, 01:34 AM

Thank you very much for that vwetish!

I am tempted to give it a go, as my rattle especially since putting the JB4 has got excessively worse and is almost constant on deceleration just got to find the right spring hook now.
(#8)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Default 06-03-2016, 12:52 PM

Good luck, let me know how it turns out.

Oh and be careful not to drop it! It is a hard area to reach and then you have to manipulate it around the pipe. I tied a string to mine.
(#9)
Old

Default 06-04-2016, 02:36 AM

Ok thanks for the heads up!

How long does the tension spring ideally need to be? And you just did the one turbo not both?

Thanks
(#10)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Default 06-04-2016, 06:59 AM

It was probably around 2 inches not including the hook parts. It wasn't a very strong spring so it was stretched a bit when in place. I don't know where this spring came from, it had pretty long hooks at either end already. The wire part you'll have to adjust based on where you hang it and how much tension you want. I could only reach the rear one, so I don't know if it is even possible to do this for the front turbo. The rear is usually the main offender for rattle though.
(#11)
Old

Default 06-06-2016, 01:55 AM

Ok well that all gives me a pretty good starting point, thanks again.
(#12)
Old

Car: 2009 E60
Default Fixed my WG rattle with a spring and a hook. - 10-02-2019, 09:21 PM

Is the spring still a valid solution for the wg rattling? Or did the rattling return?
(#13)
Old

Car: e92 335iA
Default 10-07-2019, 01:47 AM

The problem is not the sound but the fact that wg is not closing properly due to a wobble in that respective wg shaft. So yes, up to a certain moment this could be a fix but in a long run you need to change the shaft guide (cheap china aliexpress ones last like 10k miles or so, poor material choice I guess) to ensure proper function.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. [Mario Andretti]
(#14)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Default 10-07-2019, 08:36 AM

It didn't work long-term. Helped for a short time, but as the WG wore out more it was no longer effective. Also my front WG started rattling more as well.

The JB4 Alternative WG Rattle Algorithm setting (in FutureUseD) works more effectively. You could still try my old mod, but probably not worth it.