N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2015 BMW M235i
Unhappy Did something stupid with my JB4 :( - 03-17-2017, 10:39 PM

I had to unhook my JB4 to get a service at the dealership. When I got home I re-installed it but was unable to switch maps through the steering wheel. The car was running perfectly though but instead of going back in the house to get my laptop to see if the JB4 was working I just unplugged the JB4 module (not the harness or positaps) and then tried to start the car.... Engine light came on as well as a powertrain malfunction. My scan tool read 7 codes pretty much all related to the sensors being unplugged. This told me that the JB4 was working I just couldn't switch maps through the steering wheel. I got my laptop, hooked the module back up, started the car and found that my JB4 was still in map 2 where it was when it was disconnected. Still cannot switch maps through the steering wheel though. I cleared all of the codes, engine light turned off after a bit and car was running fine. After a quick trip down the highway though I got another powertrain malfunction and the car went into limp mode When I got it home I disconnected the JB4 and removed it completely. Now I have 4 codes that will not clear using my scan tool

B2AAA - Body (unknown)
P007B - Charge Air Cooler Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1
P007D - Charge Air Cooler Temperature Sensor Circuit High Bank 1
P0193 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input

The CEL is no longer lit and these are stored codes but are still registering as active codes. Spoke to a tuner mechanic and he said it is pretty hard to blow the DME with the JB4. I tried the TMAP ground bypass and my scan tool still will not clear the codes. All of my sensor connections are secured. I am going to check fuses today to see if I could have blown them???

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Any suggestions?
(#2)
Old

Car: 235i
Default 03-18-2017, 07:50 AM

Is it a ewg or an old board?
If old style board did you connect the proper ground and power?
(#3)
Old

Default 03-18-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread1
Is it a ewg or an old board?
If old style board did you connect the proper ground and power?
It's the new G5 board but still using the old PosiTaps into the DME wires.
Attached Images

(#4)
Old

Default 03-18-2017, 08:20 AM

The car seems fine.... I drove it around without the JB4 and the engine light isn't coming on... It still has those stored codes that I can't get rid of. I checked the fuses and nothing is blown. I ordered new sensors just in case I damaged them when I started the car with just the harness attached....
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-18-2017, 08:43 AM

1) You read faults via the JB4 interface
2) Maybe you disconnected CANbus or disabled wheel controls in the JB4 settings. Photo of user adjustment page?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Default 03-18-2017, 09:04 AM

"1) You read faults via the JB4 interface
2) Maybe you disconnected CANbus or disabled wheel controls in the JB4 settings. Photo of user adjustment page?"

I don't have that kind of interface. Its PosiTapped not CANbus via OBDII. I had to hold volume down for 5 seconds until the shifter light went dim and then selected the map by pushing volume up. I never plugged the data cable into the laptop.

I read the codes via my Torque Pro app and I have an OBDII scan tool. The codes happened when I turned the car on with just the harness plugged into the sensors. The JB4 module was unhooked. The codes persisted after uninstalling the JB4.

I checked fuses and nothing is blown but the codes will not clear. I also tried the ground bypass on the last page of the .pdf document. The codes are not causing an engine light. They are stored codes but they will not clear??
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-18-2017, 09:48 AM

posi-taps are beyond obsolete. Update to OBDII.

Regardless you can still connect via BMS data cable or JB4 mobile to JB4 box to read actual fault codes. OBDII scanners don't show hidden BMW faults.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#8)
Old

Default 03-18-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
posi-taps are beyond obsolete. Update to OBDII.

Regardless you can still connect via BMS data cable or JB4 mobile to JB4 box to read actual fault codes. OBDII scanners don't show hidden BMW faults.
Yeah I know they are obsolete but Map2 was enough for me. How to change maps and set everything up was way too complicated. I also need a new harness to hook up the OBD II adapter and I wasn't interested in spending the money on the new harness.

So hooking up the data cable I can read and clear codes using the JB4? I will try that now then!
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-18-2017, 10:04 AM

The OBDII add on is $35, then you load different firmware to the JB4 box using a BMS data cable or JB4 connect kit.

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old

Default 03-18-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
The OBDII add on is $35, then you load different firmware to the JB4 box using a BMS data cable or JB4 connect kit.
I just ordered the OBD II connector the day this happened but I thought I also needed a new harness without the PosiTaps.

I will wait to get it in the mail. My ECU wires look pretty chewed up from those PosiTaps. I would rather not find a new spot to draw blood on those thin wires.
(#11)
Old

Car: M235i
Default 03-18-2017, 11:15 AM

Related question. If you unplug jb4 at the obd port does the dme still see the sensors that jb4 is hooked up to, or will it read that none of them are hooked up?

If you want to temporarily plug in another bt dongle can jb4 just be unplugged temporarily? Will car just read stock? Or will it read that none of the sensors are connected?

2016 M235i EWG N55 - Empty exhaust - Charge Pipe - Intake - FMIC - WMI kit dual cm5+cm7 - JB4 FF and EWG Wires.
(#12)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-18-2017, 11:53 AM

If you want to remove the JB4 you need to remove the JB4 wiring harness, not the JB4 box from the wiring harness. It takes like 20 seconds.

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old

Default 03-18-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
If you want to remove the JB4 you need to remove the JB4 wiring harness, not the JB4 box from the wiring harness. It takes like 20 seconds.
That's what I figured. The ewg sensor is just a pia when the engine is hot.

2016 M235i EWG N55 - Empty exhaust - Charge Pipe - Intake - FMIC - WMI kit dual cm5+cm7 - JB4 FF and EWG Wires.
(#14)
Old

Default 03-18-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmwilson125
Related question. If you unplug jb4 at the obd port does the dme still see the sensors that jb4 is hooked up to, or will it read that none of them are hooked up?

If you want to temporarily plug in another bt dongle can jb4 just be unplugged temporarily? Will car just read stock? Or will it read that none of the sensors are connected?
DO NOT try to start your car with the JB4 removed and the wiring harness still attached. I did it stupidly as a troubleshooting step and that is how I got my current issues. Remove everything! My car started without the sensors but now I have multiple codes I cannot get rid of.
(#15)
Old

Default 03-18-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_M235i
DO NOT try to start your car with the JB4 removed and the wiring harness still attached. I did it stupidly as a troubleshooting step and that is how I got my current issues. Remove everything! My car started without the sensors but now I have multiple codes I cannot get rid of.
Oops I did this to code car with iCarly obd2 tool. No issues though. I did not drive car or move it. Maybe I just got lucky. I will double check and make sure I don't have codes that jb4 is clearing.

I have changed maps since and have about 1000 miles on it with no apparent issues. I was hesitant to do it but ended up unplugging it with engine off.

I feel like an idiot now

(#16)
Old

Default 03-18-2017, 12:33 PM

This may be a stupid question but you did unhook the battery terminal as you were removing and re-installing the JB4 right? IMHO it is definitely not a good idea to unhook the JB4 module and start the car with the wiring harness attached. In the future if you wish to remove the jb4 unhook the wiring harness completely and re-install the factory sensors before hooking up the battery terminal and starting the car.

Last edited by Drake_M235i; 03-18-2017 at 12:41 PM..
(#17)
Old

Default 03-18-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake_M235i
This may be a stupid question but you did unhook the battery terminal as you were removing and re-installing the JB4 right?
When I install and uninstall the jb4 yes. When I pulled the plug I just had the car off. The. Turned it on left it in park, coded and re plugged it in.

(#18)
Old

Default 03-18-2017, 12:51 PM

Fyi just turned auto clear codes off and tried reading codes. Only one that came up is maf code and I'm running mafless. Maybe it's just dumb luck for me. I won't be doing that again

(#19)
Old

Default 03-18-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmwilson125
When I install and uninstall the jb4 yes. When I pulled the plug I just had the car off. The. Turned it on left it in park, coded and re plugged it in.
When i installed my ******** on my M235i several months ago I did the EWG harness on the same day. I did the ******** first and then proceeded to unhook the stock EWG sensor and installed the new one without realizing that I never unhooked the battery. I turned the car on and lost steering wheel controls and the boost on fuel gauge option. The car stayed in Map 2 but I could not log or adjust settings. I ended up having to purchase a new JB4 module and wiring harness with fixed the issue. However, the only CEL I got throughout the process was related to the ******* ******** as JB4 wasn't auto clearing the code.
(#20)
Old

Car: 2008 bmw 135i
Default 02-08-2020, 02:55 PM

are the steering wheel control setup the same on the g4 as the g5 I did a mhd bef and when I went to change from oem flash to bef 4/3 to 4/2 I was set on 4/7 and I switched it to 4/2 went back into it when I started it and it was set back to 4/7??? very confused