N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: M3
Default S55 Crank Hub - 08-19-2015, 02:49 PM

Terry / Others,

TPG Tuning has started to sell replacement/upgraded Crank Hubs for the S55 citing this could be a common failure even running just Map 2 boost levels. Saying it's something you've seen already. Oddly I have never seen anyone post about this in the past. How concerned should those of us running Map1/2 w/ DP and full exhaust be of this?
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-19-2015, 03:15 PM

I've seen a few spin and take the motor with it. Looks like a nice much-needed upgrade. As far as how wide spread of an issue this is going to become, I don't know. Since I heard of it occurring on a few cars that were unmodified too, I suspect its going to be a big deal down the road.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 08-19-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
I've seen a few spin and take the motor with it. Looks like a nice much-needed upgrade. As far as how wide spread of an issue this is going to become, I don't know. Since I heard of it occurring on a few cars that were unmodified too, I suspect its going to be a big deal down the road.
Oh thats not good news. Have the torpedo motors been fixed by BMW warranty do you know?
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-19-2015, 03:34 PM

Some yes some no. Depends on modifications done and whether the dealer thinks those modifications caused the failure. Since the motors are relatively new it might be a situation where they deny all modified cars short term until a clear trend emerges.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 08-19-2015, 03:42 PM

How is this noticeable?
Does the engine surge, shuts down or what will happen if the parts fails?

Engine immediately lost?

Glad I didn't install anything on my car (yet)

335i N55 DCT
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-19-2015, 03:48 PM

You get VANOS faults that won't clear or in some cases engine just stalls out and won't restart. The sort of stuff you'd expect when your timing belt breaks or is not set properly.

Burger Motorsports

(#7)
Old

Car: 2014 F10 M5 CP Frozen Grey
Default 08-19-2015, 03:52 PM

Hmm.. how about s63tu?
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-19-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotor_2000
Hmm.. how about s63tu?
Don't know. Not heard of any spinning on those personally.

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old
ElevenPointFive

Car: 2009 135i
Default 08-21-2015, 02:24 AM

Terry are you running one on your car?

2007 Porsche 997 Turbo - 6MT - Midnight Blue
Cobb Stage 1

2008 E90 335xi - AT - TSM
MHD Stage 2+ ~ BMS Intake ~ AMS FMIC ~ CPE
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-21-2015, 07:35 AM

Not yet but I'd like to get one on it. At these power levels I feel like I'm tempting fate every time I race the car now.

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old

Car: '70 E9 Turbo, '88 M5, '11 335d
Default 08-21-2015, 09:30 AM

We have a kit from TPG. We have also seen this issue. It seems stock and modified cars are prone to fail. Agreed, this will be a big one for BMW. When it happens, most commonly the car will shut down and not restart with no engine damage. We have also noticed a rough idle is a red flag sign of the keyless crank gear starting to slip. It makes sense. If the cam timing is off, rough idle.
(#12)
Old

Car: '15 BMW M4
Default 09-02-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa_16v
Will this rough idel be continuous or occasional?

How would you check for slippage?
+1.

I've got an occasional rough idle after installing the intake; I am assuming that the rough idle would be persistent and not go away after warm up. Or am I wrong?
(#13)
Old

Car: '70 E9 Turbo, '88 M5, '11 335d
Default 09-02-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa_16v
Will this rough idel be continuous or occasional?

How would you check for slippage?
For us it was continuous. This is not a way to diagnose this problem. I just mentioned it because it's something I noticed, then soon after the crank gear slipped.
(#14)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 09-03-2015, 12:28 PM

Anyone know how difficult it is to replace?

15' M4 : JB4 : BMS intake : Meisterhaft full exhaust : AR DP's : MSR Charge ***** : H&R Sport Springs / 08' E92 335i : Montego Blue : JB4-G5 : DCI : BMSMeth : BMSoilCC : VRSF DP's : VRSF Front Mount : 19" Vertini Magic : Bridgestone RE-11 : Carbon CSL Trunk Lip : MtechRearBumper : Mtech FrontBumper
(#15)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 10-25-2015, 08:15 AM

Looks like I may have a spun crank gear.... VANOS faults, long crank, rough idle, drivetrain malfunction indicator as soon as I turn on ignition... which started popping up about 200-300 miles ago while driving, with a slight rough idle. I would turn car off and it would be fine for a while then pop back up. As of Friday night, I can't get the drivetrain malfunction to stay off for more then a couple minutes after turning car off and clearing codes also the idle is very rough and cranks over about 1-2 seconds longer then usual.

As you can see I had suspicions of this as I was the last guy back on Sept.3rd asking questions on this thread.

Here is a picture of the codes that continue to pop up...
[IMG][/IMG]

15' M4 : JB4 : BMS intake : Meisterhaft full exhaust : AR DP's : MSR Charge ***** : H&R Sport Springs / 08' E92 335i : Montego Blue : JB4-G5 : DCI : BMSMeth : BMSoilCC : VRSF DP's : VRSF Front Mount : 19" Vertini Magic : Bridgestone RE-11 : Carbon CSL Trunk Lip : MtechRearBumper : Mtech FrontBumper
(#16)
Old

Car: 2015 F80 M3
Default 10-26-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caruso0644
Looks like I may have a spun crank gear.... VANOS faults, long crank, rough idle, drivetrain malfunction indicator as soon as I turn on ignition... which started popping up about 200-300 miles ago while driving, with a slight rough idle. I would turn car off and it would be fine for a while then pop back up. As of Friday night, I can't get the drivetrain malfunction to stay off for more then a couple minutes after turning car off and clearing codes also the idle is very rough and cranks over about 1-2 seconds longer then usual.

As you can see I had suspicions of this as I was the last guy back on Sept.3rd asking questions on this thread.

Here is a picture of the codes that continue to pop up...
[IMG][/IMG]
The guy who had the same issue and had his replaced was also tuning his car.

To be honest with you, months ago when these cars were just hitting state side and people were picking them up, I had heard from my CA that this particular car was not handling the extra torque and power down low due to piggy back tunes and that not one but two of his clients had issues with the crankshaft and transmissions. Very similar symptoms if not identical but back then I didnt know about this issue. I bet now that it was the same issue. Whatever part bmw is using just can and will fail for some owners.

Long story short, I am certain that whatever the rod bearing was for E9X, this issue will be the same for this platform. And if I were an F8X owner and I was until a year ago, I wouldnt tune the car knowing this issue. Way, way, way too involved of a repair reading that thread in bimmerpost. That guy got very lucky taking off his down ***** and JB4, you or the next guy may not be.

S63TU has its own share of problems with tuning and component wear. Not as bad, but still. Spark plugs and injectors to name a few. You gotta pay to play or just not tune. I honestly dont know what everyone does with all that power.) These cars are so powerful in stock form, most of this tuning is for bragging rights
(#17)
Old

Car: 2011 E92 335xi
Default 10-27-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerStig
The guy who had the same issue and had his replaced was also tuning his car.

To be honest with you, months ago when these cars were just hitting state side and people were picking them up, I had heard from my CA that this particular car was not handling the extra torque and power down low due to piggy back tunes and that not one but two of his clients had issues with the crankshaft and transmissions. Very similar symptoms if not identical but back then I didnt know about this issue. I bet now that it was the same issue. Whatever part bmw is using just can and will fail for some owners.

Long story short, I am certain that whatever the rod bearing was for E9X, this issue will be the same for this platform. And if I were an F8X owner and I was until a year ago, I wouldnt tune the car knowing this issue. Way, way, way too involved of a repair reading that thread in bimmerpost. That guy got very lucky taking off his down ***** and JB4, you or the next guy may not be.

S63TU has its own share of problems with tuning and component wear. Not as bad, but still. Spark plugs and injectors to name a few. You gotta pay to play or just not tune. I honestly dont know what everyone does with all that power.) These cars are so powerful in stock form, most of this tuning is for bragging rights
Yeah it was me. Running 28psi for about 3 months clearly accelerated the rate of wear. Anyone can go into the dealer (as long as DP/JB4 is out) and get warranty work IF you have a good relationship with your tech. It's the tech who would report anything that is tuner related. So no, it wasn't luck.

Next time you take your car to service, find out who the tech is for your car, tip him $50, and I guarantee you'll be set for any future warranty work.. as long as you can show the tech you appreciate him.

Btw, if you wouldn't tune your car or think its for bragging rights.. why are you on this site lol?
(#18)
Old

Car: 2015 F80 M3
Default 10-27-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy
Yeah it was me. Running 28psi for about 3 months clearly accelerated the rate of wear. Anyone can go into the dealer (as long as DP/JB4 is out) and get warranty work IF you have a good relationship with your tech. It's the tech who would report anything that is tuner related. So no, it wasn't luck.

Next time you take your car to service, find out who the tech is for your car, tip him $50, and I guarantee you'll be set for any future warranty work.. as long as you can show the tech you appreciate him.

Btw, if you wouldn't tune your car or think its for bragging rights.. why are you on this site lol?
Hahaha maybe I like bragging too! To be honest, anything including E9X M3 and models that came after is way too powerful for public roads. We all know this, but we love these cars and this is our passion so we just keep doing it anyways

I m glad it worked out for you.

I havent been as fortunate with warranty work when it comes to mod. I was called out numerous times by SAs for having "illegal mods" or "extremely aggressive tunes" for just having an intake and catback section 3 exhaust. Every dealer is different. It does make me think twice before doing any sort of ecu/jb4 tuning though knowing full well its a one way road with no going back. Repairs on these cars are extremely expensive and BMW has been upping their game on detecting this kind of thing and denying warranty.

Any repair that requires a field engineer visit is pretty much a massive headache for the owner. Magnusson moss act does protect us but the burden of proof lies with the owner not the other way around. I actually had an automotive attorney explain this to me and its a small detail but makes a big difference. Most people will say "dealer has to prove the tune caused such and such". That is wrong. The law is very clear.

1. The dealer cannot void your warranty under no circumstances.
2. The dealer can deny a warranty claim for whatever reason and does not have to prove anything to you.
3. You can retain a lawyer and sue the dealer/manufacturer and prove in the court of law that the modification did not cause the issue. At this point, the dealer and manufacturer can also be liable for all charges incurred including legal fees so technically you can be paid back. But, the responsibility lies with you to prove your case.

I know all of this and the modifications I make to my car are within my comfort zone and I dont lose sleep over it. I bet more than half of m3/4/5 owners dont understand the law, a good percentage of it wouldnt be able to afford a hefty repair bill, and if explained the law properly, another good percentage wouldnt go extreme modding route like supercharging, new turbos, meth, etc.

I think intake, exhaust, jb4 stage 1 is all within reason. Anything beyond this is you are playing with fire.
(#19)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 10-27-2015, 02:51 PM

does this problem affect autos primarily, or 6 speeds, or both?
(#20)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-27-2015, 08:45 PM

The problem with this hub is that we suspect it's a factory defect. Like poorly torqued bolt or defective bolt. But it's hard to prove. And its easy for the dealer to claim the extra power caused it. So until a TSB comes out showing its an issue with the car going crazy with mods is living dangerously. Fortunately when the bolt does back out few cars seem have major damage and TPG has a good repair/upgrade kit.

Burger Motorsports

(#21)
Old

Car: 2015 M4
Default Spun my crank hub gear - 01-28-2016, 04:50 PM

I am a BMW client advisor. My M4 is actually in the shop right now for this issue. It is an issue even the technicians say its just a press fit and cannot handle the power. I ordered the TPG crank hub kit so this wont happen again. I actually cracked the gear and it welded itself to the crank hub. Its nice to be able to go back there and see the issues in person. Mine is covered under warranty I just purchased the TPG kit on my own. I ended up bending some exhaust valves luckily they have some in country. Intake valves there is only 2 in country. Pistons are good still luckily.
(#22)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-28-2016, 08:27 PM

What a PITA... That one issue concerns me most about the S55 as a reliable performance platform going forward.

Burger Motorsports

(#23)
Old

Default 01-28-2016, 10:28 PM

Yep.... 3 times already...

AWE Non-Res Exhaust | AWE CF Intake | AWE ColdFront | ER DP | ER Chargepipes | JB4 Stage 3 | Custom SS Methanol | Swift Springs | TPG/DSS 1200hp Axles | Dodson Superstock DCT Clutch | PURE Stage 2 Hi-Flo
(#24)
Old

Default 01-29-2016, 07:42 AM

I heard some of the TPG hubs have failed too. Anyone heard of this?
(#25)
Old

Default 01-31-2016, 11:26 PM

Make that the 4th time now.

AWE Non-Res Exhaust | AWE CF Intake | AWE ColdFront | ER DP | ER Chargepipes | JB4 Stage 3 | Custom SS Methanol | Swift Springs | TPG/DSS 1200hp Axles | Dodson Superstock DCT Clutch | PURE Stage 2 Hi-Flo