N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: '07 335i 6MT
Default MSD80, replaced MOSFET, 30BA came back, MOSFET test good - 02-02-2018, 04:18 PM

A week ago, after not running the car for a while, I start her up and she is running like ass. Multiple misfire codes, 30BA. I didn't let it run more than 30 seconds before pulling the code.

Pulled the DME and sure enough, I had continuity (short) on the MOSFET for injector #1.

I bought the Digikey MOSFET's everyone gets and had a TV repair shop replace all 6, as my soldering skills are too rusty to be practicing on my DME.

Put her back together yesterday, start it up and she is idling perfectly. Let her run for a good 10-15 minutes as I reassemble everything. Took it for a test drive - good for about 4-5 minutes. Oil temp is at 160. I get on it a bit (maybe hit 8-10psi) and bam - heavy misfires again.

Same code - 30BA and multiple misfire codes. I nurse her home. Pulled her apart again this evening, tested ALL of the MOSFET's (including the others I didn't replace) and all pass the continuity test.

Hmmm, now what. Recent things with the car:
- Replaced the valve cover (and gasket, PVC, bolts, etc.) a little over 200 miles ago
- Test drove her, beat the hell out of her to make sure everything was good and ended up getting a misfire. Found the misfire moved with the coil - that coil ended up being the original 2007 coil (had a couple other originals and the others had various date stamps from this decade). I found a "deal" (now wondering if it was one) on Amazon for 6 coils for $89: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Replaced the plugs with another set of NGK's. Ones I pulled looked fine, but it was getting to be that time and I was already there, so why not

Drove 200 miles with plenty of beating on her (JB4, MHD BEF, DCI and a CP/BOV are my only motor mods). No issues until starting her after not running for a couple of weeks due to the weather.

Any ideas before I start throwing parts at her? My first assumption would be coil packs and that's sure cheaper than injectors (which are not the originals and not under the recall). Second would be to replace a bank of 3 injectors and obviously code for them, which I can do myself.

Edit: I just threw in my old coils (that were not having an issues when I pulled them) in Cylinders 1-3. Same deal, running like garbage as soon as I started it. I fear I had a dead injector and I still don't trust those coils. Fortunately, it appears there is a newer injector out now that is cheaper (13538648937 ) - found them for $105 shipped each. I just ordered 6 Eldor coils, as 2 of the AA coils broke their top clips when pulling them. Found the Eldor's for $130 shipped for all 6 - wish I just went with those from day one.

Last edited by Nitrousbird; 02-02-2018 at 06:34 PM..
(#2)
Old

Car: 08 535xi
Default 02-03-2018, 02:01 PM

From what I seen in the past, a blown mosfet will sometimes take out a coil or an injector, probably the injector...

08 535Xi - jb4 iso w/mhd flash, Bms dci, AR ********* **, er cp with forge dv, second *** delete, muffler delete, xhp trans flash, ets fmic, bms oil tstat bypass.
(#3)
Old

Car: 335i, 2009
Default 02-03-2018, 06:35 PM

I agree with the above. Might be time to move some plugs and coils around to isolate. If problem stays, swap around injectors, but dont forget to put them back where they belong. Doing this will help start to isolate if the problem is fuel delivery or spark.

335i E90 2009 ///M Sport Auto
Mods: | Wagner Intercooler | MeowPipe | Meth-Trunk | JB4 | Pump_Back_End_Flash | Fuel-it! Stage 2
Drivetrain--------ForgeStar F14 Wheels 18" (245 & 275 PS4) | XHP L3 Transmission Flash | Wavetrac LSD
Suspension-------KW V3 Coil Overs| M3 RSF Bushings and Dif Bushings | H&R Sways

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
Stock

(#4)
Old

Default 02-04-2018, 07:01 AM

I already swapped coils as I said above, so that isn't it. I just ordered 6 Eldor coils and 3 injectors, so hopefully that will fix it.
(#5)
Old

Default 02-16-2018, 05:24 PM

I swapped the bank one injectors tonight and coded. No dice. I'll do the coils this weekend but I fear the DME might be toast. Obviously I'll swap my old plugs in just in case.

But let's go after the worst case scenario:
- Same bank one code
- All new coils
- Different injectors on that bank
- Swapped plugs

If all of that doesn't work, is there ANYTHING else I can do other than replace the DME? I'll do the MSD81 retrofit if I do, but I'm not looking to do that.

What really sucks about this process is that it is winter and the car is parked outside. Though our garage will hold 3 cars, the wife gets one spot (non-negotiable, and her car is worth the most compared to my Cadi-truck and BMW). The other two spots house our wakeboat, which is worth more than all of them, so it will stay comfortably parked. So until we get around to getting our detached garage built, outside wrenching is my pain.

Last edited by Nitrousbird; 02-16-2018 at 05:53 PM..
(#6)
Old

Default 02-17-2018, 06:45 AM

I think my DME is toast. Finished up this morning:
- Swapped all 6 coils to my new Eldor coils (those other coils were just garbage...work or not, they will never see another engine)
- Swapped plugs on cylinders 1,2,3 to the old plugs that had no issue

Result:
29CC - Multiple Misfires
29CD, 29CE, 29CF - Combustion misfires Cylinders 1,2,3

30BA - Injectors 1, 2, 3 or DME internal fault.

Already swapped the MOSFET's AND checked them again after having the problem. Looks like I will need to contact Vader Solutions for a DME swap.
(#7)
Old

Car: E92 335i 6MT
Default 02-25-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird
I think my DME is toast. Finished up this morning:
- Swapped all 6 coils to my new Eldor coils (those other coils were just garbage...work or not, they will never see another engine)
- Swapped plugs on cylinders 1,2,3 to the old plugs that had no issue

Result:
29CC - Multiple Misfires
29CD, 29CE, 29CF - Combustion misfires Cylinders 1,2,3

30BA - Injectors 1, 2, 3 or DME internal fault.

Already swapped the MOSFET's AND checked them again after having the problem. Looks like I will need to contact Vader Solutions for a DME swap.
One of those 3 mosfets probably isn't soldered down well enough, or the traces were damaged in the repair process (common if not using air). Sometimes, the installer puts too much heat to the chip, but I've never seen that just heard of it.

Have the chips heated up and seated better, usually that's the problem.

Edit- looks like you already had them checked and swapped again if I'm understanding that correct. Probably the board then. That's the risk of the repair, when it works you're set forever on that problem, but sometimes rarely the repair breaks other things. Msd81 option is still there for ya.

Last edited by v8bait; 02-25-2018 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: Reading
(#8)
Old

Default 03-10-2018, 07:52 AM

Well, she is alive as of last night. I had Vader Solution take care of getting me a MSD81 matched to my CAS. I swapped everything in and reset all adaptions via MHD. Only issues:

- 2nd time starting the car, it freaked the f' out. Every dash light on, idle was going up/down constantly. Restart had the same issue except no throttle response at all. Fully shut her down, sat for a minute, restarted and haven't duplicated the problem since. Only code was a throttle body error.

- FRM is now on the fritz. Happened right after the 2nd start. All sorts of errors, though all the lights work. Headlamps fire inconsistently. Mind you, I swapped out my original FRM2 that died a slow death with another used FRM2 3 months/200 miles ago. Can't tell if this is related or not.

Took her out for a 10 minute, JB4 only beating last night and ran great. Just did my BEF this morning but haven't drove her yet, though she started fine. Perhaps I "only" fried my FRM again...probably another $100 down the drain but at least she runs.