N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Vintage

Car: F10 N55 PWG
Default F10 535i JB4 PWG + OBDII install > Pics - 06-03-2017, 11:30 AM

Thought i would add some pics for the F10 guys since there is not many pics online that detail some portions of the install.

This is where i routed the OBDII cable, tied up the slack and taped it up.

Untitled by 5soko

I popped out the rubber plug via the instructions, mad a small cut in it, ran the OBDII wire thru it, and re-installed it for a cleaned look.

Untitled by 5soko

Here you can see i ran the OBDII JB4 wire under the wether stripping
Untitled by 5soko, on Flickr

OBDII plugged in under the dash and ready to go.

Untitled by 5soko,

JB4 mounted straight as to give the most flush look when the plastic cowl goes on top and in place, one wire tie to hold the JB4 to the plastic tray.

Here you can see where i routed the JB4 harness under the weather stripping, and under the engine cover.

Here you can also see the Red power wire coming out of the JB4 to the 10MM nut it connects to with the plastic cap ontop of the nut.

Can see also the black ground wire from the JB4 mounted to the silver HEX bolt on the bottom..

After the OBDII plug install, please dont forget to connect the JB4 USB to your computer, access the JB4 interface, go to "User Adjustment" Tab on the top and change "Future Use D" option to 2. Enter the number 2 and press save on the bottom. Ignition off, lock car and wait 5 minutes, as per instructions.. Open car, turn engine on, and you should have full access to in dash controls via the BC button.

* Sorry for the bad quality pic

2014 F10 535i N55 PWG

Last edited by 5soko; 06-03-2017 at 11:45 AM..
(#2)
Old

Car: 2013 535 M-Sport
Default 06-07-2017, 07:11 PM

Is the connection where you put the red wire a switched power source, or is that always hot?

2013 535 M-Sport, JB4, BMS intake
(#3)
Old

Car: 535i GT
Default 06-08-2017, 11:12 AM

Wondering the same thing. Would love to avoid getting the battery drain warning on startup.
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-08-2017, 11:18 AM

If you are getting a battery warning on the F10 then try relocating the power wire from constant to switched.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 06-08-2017, 11:48 AM

Awesome! Thanks Terry!
(#6)
Old
Vintage

Default 06-08-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sku01
Wondering the same thing. Would love to avoid getting the battery drain warning on startup.
Your getting it from the jb4? Everyday or?
Just wondering because i havent heard many accts of it

2014 F10 535i N55 PWG
(#7)
Old

Default 06-08-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko
Your getting it from the jb4? Everyday or?
Just wondering because i havent heard many accts of it
Yes from the JB4. Once removed, it stops. Power is connected direct to the jumper post. I am sure that the fix will work since the power is switched. I'll update tomorrow or after I have some time to test.
(#8)
Old
Vintage

Default 06-08-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
If you are getting a battery warning on the F10 then try relocating the power wire from constant to switched.
How common is this issue Terry?

2014 F10 535i N55 PWG
(#9)
Old
Vintage

Default 06-08-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sku01
Yes from the JB4. Once removed, it stops. Power is connected direct to the jumper post. I am sure that the fix will work since the power is switched. I'll update tomorrow or after I have some time to test.
wow, lol i just recieved the battery discharge warning this morning! -__- thats annoying. Havent driven the car in two days

2014 F10 535i N55 PWG

Last edited by 5soko; 06-09-2017 at 03:30 AM..
(#10)
Old

Default 06-09-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
wow, lol i just recieved the battery discharge warning this morning! -__- thats annoying. Havent driven the car in two days
Right, I don't drive my car every day either and I get that message. I suspect it is the Bluetooth that is drawing power and this may also be the reason why not everyone has this issue.

(#11)
Old
Vintage

Default 06-09-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammin
Right, I don't drive my car every day either and I get that message. I suspect it is the Bluetooth that is drawing power and this may also be the reason why not everyone has this issue.
Yea, i have a brand new JB4 PWG w/OBDII and data cable, no bluetooth.. warning only came up after car sat for a few days.. so its a very slow draw..
The issue is def because the JB4 is tapped off directly from the main power cable from the battery.. so i would assume this alternative power source which shuts off with the ignition will forever end this issue.. Will prob give that a go this weekend..

2014 F10 535i N55 PWG
(#12)
Old

Default 06-09-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Yea, i have a brand new JB4 PWG w/OBDII and data cable, no bluetooth.. warning only came up after car sat for a few days.. so its a very slow draw..
The issue is def because the JB4 is tapped off directly from the main power cable from the battery.. so i would assume this alternative power source which shuts off with the ignition will forever end this issue.. Will prob give that a go this weekend..
Thanks! I was going to move just my BT connection to switched, but now I will move the JB4 to switched and leave the BT internally connected to the JB4. My car gives this message after not driving the car for one day. I purchased the car last year and it was a CPO purchase. They told me that my battery was new.

I assume the JB4 won't 'forget' any map 5 learning if moved to switched power source?

edit: but here is where it gets weird; if I carry my iPhone out to the car and try to connect to JB4 after the car has fallen to sleep, it won't connect. Once I open the car door via comfort access, the phone will connect. This is why I thought something was putting the JB4 to sleep and knowing the place where I connected thing is not switched, that it HAD to be the BT radio that was drawing power. At any rate, as long as the JB4 doesn't mind being on switched, that's what I'm gonna do.

Last edited by Slammin; 06-09-2017 at 11:15 AM..
(#13)
Old
Vintage

Default 06-09-2017, 06:39 PM

Alright, here is the switchable power source tap. I think this is where the power source should have been all along, i don't think the constant power source is a good idea. Unless the Jb4 needs some kind of constant power?
All Jb4 settings will continued to be save and wont have an issue according to T.

I used a doorman type wire tap, but you can use anything you like, posi-tap aswell of course.

This is something like what i used
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...SABEgL0NfD_BwE

Always start by disconnecting the negative connection on the battery.
Remove the plastic cover on the passenger side engine bay.

Unclip the harness connection via one tab press on each side so you have more room to work with on the red power wire.
Tap and press in the tap onto the only red thick wire on that harness.

IMG_3162 by 5soko, on Flickr

strip the Jb4 power wire and connect and press.
IMG_3165 by 5soko, on Flickr

Connect the JB4 power wire to the tap
IMG_3168 by 5soko, on Flickr

Plug in the harness back into place.
Reconnect battery, start car.. In dash JB4 menu should work and no errors should be visible in dash.

IMG_3169 by 5soko, on Flickr

Hopefully this cures the F10 battery discharge in the mornings for us

2014 F10 535i N55 PWG

Last edited by 5soko; 06-09-2017 at 09:15 PM..
(#14)
Old

Car: 2013 535i (N55 F10)
Default 06-09-2017, 10:26 PM

Nice find, I was working on getting power through to the fuse box behind the glove box but this will be much easier.

2013 F10 535i N55 PWG, Pure Stage 2, Wagner FMIC, ER Charge pipe, ER **, BMS Intake, JB4, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP, Fuel-It Platinum PI Kit, BootMod3 Flash, Remus Exhaust, Custom In-let, N20 TMAP.
1999 e36 M3 - Track Car
(#15)
Old

Default 06-15-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Alright, here is the switchable power source tap. I think this is where the power source should have been all along, i don't think the constant power source is a good idea. Unless the Jb4 needs some kind of constant power?
All Jb4 settings will continued to be save and wont have an issue according to T.

I used a doorman type wire tap, but you can use anything you like, posi-tap aswell of course.

This is something like what i used
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...SABEgL0NfD_BwE

Always start by disconnecting the negative connection on the battery.
Remove the plastic cover on the passenger side engine bay.

Unclip the harness connection via one tab press on each side so you have more room to work with on the red power wire.
Tap and press in the tap onto the only red thick wire on that harness.

IMG_3162 by 5soko, on Flickr

strip the Jb4 power wire and connect and press.
IMG_3165 by 5soko, on Flickr

Connect the JB4 power wire to the tap
IMG_3168 by 5soko, on Flickr

Plug in the harness back into place.
Reconnect battery, start car.. In dash JB4 menu should work and no errors should be visible in dash.

IMG_3169 by 5soko, on Flickr

Hopefully this cures the F10 battery discharge in the mornings for us
Amazing! Let us know how it goes!
(#16)
Old

Car: F10 535i M-Sport
Default 06-15-2017, 11:56 AM

Thank for this and great timing as I will be reinstalling my JB4 w/BT this weekend!
(#17)
Old

Car: 2013 535i (N55 F10)
Default 06-15-2017, 12:55 PM

I have moved over to this switched power source for the JB4, PI Controller and Ethanol Sensor and it is working well. No more discharge notices. No issues with any of the components.

2013 F10 535i N55 PWG, Pure Stage 2, Wagner FMIC, ER Charge pipe, ER **, BMS Intake, JB4, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP, Fuel-It Platinum PI Kit, BootMod3 Flash, Remus Exhaust, Custom In-let, N20 TMAP.
1999 e36 M3 - Track Car
(#18)
Old
Vintage

Default 06-16-2017, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-MCRacer
I have moved over to this switched power source for the JB4, PI Controller and Ethanol Sensor and it is working well. No more discharge notices. No issues with any of the components.
Awesome!
My car only thru a battery discharge error after sitting for 2-3 days.. i have been using it everyday currently but good to know its working on ur end!

2014 F10 535i N55 PWG
(#19)
Old

Car: F10 535i M-Sport
Default 07-17-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Awesome!
My car only thru a battery discharge error after sitting for 2-3 days.. i have been using it everyday currently but good to know its working on ur end!
Hey have you had a chance to confirm that this fixed your issue? I need to pick up some posi taps since right now mine is wired as stated in the original directions but want to make sure it's a solid solution before switching over.

Last edited by itzZshaan; 07-17-2017 at 08:45 PM..
(#20)
Old

Default 08-14-2017, 06:46 PM

I moved my JB4 per the above to the switched and now I get a Drivetrain Malf on every other engine start.

The errors I see in the JB4 app:

121002 MAP sensor, short to ground
120408 Reduced power mode

It doesn't matter what map I use, even map0. If I try to clear the code while the car is running it just comes right back. It goes away if I restart the car, but the next time I start the DTM comes back.

I hate the battery drain message but this is much worse! Is there something I could check to see why this is happening?

(#21)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-14-2017, 09:08 PM

If you get codes with the switched source then use the constant source. We're looking in to an upgrade for the F10 battery discharge fault.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#22)
Old

Default 08-14-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
If you get codes with the switched source then use the constant source. We're looking in to an upgrade for the F10 battery discharge fault.
It's a little scary, and alot inconvenient, getting into this limp mode. Do I have anything serious to worry about until I move it back to the constant source? I will be moving it back to constant, and just try to drive the car everyday. But I 'd hate to take a vacation and come back to a dead battery.

Please keep us updated and thanks for looking into it!

(#23)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-15-2017, 08:30 AM

Nope just a couple false alarm fault codes.

Burger Motorsports

(#24)
Old
Vintage

Default 08-23-2017, 09:49 AM

Ive had the same powertrain malfunction and short to ground faults with this new power method...

I have since activated passive delete aka auto delete, and have the exhaust valve set to open mode ( not that it matters since its a F10)

But this cured the power fault codes and powertrain malfunction from coming back up.. not sure which solved it but.....

2014 F10 535i N55 PWG
(#25)
Old

Default 08-24-2017, 07:27 AM

I had the eng malf's all day the day after I did the power mod. I have not had another one since. Very weird since I didn't change anything.